Total white starters this year probably about the same as last

referendum

Mentor
I couldn't stop myself from jumping the gun, and have done a provisional head count of likely white starters this year. In 2010 we had about 180 white starters and in 2011 we had a nice gain to the low 190's, and I was wondering if whites could retain that gain this year. Based on my quick count, I'm projecting somewhere around the same for 2012, about 192, though this number will bounce around a little before we get to week one. Still unclear is whether Bradley in Arizona and Kuechly in Carolina will integrate their teams defenses as starters if Flynn is out in Seattle, will Cameron unseat Watson in Cleveland and various other situations. I'm no longer even counting Collie and Hartline as starters due to injury concerns and am trying not to get too high of a figure. But I feel confident we'll end up pretty close to last years numbers.

I'll have a complete team by team number list, like I did last year, in the days before week one.

I also wanted to get this info out before the annual purge of white players begins. It will be gruesome no doubt, but at least we know that the starter front isn't getting worse.

referendum

Mentor
Here is how things look as of now, a week before Week one. Looks like we have about 191 white starters, 97 in the AFC 94 in the NFC, about the same as last year with 43 on defense, again about the same as last year. One nice thing about this is just two years ago we were at around 180 starters, then jumped up last year, and are now holding strong at this level. Continued white strenght at offensive line, QB and tight end is what is determining this figure. As I've said before a white breakthrough on defense is what we need to go back to 1980's levels of white starters.

AFC East

Buffalo 6, 1
Miami, 4,0
New England, 8,2
NYJ 3,1

AFC North

Balt 3,1 not counting Pitta as starter though he's almost co-starter
Cincy, 5,0
Cleveland 5,1 (counting Fujita as starter though he'll be suspended to start the year)
Pitt 2,1

AFC South
Houston 5,5
Indy 6,2 counting Collie as starter, though we'll see how this develops
Jack 3,2
Tenn 5,1 this counts Stevens as starting tight end, as all sites have him listed as starter though I wonder if black backup Cook is more de facto starter

AFC West
Denver 7,2 counting Kuper as starter though he will be out a few weeks
KC Chiefs, 4,0 not counting Hillis as starter though he will see lots of action hopefully
Oakland, 6,1
SD 3,2

NFC East

Dallas 4,2 counting Conner as starter at linebacker though he's facing stiff competition.
NY Giants, 6,1 counting Pascoe as starter at tight end hopefully that lasts
Phil, 5,2
Wash 3,2 last year Carriker at D-line was facing a position battle but black rookie challenger went on IR, this year no word about that.

NFC North

Chicago 2,2 not counting McClellin as starter on D-line.
Det 4,1
GB 7,2
Minn 5,4

NFC South

Atl 5,0 Mike Cox lost starting fullback spot to a black, this spot was an all-white position fight coming into camp, but Ewing got injured.
Carolina, 4,1
New Orleans, 4,1
TB 4,0

NFC West

Arizona 6,0 still hoping Bradley takes over at linebacker but not counting him
St Louis 5,2 not counting Dahl at safety though he was said to be in a position fight.
SF 4,1
Seattle 5,0

Last edited:

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Thanks guys - still hoping the Pats can defy the system and start 12 whities.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Who are you counting as the second White starter on San Diego's defense in addition to Weddle? Who is the White starter on Cleveland's defense?

There are so many depth charts, some more accurate than others. Which one or ones are you going by?

referendum

Mentor
Don, counting Jarred Johnson linebacker as the Chargers second white defensive starter , and Fujita as white starter on Cleveland. Fujita has been taken off of some charts but only, I believe, due to his suspension. I believe he is expected to start again once he's back. The charts I use are yahoo and our lads. Both of them seem pretty good. Also, if there is some uncertainty, I try to find articles etc about a certain player to figure out if they are actually going to start.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Totally forgot about Johnson on the Black Chargers.

Yahoo is good, I like CBS Sports also. Both sites promote fantasy football heavily so they need to have accurate depth charts. NFL.com and official NFL team sites are often the least accurate as counterintuitive as that seems.

Both Minnesota and Denver will have 9 whites? Very surprising, but a nice addition nonetheless, sounds like more than they started last year!

referendum

Mentor
Minnesota is one team that I've watched over the last couple of years slowly getting whiter. Trading for Allen, drafting Rudolph, Greenway, Ponder, Smith, Kalil and Gerhart. Through in finally allowing Robison to start, a gradual white reemergence on the O-line, and we have team that I for one will be rooting for.

referendum

Mentor
Hate to start of the season updates with a loss, but it looks like Cook at center for the Bengals is out for the year and will be replaced by ethnic mystery man Jeff Faine (has a Pacific islander sounding middle name and looks like some type of mixture that I can't figure out.) This is irritating in that Faine had actually been cut by the Buccaners and he was just signed by the Bengals last week. The Bengals do have Trevor Robinson who is listed as a guard but I think can play center, so hopefully he might get a crack at the job at some point.

Truthteller

Mentor
NFC North

Chicago 2,2 not counting McClellin as starter on D-line.

So many here are focusing on the Pittsburgh Crawfords and the Tampa Bay Yucs as the most vile teams, but Chicago is also pretty bad...no, actually very bad. Only thing keeping them somewhat watchable (compared to the Crawfords and Yucs) is their 2 white safeties and the rookie DE from Boise.

Team employs 10 offensive lineman (practice squad included), yet the only "white" in that group is Gabe Carimi. Considering Carimi is Jewish, I doubt Lovie will go out of his way to screw him over like he did with so many other white high picks, knowing the media backlash against him would be palpable and constant for cleansing a Lonsman. So based on that, he should start for many years for the Bears, but he has been injury prone and Hatie does have first round bust Chris Williams ready to play, if Carimi goes down again.

On their entire roster, the Bears currently have 13 "whites"...but that includes 2 punters, a kicker a longsnapper and Blake Constanzo who is nothing more than a designated special teams mascot.

I hope Cutler, Sanzenbacher, McCellin and the white safeties do well, but after that there is very little to root for and here's hoping this team has a miserable season.

**I noted a few years ago I stopped rooting for Urlacher when it was revealed the "devoted husband and father of two girls" had a black son...If his career ended tomorrow, I could careless about this stupid wigger. Matter of fact I hope it does happen (he goes down for good). No one plays forever anyway, so....

referendum

Mentor
Truthteller, yes the Bears are a team I enjoy rooting against. One nice thing is that they play the Packers and Vikings twice each of course so this year we will have some nice head to head matchups.

Truthteller

Mentor
Truthteller, yes the Bears are a team I enjoy rooting against. One nice thing is that they play the Packers and Vikings twice each of course so this year we will have some nice head to head matchups.

Ref, was checking out the depth charts and practice squads over at Ourlads.com. They've added photos of the players this year (click on bios), so it's easier to count when you don't know most of the athletes:

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/

I just took a quick glance for about 15 minutes, just now at other teams (besides Chicago) and it seems the Bears are not alone...a whole bunch (the majority?) of NFL teams are down to between 11 and 15 (or less).

Heck, even the recently "white friendly" Rams have just 15 whites? Like the post-Dan Reeves Falcons (that had 5 or 6 whites starting on D) about 10 years ago, only two white starters remain on defense for the Lams (sic)....Back in the post-Reeves era, only stars Kearney & Brooking survived the purge...with the Rams, only stars Long and James Lauriniatis (sp?) have survived Fisher's purge.

That said, (sadly) the Rams are way ahead of the other coal black NFC West squads..

On the positive side, is the Broncos....At the end of last season, they had no white's playing much on defense and only Decker and Tebow on offense...and Tebow never threw to Decker..This year things are looking up a bit -- I will be rooting hard for them @ Pittsburgh...In the playoffs last season, I really didn't even watch the Broncos/Steelers, because both teams were too similar.

Also, Carolina just missed having 20 whites...fell just one short, because they have a mulatto place kicker....Also, seems teams are loading up with black backup O-Lineman, which was not happening nearly as much just 15 years ago?

referendum

Mentor
Actually Truthteller I think the O lineman backup situation is getting better than the last few years. Consider teams like the Bengals, Jets, Vikings, Cardinals, Packers, Eagles, Bills, Titans, Colts, Falcons etc, all of them have more than one white backup O-lineman, often waiting in the wings to take over starting positions, like happened in Philly last year. Many of these teams, like the Vikings (with all white backups) or the Cardinals ( 3 of 4 white backups) used to be majority black for starters and backups just recently.
Concerning Defense, the situation is grim, but I don't think any grimmer than its been of late.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Hate to start of the season updates with a loss, but it looks like Cook at center for the Bengals is out for the year and will be replaced by ethnic mystery man Jeff Faine (has a Pacific islander sounding middle name and looks like some type of mixture that I can't figure out.) This is irritating in that Faine had actually been cut by the Buccaners and he was just signed by the Bengals last week. The Bengals do have Trevor Robinson who is listed as a guard but I think can play center, so hopefully he might get a crack at the job at some point.
I think Faine is some sort of Melungeon. He has a Black mother who was at his draft ceremony and he obviously has significant White ancestry but he does sport Native tatoos too. Anyway he isn't White.

Truthteller

Mentor
Actually Truthteller I think the O lineman backup situation is getting better than the last few years. Consider teams like the Bengals, Jets, Vikings, Cardinals, Packers, Eagles, Bills, Titans, Colts, Falcons etc, all of them have more than one white backup O-lineman, often waiting in the wings to take over starting positions, like happened in Philly last year. Many of these teams, like the Vikings (with all white backups) or the Cardinals ( 3 of 4 white backups) used to be majority black for starters and backups just recently.

You might be right and thank you for all the research and work you are putting in for the site, looking up all these numbers. It's much appreciated.

One thing to remember, while some teams like Vikings and Eagles get whiter up front, other teams continue to get darker...Texans (4/5 starters are summos)...the Dolphins and Cowboys had 4 white starters very recently, now they are mostly back, again. I think the same can be said with the backups, as several teams have only black backup OL's. My premise was things have gotten noticeably worse than they were in the 90's. I think the summo situation has not changed in the last decade. They are way overrepresented at the position.

seattlefan

Guru
Houston won't be able to run the ball like last year with their new obese O-line. They are going down the same path as Green Bay, blackening their team when whitening was what brought the wins.

referendum

Mentor
Some more developments. All the depth charts have Matthew Mulligan starting at tight end for the Rams, but I haven't found any articles where its mentioned. I want to see how this develops. A negative development is with the Giants and Bear Pascoe. I'm wondering if Bennett will be the de facto starter at tight end soon, based on last night's game. Finally, a black expected starter at guard for Miami went down for the year, its unclear who will replace him.

bigunreal

Mentor
It really is astonishing- these numbers never deviate by very much, year after year. There are noticeably more white WRs playing now, but still very few. At the same time, whites are being replaced at an even greater rate by sumos on the offensive line. So the net gains in one place are offset by losses in another.

The Packers win a Super Bowl and strive, very obviously, to weed out a bunch of white players in favor of blacks. What organization supposedly devoted to winning breaks up a group that has just won the biggest prize? The Patriots had a chance to tip the scales and have perhaps a half-white roster this season. But, magically, they appear to be down to the most acceptable number- 22 or so. This is NOT coincidence.

The success of Wes Welker has, to a small degree, resulted in a few more white "clones" permitted to play the slot for NFL teams. Hillis will need to duplicate his 2010 success before we see a few "clones" permitted to run the ball for other teams.

It will be interesting to watch RGIII, and Newton's second season. Conversely, will the Titans permit Locker to be the kind of athletic QB he obviously is? Will Tebow play?

referendum

Mentor
Small update, looks like Kuechly at Carolina and Smith with Vikings are now listed as starters. I believe one reason Dan Conner didn't start on Wednesday was because of a minor injury.
Bigunreal, I agree with most of your post, however, one thing that I think we are seeing is actually white solidification at the O-line battlefront. This is the main reason for the slight increase in starters (about 10 to 12) from two or three years ago, and as I mentioned earlier the O-line backup situation is actually pretty good as well, outside of disaster zones like Pittsburg, Chicago and Baltimore.

referendum

Mentor
A couple of AFC North updates. Bengals black starting linebacker Howard is out for the year and Skuta is a favorite to replace him. Also, Cleveland's tight end Watson is questionable for week two and didn't do much in week one. If Jordan Cameron can get something going I could see him taking over soon.

referendum

Mentor
Looks like we've lost a starter as Adam Carriker for Washington is out for a while or maybe the whole season. Also, Kelce might be done for Philly but his replacement at center should be another white, Reynolds.

referendum

Mentor
Looks like we've taken three losses recently, offset by one gain. Losses are Giants, where Pascoe is now backup tight end, Bucs O-line where Trueblood has been benched, and Washington where Carriker is out for the year. The gain is in Baltimore where Dennis Pitta is now officially the number one tight end, though he and Dickson are both on the field a lot.

referendum

Mentor
Some more bad news on the white starter front. Looks like we've lost a net of about five more starters over the last weeks. Good news is all except one are due to injury or a black starter returning, only one due to demotion. Losses to injury, Cushing in Houston, Fujita in Cleveland, Kalil in Carolina (replaced by Hangartner, but his replacement at guard is black), Collie in Indy, Boss at KC. Not sure what to make of Diehl's situation at New York as he's ready to play again I believe but not in lineup yet. Also, Moffit is no longer starting due to sumo Carpenter back healthy in Seattle. Either Larsen or Trueblood has been demoted at TB (a little unclear, first I read that Trueblood was out, then that he's replacing Larsen).
Gains are Hartline at Miami, several games ago of course, and recently Brooking at Denver promoted to starter, hopefully permanently, and Kelsay at Buffalo starting again due to an injury.

referendum

Mentor
Lee is done for the year for the Cowboys, but Conner will take his spot, and John Greco is now starting at Guard for Pinkston in Cleveland. Pinkston is done for the year. The Browns offense is getting whiter, with Greco starting, Copper getting reps, and Cameron on the verge of taking over for Watson.