White CB signs with CFL

from kffl.com

CFL | K. Edwards signed by CFL team
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:16:44 -0700

Tim Dailey, of the Montana Kaimin, reports Montana DB Kevin Edwards did not want to wait for the NFL Draft this weekend to determine his football future. Instead, he signed a two-year deal with the CFL's Calgary Stampeders.

---------------

Even in this small report they call him a DB, instead of what he is, a CB. That's one less White CB in the draft pool, as if any of them really had a shot.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a sensible move by Edwards. Coming from a program like Montana he had zero chance of getting a shot in the NFL as a cornerback.

All the many dozens of talented white CBs, WRs, TBs, safeties, etc. who aren't drafted this weekend but who still want to give the NFL a shot need to likewise be smart about which teams they sign with as free agents. They can raise their odds from "hopeless" to "almost hopeless" by signing with the right organization.
smiley6.gif

He may have zero chance of being a CFL cornerback as well... The only references I can find have him at 6'2" 195lbs. Most CFL CB's tend to small sprinter types (in some cases faster than NFL CB's). With his mix of size and speed Edwards is probably going to wind up a defensive halfback (halfway between a CB and a safety).

Still a good move on his part... I have to say I'm shocked that a white American player would head straight to the CFL rather waste four years getting screwed over by as many NFL teams as possible.

Joethethrow

After seeing Edwards Pro Day 40 time which was around 4.65 if I recall, he's not fast enough to play the corner but with his size he will probably get a look at inside safety.