Wide recievers

M

mattgianone

What do people think the chances are San Fran. will cut or release all 4 white wrs on their roster before game 1? Hastings, Beiler, Long and Jurovich.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
What do people think the chances are San Fran. will cut or release all 4 white wrs on their roster before game 1? Hastings, Beiler, Long and Jurovich.

10 to 1 they do.

dwid

Hall of Famer
depends on how many are eligible for practice squad. I don't know if Harbaugh has complete control over everything, you would think he would remember winning with White receivers, sure some of them were called tight ends but they ran routes just like a receiver. Ryan Whalen as a receiver, tons of White tight ends lined up in 2 and sometimes 3 tight end sets that Luck would pass out of. Never had a problem getting open. Lance Long has a chance to contribute and Jurovich has potential. I don't know much about the other two. Lance Long had 4.3/4.4 speed at his pro day and a great shuttle time. It takes some receivers a few years to develop. Even though he timed great in the 40 I remember Cardinals fans saying he didn't play like that on the field. For some reason fans get mistaken that 40 yard dash means 100 yard dash. If a player takes a play 40 yards but gets caught from behind he is considered having average speed. 40 yards is 40 yards. He might not run 100 yards fast but he runs 40 yards fast, and it is probably more front loaded.

Jurovich also ran a similar time, in the 4.4 range and other great measurables. I haven't really seen too much of either play except for a few clips, but apparently Jurovich has shown more on special teams. They are both around the same size, so that could be the deciding factor.

So I think one makes it, either Long or Jurovich and hopefully one of the others makes it to the practice squad.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
From what I've seen so far the 49ers are going to be one of the blackest teams in the league. A horrible, mostly sumo o-line, the drafting of Kaepernick to replace Alex Smith, an all-black defense except for aging Justin Smith, I see little to be hopeful about.

M

mattgianone

I think 1 could make the team and 2 could make the practice squad as I am not very impressed with Ted Ginn or Braylon ( i drop 50% of my passes ) Edwards. Of course dropping numerous balls is alright if you are the right melanin. I really think down the road Beiler and Hastings could contribute somewhere.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
In fairness to Edwards, he just made it on to the top list last year of least drops- despite being one of the top pass droppers over his career.

Ginn hasn't done much in his career and even his kick return averages aren't all that good (I just recently checked).

I'm a little more optimistic: I think Jurovich could make it as the stereotypical "Welker role" prospect. Additionally, Hastings, Beiler or Long could make the roster. I don't think Long is eligible for the practice squad, but Hastings and Beiler are. In other words 2 tops could make the roster and two tops could make the practice squad, but one is destined to be out of a job in San Fran. The only way 3 of the white WRs make the roster and the other the PS is if San Fran decides to keep 7 WRs, but I think Harbaugh will cave to pressure and want to separate himself from the Stanford image- so I think Hell might have to freeze over for that to happen.

Out of the afroletes, Crabtree and Edwards are locks to make the roster at this point and Ginn and Morgan are close to locks.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I guess it would be possible if Long is one of our guys that makes the 53 man roster- along with one of the other guys that the other 2 both make the PS. We should stay positive. Last year saw lots of positive things happen for white athletes and the success of white athletes could cause lots of teams to copy cat.