UFC 107 : Penn vs. Sanchez

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Here's the full card for this weekend's UFC 107 in Memphis, TN...

Main Card

* Lightweight Championship bout: B.J. Penn (c) vs. Diego Sanchez
* Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs. Cheick Kongo
* Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs. Mike Pierce
* Lightweight bout: Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida
* Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello vs. Stefan Struve

Preliminary Card

* Middleweight bout: Alan Belcher vs. Wilson Gouveia
* Lightweight bout: Matt Wiman vs. Shane Nelson
* Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks vs. Ricardo Funch
* Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs. Lucio Linhares
* Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs. Edgar Garcia
* Welterweight bout: Kevin Burns vs. TJ Grant

***I'll be pulling for Penn, Mir, Struve (vs. Mexican Buentello), & Belcher.

UFC 107

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Looks like a loaded card, i'll be watching it at a buddy of mines!!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
CB15, I'll either watch it at my pal's or meet some chums at a Sports Bar.

guest301

Hall of Famer
That's a nice card. Don't like Penn at all and will root for Diego. Diego looks more white than Penn anyway. It's nice to see Fitch in action again and Mir should own Kongo standing up or on the ground.

guest301

Hall of Famer
One more thing. Florian/Guida could easily be a donnybrook and fight of the night if past Guida fights tell you anything but I pick Florian to win.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
"Diego looks more white than Penn anyway."

An excellent point!!

Penn has that wide (classic) Chinaman skull..

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Neither one of them look White to me. However, Penn's Dad is White (Irish/English) & Mom is Korean. I don't really like Diego or BJ, both are a bit arrogant & quirky, BUT they're top notch fighters & this should be a great match-up. My wife cannot stand Diego, so I decide to join her in pulling for BJ.

I'm really wanting to see Frank Mir man up & take out caste-pushed Kongo. If Frank brings the same striking we saw against Nog & his A level BJJ, he should win this. I don't like the c0cky Mir, but he gets the nod against the "afflete".

guest301

Hall of Famer
DixieDestroyer said:
Neither one of them look White to me. However, Penn's Dad is White (Irish/English) & Mom is Korean. I don't really like Diego or BJ, both are a bit arrogant & quirky, BUT they're top notch fighters & this should be a great match-up. My wife cannot stand Diego, so I decide to join her in pulling for BJ.

I'm really wanting to see Frank Mir man up & take out caste-pushed Kongo. If Frank brings the same striking we saw against Nog & his A level BJJ, he should win this. I don't like the c0cky Mir, but he gets the nod against the "afflete".

Dixie, it's good that your wife watches MMA with you. That sounds like my type of lady.
smiley2.gif

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
I'm going with Penn due to his dad being white and because I'm sick of Sanchez and his quasi,one with the universe, Tibetan monk bullsh*te routine. I want BJ to kick his Aztlan back across the border.

Also going to pick Guida over Florian, along with Mir over his simian like opponent.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I never trust Frank "Samurai Boy" Mir. Anyone who gets TKFO by Brandon Vera so easily is a risk for caste humiliation against Kongo. I realize that Mir doesnt even consider himself white, but I still hope he wins.

Guida needs this win very badly, I think he has 10 losses already. It's a shame, because he's always so exciting.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
The Mir-Kongo bout is the main event for me. It is the only real caste bout (for me that means black v. white) on the main card though Wiman v. Nelson is also a caste match on the under card.

A little concerned that Mir comes in at 264 with all that weight lifting. He wanted to bulk up after his defeat against Brock but not sure that is the smartest move. Still, should be enough to handle the DWF's favorite fighter. Kongo always loses when he steps up (Herring, Velasquez) and this will be no different. Would love to see Frank take an arm or leg of the great black nope.

Oh - BJ will take Sanchez pretty easily IMO. Penn is awesome at 155.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Thrashen said:
I never trust Frank "Samurai Boy" Mir. Anyone who gets TKFO by Brandon Vera so easily is a risk for caste humiliation against Kongo. I realize that Mir doesnt even consider himself white, but I still hope he wins.

Guida needs this win very badly, I think he has 10 losses already. It's a shame, because he's always so exciting.

Yeh, Francisco "Murr" is a big-mouth sh_t talker. I was glad Brock demolished him. With his caste-esque attitude it's hard to pull for him...except for tomorrow night.
smiley2.gif

Good point on Clay G. I'm sure Dana and Lorenzo love his high intensity, so even with another loss, he'll be back. However, he badly needs a win. His wrestling, cardio & pace are superior to KenFlo's...BUT Florian's BJJ & striking are better than Guida's. I'm pulling for Clay, but I think KenFlo by sub or decision.

P.S. - I'm hoping 6'10 Struve drops Mexican Buentello's @$$!

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Great card. We went 2-0 in caste matches and Kongo - the epitome of a no-talent great black dope - went to sleep in a little over a minute at the hands of Frank Mir. I guarantee you Kongoid will still be called "the most lethal striker in the game" by the black racists and DWFs/beta males at Sherdog.com. But he was put down yet again by the superior white athlete.

Strangely enough, I'd love to see a rematch between Florian and Penn. BJ is awesome but don't think we saw the real Florian against BJ in August. Both looked very good tonight.

Bear Backer

Mentor
WHITE NOISE said:
I'm going with Penn due to his dad being white and because I'm sick of Sanchez and his quasi,one with the universe, Tibetan monk bullsh*te routine. I want BJ to kick his Aztlan back across the border.

I am with you on that. I have never liked him at all, even though he most likely has more European genetics in his tree than your run of the mill squaty Mestizo. He seems like one of those self important fake douches that we have all known from one time or another. If he wasn't "one with the universe" Martial Arts guy, he would be the badly playing to impress the girls guitar guy, or the Blue Falcon who consoles other guys girlfriends after they have had a fight, so he can try to get in her pants type of guy.

hawkeye

Guru
Mir destroys kongo though. Not only did he knock him down but then he submitted him. Mir dominated the guy that brown pride struggled with.

hawkeye

Guru
I knew Mir would win. Mir has defeated Nog, Lesnar, and Sylvia, who has Kongo ever defeated. Also Mir loss to Brendan Vera was mainly due to the fact that he had a realy bad motorcycle accident, and didn't allow himself time to recover fully.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Mir was superb and BJ looked unbeatable. I made 10 bucks off of those two fights.. Nothing better than a good ol' wager.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Here's the full results from UFC 107 last night (some good victories for White fighters )

Preliminary Card

* Welterweight bout: Kevin Burns vs. TJ Grant

Grant defeated Burns via TKO (strikes) at 4:57 of round 1.

* Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs. Edgar Garcia

Johnson defeated Garcia via submission (triangle choke) at 4:03 of round 1. This bout aired on the PPV broadcast after the Penn vs. Sanchez fight.

* Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs. Lucio Linhares

Palhares defeated Linhares via submission (heel hook) at 3:21 of round 2.

* Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks vs. Ricardo Funch

Hendricks defeated Funch via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-25).

* Lightweight bout: Matt Wiman vs. Shane Nelson

Wiman defeated Nelson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

* Catchweight bout (195 lbs): Alan Belcher vs. Wilson Gouveia

Belcher defeated Gouveia via TKO (strikes) at 3:03 of round 1. This bout aired on the PPV broadcast after the Mir vs. Kongo fight.
smiley20.gif

Main Card

* Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello vs. Stefan Struve

Struve defeated Buentello via majority decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-28).
smiley32.gif

* Lightweight bout: Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida

Florian defeated Guida via submission (rear naked choke) at 2:19 of round 2.

* Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs. Mike Pierce

Fitch defeated Pierce via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).

* Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs. Cheick Kongo

Mir defeated Kongo via technical submission (guillotine choke) at 1:12 of round 1.
smiley32.gif

* Lightweight Championship bout: B.J. Penn (c) vs. Diego Sanchez

Penn defeated Sanchez via TKO (cut) at 2:37 of round 5 to retain the UFC Lightweight Championship.

Bonus awards

Fighters were awarded $65,000 bonuses.

* Fight of the Night: United Alan Belcher vs. Wilson Gouveia
* Knockout of the Night: TJ Grant
* Submission of the Night: DaMarques

***NOTES :
- BJ looked the best I've seen him. Next up will be White fighter Gray Maynard (if he gets past Nate Diaz at Fight Night Live on 01/11.

- Florian looked solid & will be back in title/rematch contention soon.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Dixie is there any chance of Pudzianowski signing with the UFC? I would really like to see him make some serious money. He's the most athletic 300 lb man on the planet and strongest but he's been basically earning peanuts in Strongman. If I recall correctly you only get $40,000 for a first place win. I know he has done some commercials for MetRx but he needs to get some better paydays.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I seriously doubt it WA33. First off, he'd have to drop to 265 (& possibly lose some of that power for his WSM training). It's almost like he'd have to totally sell out for MMA. Secondly, he doesn't have the marketability/name recognition that Lesnar did (coming from the WWE). Pud's best chance would be to pursue MMA 100% and rack up a 10-0 type record while up'ing his skill set. If he doesn't totally pursue MMA, I think he'll be stuck in the European bush leagues a while.

I will say he might have a chance to land in Strikeforce, as former WWE/current TNA wrestler Bobby Lashley just signed with them (he's fighting Ron Waterman on 1/30/10).

guest301

Hall of Famer
hawkeye said:
How did Mir not get submission of the night?

Because Mir is a main-carder and probably makes plenty of money being a former champion and all. The special bonuses allow the guys who don't make it to the ppv main card a chance to pull in a decent income and the incentive to have a entertaining fight. So unless the submission is so awesome and obviously belongs to Mir, he doesn't get itEdited by: guest301

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Demarques deserved the bonus. Upkick to triangle is much harder to pull off than a guillotine against an unskilled grappler like Kongo.