Hall of Famer
Formiga w the headbutt. Leads to him tapping out the American

Old Scratch

Mentor
Mario Yamasaki is a biased cunt.

b0WQR.gif

Hawkeye2

Mentor
I agree with the point deduction, but you're right he has in the past let Brazilian fighters get away with cage grabbing.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Hendo could win if he fights smart and uses his wrestling. He however will fight very predictable and lose by wanting to stand and throw. Shoguns TDD is awful, but Hendo won't try to exploit that.

Old Scratch

Mentor
Herb Dean is really inconsistent. Not sure why he didn't stop that fight in the first round, Hendo seemed out and in worse positions than Fedor was in.

Then the TRT cheat got a TKO in the third, but no warnings for punches to the back of the head.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Actually that was a good stoppage, Hendo was able to still defend himself. Shogun was face down turtled up, but I'm also hearing that Shogun verbally tapped. He was unable to stand up on his own and the doctors are looking at him now, so they might be right.

Old Scratch

Mentor
Actually that was a good stoppage, Hendo was able to still defend himself. Shogun was face down turtled up, but I'm also hearing that Shogun verbally tapped. He was unable to stand up on his own and the doctors are looking at him now, so they might be right.

After multiple shots to the back of the head.

Hendo was in a worse position than Fedor and Faber.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Punch to the back of the head is questionable rule too. On one hand it is very dangerous to punch people in the back of the head, and I understand the rule. However people exploit the rule. I've seen fighters who are flattened out on their stomach put their face into the mat and cover their ears, to try to hold off until the round ends. Because of that they have had to change the rules requiring the fight on the bottom to have to improve their postion.

Old Scratch

Mentor
So are knees to the head of a grounded opponent, and soccer kicks. It allows wrestlers to basically shoot with impunity.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
After multiple shots to the back of the head.

Hendo was in a worse position than Fedor and Faber.
Not at all the first punch was the one that took him down. He had one punch to the back of the head. Either way the rule stats you cannot stay in a position where you are face down, and not advancing.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
The rule was also enforced in the JZ Cavalcante vs Tyson Griffen fight. Griffen was flattened out with face down and his hands over his ears, and the ref stopped the fight.

Old Scratch

Mentor
Not at all the first punch was the one that took him down. He had one punch to the back of the head. Either way the rule stats you cannot stay in a position where you are face down, and not advancing.

ddffdf.gif

5 shots to the back of the head.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
So are knees to the head of a grounded opponent, and soccer kicks. It allows wrestlers to basically shoot with impunity.
So are 12 to 6 elbows, which is an effective way of ground and pound. I not a fan of the rule prohibiting knees to a grounded opponent either. Actually knees to the head of grounded opponent hurts a lot of wrestlers too, because when they're prevented from taking the wrestlers like to try too pull them down by there head. Actually Ben Askren was vocal about that rule.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Those shot were intending to go on the side. Face is completely down and his shoulder is covering his ears. Where should hendo punch him.

Old Scratch

Mentor
Those shot were intending to go on the side. Face is completely down and his shoulder is covering his ears. Where should hendo punch him.

They were in the back of the head, and he should not punch him in the back of the head because it's against the rules. Other fighters have to adjust and calibrate according to the rules, why should concessions be made for Dan Henderson?

Hawkeye2

Mentor
They were in the back of the head, and he should not punch him in the back of the head because it's against the rules. Other fighters have to adjust and calibrate according to the rules, why should concessions be made for Dan Henderson?
His first punch busted Shoguns nose, his second punch got shogun on the chin, he was done by then. The time between the first punch and those hammer fist is about three seconds. Every ref would have called those shots incidental. If he didn't bother to throw those punches. He would have still won because no doctor would allow a fighter to fight with a busted nose.
But I shot also point out that the rule about shots to the back of the head, is nicknamed the mohawk rule. Which mean no shot to the top of the head either. While the back of the head rule gets inforced. The top of the head rule doesn't. I see fights were a guy has an opponent in a crucafix and will be throwing shots to the top of the head because that's all that is exposed, or a guy might have someone in his gaurd and start throwing shots to the top on the head, and the refs never warn them.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Some good results last night for our guys. I was a bit disappointed with Villante and Parke should have been warned at least once before having a point deducted. But lots of good white talent coming up. We should have most and maybe all - of the belts back soon enough. Hendo and Rua is a bit moot. Shogun was done and in no condition to continue.