UFC99

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
A few spoilers here so don't read any more if you plan to buy the taped fights tonight:

RESULTS *************************************************************

Franklin UD over W. Silva
Velasquez UD over Kongo (the great black hope)
smiley36.gif

Swick KO Saunders
Cro Cop KO Al-Turk
Hardy SD Davis
Fisher UD Uno

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
A few thoughts:

1. As I (and many others) on CF have stated, Kongo is a better-than-average fighter who is vastly overrated due to his skin color and physique.

2. Though Cain handled Kongo, he is not going to seriously challenge Lesnar, Mir or even Carwin. He has a lot of improving to do on his standup.

3. Wandy needs to go back to 205. He was drained at 195. Not sure where he goes from here though the fight was very close. Unfortunately, Wandy is nearing the Liddell stage of his career and just can't fight like he used to.

4. Franklin has tons of options at 185 and 205. But I don't see him beating Machida or A. Silva.

5. Cro Cop is not necessarily back. Al-Turk is awful. I would like to see Mrko get Kongo back. But Cro Cop is a very small heavyweight and cannot hang with the top 5 in the UFC.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I agree with your round up of the fights, LL.

The UFC will start hyping Brown Pride Velasquez now that he derailed the Great Black Hope at HW. They need someone to tap into the Mexican market now that Huerta has moved on to other things.

I don't think Franklin has anything for any of the top at 205; and Anderson Silva will wipe out Wanderlei at 185. Franklin and Wanderlei just aren't at the top of the heap anymore. Franklin v Jardine would be good perhaps, but I fear Franklin is going to be a gatekeeper at 205 as well.

Wanderlei should consider retiring, imo. Just like Chuck.

Poacher

Mentor
After all this time Kongo still has no ground game. I can't believe he was clamoring for a title shot.

Glad to see Rich get a big win on his record.

CC came in to this fight at 233. That's 8-10 lbs bigger than normal if I'm not mistaken. Kongo re-match now? GG? Winner of Randy/ Nog? Should be interesting.

On another note...we've got Tim and Ray Mercer tonight. Wanna see Tim win of course but I'm not sure how seriously I'm taking it. Tim weighed in at 310! He should destroy the 48 year old Mercer. Mercer probably has one, maybe two good flurries in him but after that he'll gas. We'll see I guess. Hell, Tim's got to get back down to 265 for his Buentello fight in August.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Shogun,

Agreed. Wandy was drained at 195 and will be a zombie if he has to make 185. I think he might heave taken Franklin if the fight was at 205, but who knows.

Dana White is shrewd and knows the Hispanic market will like UFC if they have one of their own to cheer for. But 155 is the lowest weight they have. In boxing, most Hispanics (at least mestizo Hispanics) fight under 147. So we probably won't see many true mestizos shine in the UFC. Velasquez (who seems mostly white with a hint of Indian blood)is very talented on the ground and I'd say he is a top 10 heavyweight right now. But he doesn't have much of a stand-up game. He better develop one if he wants to hang with Lesnar, Mir, Carwin or even Nogs and a 46-year-old Couture.

I like Rich a lot but he is in an interesting situation. He can make big bucks fighting the likes of Machida, Rampage, Evans, Griffin, Marquardt, Bisping, Hendo and Maia. But I'm not sure how many of these fights he wins. He would compete well with most of these guys and maybe pull some upsets over Rampage or Griffin. But I think Maia subs him at 185 and A. Silva KO's him again. Machida is untouchable right now and Franklin might be slightly undersized at 205 for the top 4 fighters.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I'm pulling for Tim but I think Mercer ices him in a boxing match. If they met in a cage (or on the street for that matter) Sylvia would choke him out in less than a minute.

Poacher

Mentor
Great job Tim. Jesus.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Decent results (from a anti-caste perspective) for UFC 99. I saw some interviews with Kongo, and he doesnt seem like a bad guy at all. He seems to be a very hard worker, and very low key and not flashy or bold. He reminds me of most white atheles.

Actually, Cain V. seems like the "brown supremecist," not Kongo. However, due the the head-counting, race-obsessed bigots running our planet, Kongo would have been instantly given the world in MMA.

I'm surprised that nobody at CF mentioned last week's WEC Urijah Faber VS. Mike Brown II. It was another absolute war for the featherweight title....won once again by Mike Brown (UD).

Faber broke his right hand in the first round, and apparently dislocated his left wrist later in the fight. He was throwing elbows and kicks most of the fight....and both guys fought with true courage.

Mike Brown is something truely amazing. I'd love to see yet another rematch in a couple months. These are certainly the two most exciting fighters in WEC.

guest301

Hall of Famer
The all white crowd I was watching the fight were mostly cheering for Kongo, except me. Some of the whites around me didn't like the Brown Pride tattoo across Cain's chest and the other mostly dufus mid 20 year olds just liked the silly name "Kongo" and were chanting his last name before the PPV started.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Velasquez doesn't have the chin or power to hang with Lesnar or Carwin & Kongo doesn't have the ground game. Glad to see Rich win.

NorCal831

velasquez seems good, but i dont see him as a top tier heavyweight. i mean at this point he has no big wins at all. i want to see how he does against somebody like carwin, herring, nog, or gonzaga. from what i have seen he wouldnt stand a chance against mir or lesnar.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Cain needs to fight Herring next. The Texas Crazy Horse will give him a great test and may well beat Velasquez.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Thrashen said:
Decent results (from a anti-caste perspective) for UFC 99. I saw some interviews with Kongo, and he doesnt seem like a bad guy at all. He seems to be a very hard worker, and very low key and not flashy or bold. He reminds me of most white atheles.

Actually, Cain V. seems like the "brown supremecist," not Kongo. However, due the the head-counting, race-obsessed bigots running our planet, Kongo would have been instantly given the world in MMA.

I'm surprised that nobody at CF mentioned last week's WEC Urijah Faber VS. Mike Brown II. It was another absolute war for the featherweight title....won once again by Mike Brown (UD).

Faber broke his right hand in the first round, and apparently dislocated his left wrist later in the fight. He was throwing elbows and kicks most of the fight....and both guys fought with true courage.

Mike Brown is something truely amazing. I'd love to see yet another rematch in a couple months. These are certainly the two most exciting fighters in WEC.

Ididnt get a chance to see the fight but man would i have loved too! sounded like an all out war. I gues it jsut goes to show the stranglehold UFC still has on the MMAmarket. I saw some previews for the fight but i had no idea what channel it was on.

NorCal831

the WEC fights are on versus. and the wec and the ufc are both owned by the same parent company (Zuffa i believe), so the ufc making all this money is good for them too. i dont see why they just dont merge the two, since the WEC has different weight classes anyway (except for lightweight). would help guys like brown, torres, faber, and varner get some more recognition.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Kongo admitted kneeing Cro Cop in the balls on purpose. Said he didn't like it when Cro Cop complained the first two times he did it because those were accidents; so he purposely kneed him the third time. Then he went on to knee Mustapha Al-Turk in the balls twice in that fight.

In his fight against Velasquez, Kongo repeatedly held on to the cage to keep from being taken down, and held on to Cain's shorts as well. The 'Frenchman' is a pompous jerk who believes his own hype. Sorry Thrashen, I don't like the guy at all.

For those of you who don't know what Poacher was referring to, Big Tim Sylvia was KO'd by Ray Mercer ten seconds into the first round. He was KNOCKED OUT ON HIS FEET. It was like watching a tree fall. It took literally a couple of seconds for him to slowly crash to the canvas with Mercer draped around his legs, his head bouncing off the canvas. People knock Mercer as an old washed up boxer but the guy was in the Olympics and gave Lewis and others as much as they could handle before he retired. I find it really hard to believe that guys like Sylvia and Arlovski believe their stand up is good enough to become professional boxers. Boggles the mind.