VH1 Rock Honors

Menelik

Mentor
Is it just me or is Gretchen Wilson doing a kick a$$ cover of Heart's Barricuda?

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I saw Gretchen Wilson live and she really rocks. She likes to do 70-80's rock and especially stuff like Heart. But the real reason she rocks is the guy who plays lead guitar in her band, that dude can really play the guitar!

Lance Alworth

Mentor
She sucks. She looks like your typical white trash Maury show guest with 3 children from 3 different black men. In fact, if she didn't have a career as a faux country-pop diva, thats probably what she would be doing

guest301

Hall of Famer
I got to see some of this last night and I enjoyed it. Gretchen Wilson is like the girl next door. She's very pretty but in a approachable kind of way. Lance, take a second look.
smiley2.gif

Menelik

Mentor
jaxvid said:
I saw Gretchen Wilson live and she really rocks. She likes to do 70-80's rock and especially stuff like Heart. But the real reason she rocks is the guy who plays lead guitar in her band, that dude can really play the guitar!

I think you are referring to Jerry Cantrell. He plays in a group called Alice in Chains. They were, imho, a great grunge band out of Seattle. I saw them when their lead singer, Lane Staley, was still living.

C Darwin

Mentor
Some years back, Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Audioslave) during an interview said that Ann Wilson never got the same treatment as Aretha Franklin did during her weight gain. He also stated that they were of equal talent. As anyone who watched the show can see, Ann can still belt it out better than any urban yodeler.

It's odd, Jerry Cantrell was / is the heart and soul of Alice in Chains, but Lane Staley was such a dynamic frontman, he just seems irreplaceable.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
Alice in Chains without Layne is an absolute disgrace. I DESPISE grunge rock (I'm an 80's metalhead all the way) but Alice in Chains were one of the few bands of that genre that I thought were actually decent

Lance Alworth

Mentor
guest301 said:
I got to see some of this last night and I enjoyed it. Gretchen Wilson is like the girl next door. She's very pretty but in a approachable kind of way. Lance, take a second look.
smiley2.gif

I've seen her from many different angles. She still looks like white trash to me. I've seen girls that look just like her trying to find out "who da daddy be" on the Maury Povich show. Thats just the vibe I get when I look at her. Plus her music sucks and is part of NWO's new breed of country music. The days of great country artists like Alabama and Randy Travis are all but over and have been replaced by cowboy hat wearing, sleeveless shirt wearing punks like Toby Keith and Tim McGraw

C Darwin

Mentor
Lance Alworth said:
The days of great country artists like Alabama and Randy Travis are all but over and have been replaced by cowboy hat wearing, sleeveless shirt wearing punks like Toby Keith and Tim McGraw

Chris LeDoux is the real deal.
chrisld1.jpg

Ann Wilson is much better than Aretha Franklin. Wilson sings, Franklin just screams.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Lance Alworth said:
guest301 said:
smiley2.gif

I've seen her from many different angles. She still looks like white trash to me. I've seen girls that look just like her trying to find out "who da daddy be" on the Maury Povich show. Thats just the vibe I get when I look at her. Plus her music sucks and is part of NWO's new breed of country music. The days of great country artists like Alabama and Randy Travis are all but over and have been replaced by cowboy hat wearing, sleeveless shirt wearing punks like Toby Keith and Tim McGraw

Don't understand the hate for popular country stars. Gretchen Wilson in particular is underserving of that criticism. While I don't know her exact politics I do know that she comes from very simple origins. She would probably refer to herself as "trash" as she once was a single mother who lived in a trailer park. Her unexpected climb to success is a tribute to her talent and drive, qualities we should be proud of in our people.

She has one video that features Merle Haggard and is a tribute to basic American virtues. She is not pretty in the classic sense but "cleans up nice" as she sings herself.

Toby Keith and Tim McGraw have made some good music. Neither is a "white nationalist" but both make it a point to sing about solid moral values albeit with tales of lifes many transgressions.

Either of these "punks" is a thousand times better then the metal head bangers that only sing about teen love and immerse themselves in drugs and debauchery. Furthermore the politics of all but a handfull of hard rock bands is to the left of Hillary Clinton. To criticize people that make good music about average Americans while celebrating the leftist perverts that only know three chords is mixed up to me.
smiley5.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
Lance Alworth said:
guest301 said:
smiley2.gif

Don't understand the hate for popular country stars. Gretchen Wilson in particular is underserving of that criticism. While I don't know her exact politics I do know that she comes from very simple origins. She would probably refer to herself as "trash" as she once was a single mother who lived in a trailer park. Her unexpected climb to success is a tribute to her talent and drive, qualities we should be proud of in our people.

She has one video that features Merle Haggard and is a tribute to basic American virtues. She is not pretty in the classic sense but "cleans up nice" as she sings herself.

Toby Keith and Tim McGraw have made some good music. Neither is a "white nationalist" but both make it a point to sing about solid moral values albeit with tales of lifes many transgressions.

Either of these "punks" is a thousand times better then the metal head bangers that only sing about teen love and immerse themselves in drugs and debauchery. Furthermore the politics of all but a handfull of hard rock bands is to the left of Hillary Clinton. To criticize people that make good music about average Americans while celebrating the leftist perverts that only know three chords is mixed up to me.
smiley5.gif

Excellent post Jaxvid. That video tribute song you were referring too featuring Merle Haggard is called "politically incorrect". Country music is still largely about traditional values and storytelling with out all the bitches and hoes you get in Hip Hop music. We here at CF have much more in common with country music than any other genre that's out there. I know alot of country music stars are for the war on terror and do benefits to support our troops and their families, but so what. Are some here going to hate on them just for that reason? Not me.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
jaxvid said:
Lance Alworth said:
guest301 said:
smiley2.gif

smiley5.gif

Heavy metal isn't particularly leftist. In fact its probably a lot more right-wing than other forms of rock music. Ted Nugent is a prime example of this, as well as bands/artists like Stryper and Alice Cooper who are Christian. You're probably thinking more along the lines of punk/alternative which is leftist to the core. Bands like Nirvana and Green Day are the leftist perverts who only know 3 chords you speak of.

As for Tim McGraw. He represents the epitome of the new breed of NWO country music. He supports things like f*g rights and abortion and is open about it. Toby Keith is the opposite but is just another side of the same coin. He's your typical neo-con wimp, singing about faux patriotism while supporting the unjust war in Iraq. Neither one of these losers could hold Randy Travis's and Dwight Yoakams jock strapsEdited by: Lance Alworth

guest301

Hall of Famer
I am a big fan of Ted Nugent and I agree with you about Tim McGraw. I like Randy Travis and Dwight Yoakam as well. Yoakams song "thousand miles from nowhere" is one of my favorite country songs and I have it on a cd I just burned. Lance, to my knowledge, Travis is a supporter of the war, not sure about Yoakam. I also don't think you should accuse people of faux patriotism just because you disagree with them on the war. I am sure the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan appreciate the support whether the policy of us being over there is wrong or not. I don't see too many rockers and hip hop artists going over there and putting on concerts and benefits for the troops. I agree with you about Green Day, they look like a bunch of fairies.
smiley2.gif
Will not be able to post again for three or four days, I going to try and enjoy my long extended memorial day weekend. Go Liddell, Beat Rampage. Edited by: guest301

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Lance Alworth said:
Heavy metal isn't particularly leftist. In fact its probably a lot more right-wing than other forms of rock music. Ted Nugent is a prime example of this, as well as bands/artists like Stryper and Alice Cooper who are Christian. You're probably thinking more along the lines of punk/alternative which is leftist to the core. Bands like Nirvana and Green Day are the leftist perverts who only know 3 chords you speak of.

As for Tim McGraw. He represents the epitome of the new breed of NWO country music. He supports things like f*g rights and abortion and is open about it. Toby Keith is the opposite but is just another side of the same coin. He's your typical neo-con wimp, singing about faux patriotism while supporting the unjust war in Iraq. Neither one of these losers could hold Randy Travis's and Dwight Yoakams jock straps

Bringing up Ted Nugent as an example of some sembelence of conservativism in Heavy Metal is like bringing up Tiger Woods as proof of black's ability to golf. They are the exceptions that prove the rule. Alice Cooper?! C'mon! The rest of metal muscians are liberal to the core with the exception of a few white pride bands. It's silly to even argue the issue with respect to country musicians.

"Faux patriotism" directed at guys that devote so much energy to supporting the troops, I guess they should just ignore them and all political issues like the head-bangers do and keep them selves in a drug induced, sex filled coma.

Dwight Yokum and Randy Travis are OK but why single Keith and McGraw out? Because they are more popular? They all make nearly the same music and come from the same background. I don't understand your dividing line. NWO country music? I gaurentee that Yokum and Travis have the exact same political/social tendencies as Keith and McGraw, and if they do not then why don't they say something about it?

Country music is better then rap but it has many of the same elements of liberal social thinking that infects all media produced entertainment. None of these people are very good on the issues but are by degrees better then other genre artists. I don't understand the singling out of Wilson and Keith vs. others though. Especially in comparison to heavy metal.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
"Bringing up Ted Nugent as an example of some sembelence of conservativism in Heavy Metal is like bringing up Tiger Woods as proof of black's ability to golf. They are the exceptions that prove the rule. Alice Cooper?! C'mon! The rest of metal muscians are liberal to the core with the exception of a few white pride bands. It's silly to even argue the issue with respect to country musicians."

The thing about metal is that most bands don't really even get into the political realm at all. Most of the songs were about things like chicks, following your dreams.. that sort of thing. I have no idea what Alice Coopers political views are but the reason I brought him up is because he is Christian, and as we all know the hardcore left hates Christianity with a passion

"Faux patriotism" directed at guys that devote so much energy to supporting the troops, I guess they should just ignore them and all political issues like the head-bangers do and keep them selves in a drug induced, sex filled coma.

And they also support an unjust war which is fueled by the NWO. Toby Keith is an *******. Do we really want people like him representing us? And didn't you just say headbangers were mostly liberal? Now you say they're ignoring political issues altogether. That right there is contradictory. And just for the record, why should anyone care about what these "artists" political views are anyway? I'm really sick of these self-righteous ******** like Bono trying to speak for an entire nation of people. Why should it be any different for people like Toby Keith?

Dwight Yokum and Randy Travis are OK but why single Keith and McGraw out? Because they are more popular? They all make nearly the same music and come from the same background. I don't understand your dividing line. NWO country music? I gaurentee that Yokum and Travis have the exact same political/social tendencies as Keith and McGraw, and if they do not then why don't they say something about it?

Yoakam and Travis are from a different era of country music... REAL country music, not this pop-fluff they're trying to pass off as country music nowadays. As for comparing the political views of Randy Travis and Tim McGraw, you couldn't be more incorrect. Randy Travis is a born again Christian and has publicly spoke out against many of the problems of the music industry, where as Tim McGraw is a big time liberal gonad.

Country music is better then rap but it has many of the same elements of liberal social thinking that infects all media produced entertainment. None of these people are very good on the issues but are by degrees better then other genre artists. I don't understand the singling out of Wilson and Keith vs. others though. Especially in comparison to heavy metal.

Saying that country music is better than rap is like saying Filet Mignon is better than dog sh*t, its a given. The one thing I don't understand is how you can lump all heavy metallers in the liberal category while I would argue that country has just as many, if not more leftists than metal does. Do the Dixie Chicks ring a bell?

KG2422

Mentor
My wife and I attended a Randy Travis concert last year. It was at the Houston Symphony. It was an excellent venue and his performance was awesome. We had a great time. If you get a chance to see him do so, especially if it is in a smaller sized setting like that.

C Darwin

Mentor
Lance Alworth said:
The thing about metal is that most bands
don't really even get into the political realm at all. Most of the songs
were about things like chicks, following your dreams.. that sort of
thing. I have no idea what Alice Coopers political views are but the
reason I brought him up is because he is Christian, and as we all
know the hardcore left hates Christianity with a passion
Not a prisoner, I'm a free man
bruce-dickinson-23498.jpg

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Lance Alworth said:
The thing about metal is that most bands don't really even get into the political realm at all. Most of the songs were about things like chicks, following your dreams.. that sort of thing. I have no idea what Alice Coopers political views are but the reason I brought him up is because he is Christian, and as we all know the hardcore left hates Christianity with a passion

I find it hard to believe that Alice Cooper's "Christianity" is anything more then an old man's attempt to rectify himself as he gets closer to judgement day. I bought Coopers first few albums way back when he first started out and his act was as outrageous as possible for those days and surely started more then a few kids into the devil worship and "evil is cool" way of thinking that has perverted our current society.

And they also support an unjust war which is fueled by the NWO. Toby Keith is an *******. Do we really want people like him representing us? And didn't you just say headbangers were mostly liberal? Now you say they're ignoring political issues altogether. That right there is contradictory. And just for the record, why should anyone care about what these "artists" political views are anyway? I'm really sick of these self-righteous ******** like Bono trying to speak for an entire nation of people. Why should it be any different for people like Toby Keith?

It's not that Toby Keith supports the war, he supports the troops. His support is genuiune and reflects the feelings of millions of Americans. Toby Keith has never tried to speak for the nation. He speaks for himself. And it was you that brought Keith and his politics into the discussion. I just like his music and the person he seems to be.

Yoakam and Travis are from a different era of country music... REAL country music, not this pop-fluff they're trying to pass off as country music nowadays. As for comparing the political views of Randy Travis and Tim McGraw, you couldn't be more incorrect. Randy Travis is a born again Christian and has publicly spoke out against many of the problems of the music industry, where as Tim McGraw is a big time liberal gonad.

Real country music? Who decides that?
Toby Keith first hit the charts in 1993 not too long after those other guys started, and like them, Keith had to change his sound to get recorded. They all had to "sell out" because traditional country music is like traditional rock---obsolete as far as the buying public is concerned. McGraw I don't care for much so I don't want to get into defending him.

Saying that country music is better than rap is like saying Filet Mignon is better than dog sh*t, its a given.

Fine, then country music is better then metal. Like that more?

The one thing I don't understand is how you can lump all heavy metallers in the liberal category while I would argue that country has just as many, if not more leftists than metal does. Do the Dixie Chicks ring a bell?

Yeah and who besides the Dixie Chicks? One leftist group and even they have backed off from that and it seems like it is just one "chick" who feels that way anyway. She has said stupid sh!t like she never liked country music anyway, what is that all about?

I don't know the real politics of metal bands because I don't follow them anymore but I do know that one of the main themes of metal is satanism. The satanic theme runs through all of the metal groups. From the founders like Cooper and certainly Led Zepplin and of course Black Sabbath. I still see it today with the whole goth thing and Marilyn Manson and others.

Compare that to the themes of country music singing about home, marriage, church, God, and yes even the evil country stars who sing about horrible things like patriotism (shudder). Better to bite the head off of a rat then sing about the "red white and blue" I guess.
smiley18.gif

White_Savage

Mentor
jaxvid said:
I bought Coopers first few albums way back when he first started out and his act was as outrageous as possible for those days and surely started more then a few kids into the devil worship and "evil is cool" way of thinking that has perverted our current society.

smiley18.gif

If I hadn't thought "evil was cool" at some point in my young life and been hell-for-leather for rebellion, then I wouldn't ever have grown up to be open-minded enough to realize that everything society at large tells us is wrong and that Castefootball is right. I'd probably be Hugging Baby Whales-of-Colour for Jeezus and believing the CBS evening news, or some other fate worse than death.
smiley4.gif

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were one of the Castefootballers who does not believe the principal characters in the Christianity/Satanism exist.

Besides, "The Hammer of the Gods will drive our ships to new lands, to fight the horde, sing and cry, Valhalla I am coming....". There, I dare you to argue with THAT Heavy Metal sentiment...
smiley4.gif

Basically, Cooper and now Manson's disgusting shock tactics strike me as lame, they are not frightening to anyone who is not timid and superstitious, merely naueseating and imitative. I'm not saying I'd want my children watching/imitating a particular rock band's antics, but probably an old Alice Cooper concert would be better for them than alot of Disney movies, the majority of their textbooks, or one of your typical films about St. Martin Luther King, The Civil War&Slavery, FDR, WWII, or any other P.C. Doctrine That Cannot Be Questioned, if you catch my meaning.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
I find it hard to believe that Alice Cooper's "Christianity" is anything more then an old man's attempt to rectify himself as he gets closer to judgement day. I bought Coopers first few albums way back when he first started out and his act was as outrageous as possible for those days and surely started more then a few kids into the devil worship and "evil is cool" way of thinking that has perverted our current society.

I never got that vibe from him. He always seemed genuine to me, not to mention he never fell into the traps that a lot of other rockers fell into, its not really all that far fetched that he is Christian. As for the thinking that has perverted our society, I attribute that to leftist tools like Green Day, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Rage Against the Machine rather than metal musicians. Those bands all support f@g rights, abortion, open borders, etc... All the metal bands talked about was partying and having fun. Don't see anything wrong with that

It's not that Toby Keith supports the war, he supports the troops. His support is genuiune and reflects the feelings of millions of Americans. Toby Keith has never tried to speak for the nation. He speaks for himself. And it was you that brought Keith and his politics into the discussion. I just like his music and the person he seems to be.

ok, fair enough, maybe you're right. Still don't like his music and I find the whole "lets put a boot in their ass" thing to be hokey as hell

Toby Keith first hit the charts in 1993 not too long after those other guys started, and like them, Keith had to change his sound to get recorded. They all had to "sell out" because traditional country music is like traditional rock---obsolete as far as the buying public is concerned. McGraw I don't care for much so I don't want to get into defending him.

A lot of country music traditionalists dislike artists like Toby Keith and Tim McGraw, probably much in the same way metal traditionalists started disliking Metallica after they cut their hair and started playing alternative. Its the same principle

Fine, then country music is better then metal. Like that more?

Don't really know what you have against metal. It hasn't influenced the society that I am discontented with (ala Rap) and I know that growing up listening to bands like Stryper, Motley Crue, Fastway, and Iron Maiden, I never was self-loathing and I always respected myself and my heritage. I attribute some of that to heavy metal as it has always been a form of white expression as well as a genre that has produced some of the greatest musicians ever

Yeah and who besides the Dixie Chicks? One leftist group and even they have backed off from that and it seems like it is just one "chick" who feels that way anyway. She has said stupid sh!t like she never liked country music anyway, what is that all about?

Kenny Chesney is another I can think of off the top of my head, and I'm sure he's not the only one either because as country music becomes more and more mainstream, the closer the artists come to the Hollywood elite. Thats why you see country stars marrying Hollywood celebrities now. 20 years ago that would have been unthinkable.

don't know the real politics of metal bands because I don't follow them anymore but I do know that one of the main themes of metal is satanism. The satanic theme runs through all of the metal groups. From the founders like Cooper and certainly Led Zepplin and of course Black Sabbath. I still see it today with the whole goth thing and Marilyn Manson and others.

Even though I'm a Christian, the Satanic thing doesn't bother me. Its imagery and nothing more. The only people that piss me off are people like Varg Vikernes from the band Burzum who goes around burning churches over in Norway. People like that are morons who take that sh!t way too far but those are the exception rather than the rule

Compare that to the themes of country music singing about home, marriage, church, God, and yes even the evil country stars who sing about horrible things like patriotism (shudder). Better to bite the head off of a rat then sing about the "red white and blue" I guess.

There is a difference between real patriotism and faux-patriotism. If they were real patriots they would be singing about the unjust crimes done by the US government to people like Randy Weaver, the Montana Freemen, and all the people that died in the massacre at Waco. They would also be singing about trying to seal our borders. I have nothing against the troops but the efforts of the Toby Keiths of the world would be better served at opening the eyes of people to the afformentioned atrocities that I mentioned.

And as someone brought up earlier, Gretchen Wilson grew up in a trailer park to a single mother. Some values her family must have had Edited by: Lance Alworth

Bart

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
[

I do.
smiley36.gif
Cattle call by Eddie Arnold is the best Western recording ever. The Sons of the Pioneers and Riders in the Sky made some great Prairie tunes. Jim Reeves had the best voice. Merle Haggard sang songs about the working man and was great when he was young. Don Williams, Randy Travis, Keith Whitley, George Straight, Alan Jackson and Brad Paisly are good story tellers also. Mickey Gilley and Jerry Lee Lewis twern't too bad either, pounding on those hoky tonk pie -anos. Ricky Skaggs and Vince Gill are pretty good too, even thought their voices are a bit high. Live Bluegrass music in the summertime in the open air is pert near being in heaven. So, there. And I love the Martha White commercials during the Grand Ol' Opry. I love good yodeling songs. Is there such a thing as a black yodeler? And Keith Whitley's version of Haggard's " I'll Just Sit Here and Drink" is a barn burner.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Let the healing begin! I like old time country music and even tune into the traditional country and bluegrass station for days at a time on the satellite radio.

I was raised on heavy metal and agree---it is NOT demeaning to whites. I have written before of where I grew up (the 8 mile area in Detroit that somehow spawned Enemim) and how the white kids in my neighborhood saw metal as OUR music and were proud of it.

However Toby Keith and Gretchen Wilson are good musicians, they make good music and from what I know about them they seem like good people. If this is just an arguement about what kind of music you like then there is no point in going on, but I meant not to address musical tastes but personal choices.

BTW I think the remark about Gretchen Wilson and her trailer park life is a cheap shot, there are lots of our white brothers and sisters living there, most trying to make a better life for themselves. If they are guilty of making mistakes in life then I have to plead guilty to that one too!

I'm sure Randy or Dwight could relate to that!

Menelik

Mentor
For what its worth (anyone remember the song?) I try to just listen to the music without any regard to the particular artist's views. I have supported/idolized too many "famous people" in the past only to be let down when I found out how much of a jerk he/she was.

Bart

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
BTW I think the remark about Gretchen Wilson and her trailer park life is a cheap shot, there are lots of our white brothers and sisters living there, most trying to make a better life for themselves.

I agree with you 100%.Besides, I kinda like that Redneck woman.