Vick signs with Nike

Bart

Hall of Famer
That figures.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/

VICK SIGNS ENDORSEMENT DEAL WITH NIKE

By Liz Mullen, Staff Writer, SportsBusiness Journal

Michael Vick has signed an endorsement deal with Nike, according to Mike Principe, managing director for BEST, the agency that represents Vick. Principe would reveal no other details, but referred other questions to Vick's personal agent, Joel Segal.

Principe announced the deal on stage during a panel discussion at the Relay Sports Sponsorship Symposium in New York. Principe was on a panel discussing athlete endorsements at the event, run by SportsBusiness Journal and SportsBusiness Daily. He said he was prepared for questions about endorsements for Vick and had decided to make the announcement during the discussion.

"Mike has had a great relationship with Nike and is excited to be part of the Nike team again," said Segal, who negotiated the Nike deal as well as Vick's deal to return to the NFL as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles. Segal wouldn't reveal any details of the deal, saying that Nike and Vick agreed not to discuss terms.

Vick will wear Nike shoes, gear and apparel. "He has always been a fan of the brand and looks forward to the relationship," Segal said.

Vick had been a Nike endorser before, but the company dropped him in August 2007, after Vick was indicted on federal dogfighting charges.

Kaptain

Master
That is unbelievable. I almost think it's an Onion article. I don't buy name brand shoes or clothes. The technology in shoes and clothes haven't advanced much in over 100 years. There are no secret formulas special type of stitchings. Only a fool would pay extra to have the nike swoop on their shoes. So I guess the Vick/Nike deal is appropriate after all.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Bart, I saw this story on the ubiquitous "bottom ticker" on ESPN, and knew it would be posted on CF within a few hours.

I fully comprehend that Nike is only interested in jock-huffing black and non-white athletes....and I can't really blame them. After all, they're merely trying to "be cool" and "get with the times."

Why not pick one of the few humble black athletes who aren't overrated and are actually good role models. Guys like WR Reggie Wayne, for instance? I don't think I've ever seen him in any commercial, unlike his loud-mouthed, drama queen, underachieving thug WR-brethren. I suppose guys like Wayne, much like every white athlete (accept Peyton Manning), don't fit the all-encompassing "master script."

Why pick the former endorsement queen (including Nike, obviously) who hasn't played in years and"¦.oh, he also tortured dogs to death via every single brutal method he could dream up. That is, after he watched the dogs chew each others' faces off while he gambled alongside other low-life, parasite negroes for pocket change. Nike never had my business, so all I can do is spread this article to others.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
KP, ditto on the name brand clothes/shoes. I try to buy American, but alotta the U.S. manufacturers still hire a slew of illegal invaders in their factories.[
smiley35.gif

I knew caste "god" conVick would start (re)landing endorsements sooner or later. Nike is definitely pro Globalism & pro-caste.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Been listening to sports talk radio today (I know, sorry.) and this whole situation was clarified a bit further.

There is no more of a deal here than there is for any other NFL player who receives apparel from a company. Nike has merely given him product to wear free of charge, which many people can tell you happens to even the most trivial players on all NFL rosters.

This is not a deal for commercials, ads, or anything else. All of the manufactured Vick hype has blown this way out of proportion. A Nike representative makes that abundantly clear in this Inquirer article.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/sports_breaking/20091001_Nike_says_Vick_deal_is_for_apparel_only.htmlEdited by: PhillyBirds

Bear Backer

Mentor
PhillyBirds said:
Been listening to sports talk radio today (I know, sorry.) and this whole situation was clarified a bit further.

There is no more of a deal here than there is for any other NFL player who receives apparel from a company. Nike has merely given him product to wear free of charge, which many people can tell you happens to even the most trivial players on all NFL rosters.

This is not a deal for commercials, ads, or anything else. All of the manufactured Vick hype has blown this way out of proportion. A Nike representative makes that abundantly clear in this Inquirer article.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/sports_breaking/20091001_Nike_says_Vick_deal_is_for_apparel_only.html

I still wouldn't buy their overpriced crummy shoes.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Thrashen said:
Bart, I saw this story on the ubiquitous "bottom ticker" on ESPN, and knew it would be posted on CF within a few hours.

I fully comprehend that Nike is only interested in jock-huffing black and non-white athletes....and I can't really blame them. After all, they're merely trying to "be cool" and "get with the times."

Why not pick one of the few humble black athletes who aren't overrated and are actually good role models. Guys like WR Reggie Wayne, for instance? I don't think I've ever seen him in any commercial, unlike his loud-mouthed, drama queen, underachieving thug WR-brethren. I suppose guys like Wayne, much like every white athlete (accept Peyton Manning), don't fit the all-encompassing "master script."

Why pick the former endorsement queen (including Nike, obviously) who hasn't played in years and"¦.oh, he also tortured dogs to death via every single brutal method he could dream up. That is, after he watched the dogs chew each others' faces off while he gambled alongside other low-life, parasite negroes for pocket change. Nike never had my business, so all I can do is spread this article to others.

I agree with the points you're making, but I'm not sure how easy it is to find a genuinely humble black athlete. Reggie Wayne did have a shoe commercial running earlier this year. Can't remember the brand (probably the ubiquitous Nike) but it showed him running a tire drill and then it continued over a swimming pool, where Wayne was shown running on water. Blasphemous, but what else is new?

Wayne slugged Peyton Manning a few years ago during a sideline "discussion" during a game. Maybe Manning egged him on, butsomehow Idoubt it. Marvin Harrison was also praised for years as the epitome of the humble athlete, and it turned out he choked ateenage fan who asked him for an autograph, attacked a stadium employee on the field before a game for no reason, and of course of late has been doing his best imitation of a Wild West gunslinger in the mean streets of North Philly.

As far as Nike goes, they do not make the best shoes. I recall watching a documentary, where their apparel brand was in the gutter, some somehow they resurrected it through new designs and marketing campaigns. While competing in college athletics, we received all Nike gear. Everything except the basic gym shorts and socks we got would fall apart. Stitching would rip apart, even on the t-shirts. The shoes, what they are known for, were absolutely abominable. Every year, the different shoes we got would fall apart for about 75% of the guys. These were products that said "made to the exact specifications of champion athletes."

Even though they too are mad in overseas factories, Under Armor and Asics, and Adidas products performed much better. Nike only continues to be profitable through their strategic ad campaigns, deals with schools and professional teams, and hiring designers strictly for looks, not function.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Oh I didn't see this was already posted. I don't usually check this forum...Oh well, it's now in the Phili forum as well. Even CaucasianRivals (Yahoo Sports) had an article criticizing this new Vick endorsement deal.

Bear Backer

Mentor
Electric Slide said:
As far as Nike goes, they do not make the best shoes. I recall watching a documentary, where their apparel brand was in the gutter, some somehow they resurrected it through new designs and marketing campaigns. While competing in college athletics, we received all Nike gear. Everything except the basic gym shorts and socks we got would fall apart. Stitching would rip apart, even on the t-shirts. The shoes, what they are known for, were absolutely abominable. Every year, the different shoes we got would fall apart for about 75% of the guys. These were products that said "made to the exact specifications of champion athletes."

Even though they too are mad in overseas factories, Under Armor and Asics, and Adidas products performed much better. Nike only continues to be profitable through their strategic ad campaigns, deals with schools and professional teams, and hiring designers strictly for looks, not function.

The only pair of name brand athletic shoes that I have ever had that were worse than all the Nikes I ever owned, were a pair of New Balance cross trainers. They literally split in two, right down the middle of the sole after a very short time. When I ran cross country, I would run in nothing but Asics, everything else tended to tear my feet up. Generally today, I don't wear athletic shoes all that much, but when I do, I usually wear New Balance because they tend to be more affordable. They are plenty good enough for riding my bike or wearing to the gym. Edited by: Bear Backer

qj

Guru
Figures that Pee Knight and his boyz would sign Vick. Nike is less than zero. I'm gonna avoid their products like the H1N1 flu shot. Full of thimerosol and squalene. Ditto for the Oregon Ducks, a team he bankrolls. I hope they lose every stinkin' game. Hope they get cursed as bad as the CHI Cubs with the bad-assed billie goat. Hope the billie runs across Knight's parking lot every day and takes a big dump and at Autzen every Satuday. Vick is a loser who does not deserve another chance in the NFL. He certainly doesn't deserve to earn millions from Nike. Every time I see a swoosh these days I see pile of steaming dung.