White Defensive Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteCB

Master
Don Wassall said:
Mitch Meuwsen was a heck of a safety for Oregon State but was completely ignored by the NFL.  Let's hope Piscitelli has a better fate at the next level.

Mitch was a hell of a safety and it really gets to me when a player of his caliber is ignored by the NFL due to just his skin color.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
white cornerback alert!

the University of Hawaii has a player to keep an eye on...he's another white (or so he looks) player with a Spanish surname. A.J. Martinez, a junior, is a very interesting prospect.

A.J. didn't play a down of football from 2002 through the JUCO ranks up until last year when he was a special teamer. Now the versatile, and very impressive, athlete, who was originally recruited by team's like USC and Oregon State coming out of high school, is expected to take over at left cornerback. here's his player bio with a pic: link

and here's another photo:
martinez_aj.jpg

he looks white to me... good luck A.J.!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
a young defensive back to keep an eye plays for one of the blackest schools in the country. South Florida sophomore free safety Danny Verpaele carries on a family tradition, taking over the spot his brother recently vacated. here's his player bio: link

after being named a third-team freshman all-American, Danny was poised to breakout last season before the injury bug bit him. here's what Fox sports has to say about him: Appearing to be on the verge of huge things after a 57-tackle freshman season, Verpaele missed all of last year with a foot injury. He bulked up 15 pounds to be a bigger hitter, but he'll move from strong safety to free safety to take better advantage of his 4.4 speed. He's great at getting into the backfield with the timing to be used as a dangerous blitzer.

DANNYVERPAELE1150.JPG

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Northern Illinois' free safety Dustin Utschig is about as underrated as they make 'em. last year the unheralded safety was No. 1 on his team in total tackles, solo tackles, forced fumbles, and interceptions, and he finished No. 2 in pass deflections... but still earned no pre-season all-conference recognition!
smiley7.gif
here's his player bio: link

regardless of his anonymous status to the world-at-large, Caste football is aware that Dustin is a tremendous player who forms a very good, and all-white, safety tandem for the Huskies with teammate Mark Reiter.

Dustin breaking up a pass:
1202zips.jpg

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good information guys! Keep it coming.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
another outstandiing SS/FS hybrid is Houston's Rocky Schwartz. blessed with outstanding speed and leaping ability, the undersized Rocky (5'11", 195 pounds) is probably the best defensive player on Houston's roster. here's his player bio: link

after being named to C-USA's all-freshman team in '04, he followed it up with a few all-conference honors last season. expect him to do even better this time around. he has been the team's leading tackler the last two years, which doesn't say much about the rest of the team but does show that he never misses a tackle. also has 16 pass break-ups and 4 interceptions to show that he is superb at playing the ball in the air. Rocky was even named pre-season all-conference at cornerback by one publication, although more than likely that was a type-o.
smiley1.gif
additionally he is also a decent kick returner should the need arise.

Rocky's mug:
251345.jpg

whiteCB

Master
Northern Illinois sure loves their white DBs. First a white CB and now a starting safety tandem. With all these white DBs somebody better tell them this is D1 football. lol

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
he has been mentioned in passing in another thread, but Texas Tech cornerback Daniel Charbonnet is getting recognized, again, by the guys over at Draft Daddy.

CB Daniel Charbonnet ~ Texas Tech, from Duke -- Can it be that a Duke transfer heading to Texas Tech really runs a sub 4.4 in the 40 yard dash?....A natural cornerback/track star, who started a few games outside for the Blue Devils as a true freshman in 2004. However, with Vincent Meeks and Dwayne Slay headed to the NFL, Charbonnet "might" start out at safety for the Red Raiders. Regardless, this 5' 11", 200 pound speedster (who once ran a 4.32 40 in front of college recruiters) belongs at cornerback in the Big 12. Houston area native could become a huge fan favorite at Texas Tech.

that is the same comment they posted a while back, but the fact that the DD guys have re-visited Daniel in their All-Transfer Team thread means they have seen great things in him. i can't find any pics of him in action, but here's his player bio at Texas Tech with a pic, but it has no other info... link

here's a link to his Rivals profile as found by KG2422: Daniel

KG2422 has also shared that Daniel has a younger brother who is a senior in high school and is even faster! good luck Dan!

just think, with TT's Dan and A&M's Jordan Peterson, the Big 12 may have two starting white corners this season!
smiley32.gif

From Draftdaddy.com:

A prospect we were very impressed with in 2004 and 2005, who is
beginning to create quite a "buzz" this off-season, is Wyoming senior
safety John Wendling, who has always been noted as a big hitter and a
sure tackler.

While most who have watched the rugged Cowboy from Rock Springs,
Wyoming know he has a nose for the football, few probably realized how
athletically gifted the 6' 1", 225 pound safety is. During the spring,
Wendling clocked in at a sparkling 4.38 seconds in the 40 yard dash and
displayed a 41" vertical jump. In addition to the speed and athletic
display, Wendling broke several school records for a safety in the weight
room.

In a sure sign that he's on the NFL's radar in a significant way, he was
recently listed as one the top 150 prospects in America by respected
NFL.com Draft analyst Gil Brandt. Some feel, if he can get a Senior Bowl
invite and time well at the Combine, he has a chance to be drafted in the
top 3 rounds.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
congratulations to John!
smiley32.gif
he was the first player i named to this watch list, and now it's nice to see him getting more recognition from a more widely read (albeit possibly not better, if i do say so myself, ha!) talent evaluator.
smiley2.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Boise State always has a lot of good white players, and this year is no exception. free safety Marty Tadman is one of the best in the country. if it weren't for teammate, linebacker Korey Hall, Marty might be the best defensive player in the offensive-minded WAC.

coming out of high school, Marty was about as hghly touted as they come for white db's, but off the field issues had an impact. since he's gotten his life together, he's become a dominant player. here's his bio.

here's an article talking about his life journey.

tadman.jpg

tadman_300.jpg

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
some pics of the best defensive back in the country, Eric Weddle!
smiley32.gif

348652.jpeg
utahgeorgiatechtn2239_1229.jpg

gqrbd5k4.jpg
371578.jpeg

2068691.jpg
t_vn742858.jpg

and the link to his bio. good luck this year Eric!
smiley32.gif
show the world what you're made of!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Nebraska looks to possibly have it's fastest secondary ever, and its fleetest member is first-year starter at free safety Andrew Shanle. Foxsports has this blurb about him: - FS Andrew Shanle, Sr. - 10 tackles, 1 broken up pass
A good special teamer with tremendous speed, Shanle will take over for Blake Tiedtke where he'll fly to the ball; no one will outrun him. He has 32 games of starting experience, but he has to prove he can provide a little bit of pop and has to show he can consistently make plays when the ball is in the air.

Shanle has been a tremendous white special teams demon thus far in his career as well as backing up both safety spots. here's his player bio. and a couple of pics...

SHANLE,ANDY120.JPG
114jlas.jpg

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I will be watching Nebraska more this year than the last 4 combined.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Rivals.com ranks five white safeties as among the ten best in the country, though Utah CB Eric Weddle is listed among them. All are seniors, so we may see asmall influx of white safeties into the NFL in '07.

#4 Weddle

#6 Tom Zbikowski, Notre Dame

#8 Sabby Piscatelli, Oregon State

#9 Zach Catanese, Arizona State

#10 Joe Stellmacher, Wisconsin

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=572279

whiteCB

Master
Hey now rivals having half of the 10 best players at a "black" position be white. Am I halucinating? Somethings gotta be wrong here.
smiley36.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the state of Utah is doing it right! the Utah Utes arelikely to start three white defensive backs this year, and BYU has two white corners challenging for a starting spot: junior Kayle Buchanan and junior Ben Criddle are both in the hunt. Kayle was the expected starter, but a shoulder injury has limited him in practice, although he still is penciled in. Ben, a former walk-on and ju-co transfer, has impressed throughout with his physical play.
smiley32.gif

here's an excerpt from a story talking about the BYU corners:

BYU cornerbacks
Sunday, August 20, 2006
DARNELL DICKSON - Daily Herald

No. 1 question asked during BYU football fall camp: Who is going to start at cornerback?

The answer isn't coming from new defensive back coach Jaime Hill, who won't even talk about his players individually.

"We're a group," Hill said. "Once we start breaking out the individual that's when we start splintering. That's when we start having problems. There's no individuals. One guy gets beat, we all get beat. We're going to lose together and we're going to win together."

Last year's cornerback group lost more battles than it won, but the good news is that there seems to be more quality cornerbacks in camp this year.

The bad news? No one is really stepping forward to seize the opportunity to be a starter. BYU head coach and defensive coordinator Bronco Mendenhall has a similar problem with his defensive line; Some good quality players but no one exceptional. He said he would require one more scrimmage (on Wednesday) because the competition is so close at both position groups.

Two returnees -- junior Kayle Buchanan and senior Justin Robinson -- are getting the most reps at cornerback during fall camp, but both have been in and out of the lineup with nagging injuries. Former walk-on Ben Criddle and redshirt freshman Brandon Howard have both been with the No. 1 defense at times. Lately, true freshman Robbie Buckner has been seeing time with the first team. While Buckner is talented, a freshman corner would certainly fray a few BYU fan's nerves during the regular season.

"We feel confident," Criddle said. "We're playing great from where we were in the spring. We're implementing a lot of different coverages and becoming a great defensive team. We're getting some swagger."

The biggest factor in the cornerbacks' improvement is Hill, a coach who Mendenhall called a "master teacher" when he was hired this spring. Criddle said Hill has taught the defensive backs a number of new techniques designed to take advantage of their specific skills.

"Because I'm a little more physical, he taught me a technique where I get a read off the quarterback about 10 yards deep," Criddle said. "When the wide receiver breaks my cushion, I can get a hand on him and make a play on the ball. Coach Hill told me I'd be good at that and I didn't know about that technique before."

and from another article:

Mendenhall said the play of senior Cole Miyahira at safety will make it difficult for junior Dustin Gabriel to get his position back when he returns from injuries sustained from a concussion. Mendenhall also said junior Ben Criddle is doing the same thing to returning starter Kayle Buchanan at cornerback. Buchanan has been resting a sore shoulder.

"Cole is playing his best football," Mendenhall said. "And Ben is having a great camp. Their work with the 'ones' certainly will be acknowledged."

sadly, it appears the white corners are competing with one another, but that certainly indicates that they will both be on the field a great deal.
smiley32.gif
Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'll give you a heads up on this as the season progresses. I ordered my season tickets for BYU today. Our home schedule is pretty weak though, but we should have a real shot at going 6-0 at home.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
that's great Colonel! i can't wait to hear about 'em.

and keep a close eye on BYU's Mike Hague. i've got the feeling he could be great...Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
a defensive back to follow, even though he doesn't play Division 1, is Montana cornerback Tuff Harris. if you caught the Iowa game today, you saw him. or rather, he's the corner you didn't see because the Hawkeyes weren't throwing at him.

he runs a 10.6 100, a 21.9 200, has long jumped 22'9", and high jumped 6'4"... so i guess he's almost athletic enough to be black.
smiley4.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i stayed up late to watch the BYU-Arizona game, and both defenses were superb.

the thing that caught my eye was the longest running play of the night. Arizona's fastest player, TB chris henry, broke down the sideline and looked to be gone. the announcers started drooling over his speed, and then out of nowhere BYU cornerback Ben Criddle ran him down and caught him, tackling him to save a touchdown.
smiley32.gif
it was awesome! it was such a great play, that even one of the announcers began hyping praise on Criddle for his speed, before he caught himself and changed the subject.

wow! what a play!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Yeah,I saw that play live at the game.Criddle can really run.It was a great game.I am a life long AZ Wildat Fan but it was really fun to see Byu with so much talent.They are a very fast,strong and physical team.They don't back down to anyone.They played incredible.I was hoping the Cats would play G.Bolasky as they struggled with the running game but I never saw him.It was a big win for the cats but they travel to LSU next weekend.They better watch out for J.Hester.Edited by: white lightning

surfsider

Guru
Even before running Chris Henry down, Criddle had been garnering attention from the announcers for "making plays". What got my attention is that he is a walk-on. Athletic enough to catch Arizona'a fastest player but not athletic enough for a scholarship?

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
you noticed that, too? hmm.... what possible reason could teams have for not offering such a tremendous player a scholarship?

*scratches his head as he strains to think of a reason*

what could it be?
smiley5.gif

jared

Mentor
I thought Bolasky was going to be redshirted. is he going to play this year?Edited by: jared

Status
Not open for further replies.