Top 10 Power Runners All Time

On Friday Nov 28, the NFL Network is running one of its Top 10 series at 2pm ET. This one is the 10 best power runners of all time. I haven't seen it yet, but on the internet I saw this list the program is supposed to have.

1. Jim Brown
2. John Riggins
3. Earl Campbell
4. Larry Csonka
5. Jim Taylor
6. Jerome Bettis
7. Marion Motley
8. Bronko Nagurski
9. Christian Okoye
10. Mike Alstott

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Wow! Leave it to the Caste media to only give us 5 out of the top 10, and of course, we can never be number one. It makes me sick!

puke.gif
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

backrow

Hall of Famer
i like Rig ahead of the Goat! and my man Mike made the list as well
smiley1.gif

Colonel_Reb said:
Wow! Leave it to the Caste media to only give us 5 out of the top 10, and of course, we can never be number one. It makes me sick!

puke.gif

Having 3 of the first 5 white is probably too many for the DWF's.

Ibanez

I bet that when they revise that list, 5 years from now Lendale White will be in the top 10.

He is a good power back for sure, but you know that there are dozens of similar white players who could be better than Lendale but are unfortunately playing fullback.

Once a white player gets pigeon holed to playing fullback, it is a point of no return for two reasons:

1. Weight gain necessary for the position. With that weight gain goes explosiveness/speed/agility
2. You get beat the hell up playing fullback. What a tough position.

As a pathetic Lions fan (ugh) I was always a fan of Cory Schlessinger (sp?). You KNOW that way back in the day he could have made a tremendous power back if he started as one. I feel that in my bones. BUT after a few years as a fullback, there was no way he was going to do any significant running due to the weight gain and the damaging nature of the position.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent post, Ibanez. Peyton Hillis is getting some respect because he is playing very well, but it's always tempered by comments such as he lacks speed and lateral movement.That's becausehe's been beefed up well beyond what should be his playing weight because he was typecastinto the role of fullback. Let him play tailback at 230 or 235 and the DWF would see just how well whites can play power back.

Dan Reeves (who was one of the relatively fairer NFL coaches when it came to playing whites) gave Bob Christian some carries in 2001 when he was coaching the Falcons and they had 9 or 10 whites starting for a couple of seasons. Christian had 44 carries for 284 yards in '01, or 6.5 yards per rush! And this was late in Christian's career (he had been the featured tailback at Northwestern). He also had 45 receptions for 392 yards that season. He's just one of dozens of white "fullbacks" who could have been featured runners in the NFL since the Caste System was implemented.Edited by: Don Wassall

Ibanez

I feel that there IS some small progress being made, but it is clearly not enough. I love the fact that you, Don Wassall and other posters display actual game statistics with the comments.

You can't hide behind the cold hard earned statistics in football!

Unfortunately my pessimistic mood today tells me that it will take another generation or TWO (!) before white players get an equal shot at playing every position.

I saw the program today for the first time. They showed the Mike Alstott highlights and called him the "A-Train." The question is why Alstott was never the main ball carrier. He could have had some 1400-1600 yard seasons.

The late draft analyst Joel Buschbaum thought this would happen. As I have previously written, Buschbaum thought Alstott would be used the way the Redskins did John Riggins.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's mind boggling when you think about it -- one of the acknowledged best power runners of all time was never the featured runner on his ownteam during his career, instead having to spend much of it at a less suitable position where he had to block for those who were playing his natural position.Yet most football fans buy the propaganda line that there are no white runners because none are as good as the worst black starters and backups.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
We have seen some progress at WR (about 20-25% of Division IA WRs are white now and we had 3 white 1,000 yard NFL WRs last year, 2 WRs and a TE, with likely the same amount or more this year!).

The next step is at RB. I feel it's bound to happen eventually with the new awareness of fans seeing how well white WRs are doing and they will start to beg the question about white RBs.

If guys like Gerhart and Sharp aren't invited to the NFL combine when they declare it could cause a stir. Sharp is going to run a sub 4.5 40 at the combine no doubt and Gerhart will probably run in the low 4.5s which is good at his weight and height. We have to keep our heads up a little bit because I feel slow changes happening. The information age is waking some people up!

What will the pundits be able to say when our men top 1,000 yard seasons with 5+ YPC in tough BCS conferences and then run sub 4.5 40s? How will they be able to say they aren't legit NFL RBs.

BTW: Alstott would have had better career numbers than Jerome Bettis no doubt in the same situation.
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Andrew Lynch

To an earlier post, Lendale White didn't even get 4 yards per carry last season. His numbers are slightly better this year, but I wouldn't say he'll be remembered as one the best power runners. Unless I'm mistaken, his rap sheet has more accomplishments on it than his NFL career.

Brandon Jacobs is statistically better than White, and at 265 pounds, he's pretty huge. Than again, White doesn't have the luxury of running behind a white fullback.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah Jacobs should really be white with the way he plays, the problem is that if he was, he'd be a fullback...

Don Wassall said:
Excellent post, Ibanez.  Peyton Hillis is getting some respect because he is playing very well, but it's always tempered by comments such as he lacks speed and lateral movement.  That's because he's been beefed up well beyond what should be his playing weight because he was typecast into the role of fullback.  Let him play tailback at 230 or 235 and the DWF would see just how well whites can play power back. 

As a "Sport Historian," my opinion is that a good power back is more valuable than an "elusive" runner. The power back will pick up the first downs and keep the chains moving. He catches passes thrown to him and doesn't fumble too much. He can also block to protect the passer. You will note that several players on the NFL Network's Top 10 list fit these requirements exactly.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
I really dislike it though when a successful white skills player starts parroting all the PC crud that everyone else in the media says once they retire from the game and unwittingly (or is it knowingly?) undermines the efforts of all the young white athletes who want nothing more than an equal look.

white is right

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
We have seen some progress at WR (about 20-25% of Division IA WRs are white now and we had 3 white 1,000 yard NFL WRs last year, 2 WRs and a TE, with likely the same amount or more this year!).

The next step is at RB. I feel it's bound to happen eventually with the new awareness of fans seeing how well white WRs are doing and they will start to beg the question about white RBs.

If guys like Gerhart and Sharp aren't invited to the NFL combine when they declare it could cause a stir. Sharp is going to run a sub 4.5 40 at the combine no doubt and Gerhart will probably run in the low 4.5s which is good at his weight and height. We have to keep our heads up a little bit because I feel slow changes happening. The information age is waking some people up!

What will the pundits be able to say when our men top 1,000 yard seasons with 5+ YPC in tough BCS conferences and then run sub 4.5 40s? How will they be able to say they aren't legit NFL RBs.

BTW: Alstott would have had better career numbers than Jerome Bettis no doubt in the same situation.
Gerhart will get invited, he will be a first day pick barring injuries. Sharp will be more of a bubble boy because of his size. If he were black he would get combines invite though. Edited by: white is right

Ibanez

I think Lendale White will certainly be thought of by the experts as a top 10 power back 5 years from now-- whether this is based on deserved results or not.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I believe Brandon Jacobs arguably should be when he hangs up his cleats, but Lendale White; I hope not! Lendale=whale blubber gut.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
ToughJ.Riggins said:

Gerhart will get invited, he will be a first day pick barring injuries. Sharp will be more of a bubble boy because of his size. If he were black he would get combines invite though.

Well Sharp would be a bubble boy if he doesn't come back for next year. He is just over 200 yards shy of 1,000 yards with only a Bowl game left and he also is down to 4.7 YPC now. That would be enough for the NFL to snub him an invite like they want to even though he would be more deserving than probably at least 10 RBs or so invited. Sharp has to return next year and have a monster year!

I am wondering if Gerhart should return as well b/c the draft class should be weaker next year and it would show two healthy seasons in a row for him. What do you guys think?

Jim Taylor had 26 100-yard games, plus 1 post-season (the 1960 NFL Title Game). There weren't the large number of playoff games in that era. Taylor gained 85 tough yards against the NY Giants in the 1962 NFL Title Game. He outgained Jim Brown 96-50 in the 1965 NFL Title Game.

Larry Csonka had 16 100-yard games, plus 4 post-season.

John Riggins had 29 100-yard games, plus 6 post-season.

The above information is from pro-football reference, the Neft Pro Football Encyclopedia, and the Pro Football Chronicle.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Mike Alstott had 7 career 100 yard games and 1 post season.

Freedom

Mentor
With all the restrictions on defense backs now, teams are really encouraged to pass all the time. This kills power running in the NFL. We may not see a consistent power runner get a lot of carries for a long time, white or black. Great white power runners just rot the bench in the NFL.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Im watching it re-air right now. Im sure it will come to a shock to many young people growing up in this age that 5\10 were white! It makes me proud to see Mike Alstott, Bronko Nagurski, Jim Taylor, Larry Csonka, and John Riggins run, am i racist for that?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
LOL!! No you are not racist. Nagurski and taylor played before the caste system was put in place. Riggins and Csonka played when it was in place but whites still weren't completely restricted from certain positions. Alstott played while the system was in full force and should have received most of the carries. Instead he had to split carries with Dunn.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
WA33 lol sarcasm sir
smiley2.gif