UFC 169

Liverlips

Hall of Famer

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
It occurs to me that not everybody here follows much MMA. The white fighters fighting non-whites are: Faber, Mir, Baugitonov, Varner, Enz and Umlatov. White v. white matchups involved Catone v. Watson, Iaquinta v. Lee and Martin v. Magomedov.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Mir, Enz, Umlatov and arguably Varner (fighting a very dark Hispanic) are fighting blacks.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Mir often comes off as a mouthy d00shbag, BUT I hope he wipes the mat with "Untereem".

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Mir doesn't have much of a chance against Reem. If you look at there mutual opponent Brock Lesnar, Mir struggled against Lesnar, while Reem destroyed Lesnar. This fight is happening for two reasons, 1 is because JDS doesn't seem to want to fight right now, and because UFC is trying to get Mir to retire. DFW has been trying to convince both Dan Henderson and Frank Mir to retire for the past year, and neither seems interested, so they are hoping that is they get destroyed they will retire.

itsme

Guru
Very predictable main card: Renan Barao by close decision (48-47) Jose Aldo by TKO Alistair Overeem by brutal KO in the 1 Round. Murr is done. Ali Bagautinov by decision Jamie Varner by decision

Hawkeye2

Mentor
I have it the same, except i think Bagautinov will get a first round sub. Lineker has no TDD. All the fights on the main card are very predictable. I guess they figured no body would order the pay-per-view on the Superbowl weekend, so why put together any good fights.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Would love to see Faber and Mir pull the upsets. For me, this card I preferable to the Super Bowl as there are many more whites. This SB is another coal fest.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Tony Martin is very good! He looks and fights exactly like Rory MacDonald too.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Tony Martin crashed, he had a very tough fighter, with a lot more experience though. It's funny they give black guys easy opponents, yet they give him an M-1 champ. I expect Martin to come back better than ever though. He could have won this fight had he fought smart though.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
The rule is if it takes you more than ten seconds to get a takedown then you should abandon it, and never attempt more than three takedowns per round.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Andy Enz gets Clint Hester. Hesters had like three fights in the UFC, while Enz is making his debut. WTF.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
I hope Iaguinta can win and salvage this crappy card. Hester will lose as soon as he faces someone who can actually wrestle. He seems like a crackhead.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Nice win for Al. Lee was surprisingly good and will likely get Martin who was also impressive in defeat.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Both Watson and Catone are very limited. The winner likely gets Hester - who is always lightly matched and very beatable.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
I was thinking the same thing. Watson can't wrestle and Cattone can't keep it on the ground. Hester will definitely get someone like that.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Wow awful scoring today, both Watson and Makdessi got screwed. I had Makdessi winning 30-27.

Fortitud3

Guru
I can't remember seeing a ethnic Russian in the UFC before, anyone know of any?

Old Scratch

Mentor
Did Joe Rogan get instructions to hype up Demetrius Johnson at every opportunity? It's a little weird. He always headlines Fox cards too where they hype him up to casual viewers.

Old Scratch

Mentor
Mir could have easily taken that round if he had just maintained top control, he has the worst fight IQ ever I think

Fortitud3

Guru
So in 5 months, Overeem goes from Browne fight to this fight in terms of conditioning.

That's gotta be blood doping.

Its funny how JDS gets to fight Mark Hunt after his first loss to Cain, then gets another title shot, but Browne has to fight Werdum and probably even more after that to even get a title shot.

Last edited:

Old Scratch

Mentor
JDS had a much longer road before that, though. And Browne is only on a 3 fight win streak, before that he was KO'd. He looked terrible against Overeem, he kept throwing out teep kicks to the face and one finally landed because Overeem gassed from beating on him. I don't know what you can take out of the Barnett fight, Cain's takedowns are different.