UFC 159 - Sonnen vs. Jones

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Here's the card for tomorrow evening's UFC 159 from Newark, "Noo Joysee"...

Main card
Weight ClassMethodRoundTimeNotes
Light HeavyweightJon Jones (c)vs.Chael Sonnen[SUP]Note 1[/SUP]
MiddleweightMichael Bispingvs.Alan Belcher
HeavyweightRoy Nelsonvs.Cheick Kongo
Light HeavyweightPhil Davisvs.Vinny Magalhaes
LightweightJim Millervs.Pat Healy
Preliminary Card (FX)
LightweightRustam Khabilovvs.Yancy Medeiros
Light HeavyweightGian Villantevs.Ovince St. Preux
Women's BantamweightSara McMannvs.Sheila Gaff
BantamweightBryan Carawayvs.Johnny Bedford
Preliminary Card (Facebook)
FeatherweightLeonard Garciavs.Cody McKenzie
WelterweightNick Catonevs.James Head
FeatherweightSteven Silervs.Kurt Holobaugh

http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC159#/fight

***Ye olde Dixieland outlaw will be pullin' for Chael, Belcher, Nelson, Khabilov, Villante and McKenzie.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Not a huge UFC fan but hope Sonnen beats the **** out of Jones after this joke of an nfl draft

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Cody McKenzie cuts to 145 from 185. he lasted about 30 seconds his last fight and might last a little longer this time. Shame as he was 2-2 and coming of a win when he was at 155 - where he should have stayed.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I give Sonnen a better shot than most as his wrestling could put Jones on his back for the first time. But Jones should find a way to put Chael away. Roy will KO Kongo and I hope Magalhaes can beat Davis - but BJJ v. wrestler usually goes the way of the wrassler nowadays...

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Hehehe ... Joe Rogan just said McKenize was fighting in his swimming trunks!

Hawkeye2

Mentor
The Villiante fight should get overturned, or he should get a rematch. I had him winning round two and he was the fresher fighter in round 3. The ref blew the call.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Pat Healy is like the poor man's Ben Askren. He has no striking, and wasn't a great wrestler, but has a strong gas tank. Somehow he seems to win fights by doing nothing more than not stopping.

Old Scratch

Mentor
No one thought that ridiculous fight put together solely to hype TUF would go any other way. Gustafsson should be fighting him, not the #2 MW.

TBProdigy

Guru
Fck Chael Sonnen, hes been living on his first fight hype against Anderon Silva for too long. He has talked himself into big fights for paydays/longshot opportunities and done damage to the reputation of real talented white fighters. The sad thing is I actually let him talk me into believing he had a chance, I totally forgot what he actually was; an unproven middleweight with a very undesirable record and you know I was totally willing to overlook that, but I just didn't see him coming in for a fight. He looked beaten from the start, he was slow, sloppy, weak, If I didn't know before, I could guarentee he would lose after the first 10 seconds.

Congrats to Big Country on a great KO

Last edited:

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Chael didn't deserve the shot in the first place. He is not that good of a wrestler, he does Greco-Roman which is a style that is not relevant in the United States. Also that stupid WWF act is getting annoying, you put the biggest steroid user WWF guy against even someone Frankie Edgar's size and they will get destroyed.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Looks like it will be either Silva/Jones or Phil Davis/Jones next. Silva will get destroyed, and Davis's outlook doesn't look much better.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Yes its time for Chael to retire. All he's done is embarrass himself with his loud mouth and clown antics.. Like someone else mentioned he's lived off the hype of his fist fight with Silva for too long. Not to mention after that fight he was busted for performance enhancers and he's not been close to fighting like that since! See ya in the WWE Chael!

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Not a bad card overall. Roy's KO of Kongo is highlight reel stuff and would be featured on ESPN if the races were reversed. Strange as it seems, Chael was a few seconds from winning the belt. Jones likely would have been stopped from fighting with that freakish broken foot between rounds. Chael popped right up and complained about the stoppage. Everyone seemed to agree Vilante was on his way to a decision win when the Negro poked him in the eye. That decision by the ref screwed Gian out of a win.

Old Scratch

Mentor
Chael had no business being in there with Jon Jones and was thoroughly dominated at his own bread and butter. He wouldn't have deserved the belt if he had won it over a freak toe injury after being outclassed like that, and he shouldn't complain about the stoppage as the rules are pretty clear; defend yourself at all times. Turtling up into a ball while punches and elbows are raining down on you isn't defending yourself and every other fight except Lesnar vs Carwin has ended when that happened including his in his own rematch against Silva.

I want to see Jones vs Gustafsson, I'm confident that Gustafsson will maul him. The Sonnen fight was a complete waste.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Here's the card results. Good wins for Nelson, McKenzie & Khabilov.

Main card
Weight ClassMethodRoundTimeNotes
Light HeavyweightJon Jonesdef.Chael SonnenTKO (elbows and punches)14:33[SUP]Note 1[/SUP]
MiddleweightMichael Bispingdef.Alan BelcherTechnical Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)34:29[SUP]Note 2[/SUP]
HeavyweightRoy Nelsondef.Cheick KongoKO (punches)12:03
Light HeavyweightPhil Davisdef.Vinny MagalhaesDecision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)35:00
LightweightPat Healydef.Jim MillerSubmission (rear naked choke)34:02
Preliminary Card (FX)
LightweightRustam Khabilovdef.Yancy MedeirosTKO (thumb injury)12:32
Light HeavyweightOvince St. Preuxdef.Gian VillanteTechnical Decision (majority) (30-28, 30-29, 29-29)30:33[SUP]Note 3[/SUP]
Women's BantamweightSara McManndef.Sheila GaffTKO (punches)14:06
BantamweightBryan Carawaydef.Johnny BedfordSubmission (guillotine choke)34:44
Preliminary Card (Facebook)
FeatherweightCody McKenziedef.Leonard GarciaDecision (unanimous) (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)35:00
FeatherweightSteven Silerdef.Kurt HolobaughDecision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)35:00