2009 Cleveland Browns

celticdb15

Hall of Famer

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
It looks like they are shopping Quinn to trade him now too. I hope he gets out of there fast, I wouldn't mind him going to the Redskins, I think he would be a good fit in Shanahan's offense. He has been screwed over more than any QB in recent memory.

bigunreal

Mentor
Brady Quinn is about to labeled a "bust" in the same unfair sense that Heath Shuler and Cade McNown were. Never given a chance to be "the man," only a handful of starts, awful supporting cast, and intense competition the entire time. Oh yeah, and the unrelenting hatred of dwfs and jock sniffers in the media.

Now, compare how he is being practially written off already with the way dwfs and jock sniffers are demanding that Jason Campbell be given a FIFTH year as uncontested starter. I think half the local jock sniffers in the media will walk out in protest if the Redskins take a QB with the 4th pick in the draft. Then there is David Garrard- why is he still the uncontested starter? Where is HIS competition? And the "promising" Josh Freeman of Tampa Bay- where is HIS competition? Freeman had 10 TDs and 18 interceptions last season. How does that show any "potential?" Compare his rookie year to Shuler, McNown, Leinart- any despised white QB you can think of. They all compare favorably.

Cleveland has added the immortal Seneca Wallace, released the far more talented Derek Anderson and they will trade Quinn. Rumors are that they are bringing in the washed up Jake Delhomme. That would be a custom fit-he is perfect for the Gus Frerotte/Brooks Bollinger role of "backup who is one of the few QBs not obviously superior to the uncontested afflete starter." I am going to venture that Quinn will not be traded to a team that will give him a legitimate chance to start.

Why would a team like the Browns waste a first round pick (and money) on a QB, then never give him a real chance to be the unquestioned starter? Meanwhile, why would a supposedly legitimate sports media never question this, or how it contrasts with the YEARS of uncontested time given to Jason Campbell, David Garrard, etc., or the way that Tampa Bay isn't even thinking of bringing in legitimate competition for Josh Freeman. At the same time, these same jock sniffers solemnly tell us that the Cardinals will "definitely" be bringing in a veteran to compete with Matt Leinart, who has never been given a chance and still has produced far better than Freeman has, for instance. What's next- will someone trade for Troy Smith and give him a chance to start? Does Sean King still have "poise?" Who will be Garrard's backup? Freeman's? Campbell's? Your candidates are: Rex Grossman, Nark Brunell, Dan Orlovsky.... maybe they can bring in Joey Harrington. Is he still playing? Edited by: bigunreal

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Derek Anderson was awesome in 2007, making the Pro Bowl after "coming out of nowhere" to be the Browns' starter and almost leading them to the playoffs. When the talent around him rapidly deteriorated the next season not surprisingly so did his performance. But no one is interested in him as a starter, and Quinn is likely also to be consigned to bust status or at best a backup despite not having been given a genuine opportunity to prove himself.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Not good news for Evan Moore, though Moore is such a superior pass receiving talent that he should pass Watson after his racial apprenticeship is deemed over:

Browns signed TE Ben Watson to a three-year, $12 million contract with $6.35 million guaranteed. Watson chose Cleveland over Browns president Mike Holmgren's former team, the Seahawks. Though Evan Moore flashed pass-catching potential down the stretch, he remains a raw talent. The Browns fill a position of need while Watson receives his much-needed change of scenery. Cleveland's subpar passing attack, though, leaves him as a low-end TE2 in fantasy circles.

backrow

Hall of Famer
from rotoworld.com:

Browns re-signed restricted free agent LB Jason Trusnik to a one-year, $1.684 million contract.

A pleasant surprise for Cleveland after being acquired in-season in the Braylon Edwards trade, Trusnik racked up 62 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 11 games. He will most likely return to a backup/special teams role in 2010.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
from rotoworld.com:

Browns re-signed restricted free agent LB Jason Trusnik to a one-year, $1.684 million contract.

A pleasant surprise for Cleveland after being acquired in-season in the Braylon Edwards trade, Trusnik racked up 62 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 11 games. He will most likely return to a backup/special teams role in 2010.
I see. 6 tackles a game, plus a couple of sacks for a guy not asked to rush the QB much, plus white = special teams demon. As they promote some overhyped black scrub to be the starter. I guess with Seneca Wallace as your probable QB starter, what else could be expected?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I guess they consider Seneca Wallace an upgrade over Quinn and Anderson. Just watch the Browns struggle even more this year. Now if Furrey was the starter last year.......

dwid

Hall of Famer
I don't think Delhomme is washed up, he had one really bad year but I think he has some gas left in the tank. Last year it looked like Steve Smith and other guys gave up on him, weren't giving it 100 percent running the right routes, half assing routes making it easier for dbs to jump the routes and pick off the pass, plenty of his interceptions were balls that bounced out of receiver's hands...

He was going to sign with the Saints if he couldn't find a team to give him a chance to start, being that its only a few hours away from his home town. If he is not starting this season then something fishy is up because he is definitely better than Wallace, even at this point in his career. I would hate to see him go all the way to Cleveland to end his career the way he started it, backing up a lesser talented black quarterback. It would have made more sense just to keep Anderson and groom Quinn as the future starter. Edited by: dwid

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Well the Browns traded Quinn for Hillis. Will Peyton get a chance to run the ball in Cleveland???

JReb1

Mentor
Hillis better get a chance to run the ball...
smiley7.gif

I think Jake D has a chance to have another run at being a top QB for a few seasons, kind of like Warner after he left the Giants when most thought he was also washed up.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
JReb1 said:
I think Jake D has a chance to have another run at being a top QB for a few seasons, kind of like Warner after he left the Giants when most thought he was also washed up.

I agree. Sometimes a change of scenery can rejuvenate a QB's career. He might thrive in Holmgren's West Coast offense. Of course, Seneca Wallace may be the starter and Delhomme the backup. "Team chemistry" and all. . .

Mangini is kind of hard to figure. He had a very White draft his first season as the Jets head coach then quickly switched gears. He started bringing in White players the second half of last year and the Browns quickly improved. But Mikey Holmgren is the one calling the shots on personnel.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Browns acquired FB Peyton Hillis and two conditional draft picks from the Broncos in exchange for QB Brady Quinn.

Hillis was heavily underutilized by Josh McDaniels in 2009 after averaging 5.0 YPC and scoring six all-purpose TDs on 82 touches as a rookie. He's a candidate for significant snaps in Cleveland as a potential short-yardage complement to Jerome Harrison. With Lawrence Vickers entrenched as the Browns' lead blocker, the versatile Hillis will be freed up to carry the football.

we shall see, even rotoworld seems to think Peyton might get touches. how is Browns oline?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Yes, we were talking about this in the Hillis thread, but it's good to start chat here too. The only direction to go from here for both Quinn and Hillis is up! I don't trust "Mikey" Holmgren though. I guess we may now see the Hillis thread in a new location this season (Browns) with more depressing pessimistic diatribes coming along. Let's just keep our fingers crossed! One good thing is that if Hillis runs the ball well in Cleveland- we won't hear the,

"Well, any tailback can succeed in that zone blocking scheme."

I hope Denver gets what they deserve for keeping Slowshon over Hillis! It might wake some DWFs up!

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I'd love to see Hillis get carries, but with The Walrus running the show, you never know. The left side of the Brown's O-Line with Thomas, Steinbach, and Alex Mack is pretty good. The right side seems to be a different story, although they did sign Tony Pashos recently.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Browns trade for Chris Gocong. They could have Fujita, Gocong and Roth all starting this season, plus they still have Jason Trusnik. As of now they have 3 Whites starting on defense (depending on how Gocong is defined), 4 White o-linemen, and Delhomme. Hillis may end up as a starter; Evan Moore should be at TE but they signed the awful Ben Watson and Robert Royal. . . I don't know, it's still very hard to any faith in Mikey Holmgren, and Eric Mangina has mostly been a disappointment as well though things started to turn around the second half of '09.

Browns acquired CB Sheldon Brown and LB Chris Gocong from the Eagles in exchange for LB Alex Hall, a fourth-round pick, and a fifth-round pick. The 31-year-old Brown, still playing at a high level, went on the trading block with the Eagles unwilling to sign him to a long-term deal. He'll receive a new contract and move into the Browns starting lineup opposite Eric Wright, eliminating the need for a corner at No. 7 overall. Gocong, a better fit in the 3-4 defense, could start opposite Matt Roth on the outside. The Browns did well to plug two defensive holes for a pair of mid-round picks.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I consider Gocong a caste buster and will continue to root for him.
smiley1.gif
Don't forget, DL Brian Schaefering can still get some time in the Brown's rotation too. Jason Trusnik will also get playing time this year. Evan Moore will hopefully be the recieving TE of the group, it's not like Watson or Royal are any good at that. But yeah, I have to agree with Don, I wouldn't trust Holmgren.

Meanwhile, the Eagles just got blacker again.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Jack Lambert said:
Meanwhile, the Eagles just got blacker again.

No way!
smiley36.gif

Gocong's a good pickup. Athletic guy that can play DE as well as LB. He actually led the NCAA in sacks one year at Cal-Poly, as a defensive end.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I wonder if Mike Furrey will be playing safety or WR this coming season?

It's a toss up...he had 98 catches as a WR on offense with Detroit, and played great at safety for St. Louis the year before. I personally think he'll have more success on defense in Cleveland.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer

FootballDad

Hall of Famer

guest301

Hall of Famer
FootballDad said:
Nice article by MJD in regards to how the Browns stumbled upon an outstanding WHITE OT.  This is a nice illustration of how YouTube and proper promotion is changing the game a little and getting around the "official" draft evaluation toadies.  The highlight video is impressive as well.  Of course this guy was off of everyone's radar.  Hopefully, the coaches can see past his whiteness.
<div> </div>

There was a article about this massive kid in yesterdays Akron Beacon Journal/sports page. Hope he makes it.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Mike Furrey might rejoin Mike Martz in Chicago...

From Article:
"Granted this is 2010 and not 1999, but the Browns would not be doing McCoy any favors with a suspect right side of an offensive line and a inconsistent corps of wide receivers who could possibly lose their most consistent player in Mike Furrey to Chicago as reported by ESPNChicago."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/387325-browns-ranked-27-in-espn-power-rankings-colt-should-sit-in-2010Edited by: Thrashen