Week 5 2006

I'm making an objective statement. Vince Young probably is not going to ever be much better than he is now. The Titans would have done better by drafting Leinart, who is a very good bet to become a playoff-calibre QB.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
sport historian said:
I'm making an objective statement. Vince Young probably is not going to ever be much better than he is now. The Titans would have done better by drafting Leinart, who is a very good bet to become a playoff-calibre QB.

I agree with sport historian.

backrow

Hall of Famer
they had a nice feature on MNF pre game show on John Lynch, leader of Broncos defense. i love this guy and still hate Allen for letting him go (he was willing to take a pay cut but TB front office felt like he was washed up) - they thought Jermaine Philips will be a replacement but he isn't... not half a player John was, and defense lost their leader - Lynch went to Pro Bowl after he left, so i guess he wasn't done, huh.

have a good game John! same goes for Kircus, Heap, Gregg and few others!

JD074

Master
White Shogun said:
Philipj said:
That's is all I'm saying. I don't have to be generous to anyone. Hell, this is America I can say whatever I think.

Not really. Around here you are expected to be generous to white athletes. That's what this site is about. And you can't say whatever you think, read the posting guidelines.

Totally agree. This website is private property and the owner of that property can create any guidelines for discourse that he wants.

And besides, the America that philipj mentioned is dead anyway. Certainly far right wingers can't say whatever we want without being fired, harassed, etc.

Skipperron

Guru
Bottom line: Leinart was a better player coming out of college than Young and Tennessee had a chance to get him but chose the lesser player, I think because of his race. That is why I would rip on Tennesee. They made the PC pick and now it is coming back to bite them.

Triad

Mentor
As the 3rd Quarter winds down on MNF, Kornheiser is putting down Jake Plummer about his ineffectiveness in the game and wondering when the Denver back-up will get in. In contrast, no word on McNair's very similar play (countless dump offs to the RB) or mention of the Raven's backup QB.

Stats through the 3Q:

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
Steve McNair 15/24 108 4.5 0 1
Jake Plummer 9/1858 3.2 0 1
____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________

Also, here are the "biggest offseason pickup's" stats through four games this year compared to the man he replaced. I believe the Raven's were ranked 29th in the league in passing going into tonight's game, but all you hear is how the Raven's upgraded that position. I personally like McNair it's just the jock sniffer's treatment of the situation that's so irritating.

Steve McNair: 73/131, 746 yards, 55.7%5.70 yards/ ATT; 5 TD, 3.8 TD %, 3 INT, 2.3 INT%, Rating - 75.4

Kyle Boller: 171/293, 1799 yards; 58.4 %, 6.14 yards/ ATT, 11 TD's, 3.8 TD%, 12 INT, 4.1 INT%, Rating - 71.7

Edited by: Triad

backrow

Hall of Famer
McNair also fumbled a ball... anyway, shame that ball can't get to Heap, only 2 catches for 11 yards and McNair tried to throw to him at least 4 other times...

backrow

Hall of Famer
Kircus also has some bad luck... 4 or 5 throws and no catches, only one ball was even catchable...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Triad said:
As the 3rd Quarter winds down on MNF, Kornheiser is putting down Jake Plummer about his ineffectiveness in the game and wondering when the Denver back-up will get in. In contrast, no word on McNair's very similar play (countless dump offs to the RB) or mention of the Raven's backup QB.

Stats through the 3Q:

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
Steve McNair 15/24 108 4.5 0 1
Jake Plummer 9/1858 3.2 0 1
____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________

Also, here are the "biggest offseason pickup's" stats through four games this year compared to the man he replaced. I believe the Raven's were ranked 29th in the league in passing going into tonight's game, but all you hear is how the Raven's upgraded that position. I personally like McNair it's just the jock sniffer's treatment of the situation that's so irritating.

Steve McNair: 73/131, 746 yards, 55.7%5.70 yards/ ATT; 5 TD, 3.8 TD %, 3 INT, 2.3 INT%, Rating - 75.4

Kyle Boller: 171/293, 1799 yards; 58.4 %, 6.14 yards/ ATT, 11 TD's, 3.8 TD%, 12 INT, 4.1 INT%, Rating - 71.7

That's exactly what I was thinking. Ripping on Jake's performance but nothing about McNair's game. Typical announcers also in judging players before the game is completed. As it turned out Plummer came through in the clutch while McNair kept making crucial interceptions. But McNair's a great leader and a calming presence, blah, blah, blah.

And why no retirement talk concerning McNair? We're fed it every time Favre plays on national TV and have been for oh about six years. In the case of McNair he's the one who came close to retiring after the '04 season so why is it never brought up? Guess he's too busy being the Caste System's savior for the Ravens.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Ripping on Jake's performance but nothing about McNair's game. Typical announcers also in judging players before the game is completed. As it turned out Plummer came through in the clutch while McNair kept making crucial interceptions. But McNair's a great leader and a calming presence, blah, blah, blah.

Kornheiser spoke too soon. Jake played wellwith the game on the line, leading his team tovictory on a nice drive culminating in a touchdown pass. McNair finished with0 TD's and3 INT's.

The media praises black quarterbacks even when they perform poorly. Cris Carter's column at Yahoo illustrates the point. In discussing rookie QB's he made these observations about Young:

Young guns a blazing
Already, this is starting to look like a good draft class. TheTennessee Titans realize they have to play Vince Young if they want to make progress and he has played very well... Young is much farther along than former Titans quarterback Steve McNair was at this stage of his career.

What the heck is Carter smoking? YesterdayVince threw for 63 Yds., 0 TD's , 1 INT, Comp.% of 47.6 and QB Rat of 34! So far, his yearly totals are not exactly awe inspiring. QB Rat. 46.6, Comp.% 45.9, 2 Passing TD's and 4 Picks. He has rushed for 70 Yds.buthas fumbled 3 times.I don't know what the future holds for Young, but at this point, with the numbers he's produced, it is idiotic to claim he has played very well.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Cris Carter via Bart said:
Young is much farther along than former Titans quarterback Steve McNair was at this stage of his career.

If I'm not mistaken, its because McNair didn't start for the Oilers for two full years after he was drafted. He didn't become the Oilers/Titans starting quarterback til they moved to Tennessee. McNair started in six games in those two years, and played in 13 games. Its easy to be 'ahead' of someone, when you're being compared to someone who wasn't even starting at the time.
smiley36.gif

Having said that, even a cursory look at McNair's stats for his first two years will show that Young is no where near McNair's caliber of quarterback, then or now.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'm glad to see McNair isn't totally immune from criticism after last night's game, at least in Denver. Here's a pretty good headline from The Denver Post:
<DIV =articleTitle align=center>Defense thrives on err McNair
<DIV =articleTitle>
<DIV =articleTitle>Article: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_4468523

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
I'm glad to see McNair isn't totally immune from criticism after last night's game, at least in Denver.

I don't know Don, the article didn't seem too critical of McNair. To quote the article, the Denver D made McNair 'human,' (as in capable of making mistakes) the way they made Tom Brady 'human' in their game against the Patriots.

It's as though they can't criticize McNair without finding a white quarterback to criticize at the same time, in this case the three time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady, lol.

They're not heaping hot coals on his head, but neither are they lavishing effusive praise on him like others, so you're right that at least they're not falling down in worship of his black quarterback self.
smiley5.gif