Week 11 2006

Warnipple said:
'Skins, huh?  Bet you're a big Jason Campbell fan.  Who the f**k is Matt Bowen, anyway?

Nope, not a Campbell fan. That said, he played OK today against a terrible Tampa Bay team.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Matt_Bowen_Fan said:
Warnipple said:
'Skins, huh?  Bet you're a big Jason Campbell fan.  Who the f**k is Matt Bowen, anyway?

Nope, not a Campbell fan. That said, he played OK today against a terrible Tampa Bay team.

hey now! don't lash out just because Skins suck
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I didn't take Bowen's comment as mocking of the injury itself, but rather mockery of McNabb's insistent whining that persecution of him is always founded in racism. Remember 'black on black' hate? Now (in Bowen's words)he can complain about the persecution of black quarterbacks who are in rehab.

Jason Campbell performed rather well actually, going 19/34 for 196 yards, 2 TD's and 0 INT. Lots of quarterbacks have performed worse, especially in their first start. By the way, this statement is not contrary to my opinion in other threads about the unfair criticism Brunell received as quarterback of the Reskins prior to Campbell's start, especially in comparison to other black quarterbacks with comparable stats who receive all sorts of praise and commendation for similar play.

backrow said:
hey now! don't lash out just because Skins suck
smiley36.gif

Hey! You guys had to let a white dude run the ball! My 'Skins can stink it up a lot longer before we do something drastic like that!
smiley36.gif

White Shogun said:
I didn't take Bowen's comment as mocking of the injury itself, but rather mockery of McNabb's insistent whining that persecution of him is always founded in racism. Remember 'black on black' hate? Now (in Bowen's words)he can complain about the persecution of black quarterbacks who are in rehab.

Among his other foibles.

Jason Campbell performed rather well actually, going 19/34 for 196 yards, 2 TD's and 0 INT. Lots of quarterbacks have performed worse, especially in their first start. By the way, this statement is not contrary to my opinion in other threads about the unfair criticism Brunell received as quarterback of the Reskins prior to Campbell's start, especially in comparison to other black quarterbacks with comparable stats who receive all sorts of praise and commendation for similar play.

I knew he had no picks, but not that he'd managed over half his passes. I was more impressed by the fact that he, unlike the majority of black QBs, actually tries to make his reads, and doesn't just take off right away. Its great when a QB is mobile, and keeps the play alive in the pocket for an extra few seconds. He had a few rushes, but he's not a Vick or Vince Young by any means.

backrow

Hall of Famer
he is pretty big and strong for a QB, blitzing corners couldn't bring him down on two occasions.
not too bad for his first game.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Speaking of young quarterbacks, Philip Rivers is the Man. So far this season he has a 66% completion rate, 13 TD's to only 3 INT, and a 100.4 quarterback rating! I may have missed it, but he doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love in the press, flying under the radar so to speak. Anyone catch any mention of him specifically in the media? I know he is playing in the shadow of Thomlinson, but still, the guy deserves some accolades for this performance.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Shannon Sharpe on the Atlanta Falcons:

What's wrong with Atlanta?

I can't put my finger on it. I'm realizing that Michael Vick is fine. The problem is that the defense can't get off the field. They are giving the offense a very long field to deal with. When an offense has to go the whole way down the field, too many things can go wrong. With John Abraham and Patrick Kerney out, the secondary playing average at best, and other pieces not coming together, it makes me wary about the Falcons.

Sure he is, Shannon. Sure. Keep telling yourself that.

Sharpe's column

Bart

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
Shannon Sharpe on the Atlanta Falcons: I'm realizing that Michael Vick is fine.

Shannon is quite peculiar.His comment was very likely a personal observation having nothing to do with football.
smiley36.gif

Kaptain

Master
How bout drew Bennett's one catch for the day. The league's best tall reciever is now at the mercy of another scatter-shot black QB. The leading reciever for the Titans this week caught one ball for 20-some yards - no reciever on the Titans is doing well the newly annoited black prince of football.

From the Bugles own web site:

...the defense forced four turnovers to end a three-game drought behind a most unlikely band of backups as the special teams banded together for one of their most impressive games yet.

Symbol of this F-Troop charge was seventh-rounder Ethan Kilmer, the special teams rookie ace nicknamed "Three Way," who delivered a 52-yard interception return for Cincinnati's first defensive touchdown of the season on just his fourth snap from scrimmage in the NFL during his fourth season of football and first year as a defensive back..."At any point he can play offense, defense, and of course special teams," said secondary coach Kevin Coyle. "He's just a great kid and does whatever you say with a smile on his face. We're trying to get some kind of coney endorsement deal for him up here because that's what we call him: 'Three Way.' "...

It was Kaesviharn's team-leading fourth interception and 13th of his career, but third in the end zone this season in showing the doubters why he's such a valuable guy in passing downs even if he's not the ideal run player...

Lewis wouldn't discuss why Brooks didn't get on the field after five straight starts. He indicated that he thought Miller was a better fit, and that may have been because he's a better cover backer than Brooks and Brees came into the game leading the NFL in passing yards.

So, of three players on D that aren't starters, it was an 'F-Troop' charge. Kilmer has practiced for offense and defense, and what are they doing? Trying to get a corney endorsement deal.

Kaesviharn got a really backhanded compliment, seeing as he's not the ideal run player...must mean he's somehow good against the pass.

Miller did the best, it actually being said that he's superior in coverage(ie, fast and can figure out routes) to a black player.

bigunreal

Mentor
Brandon Stokley continues his incomprehensibly lone recovery from what was orginally, I think, an ankle injury. There is a thought that he may play this week. If so, we can all watch as his best friend and roommate doles out his meagher ration of balls per game. What little production he does get will probably come from the quota alloted to Dallas Clark, who is more under utilized than any skill position player in the NFL, imho, despite his pro bowl skills.

Utecht is getting lots of balls for the Colts now.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Stokley came back and played a game and then promptly had another injury. He has been one of the most injury prone receivers in the league during his career.

I guess it's nice that Utecht is getting some receptions, but he isn't half the receiving talent at tight end that Dallas Clark is. I'd much rather see Clark getting those short receptions instead of Utecht along with medium and long passes. Clark is very good at running after the catch and is as fast as a fair amount of wide receivers.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
White Shogun wrote: Speaking of young quarterbacks, Philip Rivers is the Man. So far this
season he has a 66% completion rate, 13 TD's to only 3 INT, and a 100.4
quarterback rating! I may have missed it, but he doesn't seem to be
getting a lot of love in the press, flying under the radar so to speak.
Anyone catch any mention of him specifically in the media?

I would agree mostly but SI did do a short article
on him a few weeks ago although not a cover story as it should have
been.

Matt Bowen fan wrote about Jason Cambell: but he's not a Vick or Vince Young by any means:

I would agree on the Vick part. Vick is overrated but Vince Young
deserves a couple years before we write the book on him although 48%
completion is ridiculouly low even for a rookie. Vince Young was
unbelievable in the Rose Bowl so he could develop into a player, but I
still think the Titans would have been smarter taking Leinart, I think
he'll turn out to be the best QB in the 2006 draft. Cutler could be
good too he's a sleeper . If Plumber doesn't step up his play Cutler
will start next year.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a Caste System classic from last week's Sports Illustrated:

"How to explain the surge in production from Green Bay defensive end Aaron Kampman, who has a league-best 9 1/2 sacks, three more than his career high? 'He's not real athletic,' says one scout. 'He's not real fast. He's just always around the ball'."

smiley36.gif
I'm surprised they didn't have the anonymous "scout" add that Kampman was always picked last in his high school gym class.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Tiki Barber said the Giants was outcoached because he ran just 10 times...I like tiki and I like him more for this..That what Brian Leonard need to said!He is enough respected in Rutgers for said that..But he won't..That's the problem with the white guys