ufc 78

freedom1

Mentor
I've seen the commercials for UFC 78 advertising an intriguing fight between Houston Alexander and Thiago Silva. I've seen Alexander fight and he looks pretty awesome, but I've never seen Silva fight who according to Sherdog has an even better record than Alexander.

What do you guys think, can Silva take Alexander?

nopictures

Guru
I don't know. Houston, despite being obnoxious is pretty damn brutal, I haven't seen Thiago fight either....

I hope Bisping can redeem his loss to Hamill by exposing Evans, however :D

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Thiago Silva v Faixa Marrom

Thiago Silva v Rodrigo Riscado

Silva v James Irvin

Video of the last guy that Thiago Silva beat by TKO (Strikes)in the second round at UFC 75:

Tomasz Drwal

ufc75_3_silva_vs_drwal_2.jpg

ufc75_3_silva_vs_drwal_3.jpg
Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Houston Alexander is supposed to be the favorite in this fight. Silva has a good ground game, but has beaten most of his opponents by T/KO. I think the UFC is hoping for a slugfest, like they were hoping with Alessio Sakara, but I'm thinking Silva will take Houston down and submit him.

G

I think Evans beats Bisping. Bisping is weak against wrestlers.

Alpha Male

Mentor
Dude, every one of your posts is negative. Why do you even post here?Edited by: Alpha Male

guest301

Hall of Famer
I have the same question. He probably gets a kick out of the negative reaction he continually gets. He accussed the founder and owner of this site of not being a serious enough football fan on another thread in NFL Forums.
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Poacher

Mentor
Despite his two UFC wins I don't think Alexander is a very good fighter. He is a big 205'er to be sure but I think he is one dimensional. Like White Shogun I will be curious to see what happens if Silva can get this thing to the ground.

nopictures

Guru
I don't know about either Houston or Silva, but I do know that Houston Alexander has a pyramid shaped head to deflect blows ;_;

dkr77

Guru
I agree. Both of Alexanders wins have come after an early barrage of punches against his opponent. Thiago Silvas ground work looks to be very solid and his standup looks good also. I think Silva weather's the initial storm by Alexander and then takes him into deep water cardio-wise. I doubt if Alexander can maintain the pace at which time Silva can take him out however he wants. Silva by second round submission.

I also think Bisping pulls' off the upset against Evans. Hamill is a much better wrestler than Evans and he couldn't keep Bisping on the mat so I don't think Evans can either. If Bisping gives Evans plenty of lateral movement and mix up his leg and hand strikes I see the count pulling off a decision upset here.

The best match of the night I think will be Fisher vs Edgar. Edgar really impressed me against Tyson Griffin and Fisher always comes to fight. This should be a war! I'll take Fisher by KO in the third round.

Another good match will be Karo Parysian against Ryo Chonan. Chonan is dropping down to the 170 division and Karo always puts on a good show. I say Karo wins a decision victory with he and Chonan putting on a good display of throws!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I know there are those will grumble and complain about this card, but other than the main event I think it's stacked top to bottom. I agree with dk, all three of those fights should be good. I'm looking forward to this card more than I have any of the past few UFC's, despite the lackluster main event.

dkr77

Guru
I'm also looking forward to Joe Doerkson vs Ed Herman. Herman seems like a complete A$$hole (actually a friend of mine confirmed it)and I hope Doerkson works him over like a hooker on nickel night.

freedom1

Mentor
I just watched the little promo thing on Rashad and Bisping. For the most part they both seem like pretty decent guys.

If Bisping can hang in there in the early part of the fight when Rashad will be at his strongest, I think Rashad will punch himself out and Bisping will prevail.

It's the same with Silva. He has to weather the initial storm and take Alexander into places he hasn't gone before.

I agree with dkr77, Herman seems like a real prick. Go Doerkson!!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb and make official predications (if anyone cares.) I haven't been very good at this in some time, and I hope, in a few cases anyway, that I'll be wrong a few times tonight.

Edgar v Fisher:
Great fight. I'm going with Fisher's experience in this one.

Chonan v Parisyan:
Pride curse strikes again. Parisyan by TKO.

Doerksen v Herman:
Doerksen by TKO/GnP

Silva v Alexander:
Although I think Silva is the more well-rounded fighter and has a more superior ground game than Houston, if I had to put money down I'd put it on Alexander: TKO Rnd 1.

Bisping v Evans:
I have never been impressed with either of these guys, to be honest. But Evans has been in the bigger fights, in front of non-partisan crowds. I think Evans beats Bisping by lay n' pray. Evans by UD.

My predictions are different than who I hope to see win though. I'll be rooting for Fisher, Doerksen, Parisyan, Silva, and Bisping.

I'm really looking forward to these fights. Hope they live up to their potential. See you after the fights!
smiley32.gif
Edited by: White Shogun

freedom1

Mentor
From Sherdog:

Round 1
Alexander walked patiently forward and clinched with Silva before taking the fight to the ground. Silva reversed the position with a single-leg and took the mount, where he landed some heavy shots. More shots rain down on Houston. Silva pounds away until Alexander is knocked out. The referee pulled the Brazilian off at 3:25 of the first.

Another brother bites the dust.

White_Savage

Mentor
So their one "phenom" gets KTFO and their other poster brutha is not better than some English guy who also happens to have also won TUF. I don't like that Rashad remains undefeated, but Bisping would had to have KILLED him to get the nod, UFC politics being what they are.

Not a terribly upsetting turn of events, though Evan's squeakby will be spun in his favor.

White_Savage

Mentor
From the way the fight momentum was going, Bisping probably would have won a 5 rounder, too.

Poacher

Mentor
Alexander was exposed as the one dimensional fighter that he is as the Brazillian pounded him out.

Bisping could have won the fight if he had pushed the pace. Evans could hardly breath from half way through the second round until the end. Evans gets the split, big whoop.

nopictures

Guru
Bisping definitely would have won a five rounder, what an upset... the war of the funny faces, Houston *puffy lips* Alexander and Thiago *scrunchy* Silva, came to a surprise to me, Thiago dominated the powerful but one dimensional Alexander almost as quick as he had taken out Jardine, in similarly brutal fashion.

I hate both Evans and Alexander's cocky attitude, and I guess it may be some time before we see Evans taken down a notch.

On that note, regarding scoring, shouldn't powering out of a "on bottom" position nullify any point loss getting grounded yields, I mean come on, how hard is it to tackle someone, really? Particularly compared to getting a 250lb man firmly intent on knocking you out off you?

Rashad's complete lack of technical ability was exposed yet again as he was unable to mount any competent offense from guard... oh lawd... ;_; I am exaggerating a bit, obviously, but come on, this is the biggest "gimme" since Bisping x Hamill
smiley2.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
2-3. Lol@me and my predictions.
smiley36.gif

Nothing takes the fun out of a good night of fights like a bad decision. I was actually surprised that Evans won. I thought Bisping clearly won rounds 2 & 3. How many points should a fighter get for having practically everyone of his takedown attempts stuffed in one round? But one bad decision deserves another I guess; Bisping won the gift decision in the UK against Hamill, so...
smiley5.gif

Maybe I am just easily surprised these days or something, because I was also surprised that Alexander went right for a clinch and takedown. But he and his camp had supposedly watched a lot of tape on Silva, so maybe they realized this guy has KO power, having won 9 of 11 fights by KO. At any rate, it was pretty exciting to see melon-head actually get KO'd from the mount.

And next time I will remember not to make any predictions.
smiley2.gif

dkr77

Guru
Bisping was railroaded on that decision. I thought it was pretty even on the feet with Bisping stuffing most of the takedowns and giving Evans some hard nasty knee's to the midsection. When Evans finally got Bisping to the ground he couldn't inflict any damage and Bisping would pop right back to his feet. I had Evans winning round 1 and Bisping winning rounds 2 and 3. Terrible decision by two of the judges
smiley7.gif

I agree dkr77. Bisping won 2 and 3 hands down. Evans is a dog when it
comes to stamina. His vaunted grappling skills are definitely overrated. He
couldn't keep Bisping down and Bisping's a Johnny-come-lately to the
ground game. As mentioned earlier though, with the pressure on to make
the sport darker, Bisping would have had to literally murder Evans to get a
decision.

It was good to Alexander get KTFO. I also enjoyed his anger and disbelief -
did you guys see him trying to fight with the corner guys, he couldn't
believe that he was actually out for a bit. He thought they'd unfairly stopped
the fight. We'll see if he maintains his cocky attitude now that his
weaknesses were tossed front and center for everyone to see.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
So much for blacks taking over UFC. As usual, they go out on their backs at the hands of a stronger white man or get a gift decision. We'll have all 5 belts again pretty soon.