Why did Hester have to go to the Chargers

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I watched the preseason game yesterday and Jacob Hester looked very good with 49 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns. Itgot me thinking however how unfortunate it is that he will not play much at all with LT getting 95% of the touches. It's the same situation with Brian Leonard on the Rams. Why couldn't both of these guys have went to a team that did't already have a probowl running back? It really sucks because both will probably continue to see the majority of time at fullback blocking people instead of running the ball. You talk about bad luck. These guys are the most talented white running backs and they are just on the wrong teams. Look at what happened with Mike Hass and David Ball on the Bears. It could happen to both of these guys. I hope I'm wrong but maybe somehow, they can go to another team after their 3 years and fight for a starting running back spot! Edited by: white lightning

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I agree the Chargers is not a good situation for Hester and the rams arent for Leonard. However being they are both white they would have trouble fighting for a starting spot on ANY team in the league. Leonard is already capable of starting and putting up decent numbers but this won't happen anytime soon if at all. Its just like with Danny Woodhead being too small. Look at Garrett Wolfe hes even smaller.Edited by: whiteathlete33

Jacob Hester gets some goal-line attempts: The Chargers have plans to use Hester in a variety of ways -- as a fullback, H-back and backup running back. Hester got two shots to run the ball at the goal line -- which he converted for touchdowns -- maybe showcasing another role for him in the future

this is what NFL .com had to say about Hester (no mention of the 21 yard he had)

i didnt see the game but glad Hester showed he has the talent to play runnng back

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Unlike the Rams, the Chargers have a good offensive line, which will help Hester when he gets opportunities to run. They are mostly white and should play all out on plays designed for him, which doesn't seem to always be the case in the NFL when whites are running the ball. The Chargers also had a couple of blacks playing fullback last night and they were both being praised. The best situation would be for Hester to take over Michael Turner's role (plus being used more as a receiver than Turner was) on what should be an excellent team offensively, and be seen as the heir apparent to LT.

Leonard I feel sorry for. He's being misused and the Rams look awful again so far on offense. Their o-line was a joke last year and the return of the much over-rated and over-hyped Orlando Pace isn't going to make much of a difference.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Orlando Pace got owned by Vand Den Bosch in their preseason game. He look slow getting burned repeatedly, never got pointed out, the announcer just kept saying, "Van Den Bosch in on the stop". I saw Brian Leonard bust off a 12 yard run spinning out of a tackle by the cornerback. The Black commentator commented by saying " i've never seen that happen to The Titans defense". Never seen what? A white boy running the ball? It looks like the Rams will get another top 5 pick and spend it on another black ot for next year!

James

You go to the team that drafts you, its that simple. In the NFL you never know when a starting back will get injured and LT has been pretty fortunate to avoid most major injuries throughout his career. Hester's time will come.
Its good for rookies at skill positions to learn the system.

C Darwin

Mentor
Hester went to the chargers for the same reason Leonard went to the Rams. Those two teams have established, quality tailbacks who don't have to fight for their position.

I think it's a well established caste rule that white skill players can't be drafted to fill a position that is 'in need'. Edited by: C Darwin

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I must say, I dont wish injury on many players...but it would be great to see the racist LT go down this season. This universal "nice guy" decided to make a pathetic, racist statement about Jacob Hester (exposing his jealously of Hester's talent).

I actually think LT is incredibly overrated. I think most RBs could run behind his great white OL.

I too think Hester will get his chance. I really dont care about admitting it...I want to see LT get hurt. We can call it "caste-karma," I guess.

James

Star Takes Rookie Under His Wing

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

"LaDainian Tomlinson watches a lot of college football. He knows his stuff, especially about running backs.

One of the players he watched closely last season was LSU's rugged tailback/fullback Jacob Hester. Tomlinson admired Hester, who was a key cog in the Tigers' championship season. Tomlinson was impressed.

When the Chargers moved up in the third round to take Hester last weekend, Tomlinson had a smile on his face.

"I'm very familiar with him," Tomlinson said of his new backfield mate. "He can do a lot of things to help us."

Hester was put to work right away at the Chargers' minicamp this weekend. The Chargers have a need at both tailback and fullback and Hester is expected to play both positions. San Diego lost key backup tailback Michael Turner who left to Atlanta as a free agent. The team cut fullback Lorenzo Neal.

Hester admitted that he was in awe a bit seeing all of his new teammates. But Tomlinson put him at ease.

"You don't want to be star-struck in the huddle," Hester said, laughing, "But L.T. has already been helping me on the field."

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think Tomlinson made that remark about Hester maliciously. It's the kind of thing one hears all the time, ritually repeated by athletes, media and fans alike. That doesn't excuse it, but Tomlinson strikes me as one of the most decent black players in the league, someone who genuinely cares about his team doing well and who doesn't draw undue attention to himself. He seems to have been brought up well. He's also one of the very best running backs of the past 20 years, behind Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk and maybe no one else. Edited by: Don Wassall

James

dwid said:
heh makes me think lt is doing "the pretend to be your friend and give you all the wrong advice thing"
Its more likely that LT is doing the "rookies get no respect till they earn it, no matter what position they play" thing.
LT went through it when he was a rookie. Most likely Hester is carrying LT equipment and fetching him water and gatorade when he wants it. Rookie hazing is an old and time honored tradition in the NFL. Everybody goes through it.