Top 10 Backfield Tandems

This is one of the NFL Network's Top 10's which I had not seen until recently. The list of the Top 10 backfield tandems is:

1. Taylor and Hornung, 1960's Packers
2. Brown and Mitchell, 1958-61 Browns
3. MacElhenny, Perry, Tittle, Johnson, mid-1950's 49ers
4. Harris and Bleier, 1970's Steelers
5. Moore and Ameche, late 1950's Colts
6. Lincoln and Lowe, 1960's Chargers
7. Csonka and Morris (also Kiick), early 1970's Dolphins
8. Craig and Rathman, 1980's 49ers
9. Boozer and Snell, 1960's Jets
10. Byner and Mack, 1980's Browns

The program pointed out that in today's game only one back gets a lot of carries, rather than sharing the load betgween two backs as in the past. Taylor and Hornung were ranked first because they won several championships. Brown and Mitchell ranked second behind Taylor and Hornung because the Browns didn't win a title in the four years they played together.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I'm surprised Dunn and Alstott aren't on the list. Total yardage wise they beat most of the tandems on the list. Together they rushed for about 11k yards. Also Dorsett and Newhouse were a good tandem too.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
The Falcons' Jamal Anderson (RB) & Bob Christian (FB) were a good tandem as well.

Borussia

Guru
Not many tandems in the modern era say after 1970.

Many on the list are house hold names: Taylor, Hornung, Czonka, Kiick, Morris, Craig, Rathman, Harris, Blier..
Although clearly a few reaches: Lincoln and Lowe? Who the hell are they?
Boozer and Snell? not bad, but nowhere near elite for all time. Jets were good for maybe 3 years in the late 60s.

Going to have to agree with you whiteisright. Dorsett and Newhouse were pretty damn good.
Alstott and Dunn too. Although Dunn came to TB during the twilight of Alstott's career I believe.

Who was the 2nd RB with Riggins during Washington's solid run in the early 80s? Was it Joe Washington? He was a decent player.
How about Payton and Suhey?

"Lincoln and Lowe? Who the hell are they?"

Keith Lincoln and Paul Lowe were the running backs on San Diego's AFL championship team of 1963. They were both HB types at around 205. In 1963, Lowe gained 1010 yards at 5.7 per carry. Lincoln ran for 826 at 6.5 per. In the Charges 51-10 win over the Patriots in the title game, Lincoln ran for 206 yards plus 123 receiving, with 2 TD's. Lowe gained 96 yards with a 58 yard TD run.

Kaptain

Master
Not sure about the numbers, but one of the more famous would have to be Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo.

Kaptain Poop said:
Not sure about the numbers, but one of the more famous would have to be Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo.

Sayers and Piccolo were not a tandem as Piccolo was Sayers' backup. Piccolo was briefly tried at fullback but only lined up alongside Sayers a few times.

I followed pro football very closely during that period. In 1968, I was in college and one day went to the library and read the Chicago Tribune. The sports page had a story about Sayers who said that he appreciated Picollo giving him a rest when he needed it. "I need him," Sayers said. I have always remembered this, especially after seeing "Brian's Song."

JReb1

Mentor
Borussia said:
Going to have to agree with you whiteisright. Dorsett and Newhouse were pretty damn good.

Alstott and Dunn too. Although Dunn came to TB during the twilight of Alstott's career I believe.

The second time maybe, but Alstott and Dunn were an awesome (prime) tandem in the late 90's before Dunn went to Atlanta for a few years before returning to Tampa at the end of both of their likely HOF careers.

It still PMO that the A-Train didn't have a team willing to give him a chance to be a featured back when he had such success whenever he carries the ball. Mike had 4.6 40 speed too and MANY DWF's still think the Caste system wasn't the reason for him NEVER having an opportunity to start at RB when there was a similar style (except he wasn't nearly in as good of shape as Mike) black RB (not FB) named Bettis starring during the same era as Alstott...
smiley7.gif

Borussia

Guru
Again, never heard of them whatsoever. Sorry.
Based on the evidence, 1 year wonders in a championship season. Shouldn't be in the top 10 of anything except top 10 1 year wonders.

The modern era just does not have all that many elite, long term Backfield tandems. Seems that most of them were both at a high level for a few years together. Longevity at the RB position is difficult.

Thanks for the info though.

Borussia said:
Again, never heard of them whatsoever. Sorry.
Based on the evidence, 1 year wonders in a championship season. Shouldn't be in the top 10 of anything except top 10 1 year wonders.

The modern era just does not have all that many elite, long term Backfield tandems. Seems that most of them were both at a high level for a few years together. Longevity at the RB position is difficult.

Thanks for the info though.

If you look at the total career (try profootball reference.com) for both Lincoln and Lowe, they were not "one year wonders." Because of injuries and the whims of coach Sid Gillman (he decided Lincoln was too small for FB), they only played as a tandem during the 1963-64 seasons and parts of 1965-66.

Lowe led the AFL in rushing yardage in 1965 and was the No.2 ground gainer for the AFL's 10 year history. Lincoln had several good years in San Diego and another productive season in 1967 after being traded to Buffalo.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Lincoln was one of the stars of the AFL. He was almost the league's running back equivalent of Lance Alworth for a few years.

speedster

Mentor
Man,that is some stupid comment.Just because you have not heard of someone does not diminish their accomplishments.Study up on history a little and read what some of the knowledgable people here post.The world doesn't begin and end with you.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'm surprised Rathman and Craig made it, given that Rathman didn't run much, only1,902 total rushing yards in eight years with the 49ers. He and Moose Johnston were the prototypes of the "new" White running back-- a tenacious blocker and sometimes receiver but an afterthought as a runner.

As a kid I loved Osborn/Brown of the Vikings, though they didn't have quite the production of some of these tandems.