Todd Bertuzzi/ Olympics

speedster

Mentor
Todd Bertuzzi will play for Team Canada in the upcoming Olympics.Well,I guess it's forgive and forget.I had to laugh at Bertuzzi's comment after he found out that he was on the team and that was that he was pleased he was on the team despite his supposed excess baggage.Supposed.He still thinks he did nothing wrong and so do many of the fans out there.He could score the winning goal for Canada and he would be the next national hero.All would be forgotten.This isthe type of cement head mentality that's been a part of North American hockey for years.I'm tired of it.Go Russia!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Sorry, I completely disagree. I have seen the incident for which he has been crucified over and over and I do not think it was all that bad. The result was bad, yes. And he did his time as a suspension. So it is past and time to move on. Should he crawl in a hole and live like a hermit for the rest of his days? What he did happens plently in hockey, just not with the same serious results.

He is a tremendous talent, it's not like he committed murder or rape, which so many OTHER athletes have done. He has become the symbol of the "BAD" white athlete for the media and I for one support him completely as he has apologized and served his suspension. The media conveniently forgets the trespasses of all black athletes after they apolgize and move on. I say do the same with Bertuzzi.

speedster

Mentor
As long as he didn't kill anyone then it's okay I guess.You can smash a guys face into the ice crack your stick over his head,whatever.Just don't kill anyone then everything will be peachy keen Josephine.Danny Heatley can be looked as someone who killed a fellow human and guess what he's on the Canadian Olympic team.Shane Doan made some racist remark against French-Canadians and you guessed it he's on the team.All in the name of winning.Go Kazakhstan!

Realgeorge

Mentor
Bertuzzi is a Sweetheart --- Compared to any NHL Goon from the 1970s
Yahoo! Merry Christmas, gents! Spritied discussion about an unfortunate cruch incident between two honest hockey gladiators. Bertuzzi has been beaten up rather thoroughly by the liberal press. But preserving the honor of one's teammates is hockey religion. Stand by a few more months, another such incident will occur. It's hockey. Even Don Cherry himself on Hockey Night in Canada has pronounced Bertuzzi complete in his penance and absolution.E go te absolvo ab omnibus censuris, et peccatis, in nomine Patris, et Filii, + et Spiritus Sancti. Amen!
Let's run the same incident in 1974 clothing:
In a packed house at the Spectrum, Tiger Williams from Toronto takes a run at Reggie Leach, the Flyers' primary skill-snyper. He drills Leach into the dasher boards, sending him sprawling onto the ice with apainful separated shoulder. Here's what would happen next: ***
Two minutes later, Bill Barber and Dave Schultz dive over the boards to meet the Leaf's crunch line. After a puck-exchange at center ice, a Toronto defenseman passes to Tiger Williams, who receives the pass at full speed at the Flyers' blueline. In a flash, Bill Barber swoops in from the leftwing and knee-whips Williams, sending him flying face-first into the boards. Then Dave Schultz arrives and butt-ends Williams head, sending eight teeth spurting into the night. Before Williams can finish spitting up the blood, Barber comes back and hip-checks Williams' head against the glass, almost severing his spinal cord. Williams reaches out and kicks Barber in the groin with his skate, laughing wickedly as he does so.
Both benches clear, and twelve one-on-one brawls commence. Every one draws blood, and security guards are called in to help the linesmen and referee calm down the meelee. Williams is taken to a local hospital on a stretcher, but not until he gets the driver to stop at "Guppy's Irish Pub" for a few brewskis on the way to the emergency room. A paramedic holds a straw for Williams to suck the beer from since all ten of his fingers were broken in the fight.
The next morning the Philadelphia Inquirer and theToronto Globe and Mailcomplain about last night's boring 1-1 tie between the Leafs and the Flyers. There was a minor scrap in the second period between players on each squad. They look forward to a more interesting game next month in Toronto.Edited by: Realgeorge

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There's no question hockey isn't nearly as violent as it used to be. The same is true of football as well. In the case ofthe NFLit's mostly a negative development, as the priority of most players in the Caste System dominated league is avoiding contact as often as possible in order to keep the paychecks coming in as long as possible.

Hockey has always been the toughest sport of them all. There's no way guys bashing in each other's faces was going to continue to be allowed in the nanny states that Canada and the U.S. have changed into. I understand what Speedster is saying but I think Jaxvid is right that Bertuzzi did not intend the result that occurred and has paid a heavy price in terms of the suspension and the media's demonizing of him. He's apologized over and over again. If he's not going to be barred from hockey (and he shouldn't be), then his penance has been paid. It's very true that black criminals are forgiven and turned into media superstars; why should a talented player like Bertuzzicontinue to be punished by the media for the rest of hisplaying career?

speedster

Mentor
You are so right Realgeorge about standing up for a teammate as a big part of hockey,now I have to admit that I pretty well have had my fill of hockey in recent years,this type of caveman mentality will not bring me back as a fan.This is why I don't buy Bertuzzi's crocodile tears and why a lot of fans have stuck by him.Sad but true.Bertuzzi's suspension was laughable as he only sat out 13 games plus the playoffs and then of course last year hockey was gone.Now he's back ready to become the new Paul Henderson.Go Sweden.

Realgeorge

Mentor
Howdy Speedster !! Happy New Year !! Great Posts, very Thoughtful

I hope sometime, not too long from now, there's a huge CasteFootball convention. I'll buy you a beer, maybe six, and I'll provide tickets to a nearby NHL game. The new game is pretty tame ... not many bad-boy incidents this year with the new rules.

speedster

Mentor
Six beers is my absolute limit and make sure it's a Blue.But then again any beer will do since I can't tell the difference.We will see what happens at the upcoming Olympic tournament,despite what I have said this go-around in February could be pretty good.

I still think Bertuzzi did his time. Is he a good choice for the team? Probably not since he's had an off year.

Oh and if you guys want caveman hockey try to catch an LNAH game.
smiley18.gif
Some teams promise a least 3 fights a game or your money back
smiley2.gif