UFC 131 - Carwin vs. JDS

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Here's the card for Saturday's UFC 131 in Vancouver, BC (Canada)...

Main card

* Heavyweight bout: Junior dos Santos vs. Shane Carwin
* Featherweight bout: Kenny Florian vs. Diego Nunes
* Heavyweight bout: Jon Olav Einemo vs. Dave Herman
* Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs. Mark Muñoz
* Lightweight bout: Donald Cerrone vs. Vagner Rocha

Preliminary card (Spike TV)

* Lightweight bout: Canada Sam Stout vs. Yves Edwards
* Middleweight bout: Jesse Bongfeldt vs. Chris Weidman

Preliminary card (Facebook/Youtube)

* Light Heavyweight bout: Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Mike Massenzio
* Middleweight bout: Nick Ring vs. James Head
* Featherweight bout: Dustin Poirier vs. Jason Young
* Heavyweight bout: Joey Beltran vs. Aaron Rosa
* Featherweight bout: Michihiro Omigawa vs. Darren Elkins

UFC 131 - Carwin vs. JDS

***The ol' Dixie outlaw will be pullin' for Carwin, KenFlo, Maia (vs. filipino Munoz), Cerrone, Stout (vs. afflete Edwards), Soszynski, Poirier (vs. mongrel Young), Elkins (vs. jap Omigawa).

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Carwin has the power to knock out any Heavyweight in the division!Junior better be careful if he wants to stand and throw with Carwin, not to mention Carwin is a decorated wrestler. I think Carwin is a step up from Lesnar who was supossed to fight Dos Santos. I have him winning that fight. Illanxious for KenFlo as well can't wait to see what he does at Featherweight.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
In general, I think we will win most of the caste matchups. However, I think JDS takes Carwin.

JDS is a white Brazilian so not a big loss caste-wise.

I didn't like the way Shane gassed against Brock. But mostly, I don't like Carwin's new diet. He plans to come in around 252. That is about 30 pounds lighter than he usually is when he walks in the cage. And about the same size as JDS.

Whenever a fighter comes in way lighter than usual he losses.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Just saw the UFC countdown show. Nunes is from southern Brazil and was touting his Italian heritage on the show. Florian is an Italian from Peru so I guess we cannot label this a caste matchup.

Florian should handle Nunes unless the weight cut saps him of strength and stamina.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
Just saw the UFC countdown show. Nunes is from southern Brazil and was touting his Italian heritage on the show. Florian is an Italian from Peru so I guess we cannot label this a caste matchup.

Florian should handle Nunes unless the weight cut saps him of strength and stamina.
<div></div><div>Pretty crazy. There are a lot of Italians in Southern Brazil and Argentina that's for sure. Those were hot destinations for Italian Immigrantsbesides America, in the 1890's and early 1900's. They seemed to aclimate well with the Germans, Portugese, and Spanish. Must be a white people thing. </div><div></div><div>But Liverlips lets be honestCarwin needed to cut weight and better his cardio. The guy was so dominant he hadn't ever fought out of Rd 1 !! He ran out of gas against Lesnar, so I'm glad to see him on adiet. I'm looking forward to a leaner, more cut physically,Shane Carwin.</div>
Edited by: celticdb15

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
"But Liverlips lets be honest Carwin needed to cut weight and better his cardio. The guy was so dominant he hadn't ever fought out of Rd 1 !! He ran out of gas against Lesnar, so I'm glad to see him on a diet. I'm looking forward to a leaner, more cut physically, Shane Carwin."

Cutting weight has nothing to do with better cardio. It can actually make your cardio worse by making you feel drained.

Riddick Bowe, Oscar de la Hoya, Nicolai Valuev, Chris Byrd, Brandon Vera and numerous other fighters in recent years were hailed for cutting weight and looking ripped prior to fights. Yet they all gassed badly and were badly drained of energy.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
"But Liverlips lets be honest Carwin needed to cut weight and better his cardio. The guy was so dominant he hadn't ever fought out of Rd 1 !! He ran out of gas against Lesnar, so I'm glad to see him on a diet. I'm looking forward to a leaner, more cut physically, Shane Carwin."

Cutting weight has nothing to do with better cardio. It can actually make your cardio worse by making you feel drained.

Riddick Bowe, Oscar de la Hoya, Nicolai Valuev, Chris Byrd, Brandon Vera and numerous other fighters in recent years were hailed for cutting weight and looking ripped prior to fights. Yet they all gassed badly and were badly drained of energy.

Valuev looked ripped? That never happened as he's always been about 20lbs overweight for his fights. Bowe was out of shape and fat for quite a few fights as well.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Valuev was 310 (his lightest weight ever)for his fight with Holyfield and he looked terrible even though everyone was praising him for finally coming "in shape." In fact, he looked worse in that fight than I ever saw him and it was the only time he really gassed.

Bowe came in 20 lbs lighter for the second Golota fight and looked weak and emaciated (and he fought like it).

Oscar de la Hoya came in at 147 for Pacquiao and looked awful though he was "ripped" and had "abs."

Byrd was ripped for his drop down to 175 and was tooled by a journeyman on ESPN.

Brandon Vera started his declne when he dropped to 205 from heavyweight.

There are many others who just perform terribly when they drop lots of weight. Funny thing is, heavyweights don't really have to lose weight as they only have to make 265 (which was not too hard for Carwin).

Hope I'm wrong but I've never seen a fighter improve by dropping tons of weight.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
By the way, in every single instance cited above the fighters say they expect to have greater stamina and increased qucikness. All they usually succeed in doing is dropping muscle and coming in dehydrated and weak.

Hope this time it is different as I really like Shane.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
By the way, in every single instance cited above the fighters say they expect to have greater stamina and increased qucikness. All they usually succeed in doing is dropping muscle and coming in dehydrated and weak.

Hope this time it is different as I really like Shane.

They probably lose the weight too fast. You won't lose muscle if you lose the weight very slowly but that amounts to a maximum of two lbs per week. I'm sure most of these fighters try to lose too much weight very quickly and that's where the trouble starts.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Fnally a takedown and Young was like a turtle on his back!

This fight should not be close but Poirier is making it harder than it should be.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Poirier wins but he has looked better. He is only 22 so hope he keeps improving.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Nick Ring and James Head almsot look like twin brothers. Two good white prospects at 185.

hawkeye

Guru
Young isn't all that impressive, personally I think Ratcliff should have been signed by the UFC before him. Poirier was the much better fighter, but his gameplan wasn't very good.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I agree. Poirier is a much better athlete but could have went to the takedowns a little earlier and had an easier night.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Sam Stout (white) has the KO of the year so far against Yves Edwards (black). Yves was out before he hit the floor with his legs twitching.

hawkeye

Guru
I just heard Edwards had to be taken to the hospital. They did the post fight press conference without him.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I don't doubt it as he was out cold.

Stout was very professional in not landing any more punches (he could've as the ref was across the ring).

Would Yves had let up if the places were reversed?

hawkeye

Guru
I think the Einemo/Herman fight should get fight of the night. It was back and forth until Herman got him with those knees in the second round.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Glad to see Florian win. Aldo is very vulnerable at 145. I think a solid wrestler who can take a punch would beat him.

hawkeye

Guru
results
Darrin Elkins def Michihario Omigawa UD
Joey Beltran def Aaron Rosa TKO round 2
Dustin Poirier def Jason Young UD
Nick Ring def James Head Sub round 3
Krzysztof Soszynski def Mike Massenzio ud
Chris Weidman def Jesse Bongfeldt sub round 1
Sam Stout def Yves Edwards ko round 1
Donald Cerrone def Vagner Rocha ud
Dave Herman def John Olav Einemo tko round 2