UFC 101 : Declaration

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
Anyone think the UFC suggested to Forrest that he 'make it an exciting fight' like Elite XC did to Seth Petruzzeli against Kimbo? Maybe he was working for a 'fight of the night bonus.'

He took much harder shots from Rampage straight on the jaw and didn't go down. The KO shot from Anderson Silva was a straight jab off of one foot while backpedaling.

Maybe Forrest wasn't out, he just didn't want to fight anymore.

Who knows? Anderson Silva has to be recognized as the best MMA fighter on the planet right now. I know we love Fedor on this board, but I don't know anyone in the game right now that I would favor over Anderson. There is a list of 'well, maybe...' but would any of you put money down against Silva? I certainly wouldn't.

I thoughtthe same thing about Forrest taking shots from Rampage but cant from Silva? silva had Forrest off balance and stumbling in the two minutes he lasted.No one is unbeatbale tho, we
saw that with Miguel Torres being ko'd. Siva looked sloppy in his prior two fights but looked absolutely untouchable in this one. I think it all depends on Silva's attitude, he came out ready to compete and had something to prove.

NorCal831

i have been thinking about this since sunday and there are only 6 fighters outside of the heavyweight division (in my opinion) that would have a shot against silva and they are in order:

1. Machida - machida has the all around game to hang with and beat silva. only thing is if these two were to fight it would be a potential snooze fest seeing as how they are both counter punchers, training partners, and real good friends. not sure who would be the favorite

2. TIE bewteen GSP and Henderson - both are powerful guys with great wrestling that could potentially take silva down and get the fight to the ground where they would have a chance at winning. they both have outstanding wrestling, with henderson being stronger and having the better punching power and GSP being quicker, the better athlete, and having better jui jitsu.

4. Shogun - this is based mostly off of his pride fighting days, and more of a wait and see ranking. if he loses badly to machida i would take him off this list completely. if its very competitive id put him ahead of GSP and Hendo, if he beats machida he goes to number 1. either way a silva shogun fight would be very entertaining given the bad blood between silva and shoguns camp.

5. Rampage - If he takes the fight to the ground he'd have a very good chance at getting a win, but something tells me he'd pull a forrest and try and stand and trade punches with silva. giving his strength he would have a punchers chance, but i think he would get knocked out, either by a flurry of punches or by some muay thai knees to the face a la his fights with the other silva.

6 Wanderlie Silva - Speaking of the axe murderer, he is the final person i believe would have a shot. now if this were about 3 years ago he would be at or near the top of the list, but after his last few fights he barely makes the cut. i honestly think he would have almost no chance, but you never know with him, one of those wanderlie flurries could get him a KO victory.

and those are the only guys i think would have anything more than a slim chance at victory against silva.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
WS, of course Fedor, Lesnar & Carwin would obliterate Silva. Under HW division...I'd give Machida, Maia, GSP, Henderson & Marquardt good chances of beating Silva.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I don't agree that Fedor, Lesnar, and Carwin would automatically own Silva. They'd have to hit him first. Lesnar might take it to the ground with a bull rush and tackle, and win by holding him down, but even then he might get KO'd on the way in.

I could see Silva standing on the outside and completely out boxing Fedor on the feet. I doubt Silva would make the same kind of mistake that Arlovski made.

Henderson and Marquardt already had a shot and both of them were owned. Maia is a good grappler but like others before him, I believe he gets KO'd on the feet the way Thales Leites was put away. Silva would just avoid going to the ground with Maia and that would be the end of it.

Machida would have a chance, but like I said in the original post, I wouldn't put the money on him to win. I did say there were a few guys who would have an outside chance, a 'maybe...' but none of these fighters brings enough for me to the table to think that will beat Silva. Edited by: White Shogun

Poacher

Mentor
I think Maia has the best chance.

Silva has an incredibly wide stance. I don't know why guys don't aggressively attempt subs on Silva's legs more often. Sucker the guy into an exchange and shoot for a leg and roll into a knee bar. That's not impossible is it? Hell, if Chonan can pull off the impossible surely someone else can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=267i7rKeECA

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
WS, with all due respect partner, I think you may be giving Silva too much credit. If Travis Lutter & Dan Henderson can take him down, I'd bet the farm that a 280 lb NCAA D1 champ Brock Lesnar takes Silva to the mat at will.If a 250 lb BJJ Black Belt Mir couldn't (re)sub Lesnar, then a 215-225 lb Silva wouldn't either. Lesnar is far too powerful & explosive for the lanky Silva..Brock by GnP/TKO.

Fedor has heavier hands & is stronger (with an iron chin). I'd give Silva the quickness & kicking advantage, but nothing else....Fedor by sub, TKO or decision.

Machida is more allusive, just as accurate on strikes with solid BJJ. I'd say it not be a "gimme", but I'd take Machida over Silva. Machida wouldn't go "toe to toe" & make Silva miss & become frusturated.

GSP against Silva at a catch-weight (177 or so) would reveal GSP's wrestling, speed and atheletic advantages. I'd say GSP by TKO or decision.

BTW, Henderson did NOT get "owned" by Silva...Dan won in the 1st round by G&P. I like Henderson's odds at a re-match...he's stronger, 10x the wrestler, solid chin & heavy hands. Marquardt has much improved & is stronger than Silva as well. I'd say those 2 would have a solid chance, but not definite.Maia wins via sub IF it went to the mat...if not, Silva by KO.

***All in all, I say Silva's the 4th best figher right now.YOshad & Jardine exposed Forrest's chin, so I'm not overly impressed by Silva's KO (especially after 2 prior lackluster wins).Edited by: DixieDestroyer

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Silva is not the best P4P. Fedor is for 100%. Silva will be exposed sooner or later. I too agree with DixieDestroyer that Georges St Pierre could beat Silva.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Guys- at least 6 of the top 12 pound-for-pound guys in the sport are white:

Fedor
GSP
Brown
Lesnar
Bowles
Fitch

Maia wil be joining this list very soon and I give him an excellent shot at beating Silva. Heck, Dan Henderson could still beat Silva. He won the first round but got caught. Take Silva down and you will see he is not as dominant as when he is striking.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
Guys- at least 6 of the top 12 pound-for-pound guys in the sport are white:

Fedor
GSP
Brown
Lesnar
Bowles
Fitch

Maia wil be joining this list very soon and I give him an excellent shot at beating Silva. Heck, Dan Henderson could still beat Silva. He won the first round but got caught. Take Silva down and you will see he is not as dominant as when he is striking.

Good points LL. And two of the top 10 P4P fighters are half-White (Machida & Penn). If Donald "The Cowboy" Cerrone wins the WEC LW strap on Sept 2nd against (negro) Ben Henderson, then I'd consider him/Cerrone a top 12 P4P as well.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Public service announcement! For those that didn't get to see UFC 100, Spike is showing the fight card tonight starting at 10pm eastern. I am guessing the Lesnar/Mir fight will start around midnight. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
Public service announcement! For those that didn't get to see UFC 100, Spike is showing the fight card tonight starting at 10pm eastern. I am guessing the Lesnar/Mir fight will start around midnight. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Showtime's Strikeforce card starts live at 10 PM EST, with Gina Carano (!!!) headlining against Cyborg. It's the first time a women's bout has ever headlined an MMA event. I missed UFC 100 but knowing the outcome already, I have no desire to see Forrest and Florian get beat down, so I'll be watching Strikeforce.
smiley17.gif

Bear Backer

Mentor
ToughJ.Riggins said:
What is Forrest thinking? You have to fight your own style to win. There are many ways to win a fight and a win is what's important. I still think Silva would have won, but Forrest should have turned it into a wrestling match and done everything to elude a punch fest. I don't know if he would have been good enough to elude taking a big punch, but he's quick and agile- so it was worth a shot. He had to turn the match into a dance around the ring fight- and then take any opportunity he had to get into a grapple and take down Silva...damn!

Seriously embarrassing effort by Forrest. He should be ashamed of his performance. After watching that fight, I am conflicted on whether or not he even deserves to be given an opportunity again in UFC. I didn't think he had much of a chance against Silva, but he just looked like he completely mailed it in. It looked like he Accepted that he couldn't win and decided to get it over with ASAP. Especially the way he bolted to the back post match. Edited by: Bear Backer

JD074

Master
foobar75 said:
I think his accomplishments and record are very much comparable to GSP and Fedor. As for Machida, I'd like to see him defend and hold on to his title a couple more times before he can mentioned on the list with the other 3.

I agree. Machida is very talented, but he hasn't accomplished as much in his career as GSP, Fedor, and Silva have in their careers. He has their talent, but not their accomplishments... yet.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Forrest doesnt want your kids to look up at him

<TABLE =cols cellSpacing=0 sizset="121" sizcache="0">
<T sizset="121" sizcache="0">
<TR sizset="121" sizcache="0">
<TD colSpan=2 sizset="121" sizcache="0">
<DIV style=": none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%" =m sizset="121" sizcache="0">
<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px; : none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px" =m-inner sizset="121" sizcache="0">
<DIV sizset="121" sizcache="0">
<DIV =m sizset="121" sizcache="0">
<DIV =sub sizset="121" sizcache="0">
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="75%" sizset="121" sizcache="0">
<T sizset="121" sizcache="0">
<TR sizset="121" sizcache="0">
<TD vAlign=top rowSpan=3 sizset="121" sizcache="0">
<DIV style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 24px 0px 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 550px; PADDING-RIGHT: 15px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" sizset="121" sizcache="0">
Griffin talks about Silva loss (sort of)
Monday, September 28, 2009 | Print Entry
<DIV =blogEntry sizset="122" sizcache="0">

Posted by Jake Rossen/Sherdog.com
<DL =wide-photo>
<DT>
mma_forrest_griffin1_576.jpg

<DD>
Ed Mulholland for ESPN.com
Forrest Griffin probably doesn't have to worry about kids idolizing him any more.</DD></DL>
<DIV =sp-clear>

Forrest Griffin hasn't had much use for media attention since his decisive loss to Anderson Silva on Aug. 8 in Philadelphia; he ran out of the cage and right into a (scheduled) marriage in Savannah, Ga., ignoring our morbid requests to verbalize his disappointment along the way.

Thanks to the extreme affability of interviewer Dave Farra, Griffin did permit MMA30.com to ask him about the bout, which he hadn't spoken about publicly.

<DIV style="WIDTH: 200px" =io sizset="124" sizcache="0">
<DIV =clearfix sizset="124" sizcache="0">
<H4 =io-title>Tweet, tweet</H4>
Don't miss a moment of the latest MMA coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »

And as it turns out, he still hasn't.

"I have no idea [what happened]," Griffin said. "I was on 'ludes. I don't remember. What happened?"

Griffin added that he saw no need to address the media afterward.

"Anytime I lose a </TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
"Anytime I lose a fight, that's what I'm doing from now on "¦ there's nothing to say. It's not about talking. I thought this was a fighting sport. "¦ It just gets old, people putting hopes and dreams on you, telling you they put money on you, 'You're my kid's idol.' I don't want to hear that s---. Get Tom Brady on your kid's wall."

Telling any fighter that you wagered on him and trying to road-map a guilt trip is as lame as it gets, but there's really no stopping kids from idolizing grown men who excel in sports. Athletes can resist it as much as they like, but unless Griffin would like to personally shove each juvenile fan of his into a mud puddle, he's better off rolling with it.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
If he is done talking and doing the aw shucks self-deprecating humor thing, the fans will be done with him. He is tough and has a lot of heart, but his personality and ability to deal well with losing during interviews were what endeared him to a lot of fans, imo.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Forrest is tough as nails & a solid fighter. His mistake was not trying to shoot on Silva & work for a sub. FG may still have lost, but he could have probably stretched the fight out longer...and not been embarrassed.He needs to focus more on wrestling/BJJ and work to the mat against strikers, because his chin is too suspect.