Where Are They Now

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I don't know if we've ever had a thread like this, but someone, I believe it was Don mentioned a college player name General Booty, then another poster mentioned we had names like Captain and Major. The name Major reminded me of an Alabama white RB named Major Ogilvie. When I googled my search for him and whatever happened to him, it led me to "Where Are They Now" Major Ogilvie.

Ogilvie was a Alabama HS running back that led his team to state championships in 1975 and 76. After graduating from Mountain Brook HS, Ogilvie played for Alabama from 1977-1980. His teams won three SEC Championships and two National Titles in 1978 and 1979. He was named First-Team all SEC in 1979 as well as Academic All-American.

Although he primarily played running, one Ogilvie's most-memorable plays came in the form of a tackle. In the 1979 Sugar Bowl against Penn State, Nittany Lions Rich Milot intercepted a pass thrown by Alabama QB Jeff Rutledge. Ogilvie bolted across the field and tackled Milot short of the goal line, saving a score.

The game remained close with Alabama making a legendary goal line stand to defeat Penn State 14-7 for the National Championship.

Ogilvie was drafted in the 12th round by the San Francisco 49ers, but I couldn't find out any other information on his NFL career. Whether he was injured or got cut. Ogilvie rushed for 1,718 yards, scored 25 touchdowns, and averaged 5.7 yards per carry.
Today he's an executive with Ready Mix USA

I had forgotten about Ogilvie, but remembered him when reading one of the write-ups on the college football thread. I enjoyed reading about him and finding out where he is today.

Anyway, I thought it might be a cool thread to start. I hope others will contribute.

Here's short video of Ogilvie.