TUF 3

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Is it just me, or do there seem to be a lot of a**holes on this season's show? I was glad to see that arrogrant kid Jesse get tapped out by arm bar, after watching his behavior in the house.

Of course, the editors know how to spin the story to give us villains and heroes, too. In this case I'd say it worked.

From what I've seen on the show, I'd much rather work with Ortiz than Ken Shamrock, too. Ortiz is on the mat rolling with his guys, sparring, and training along side them. I understand Ken's point of view, that he needs to watch everything going on in order to make corrections, but you can't beat grappling with someone better than you to gain experience.

White_Savage

Mentor
Shogun: I hate to admit it, but Ortiz seems to be a really good coach. I still think Shamrock is right about his attitude and I hope to see him get his ass beaten when he fights Griffen though.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I'm not even close to making a prediction of that fight. Ortiz hasn't been in the octagon in 14 months, and the only guys who've really ever owned him were Couture and Liddell. I thought a lot of Griffin because of his war with Bonnar, but after watching Bonnar struggle with Jardine.. I don't know what to think. I don't know who they've been training with, I don't really know enough about Griffins' ground game to know how he will handle it if he gets taken down and Ortiz goes for the ground n' pound. Lots of uncertainty - but then again that's why I'm going to watch the fight. Not to mention to watch Arlovski hand Sylvia his ass on a platter again.

I've read a lot about Ortiz, and by almost all accounts the people who've met him outside the ring say he is a great guy. I know back when the UFC was in its infancy, he would travel around and ref local shows to give the sport (and himself) some publicity. He made himself available for autographs, bullsh*t sessions, and seemed like he appreciated the fans. I hated what I saw of him in the octagon, and couldn't wait to see him get beat. But his fans will say he took on the role of villain for publicity and to boost the PPV sales of the early UFC shows. Whoever he is, he seems to be a good coach and genuinely interested in seeing those guys succeed.

p.s. I think Shamrock is an ******* anyway.

freedom1

Mentor
Yes, there are more A-holes on this season's show. I mean you can't just walk off without say anything, you gotta show some respect for your coach. He should've at least went up to Shamrock and said, "hey, I'm hurt, I gotta sit down for a little while." I also was glad to see the arrogant kid get tapped. He seemed like one of those guys whose dad never gave him a good beating. And that one guy with the meticulously shaped beard seems like a real arrogant prick too. Who knows, on those other reality shows they try to cast aggressive people they know will stir things up cause it makes for good TV.

JD074

Master
White Shogun said:
Of course, the editors know how to spin the story to give us villains and heroes, too. In this case I'd say it worked.

Yep, and people on reality TV shows know how to act in order to get face time.
smiley29.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley15.gif
smiley35.gif
Edited by: JD074

Michael Bisping showed some nice ability in tonights fight, I was afraid he was going to go down like the other Brit. He had good quickness and seemed to be able to react to the flow of the fight pretty well. I'm actually kind of surprised that the coaches seem to be putting up their best against the other teams worst. While it may give your guys a pass into the next round, eventually it will turn the tables on you and you will be putting your weakest against their strongest.

SteveB

Mentor
For anyone that doubts the popularity of UFC and MMA, this was posted on UFC.com.

TUF 3 Out-Delivers 3 Major Sports on Spike TV

SPIKE TV'S "THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER" DELIVERS MORE MEN 18-34 THAN THE THREE MAJOR SPORTS ON CABLE COMBINED ON

NEW YORK, NY, May 1, 2006 - The fourth episode of Spike TV's hit series, The Ultimate Fighter 3®, out delivered more men in the hard-to-reach demographic of M 18-34 than the combination of the NBA Playoffs on TNT, the NHL Playoffs on OLN, and a marquee MLB match-up between the Red Sox and Indians on Thursday, April 27. The Spike TV telecast drew 799,000 Men 18-34 while the three combined telecasts drew 725,000.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Baby Jewish boy Rory Singer, who complained pre-fight about his career as an RN cleaning the 'toushes' of fat women, wins by kick to the head and knocks out the black trash talker 1 minute into Rd 2.
smiley32.gif

It was so bad that Solomon had to ask Shamrock who won the fight. He didn't even know what happened. Ken told him, "Rory won, Rory won the fight." The look on Solomon's face was hilarious. He couldn't believe he lost. "NO sh*t?!"
smiley36.gif

smiley20.gif

White Shogun said:
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Baby Jewish boy Rory Singer, who complained pre-fight about his career as an RN cleaning the 'toushes' of fat women, wins by kick to the head and knocks out the black trash talker 1 minute into Rd 2.
smiley32.gif

It was so bad that Solomon had to ask Shamrock who won the fight. He didn't even know what happened. Ken told him, "Rory won, Rory won the fight." The look on Solomon's face was hilarious. He couldn't believe he lost. "NO sh*t?!"
smiley36.gif

smiley20.gif

The Negro had horrible skills. He had the upper-hand on the Jew throughout the entire first round and instead of using skill, he tried to simply beat him with brute force. Something he didn't have enough of. I knew the guy was going down, he ran his mouth far too much indicating a lack of substance to do his talking for him. The middle weights in this show appear very weak to me. We now have two in the semi's who I don't think much of in the Jew and the Hawaiian.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
knew the guy was going down, he ran his mouth far too much indicating a lack of substance to do his talking for him.

I thought the other way, that Singer was too weak mentally to hang tough if Solomon landed some big shots. The show set it up to look like Singer was doubting himself, and he isn't brash or a trash talker. He just seemed soft.

Solomon, on the other hand, as soon as he learned he was going to fight he turned into a different person. He started doing the dance, hopping around, calling out everyone, even tried to pick a fight with the British guy. He seemed really nervous to me.

JD074

Master
Very satisfying. There's nothing better than seeing a loud-mouth, obnoxious athlete getting his mouth shut. And what about that kick, it was actually the knee that landed, not the foot. Ortiz told him to kick and he did it and it worked. Sweet.

And I liked how the British guy didn't back down.

Also, I want to see the redhead fight. He runs his mouth too much; I want to see him back it up or go home. Of course, Ortiz is deliberately tormenting him by not picking him.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Shamrock is getting owned by Ortiz. I didn't believe Shamrock for a second that he was picking a fight with Ortiz to 'motivate' his team. He can't stand the fact that Ortiz is a better coach, better motivator, and at his age, a better fighter, too. The guys who were selected by Shamrock are getting the short end of the training stick, whether we want to like it or not.

I also noticed that Shamrock was not the one providing instructions to Solomon when he had Singer on his back. Someone else in his corner was advising Solomon to avoid the triangles and arm bars. Shamrock sat there with his mouth shut watching the fight, while Ortiz can be distinctly heard advising his fighter on his next move.

Not to mention that Ortiz guided his fighter between rounds to the technique he needed for the KO.

In case I haven't said it plainly enough, Shamrock's performance as a coach has been very disappointing. I like Ortiz' approach to training, I like (at least what they're showing, that is) his motivation and his attitude.

Nor do I particular mind Ortiz messing with the redhead. The guy was constantly complaining even after the first couple of fights that Ortiz did not select him for his team. Geez, are we in first grade again or what?
smiley19.gif

KG2422

Mentor
Maybe Shamrock has been hit in the head too many times. He doesn't seem too sharp.

Solomon had his beating coming. Anyone remember when he told the Hawaiian dude of that one guys weaknesses before the fight? He also had poor leg skills, and that alone will seal your fate in this sport. Blacks just don't get it do they? You can't box your way through everything. The world of MMA displays that in nearly every fight that involves a brotha.

They love to go for that one, big punch and knock their opponent out, like a boxer would. This sport, in most cases, does not work that way. Strategy is key, thought is key, technique is key. Many qualities that they do not possess. The white success-rate in MMA is through the roof compared to the black success-rate.

White_Savage

Mentor
Come on people, a fight in every episode, that's what gets the viewers into it.

I lay odds they are bringing Solomon back, which is just as well, I don't mind seeing him get a second beating.

JD074

Master
Noah is such a wuss. He's been blessed with this once in a lifetime opportunity, and he cut and runs because his girlfriend of six months is upset about some f*cking rumor? Gimme a break.

Logically, they should bring back the guy who Noah beat, since Noah was kicked off the show. But of course it wouldn't surprise me if they bring the black guy back. It wouldn't make sense, but not much does these days.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Especially the way the black guy lost. He got KTFO bad, he didn't even know he lost and had to be told what happened to him!

But they're different weight classes, and I think they'll bring back one of the light heavies. So it would have to be the guy from Louisiana or that idiot knucklehead wrestler who lost in one of the first fights, the guy who popped the basketball.

dkr77

Guru
I agree about Shamrock not being a very good coach. He has no assistant grappling or striking trainers and I believe that to be a huge mistake on his part. However, regarding the arguing and bickering between Shamrock and Ortiz, I have read where both Ken and Tito get a cut of the pay-per-view earnings of their UFC fight and so it would make good sense for them to build it up as much as possible. I have also heard Shamrock was broke and knows he probably has only a few good fights left in him. Add that information to the fact that Shamrock was involved with pro-wrestling for quite some time and it kind of makes sense that these two might be "mugging" for the camera so to speak.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I know it makes sense that its all for show, considering the money and Ken's WWE experience, but why is it so hard to believe that these two guys don't like each other?

It may be that bygones are bygones, but Tito was a rude, crude SOB when he was winning, and spewed a lot of insults at Ken and his Lion's Den fighters. Its not unbelievable to me that these two do not like each other, given their history and Ken's psychotic personality. If you ever get a chance, read Ken's biography. The guy was a nutcase and was basically saved from prison by mixed martial arts. He strikes me as the kind of guy who is big on 'respect', and would never forget being 'dissed.'

I think the two have genuine animosity for each other, more so Ken towards Ortiz than the reverse, and that probably because of the way Ortiz dismantled the Lion's Den and beat Ken to a pulp. Thats a lot for a guy like Shamrock to have to swallow.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
SteveB said:
12408504170.gif

Solomon, do you see the birdies?

I don't know why but I can just watch this over and over and over.....
smiley2.gif

It is satisfying isn't it. You should send this little clip of Solomon getting trounced to www.blackathlete.com and see what they think about it.I can hear the racist, anti-White comments and profanity from them already. Lol.

JD074

Master
I have a couple of questions about this week's fight. One, how did two judges have Tait losing the second round? Two, who told the ref that there was going to be a third round before the scores were tallied? Dana White? That was a little weird.

Also, I missed the first half of the show. Who was brought back?

Jesse was brought back, which I didn't have issue with, and was given a pass to the semifinals, which I thought was wrong. Why not bring back Christian and Jesse and have them fight it out instead of packaging a show without a fight at all last week.

The scoring of the fight last week was a little strange. My only thought is that smurf landed the more powerfull shots and the judges didn't put much worth into Tait's ground skills. Tait's punches seemed really weak.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I would have preferred a third round for this fight, too, as it could have easily been a draw. But I don't have a problem with Josh winning the fight, either. He landed the harder shots, and was able to easily defeat Tait's submissions, although that triangle at the buzzer of the first round might have won it were there another 10 seconds to go.

I don't think it matters anyway, because neither of those guys seemed as good as the any of the guy's who've already fought.

I definitely disagree with Jesse getting a pass to the semi-finals. You benefit from fighting early in the show because there is greater chance of coming back, the more fights that are left. What do you say to the next fighter who loses and is off the show? Or the others who've already left? Bogus.