Top 10 Power Runners All Time

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
My Dad loved Larry Csonka. Next to Butkus & Johnny U, Csonka was his favorite. Riggins was a stud & Nagurski was an old-school hard@$$. I had season tix for the Falcons when Bob Christian played FB. Even those I wasn't totally aware of the caste system back then, I always pulled for Bob to get reps.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Dixie, I always rooted for Bob Christian, too. Here's CF archived comments on him:

BOB CHRISTIAN

(3/13/02) Christian suffered a severe concussion near the end of the regular season and recently announced he is retiring after a 12-year career. Christian was a great blocker but had excellent running skills that were of course never utilized because of his race. When given limited chances to run the ball because of injuries to Falcons RBs, Christian routinely had a better yards per run average than any of the team's black tailbacks; in fact, in 2001, when he had a career high of 44 carries, Christian had the highest rushing per carry average in the NFL, but didn't have enough carries to qualify.

(8/23/02) As anyone who watched the Falcons last year witnessed, Bob Christian knows how to run the ball. With no one blocking for him, as he has done so well for others for so long, Christian had career highs in '01 for carries (44) and yards (284), along with a very high yards per attempt of 6.5.

Unfortunately Christian is now almost 34 years old and in his 12th season in the NFL. To be able to run that effectively after 10 years of blocking linebackers and linemen is testimony to Christian's conditioning and ability.

But Christian could always run, he just wasn't allowed to in the NFL. He left Northwestern as the university's all-time leading rusher with 2,643, including a single-season record of 1,291 yards his junior year.

In the NFL he has been a fine blocking fullback who gets the occasional catch or run. He has played with Chicago, Carolina (where, in 1995, he led all white runners with the paltry total of 158), and with the Falcons since 1997.

Ever since Jamal Anderson went down with his first torn ACL early in the 1999 season, the Falcons tried a slew of different running backs to replace him. None came close. Their best runner has been Bob Christian, but head coach Dan Reeves, an "overachieving"Â￾ tailback for Dallas in the ‘60s, would probably suit up and come out of retirement to play the position himself before he would let Christian have the featured running back role.

With Warrick Dunn and '02 first round pick T. J. Duckett it's all academic anyway as Atlanta has invested much money in strengthening the tailback position. But to see how ably Bob Christian could step in, even near the end of his career, and be very effective running ball when given the opportunity, indicates that there are plenty of other white runners more than capable of doing the same.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Personally, I love watching highlights of Riggins the most. He was the last white man to really dominate at tailback other than Craig James' one 1,000+ yard season in 86'. I can't stand the Skins, but when Riggins dominated the '83 Superbowl I was a toddler and didn't have my disdain for the Redskins or even watch football yet. Riggo's highlight footage is also new enough that the quality isn't too bad.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Don, thanks for the CF history on Bob C. My good friends sister was actually dating him for a while. She said he was a class-act. For those CF'ers who aren't familiar with Bob, here's a little more insight...

(Via Wikipedia)

"Christian played with Chicago Bears and Carolina Panthers prior to signing with Atlanta in 1997 and had 831 yards and 12 touchdowns on 193 carries in 135 games, including 85 starts. He had 230 receptions for 2,048 yards and seven touchdowns. Christian retired on March 13, 2003, after 11 seasons in the NFL and over 45 concussions. He now is a speed and agility trainer for young Athletes."

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Wow 45 concussions im guessing there were many more un-reported

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is one of the best Riggo films ever! You can see the power, the speed and the moves he had. He was very light on his feet similar to a dancer. Great balance, and coordination to go with incredible speed. He ran track and did quite well. Most of you probably know he was one of the Kansas Jayhawks greatest players ever. He took it to another level in the nfl. The guy was what Peyton Hillis could be if he ever got to start. Very rare to find guys this big that are this fast! Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC7td68Ira8Edited by: white lightning

white is right

Hall of Famer
I think the reason for Riggins having the dexterity to move like that is because he was a natural 220 to 230 pounder. No excessive weight training to build his body up and making him less flexible. Many modern fullbacks lack this agility because they are carrying an extra 20 to 30 pounds of muscle.

Alpha Male

Mentor
Hey Dixie, any chance your good friend's sister could get you in touch with him. Man, I'd love to know his perspective on why he wasn't allowed to run.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Alpha Male said:
Hey Dixie,  any chance your good friend's sister could get you in touch with him.  Man, I'd love to know his perspective on why he wasn't allowed to run. 

LOL. I think that was 10+ years ago partner. I'm sure he didn't get more touches due to sharing time/reps with the "afflete" RBs (typical caste scenarios).