the Washington RedTails. wait,.. what ?

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Do you not find it pretty discouraging that 21% of people actually have a problem with the name?

No, I find it very discouraging that the 79% that don't have problem with it, don't have the b@JJ$ to do something about the 21%!

After an initial posture of simply: we will never change the name (period, point blank.).. Snyder has now released a more conciliatory explanation of why he doesn't plan on changing the Redskins name.
The explanation came in a letter to season ticket holders earlier this week.. I personally think it's good public relations, and a fair line of reasoning in defense of the intent behind the Redskins name..

Excerpt from Snyder's letter:
In 1971, our legendary coach, the late George Allen, consulted with the Red Cloud Athletic Fund located on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota and designed our emblem on the Redskins helmets. Several years later, Coach Allen was honored by the Red Cloud Athletic Fund. On the wall at our Ashburn, Virginia, offices is the plaque given to Coach Allen — a source of pride for all of us. “Washington Redskins is more than a name we have called our football team for over eight decades. It is a symbol of everything we stand for: strength, courage, pride, and respect — the same values we know guide Native Americans..

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
After an initial posture of simply: we will never change the name (period, point blank.).. Snyder has now released a more conciliatory explanation of why he doesn't plan on changing the Redskins name.
The explanation came in a letter to season ticket holders earlier this week.. I personally think it's good public relations, and a fair line of reasoning in defense of the intent behind the Redskins name..

Excerpt from Snyder's letter:
In 1971, our legendary coach, the late George Allen, consulted with the Red Cloud Athletic Fund located on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota and designed our emblem on the Redskins helmets. Several years later, Coach Allen was honored by the Red Cloud Athletic Fund. On the wall at our Ashburn, Virginia, offices is the plaque given to Coach Allen — a source of pride for all of us. “Washington Redskins is more than a name we have called our football team for over eight decades. It is a symbol of everything we stand for: strength, courage, pride, and respect — the same values we know guide Native Americans..

I smell weakness. I'm sure the PC crowd does too. I think the name will be changed within a couple of years.

Pie

Guru
Who here remembers The Fightin' Whities?

fightin_whities_shirt.jpg

I got a lot of mileage out of one of their shirts back in my college days.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Who here remembers The Fightin' Whities?

fightin_whities_shirt.jpg

I got a lot of mileage out of one of their shirts back in my college days.

Great shirt!
Most people nowadays don't know the story behind that if it's what I am about to refer to. It's a great shirt for striking up a conversation, but too bad the progressive, White-hating, liberal scum created the "cause" in 2002 and used the shirt and term against Whites sarcastically, and to mock Whites of the great era of the 50's and anything pure or noble about that generation. They even made loads of money from the stint. See below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Whites

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
This was posted in another thread on this forum, but really belongs here. I've used it to change some knuckleheaded DWF minds (I modified the intro slightly, but didn't change the meaning):

I have friend who is an avid collector of Native art and has a keen interest in the Native American culture.

When discussing the topic once, he pointed out to me a bow-and-arrow set, made by a Native American in the late 1800s, with a tassel on the bow carrying four beads of four different colors. They were each meant to stand for one of the peoples of the Americas. There was a black bead, a white bead, a yellow bead and a red bead. You can guess whom they were meant to represent. You see, the Natives see THEMSELVES in this way. They are the red people, and they have had pride in this probably for all of their history. They admire and look for the deep color of their skin and there's a reason why they disdain the 'pale' white man's look. They literally consider themselves red-skins, similar to how the ancient Sumerians referred to themselves as 'the black-headed people.' This is, at least, the historical truth.

And the story about how "redskin was used to describe Indian scalps used as bounties in New England" is a crock and has been proven to be so. Redskin is historically no more offensive than 'Fighting Irish' or other similar names, so you will have to re-arrange all of sports if you believe there is a problem, and you will be in fact disappointing many Indians who appreciate the pedestal and honor we have bestowed on them naming the Capital team of the country's flagship sport after them.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I smell weakness. I'm sure the PC crowd does too. I think the name will be changed within a couple of years.

Yep. I fear you're correct good sir. However, ol' lonsman Snyder will earn my respect (to a degree) if he continues to defy those cultmarx candy@$$es.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yep. I fear you're correct good sir. However, ol' lonsman Snyder will earn my respect (to a degree) if he continues to defy those cultmarx candy@$$es.
I found this amusing nickname for a defunct Atlanta baseball team the "Crackers"...:scared: I suspect the name would be dead but if it pokes fun at White males then you never know if it could survive today's crazy PC times....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Crackers