The White Barry Sanders/Emmitt Smith...

I've seen on this site alot of talk about white tailbacks having to switch to fullback or white tailbacks just not getting a shot at all....I've seen names mentioned such as Mike Alstott, Travis Jervey, Brad Hoover, Brock Forsey, Rob Konrad, Jesse Lumdren, Chance Kretschmer, etc...But there is one name I haven't seen mentioned and if he has been I'm new and I appologize but I think this guy could have been better than all of the above names mentioned...

BRIAN SHAY OF EMPORIA STATE!!!!!!

He went to a Division 2 college because he was considered too small and too slow...so he dominated at Emporia State...From 95-98 he rushed for 6958yds and 81tds, and an all-purpose yds of 9301yds with 88tds...Those were ALL-division records at the time but I think some of them were broken by R.J.Bowers... another...uhhh...White runningback who never got a shot.LOL!!

Now some might say he didn't make it cause he went to a D2 school but he came from the same division as Walter Peyton...Christian Okoye came from an even smaller school, Azusa Pacific....Yet these guys were given a chance and they did....ohhh.... fairly well.....

His biggest critics said he was too small and slow for the pros....He stands 5'9" 218lbs...Barry Sanders was 5'8" 203lbs and Emmitt Smith was 5'9" 209lbs...People used to talk about how compact and strong Barry Sanders legs were and that he could squat 600lbs, well from 1inch taller Brian Shay could squat 700lbs!!!!!!! Barry Sanders ran a 4.37 40 time at the combine and Emmitt was known to run between 4.6 and 4.7 times, Brian Shaywas constantly clocked between a 4.4 to a 4.49.......Brian Shay was the same heightas these guys and built slightly bigger and stronger with a speed right in the middle of these guys...As far as his running style, anybody who's ever seen him play always say he's a combination of both...His moves are a clone of Barry Sanders...

He went undrafted with no character problems or injuries, walked on to the Kansas City Chiefs and was NEVER GIVEN A CHANCE!!!!! He now bounces around in other football leagues and dominates everytime he gets the ball...

Sorry if my post was long, I just felt like this guy deserves a thread!!!!!!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
First off,you make excellent points and welcome to the
board.I remember Shay very well and we have talked
about him in the past.This board has been around for
a few years.You would have to go into the archives
sections of football.He is every bit as good as you say.
I've seen him play and I was in awe.It is nothing new,
just ask Luke Staley.It's a damn shame but hopefully
one of these kids will eventually get a shot to start
at running back and break through.That is the problem.
These kids are rarely or never drafted.If they do some
how make a team,they sit on the bench or play special
teams.They never get a chance.It will take a team with
some guts to buck they system and play one of these
kids.Keep your eyes on Nick Hartigan of Brown,Tre Smith
of Auburn,Peyton Hillis of Arkansas and one other kid
who's name I can't remeber.I will post it later.Again
I welcome you to the board & keep up the great posts.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Ed Pricolo is his name.He is like a white B.Sanders.
Watch this kid play.Tre Smith is also very explosive
and can make cuts on a dime.Good luck to these guys.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the board, Doc. I remember Shay very well too. He was totally shafted by I-A college and by the NFL, as one white running back after another has been. If the NFL had even the slightest interest in having any white running backs, he would have been given a chance. Look at a guy like Darren Sproles, who is smaller andcomparable in quickness to Shay. He was drafted and will be given every chance to succeed in the NFL as a kick returner and third down back, maybe even as a starting halfback.

Those that defend the Caste System will say that the difference is that Sproles went to Kansas State and Shay to a small school. But Shay should have played for a I-A school in the first place, and topnotch talent is topnotch talent, especially at the running back position. The list of white football players who have been denied a fair opportunity because of their race is long and ever growing.

Another name to add to White Lightning's list is Kyle Bell of Colorado State. He will be a sophomore this season and is big, fast, very strong, and is an excellent runner.

Only two Harlon Hill winners have ever seen a snap in the NFL.
Three-time winner Johnny Bailey from Texas A&I was a ninth-
round pick of the Bears in 1989. He made the Pro Bowl as a
kick returner in 1992.

Ronald Moore was a fourth-round pick by Phoenix in 1993 out
of Pittsburg State, rushed for over 1,000 yards his rookie year,
and tailed off after that.

Gary

Mentor
I have never heard of Brian Shay but it really bugs me that these young white guys are not given a chance.I would have liked to see him play in the NFL.My son will play his Sr.year of high school this fall,he wants to run the ball but may have to play the line.He is 6' 210lbs and squats 500lbs.I would like to see him get a scholarship.