2010 Week 8

Broncos

Seems like Deion Branch isn't pulling that extra db away from Welker in the backfield like Moss used to. He'sdone basically nothing since Randy left town. I wonder what Belichick's eventually gonna do to address that?

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Brett Favre was just talking to the media 20 minutes ago. I don't think he suffered a broken jaw.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Broncos said:
Seems like Deion Branch isn't pulling that extra db away from Welker in the backfield like Moss used to. He'sdone basically nothing since Randy left town. I wonder what Belichick's eventually gonna do to address that?

The Patriots offense seems to be doing very well without Randy Moss. I wonder what Childress is eventually gonna do to address the fact that Moss has 93 yards total for his last 3 games.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
The Steelers proudly open the game with Miller and Ben as the only palefaces starting.

Broncos

Don Wassall said:
Broncos said:
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div>The Patriots offense seems to be doing very well without Randy Moss. I wonder what Childress is eventually gonna do to address the fact that Moss has 93 yards total for his last 3 games.</div>
<div>
</div><div><div>The Pats aren't moving the ball anywhere near as easily as they were before Moss left. They squeeked by Baltimore at home for a 3 point overtime victory, squeeked by San Diego for a 3 point victory, and were up by 3 points at home with under 2 minutes to go in today's game. </div><div>
</div><div>Brady's completion percentage, his touchdown to interception ratio, and quarterback rating were much higher with a shell-of-his-former-self Moss playing decoy, then they are now.</div></div>
Edited by: Broncos

Patrick

Guru
That's pretty funny - "eeked" out victories against the Ravens, Chargers and Vikings - as if those teams are considered horrible teams.

The Ravens are supposed to be one of the best teams in all of the league - in fact before the Patriots beat them (without Moss, I might add) they were considered by many to be the #1 team in the league.

snow

Mentor
whiteathlete33 said:
It's pretty true so far, Welker isn't the same without Moss.
You have to remember, he is coming off a major knee injury, he wasn't expected to come back this soon. His numbers were the same when Moss was on the team earlier in the season. He only average 10+ yards per catch in one game. His lowest was 6.3 yards per carry, happened twice, one was when Moss was playing and one was when Moss was out. As far as receptions, it looks like Brady has been looking Woodhead's way just as much, Woodhead has the ability to get more yac at the moment.
Edited by: snow

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Wes has 102 yards receiving in the 3 games after Moss. He had 153 in the last 3 games with Moss. Not a horrible drop-off there, especially compared with the "conventional wisdom" saying Wes would be done for without Moss. You know he'll be covered more; this shouldn't be a surprise.

Jimmy Chitwood said:
Woodhead with a nice run after the catch tomake a long 3rd down conversion. Green-Ellis is running well today.

I had to work all day but I just watched the highlights online. On this crucial 3rd down play, Woodhead stops, freezes then jukes the hell out of a Minnesota DB for the first down. The world must be coming to an end because I hear Deoin Sanders say "Woodhead is a playmaker." Had to rewind that one!

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Collinsworth is out of control tonight.

Patrick

Guru
Colonel_Reb said:
Wes has 102 yards receiving in the 3 games after Moss. He had 153 in the last 3 games with Moss. Not a horrible drop-off there, especially compared with the "conventional wisdom" saying Wes would be done for without Moss. You know he'll be covered more; this shouldn't be a surprise.

And if he is covered more that should open up other receivers - such as Tate. When Randy was talked about as having 1 reception in 3 games no one blinked because of what he did to the defense, why isn't the same being said of Wes?

snow

Mentor
alln2 said:
Gerhart the second receiver on his team with 67 on 5 catches.
good day for Gerhart, nice to see him finally get used significantly

Gee, I thought bigger "power" backs aren't supposed to be able to catch and put up yards like that, except for guys like Darryl Johnston, Tom Rathman, Heath Evans, Mike Alstott, Rob Konrad, Peyton Hillis, Brian Leonard, Brad Muster, Tommy Vardell, Hokie Gajan, Merril Hoge....
smiley2.gif

I wonder if this puts to rest the question on whether Gerhart can catch or not. I wonder if the ability for him to be a 3rd down back will still be doubted. I want him to get on the field any way possible. He has proved he can run with his impressive college resume and measurables, and had a good game when he was given 5 carries and got into a rhythm. He has proven he can pass block, and now he has proved he can catch out of the backfield, even if you take out the last catch that ended the game he had around 50 yards. There is no reason for him to not be used in a Chester Taylor type role now.

Pie

Guru
Speaking of... Heath Evans with a sweet 1 handed catch for a first down
Edited by: Pie

snow

Mentor
As I typed that Heath Evans made a nice first down catch with one hand. Chris said "who needs Reggie Bush when you have a fullback like that" I don't know if he was being sarcastic.

edit: hah we typed the same thing

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
It's pretty true so far, Welker isn't the same without Moss.

But, Danny Woodhead is a great player to cheer for, whose role broadened in trading Moss. He's really winning people over. Today I saw Tony Dungy give severalDannycompliments when breaking down film on Football Tonight.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Danny is fun to watch. And he is one heck of a blocker! Toby really looked good today. All he needs are TOUCHES to put up numbers. He's quicker and shiftier than most people realize. Whem he gets rolling he's a load.

The Hock

Master
I really like the way Danny W. blocks. He doesn't just get in the way. He seems to have a gift for hitting his guy right dead center as he launches into them. He pops 'em good.

He's a real football player for sure.

snow

Mentor
The Hock said:
I really like the way Danny W. blocks. He doesn't just get in the way. He seems to have a gift for hitting his guy right dead center as he launches into them. He pops 'em good.

He's a real football player for sure.

Yeah thats a good description, Ben Leber was blitzing and I thought he would get past Woodhead, Woodhead popped him like a fullback pops a linebacker. Amazing power for his size, it would still be good power for someone that is 220 pounds.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Is it just me or is Eric Weddle one of the top safeties in the league? He had 11 total tackles last night, tops for the game.

Tom Iron

Mentor
A few things

In defense of the Jets getting rid of Danny Woodhead, Sanchez has little touch on the ball and could never deliver the ball to him like Brady does on those short passes. So they wouldn't have been able to use him right anyway. Also, Woodhead makes his case by blocking for Brady. In those situations where the back has to take a fake handoff and then block, the Patriots aren't going to trust the other guy. Nor do I think Green-Ellis could catch the ball like Woodhead.

Gerhart is an interesting situation. I think Farve is washed up and should be benched so everyone can see what a bad QB Jackson is. But if Jackson gets to run the team, he'll never be able to use a guy like Gerhart either. Number one, he couldn't throw correctly like Farve and number two, he'd do what he had to, to make Gerhart look bad. That's the way it works with blacks.

Kuhn is getting some runs with the Packers. Look for him to get used more and more. Same with Jordy Nelson.

Amemdola is now well established in the Rams game plan.

Tom Iron...