UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
FYI, here's the card for tomorrow night's UFC on FX card from ACNJ...

CardWeight ClassRed CornerBlue Corner
Fuel TVBantamweight bout Edwin Figueroa
vs Ken Stone
Fuel TVWelterweight Dan Miller
vs Ricardo Funch
Fuel TVMiddleweight Nick Catone
vs Chris Camozzi
Fuel TVWelterweight Rick Story
vs Brock Jardine
Fuel TVWelterweight Matt Brown
vs Luis Ramos
Fuel TVFeatherweight Steven Siler
vs Joey Gambino
Fuel TVLightweight bout Ramsey Nijemvs C.J. Keith
Fuel TVFeatherweight Hatsu Hiokivs Ricardo Lamas
MainFeatherweight Ross Pearsonvs Cub Swanson
MainWelterweight Brian Ebersolevs TJ Waldburger
MainLightweight Sam Stoutvs Spencer Fisher
MainLightweight Gray Maynardvs Clay Guida

http://www.ufc.com/event/FX4#/fight

***The ol' Dixie outlaw will be pullin for Maynard, Fisher, Pearson & Brown (vs. mestizo Ramos).

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Thanks Dixie. Should be a good card. Better than the PPV on Saturday filled with Brazilian TUF fighters nobody has ever heard of.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Good to see Matt Brown KO Ramos. 3 fights, 3 wins in 2012 for Matt, who proudly calls himself a redneck.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Also, good to see Dan Miller (Jim's brother) get a win (over Funch via sub).

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Dadgum premature stoppage for Swanson vs. Pearson. :thumbdown: Ross was NOT out, just a little staggered. Pearson was foolish to stand with Swanson, as Cub has quicker hands & better boxing. Ross didn't utilize his wrestling advantage enough, as he should have sought to keep it on the mat. :icon_confused:

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Good scrap w/ Ebersole and Waldburger. Next is the rubber match with "King" Fisher & Sam Stout.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Spencer Fischer is someone who even though he live in Iowa, he refuses to wrestler. I think I've seen him attempt a takedown once in his whole career. If he didn't retire, he most likely would have been cut anyways.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
I had Maynard winning the last three rounds, but I think the judges will give it to Guida.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Hawk, I had it scored the same. Maynard had more effective strikes and better aggression. Clay's (poor man's) Machida/Cruz schtick didn't work beyond the 1st two rounds. My wife's a fan of Clay and thought he won, but I thought Gray did (w/ his Diaz brothers' routine in the latter rounds :icon_wink:) as Clay only landed a few effective strikes.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Guida generally doesn't fight that way, but Maynard had the better wrestling. Demetrious Johnson does that in every fight he's in, and no one calls him out on it.

Anak

Mentor
Hawk, I had it scored the same. Maynard had more effective strikes and better aggression. Clay's (poor man's) Machida/Cruz schtick didn't work beyond the 1st two rounds. My wife's a fan of Clay and thought he won, but I thought Gray did (w/ his Diaz brothers' routine in the latter rounds :icon_wink:) as Clay only landed a few effective strikes.

I've never understood how Clay Guida is a fan favorite. He is annoying as all get out.

I am so happy that Gray Maynard won that fight, the last couple of minutes of the 4th round were awesome. I thought Maynard won the last 4, definitely last 3 rounds due to aggression and "octagon control," even if Guida did manage to land more strikes. Some great poetic justice after Guida's showboating/taunting in the second round, what a putz.

Anak

Mentor
Glad Maynard won but neither guy overly impressive.

What could Gray do? He was lunging at him, running at him and Guida would run away. Guida should have received the warning for timidity much earlier.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
In Clay's defense rarely does this, other Fan Favorites like the guys I mentioned do it in every fight.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Clay had the size, strength & wrestling disadvantage....plus he (like fellow "fan favorite" Forrest Griffin) doesn't have heavy hands. Maynard should have been more aggressive in the earlier rounds as Guida didn't have much to offer in the way of power punches.

I respect Clay's awesome cardio, intensity and takedowns (in other fights), but his dancing schtick irritated me a tad. I think Clay may want to look at moving down to 145. :dodgy: