VH1 Rock Honors

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Menelik said:
For what its worth (anyone remember the song?) I try to just listen to the music without any regard to the particular artist's views. I have supported/idolized too many "famous people" in the past only to be let down when I found out how much of a jerk he/she was.

Yeah Menelik disrupting the board with your divisive comments!!!!!
smiley2.gif
You are right. It is hopeless to judge music by the type of person that makes it. I would not be able to listen to any Bruce Springsteen, John Mellancamp, or Sheryl Crow, just to name a few if I considered the source. And I like Susan Sarandon as an actress too!

Lance Alworth

Mentor
jaxvid said:
BTW I think the remark about Gretchen Wilson and her trailer park life is a cheap shot, there are lots of our white brothers and sisters living there, most trying to make a better life for themselves. If they are guilty of making mistakes in life then I have to plead guilty to that one too!

Just watch the Maury show to see how many trailer park women hook up with black men. I have no sympathy for these people. They deserve what they get

C Darwin

Mentor
Lance Alworth said:
Just watch the Maury show to see how
many trailer park women hook up with black men. I have no
sympathy for these people. They deserve what they get
If there ever was a charity that I would want to get behind, it would
be to help the "white trash" of our country. They are truly the
forgotten
poor. Africa, SE Asia, inner city youth get plenty of attention while
the poor people from our race get squat.

How can you blame them for anything? They have nothing but TVs,
and you know as well as I what is being pushed at them through the
idiot box. I wouldn't assume that all PWT are like the girl from My
Name Is Earl
.Edited by: C Darwin

Lance Alworth

Mentor
C Darwin said:
Lance Alworth said:
Just watch the Maury show to see how
many trailer park women hook up with black men. I have no
sympathy for these people. They deserve what they get
If there ever was a charity that I would want to get behind, it would
be to help the "white trash" of our country. They are truly the
forgotten
poor. Africa, SE Asia, inner city youth get plenty of attention while
the poor people from our race get squat.

How can you blame them for anything? They have nothing but TVs,
and you know as well as I what is being pushed at them through the
idiot box. I wouldn't assume that all PWT are like the girl from My
Name Is Earl

While I agree that I think we should help the poor whites of our country before we waste money in Africa, I don't have sympathy for people who can't help themselves. Being raised on the idiot box is no excuse for why these people can't better themselves. Most whites who live in poverty are either drug addicts, alcoholics, or compulsive gamblers. To me they are no different than the blacks who try to blame "the man" for holding them down. I feel for the whites who are poor because they simply had no education but when I see these bums out on the street (most of them white) begging for money, I just turn my head in disgust

Wow. I missed a music thread? I haven't listened to country since the late '80s or so...since I discovered the Beach Boys and from there, 60s and 70s rock. I think 'Set 'em up Joe' was the last country song I listened to on purpose. I've heard some of the crossover stuff like Shania Twain and Faith Hill, and while they look nice, can't say I much care for their music.

Metal I could do without; I prefer the acid sound for heavy stuff. But honestly, aside from 'Eve of Destruction' I don't care for musicians' politics. I buy their records to listen to the music; here's an example. I think Bob Dylan's 'The Hurricane' is a tremendous song, even tho its a BS version of events and Carter is guilty as hell. 'Politician' by Cream is about the only blatantly political song I care for, and its a scathing satire. Its not my fault that the sheeple out there listen to musicians and artists' views. If they were going the other way, I'd still have a problem with it. I don't care for all these uneducated talking heads telling me what to think. That goes double for the educated ones.

And while I'm sure it will be unpopular you know what? Eminem is goddamn good. You want someone who taps into the psyche of the angry young white man? While I'm not a fan of all of his music, a good amount of it is pretty good and far from typical rap. "8 Mile" was a decent flick about a kid who was poor white trash and had to deal with frequently being the sole white kid around.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Hey Lance,
How many trailer parks do they have in Albania anyways?
smiley36.gif

Just out of curiosity, how much cash and what kind of house must a person have in order for you to find them acceptable?

Lance Alworth

Mentor
White Shogun said:
Hey Lance,
smiley36.gif

Just out of curiosity, how much cash and what kind of house must a person have in order for you to find them acceptable?

Its not about how much money someone has. Its about one pulling him or herself by their bootstraps and making something of themselves

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Lance Alworth said:
White Shogun said:
Hey Lance,
smiley36.gif

Its not about how much money someone has. Its about one pulling him or herself by their bootstraps and making something of themselves

Like Gretchem Wilson didn't do that? And you still "trashed" her!

Lance Alworth

Mentor
jaxvid said:
Lance Alworth said:
White Shogun said:
Hey Lance,
smiley36.gif

Fair enough, she did do that, but what I don't like how this type of unacceptable behavior (the trailer park lifestyle) is glorified by these people. Its no different than the type of lifestyle that is glorified by (c)rappers. I don't understand why its ok for us to ridicule blacks for their lack of ethics and thuggish behavior (which don't get me wrong, it DESERVES to be ridiculed) but whites who are trashy get a free pass from us for the simple fact that they're white, and that somehow makes them our "white brothers and sisters" I have nothing in common with trailer park rednecks. I am a proud successful white man who's family came from another country and worked their asses off to be successful. My family and I are successful due to our strong work ethic and belief in God. If certain groups of white people don't want to do that than they are no different from the blacks who want to blame "whitey" for all their woes in life.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Lance Alworth said:
jaxvid said:
Lance Alworth said:
White Shogun said:
Hey Lance,
smiley36.gif

Fair enough, she did do that, but what I don't like how this type of unacceptable behavior (the trailer park lifestyle) is glorified by these people. Its no different than the type of lifestyle that is glorified by (c)rappers. I don't understand why its ok for us to ridicule blacks for their lack of ethics and thuggish behavior (which don't get me wrong, it DESERVES to be ridiculed) but whites who are trashy get a free pass from us for the simple fact that they're white, and that somehow makes them our "white brothers and sisters" I have nothing in common with trailer park rednecks. I am a proud successful white man who's family came from another country and worked their asses off to be successful. My family and I are successful due to our strong work ethic and belief in God. If certain groups of white people don't want to do that than they are no different from the blacks who want to blame "whitey" for all their woes in life.

I agree with your point above, I don't think the trailer park lifestyle should be glorified, I don't think Gretchen Wilson does that, but you have made a good point, better behavior should be demanded of our people.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
jaxvid said:
Lance Alworth said:
jaxvid said:
Lance Alworth said:
White Shogun said:
Hey Lance,
smiley36.gif

I agree with your point above, I don't think the trailer park lifestyle should be glorified, I don't think Gretchen Wilson does that, but you have made a good point, better behavior should be demanded of our people.

I'm glad you agree with me. As for whether or not Gretchen glorifies the trailer park lifestyle. All I know is that I saw a special on her on one of the country music channels and she was at some sleazy redneck bar getting trashed. I've heard a couple of her songs but the only one I can remember off the top of my head is "redneck woman" Now, maybe I'm not all that exactly up on things that are hip in that community, but isn't that term considered to be offensive? It just sort of reminds me of how all these (c)rappers brag about being "ghetto-fabulous"

One thing that really bothers me is how a lot of white people (especially those that would consider themselves to be "rednecks") say things like "I hate dem n*ggers" while they themselves are no better than the blacks they despise so much. Many of them are meth-heads, drunkards, and compulsive gamblers. I have more respect for an honest, hard working, God fearing black man than I do for whites who want to glorify the trailer park lifestyle

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Lance Alworth said:
As for whether or not Gretchen glorifies the trailer park lifestyle. All I know is that I saw a special on her on one of the country music channels and she was at some sleazy redneck bar getting trashed. I've heard a couple of her songs but the only one I can remember off the top of my head is "redneck woman" Now, maybe I'm not all that exactly up on things that are hip in that community, but isn't that term considered to be offensive? It just sort of reminds me of how all these (c)rappers brag about being "ghetto-fabulous"

Country music stars often glorify the redneck lifestyle. I'm sure that Randy Travis and Dwight Yoakum have written and performed songs about cheatin' drinkin' and fightin', it's part of the genre. Singing about it isn't always glorifying it, but that's entertainment, they ain't delivering Sunday sermons ya know!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Redneck used to be a term used to identify a farmer, who's work in the fields all day turned his neck red from sunburn. It later became a pejorative to indicate ignorant, backwards white people who were old-fashioned and not hip with the latest PC trends. It seems now that some white people have adopted the pejorative and turned it into a positive, taking pride in being old-fashioned, with traditional values, whether they are farmers or suburban city-dwellers. I imagine that Gretchen's use of the term in the song is meant to glorify these values, the traditional ideas one grows up with in a white culture, rather than any pejorative terms linked to trailer parks, out-of-wedlock births, or meth.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Lance Alworth said:
Fair enough, she did do that, but what I don't like how this type of unacceptable behavior (the trailer park lifestyle) is glorified by these people. Its no different than the type of lifestyle that is glorified by (c)rappers.

Lance, I understand what you are trying to say, but equating the life styles of rappers and so-called rednecks is a huge stretch. Yes, some white people contribute to their own woes no doubt, but the perception people living in trailer parks are trash is way off the mark. I have seen some very nice trailers and parks in my travels across the country. They can be very affordable and practical for people who aren't rolling in money. Often, old people are forced out of their homes because of confiscatory tax rates and resort to downsizing. Many retirees from the North for example, have moved to warmer climates and live in trailer parks because of finances.

I think, to many folks, anyone living in the South is a redneck, regardless of intellect, position or wealth. By the way, a personal friend of mine lives in a double-wide in Florida and he is worth millions.He is very thrifty andwould rather have his money work for himwith investments. Even still, he lives well.I think Jerry Springer is lower than many of the people on his shows.

I listened to a country tune the other daythat made me smile. The song was about a man remembering when he was a boy, his daddy bought an old boat in need of repair. They fixed it up and his dad let him drive. I can't remember the words, but that was the theme behind the tune.Rednecks sure like those types of songs, and so do I, even though I'm aNorthener.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
Bart said:
Lance Alworth said:
Fair enough, she did do that, but what I don't like how this type of unacceptable behavior (the trailer park lifestyle) is glorified by these people. Its no different than the type of lifestyle that is glorified by (c)rappers.

Lance, I understand what you are trying to say, but equating the life styles of rappers and so-called rednecks is a huge stretch. Yes, some white people contribute to their own woes no doubt, but the perception people living in trailer parks are trash is way off the mark. I have seen some very nice trailers and parks in my travels across the country. They can be very affordable and practical for people who aren't rolling in money. Often, old people are forced out of their homes because of confiscatory tax rates and resort to downsizing. Many retirees from the North for example, have moved to warmer climates and live in trailer parks because of finances.

I think, to many folks, anyone living in the South is a redneck, regardless of intellect, position or wealth.By the way, a personal friend of mine lives in a double-wide in Florida and he is worth millions. He is very thrifty and would rather have his money work for him with investments. Even still, he lives well. I think Jerry Springer is lower than many of the people on his shows.

I listened to a country tune the other day that made me smile.The song was about a man remembering when he was a boy, his daddy bought an old boat in need of repair. They fixed it up and his dad let him drive. I can't remember the words, but that was the theme behind the tune. Rednecks sure like those types of songs, and so do I, even though I'm a Northener.

I'm not saying that everyone who lives in a trailer is trashy. The term "trailer-trash" is somewhat of an ambiguous statement and when I think of it, I think of white people that are low-rent, and low-class... ie the meth and cokeheads of the white community. It almost has nothing to do with actually living in a trailer. Its just a term used to describe those types of people.

I've been around a few trailer parks in my day (I never lived in one, but I had friends that did) I used to know this girl that lived in one. She was a big time drug addict. I was sort of friends with her, but I distanced myself from her after she took me to one of her friends trailers. While we were there, her and all her friends were getting drunk, high, and coked up right in front of me. While the girl was in a cocaine-induced stupor, she tried coming on to me, kissing me, making me feel very uncomfortable, while tyring to pull down my pants. Being that I am extremely religious, and that I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, I was furious that this trashy girl would try to do something like that to me. I stopped talking to her after that incident.

That is where my contempt for the quote-unquote "trailer park people" comes from. I have had first hand experience with themEdited by: jaxvid