Whats with the glasses?

What is up with certain types of players in the NFL and NBA wearing these stupid " preppy " glasses when they give interviews?I just saw that Ladanlian Tomlinson retired and he is wearing some 1910's golf outfit and these dumb looking glasses. I do not watch the NBA but lately on ESPN I see people like Lebron and Dwayne Wade doing the same thing. Is it a fashion statement? I don't recall seeing these guys ever have bad vision before. There is an old saying that I think is poignant here. " You can put a suit on a dog but its still a dog. Well I changed it up as I don't want to be mean.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
What is up with certain types of players in the NFL and NBA wearing these stupid " preppy " glasses when they give interviews?I just saw that Ladanlian Tomlinson retired and he is wearing some 1910's golf outfit and these dumb looking glasses. I do not watch the NBA but lately on ESPN I see people like Lebron and Dwayne Wade doing the same thing. Is it a fashion statement? I don't recall seeing these guys ever have bad vision before. There is an old saying that I think is poignant here. " You can put a suit on a dog but its still a dog. Well I changed it up as I don't want to be mean.

Well it's just another negro fashion statement. I suspect all the wiggers will be wearing them soon since their favorite affletes are.

Anak

Mentor
Well it's just another negro fashion statement. I suspect all the wiggers will be wearing them soon since their favorite affletes are.

Actually, the blacks got it from White suburbanites, they're "hipster glasses."

QjHKK.jpg

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Yea they were stolen from the whole white "hipster" movement. Not saying I am a fan of those apathetic misguided youth that call themselves "hipsters" but much of today's "urban fashion" is directly ripped from hipsters. Than again it goes hand in hand with the creation of a homogenous culture derived from materialism which the far left aspires for to continue the breakdown of the white family structure.

Europe

Mentor
Even Boateng is wearing them in the picture in the Euro 2012 thread.

I thought it was in honor of Buddy Holly.

Bronk

Mentor
"... Ladanlian Tomlinson retired and he is wearing some 1910's golf outfit and these dumb looking glasses..."

Ha! I saw that and thought, 'what is that jackass wearing?'

These hipster frames used to be passe when I was in junior high (circa the early 1970s). Kids dropped them en masse for the gold wire frames. What goes around, comes around again.

But to answer the question: The glasses give the appearence of intelligence without having to do all the hard work.