Total white starters this year probably about the same as last

referendum

Mentor
Found a starter gain due to injury. Logan Paulsen is the new starting tight end at Washington due to Fred Davis injury. Also, Reed Doughty has been starting at safety due to an afflete being injured, but he may be back soon. Finally, it looks like Jeff Byers may end up starting for the Panthers at guard, so there would be no net loss of a starter at Carolina due to Kalil going down for the year. So, it looks like we are only down about three or four total white starters since the start of the year, most due to injury.

dwid

Hall of Famer
looks like we might lose Shanle at OLB with Vilma coming back, so it seems the Saints want to put 3 middle linebackers on the field. Shanle is still starting but being rotated out more, for a brief time we had Shanle and Will Herring on the field quite a bit, but Herring missed one tackle that led to a td and I think thats the end of any significant playing time for him, even though I have seen Lofton miss a ton of tackles.

referendum

Mentor
Looks like we have a few gains due to promotion. In Atlanta I believe we have two gains, at fullback Mike Cox is back, and with Edwards being cut, I believe Bierman takes over as starter at DE. In Houston Ben Jones was starter on Sunday night, and Nate Potter is supposed to start this Sunday for the Cards.
As Dwid pointed out, Shanle may no longer be starting for New Orleans, and Herremans is lost for the season at Philly (though we may have a starter gain at QB there), and Angerer seems to be in injury limbo at Indy. One good thing about the overall situation is that most of the white losses this year have been from injury, not demotion, and all of this shows how important it is to have white guys ready to go as backups.

referendum

Mentor
Just did a rapid count of the league, and we are still around 191 white starters. The last few weeks have seen an upsurge in white starting safeties, with Giordano in Oakland, Lynch in SD, Doughty in Washington and Dahl in St Louis all taking over due to injuries or promotions. St Louis also gained another white starter when Wells came back at center and Turner went over to guard and kicked out a sumo.
Some disappointments are the Stewart Bradley situation in Arizona, Angerer in Indy (I'm no longer counting him as starter at Indy), and Jordan Cameron not starting at Cleveland, though he gets plenty of snaps I believe. Of course the Alex Smith situation is unfortunate as well.

Truthteller

Mentor
Thanks for the update Ref. Nice work, as usual. I thought, however, Dahl had been starting since day one this season?

http://www.nfl.com/player/craigdahl/2495585/profile

Also got factor in Atlanta has added two white starters in recent weeks: Mike Cox at FB and Kroy Bierman has been promoted to full time starter (I think), since they cut Ray Edwards?

referendum

Mentor
Yeah, Atlanta has helped to counterbalance losses in Philly (Babin and Landry) and New Orleans (Shanle) and San Francisco (Smith). And Cox in Atlanta actually seems to be on the field a fair amount of time, but of course never or rarely will touch the ball. Dahl wasn't listed as starter at first this year, (forget who he was battling for the job) but he's been playing as one for most of the year, kind of forgot about him, and the other white safeties who are playing like Doughy and Giordano. Good to see white men getting the jobs at this position.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
A situation to watch is Houston's defense, where their first draft pick this year Whitney Mercilus had 2 sacks and a fumble recovery yesterday in place of the injured Brooks Reed. Reed may end up being Mercilus' backup if Mercilus keeps producing like that.

It was disappointing to see Colin McCarthy's injury-marred season continue. He missed yesterday's game with a concussion after being unable to fully shake a high ankle sprain suffered in week one. He's not in danger of losing his starting position yet, but he's beginning to remind me of another very talented White LB out of Miami who couldn't stay healthy, Dan Morgan.

Fortunately there are more starting White LBs in the league than there used to be and there are still a number having good seasons, but it's been a lost season for McCarthy, Pat Angerer, Sean Lee, and Brian Cushing. I'm not sure what the deal is with Angerer, he's playing but has gone from being on the field every play the last two seasons to playing very little this season.

referendum

Mentor
Yeah, injuries have been bad for our top level linebackers. One bright spot in all this is that when a white linebacker goes down, often there is a white backup waiting in the wings, as Shaw backed up McCarthy last week, Conner for Lee, and Ruud even started last week in Cushings place, though he's not the permanent replacement. Of course one wonders just how many of these white backups should be starters in the first place.

referendum

Mentor
Stewart in Tennessee, Long in Miami, and Kelsay in Buffalo are out for the year, but end effect is whites will replace them in Tennesse and Miami, and the starter loss in Buffalo is offset in Seattle where sumo Carpenter is done for the year and replaced by a white player.