UFC Fight Night

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Wow. The much bally-hooed matchup between James 'The Sandman' Irvin and Houston Alexander turned out to be very anti-climactic. Especially for Houston fans.

The two touched gloves, Irvin throws a superman punch and hits Alexander right on the button. He goes down, Irvin pops him once more and Houston goes 'dead man,' arms stiff and straight up in the air. Irvin hits him one more time and Mazaggati stopped the fight. Alexander never even threw one punch.

Alexander got up, threw a hissy fit and complained that he was not out, despite the fact that Rogan took him through the Mickey's replay, which clearly showed Alexander OUT, Quarry-style. Alexander continued to insist that he was conscious, but oh well!
smiley36.gif

Irvin said they could continue the fight in the parking lot if Alexander was up for it. Rogan said, 'ah, we don't need to do that...'
smiley36.gif
Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Kurt Pellegrino pounded the crap out of Nate Diaz for a round and a half, then fell into a triangle and tapped out.

Lame.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Matt Hamill defeated Boetsch in the second round by ref stoppage due to strikes. The fight wasn't that exciting, neither man was very crisp with his striking. Boetsch gassed very quickly but Hamill seemed unable to capitalize until Boetsch went for a takedown, completely tanked. Hamill rolled him over and grounded and pounded Boetsch til the ref stepped in to stop the fight.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Thiago Alves beats Karo Parysian by ref stoppage due to strikes. The first round saw Karo controlling Alves most of the round, mainly in the clinch and on the ground, but there were few solid strikes that landed and no real submission attempts.

In the second, Karo again seemed to control the tempo. He had Alves against the cage, but Alves escaped and resumed the stand up fight. Alves then landed a knee in the clinch which saw Karo crumple to the mat. Alves landed a few more punches and Mazagatti jumped in to stop the fight. This one looked a bit premature, unlike the stoppage in the Alexander-Irvin fight, but nevertheless, it appeared that Alves was going to put a beating on Karo.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
In the starkest mixed-race fight of the night, the black Anthony Johnson put a first round beat down on Tommy Speer, the redheaded wrestler from last season's TUF.

Speer was way over matched in this fight, evident from the opening bell to the final punch that crumpled Speer to the canvas. Speer had nothing, he landed no strikes and even his two takedown attempts were stuffed by Johnson.

Of course, Rogan's and Goldberg's commentary was gushing with praise for Johnson's explosiveness, speed, and strength.
smiley36.gif

Is Speer still with his small time outfit? He needs to move up the food chain with his training if he ever wants to be even a decent fighter. He showed toughness, but that only gets you so far.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure who Speer trains with, socal. But he definitely needs to improve. I hate to say it, but his performance tonight was pretty sad.

Gray Maynard defeated Frankie Edgar by decision. There was some decent action in this fight. The two men exchanged plenty of punches, and Maynard took Edgar to the mat several times with takedowns and slams. It looked liked Edgar would get the better of the standup by a slim margin, and then Maynard would take him down. There were few submission attempts, however, and when Maynard would jockey for position Edgar would get back to his feet and reengage the standup battle. A fair, and expected, decision for Maynard.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Lauzon v Florian

Round 1: Lots of action! Great fight, back and forth striking and takedowns. Lauzon was in Florian's guard early in the round, and Florian drew blood with downward elbows to the back of Lauzon's head. The ref broke them up, warned Florian for striking to the back of the head. It looked like Lauzon had control most of the round, but when Florian had it he did more damage.

Round 2: Florian has hard mount first minute in! He has really high mount, but has a hard time landing strikes. Wow, Lauzon kicked his legs up over Florian and pulled him off. Florian has side control, now full mount again! Lauzon is doing a great job defensively, almost shrimped out but Florian regains mount. Florian rains down punches that have little effect, but Lauzon isn't doing anything. He is basically lying on his back, allowing Florian to pound on him. Looks like Lauzon wants out.

Herb Dean stops the fight, Florian by ref stoppage.

Side note: This fight took place in Denver, at high altitude. Rogan commented that Florian moved his training to Denver a few weeks out, while Lauzon remained in Hawaii training with BJ Penn. Lauzon definitely looked gassed, and altitude might have had something to do with it. Edited by: White Shogun

nopictures

Guru
I'm really looking forward to Boetsche, Maynard and Hamill fighting again. Edited by: nopictures

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
In the starkest mixed-race fight of the night, the black Anthony Johnson put a first round beat down on Tommy Speer, the redheaded wrestler from last season's TUF.

Speer was way over matched in this fight, evident from the opening bell to the final punch that crumpled Speer to the canvas. Speer had nothing, he landed no strikes and even his two takedown attempts were stuffed by Johnson.

Of course, Rogan's and Goldberg's commentary was gushing with praise for Johnson's explosiveness, speed, and strength.
smiley36.gif

I was really pulling for Speer to whoop Johnson, but he was overmatched.
smiley18.gif
Matt Hughes & (Matt's TUF wrestling coach) Matt Fiore were cornering Speer, so I suspect Speer may now be training with H.I.T. Squad in Granite City, IL with Hughes, Fiore, Robbie Lawler & Matt Pena (at least part time, as he works his Dad's farm).

Rogaine's fawning over Johnson was blatant pro-caste rhetoric. Let Johnson's lanky tail get in there with Jon Fitch, GSP, Jake Shields or even Matt Serra and he'll be exposed very quickly. A wrestler/GnP'r or submission wiz would wipe the map with Johnson.

It was good the see the Sandman KO caste-pushed (overrated) Alexander. YOston Alexander got lucky very against the more skilled Keith Jardine (one of my favorite Lght HWs). Also, I read Clay Guida beat Samy Schiavo by TKO in R1. Although Guida is 3-3 in the UFC, I enjoy his intesity, pace & wrestling. He's one of my favorite lightweights (along with Sherk & "Razor" Rob McCullough).

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
"In the starkest mixed-race fight of the night, the black Anthony Johnson put a first round beat down on Tommy Speer, the redheaded wrestler from last season's TUF."

Huh? I thought a white man, Irvin, KOing a well-hyped black man, Alexander, was the starkest mixed-race fight of the night. It holds the record for quickest KO in UFC history -- 8 seconds.
smiley32.gif

Think of that next time we hear garbage about black athletic supremacy. A white fighter KO'd a black fighter in 8 seconds!
smiley36.gif

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
The only 2 black contestants in the new Ultimate FIghter also got beat by whites.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
"In the starkest mixed-race fight of the night, the black Anthony Johnson put a first round beat down on Tommy Speer, the redheaded wrestler from last season's TUF."

Huh? I thought a white man, Irvin, KOing a well-hyped black man, Alexander, was the starkest mixed-race fight of the night. It holds the record for quickest KO in UFC history -- 8 seconds.
smiley32.gif

Think of that next time we hear garbage about black athletic supremacy. A white fighter KO'd a black fighter in 8 seconds!
smiley36.gif

You are right, Liverlips. But I was thinking 'starkest' because you can't get any blacker than Anthony Johnson. That boy was DARK.
smiley36.gif

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
True. The Irvin win will shut up a lot of Caste supporters and gay white nut-huggers. I will mention Houston Alexander whenever I hear someone make a joke about Gerry Cooney.

Ken Norton and Ron Lyle too!

Oh, and one of the blacks on Ultimate FIghter was KTFO by a white in the first fight. He was even crying like a newborn baby when he came too.

G

Good thing black guys don't have the belts at 205 and 185. People might believe the "myth" that they can fight.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
nevada said:
Good thing black guys don't have the belts at 205 and 185. People might believe the "myth" that they can fight.

Bass-akwards.

The myth isn't that blacks can fight, the myth is that white men can't.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Exactly! How much more talk of black supremacy in sports do we need? EVERY media outlet supports this myth EVERY day, when the fact is that whites dominate MMA/UFC and boxing.

For the record, Silva and Rampage are legit fighters and they seem nice enough. But I cheer for the white (and other non-black) fighters to smash the racist stereotypes in sport that perpetuates the Caste system.

nopictures

Guru
You may not think much of Anthony Johnson, but he definitely has the physical tools to go higher in the ranks. I'm saying this because I bet this guy could reach behind his shoulders and scratch his ass, he had a 7 inch reach advantage over Speer. Jesus. Reminds me of Silva who probably has the longest arms and legs in his division, too. Though obviously Johnson is no Silva, yet.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
Exactly! How much more talk of black supremacy in sports do we need? EVERY media outlet supports this myth EVERY day, when the fact is that whites dominate MMA/UFC and boxing.

For the record, Silva and Rampage are legit fighters and they seem nice enough. But I cheer for the white (and other non-black) fighters to smash the racist stereotypes in sport that perpetuates the Caste system.

Agreed, Liverlips. I like Silva and Rampage as well. Silva is all class and Rampage is funny as hell to listen too. I was impressed with what I heard from him and Forrest in the first TUF show. But that doesn't mean I will root for Silva or Rampage against a white fighter. If there was no caste system in place against whites I would root for whoever I liked or respected more. But the caste system is not going away anytime soon.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
nopictures said:
You may not think much of Anthony Johnson, but he definitely has the physical tools to go higher in the ranks. I'm saying this because I bet this guy could reach behind his shoulders and scratch his ass, he had a 7 inch reach advantage over Speer. Jesus. Reminds me of Silva who probably has the longest arms and legs in his division, too. Though obviously Johnson is no Silva, yet..

Johnson definitely has stand-up skills & some talent, BUT he'd be exposed by any quality wrestler/GnP'r or BJJ guru...whether it be Hughes, Serra, Fitch, etc. I just was disguised by "Blow Rogaines" fawning over the greatness of this kid. Let's see what he can do with a top level fighter.

[/QUOTE]

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I re-read through this thread and I didn't see anyone say that Johnson wasn't a good fighter. Just because you don't want someone to win doesn't mean you think he is a crappy fighter. My description of the fight focused on Speer's lack of prowess, not Johnson's.

People are often confused by the difference between wanting someone to win and thinking someone will win. They're not necessarily the same.

I agree, Johnson would get beat down bad by a top level MMA fighter like Hughes, et al, but then again so would Tommy Speer and many other young fighters. I think the UFC match makers thought this would be a good matchup for exactly the reasons Dixie pointed out - a tough, strong wrestler against a fast, stand-up fighter. However, the wrestling in this case was not up to the level it needed to be to make this match competitive.

JD074

Master
White Shogun said:
Alexander got up, threw a hissy fit and complained that he was not out, despite the fact that Rogan took him through the Mickey's replay, which clearly showed Alexander OUT, Quarry-style.

I would say it was more "Liddell-style," because it was only for a second, like Jackson's KO against Liddell. Franklin knocked Quarry into next month! But however one chooses to describe it, it was another highlight reel finish for Irvin! And not controversial. It's how the sport is officiated. Simple as that.

I thought it was interesting how many more people booed that stoppage than Karo's stoppage, even though that one was much more questionable. Were the fans wanting a war between Irvin and Alexander, or did they want a beat down... of Irvin at the hands of Alexander, and were frustrated because they didn't get it? I wonder. Edited by: JD074

freedom1

Mentor
Tommy Speer is too slow. After the first exchange you knew he'd be knocked out at any second. He also got dominated by a faster guy (Danzig) on the TUF show.

Couple of guys on this thread say they like Rampage Jackson. I read in a MMA magazine about a month ago an interview where Rampage Jackson said the best thing about MMA is that he gets to "BEAT UP WHITE PEOPLE & NOT GO TO JAIL FOR IT!"..