the next Wariner? Pick one

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The kid is amazing. I'm hoping Penn State doesn't try to move him up to the 400 and 800 like some colleges do because of the stereotypes. He is a sprinter. I would like to see him continue to improve. I will be keeping a close eye on this kid. Here is a short bio with his perfomances from this year.

http://parser.dyestat.com/search.jsp?athID=90844Edited by: white lightning

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
in-freaking-credible! wow!
smiley3.gif
smiley32.gif

trackster

Mentor
He's just US #1 at 200, 300, and 400. That's all. :) Oh, and it looks like he's #10 at the long jump, too.

In the meanwhile, the other kid we've been talking about, Patrick Farmer, just won the NY championships at the 300. NY had seven of the top 11 300 runners in the country, so beating them all was no small feat. He's raw as hell, too. Looking forward to Gehret and Farmer being the next Coe-Ovett style rivalry someday.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's time for both of these kids to have their own threads. Especially Brady with the 2 fastest sprint times in the United States in the 200 & 400 meters! Here is his big record win in the 200. The camera work is not that good as they don't even keep up with him most of the race. That is how far ahead of every other sprinter he was! I can't wait to see him running at Penn State next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dBuOfOhWUwEdited by: white lightning

albinosprint

Mentor
trackster said:
He's just US #1 at 200, 300, and 400.  That's all. :)  Oh, and it looks like he's #10 at the long jump, too.In the meanwhile, the other kid we've been talking about, Patrick Farmer, just won the NY championships at the 300.  NY had seven of the top 11 300 runners in the country, so beating them all was no small feat.  He's raw as hell, too.  Looking forward to Gehret and Farmer being the next Coe-Ovett style rivalry someday.

I really hope Farmer is going to run spring track. this kid could be a big baseball player and not run. I've known allot of fast guys over the years that used winter track for helping them to steal bases in the spring. I pray that's not the case with this kid.

as for Gehret, the Penn coach better not push him into the 800.I was a fast 100/200m sprinter in high school and almost accepted a track scholarship to Penn, but decided not too after the coach told me his plans to make me a 400/800m runner. I know he is from PA, but Gehert needs to be heading to Baylor.
Edited by: albinosprint

trackster

Mentor
Gehret's going to Penn State, where they have been collecting an amazing cast of extremely promising 800 guys, so I don't they'll want to stick him there. At any rate, he seems best at the 200. His 60 time is good for high school (sub 7), but not good enough for a 100 man, so he must really turn it on at the end to run the 200s he does. He's run the 8th fastest all time. On the other hand, his 400 times are superb, but not at that level. So he seems to lose a little between 200 and 400. If I'm his coach, the 800 should be out of the question.

As for Farmer, I'm hoping he gets a track scholarship to college rather than a soccer scholarship. Mike Quercia (another name to pull for) scored a track scholarship to TX, and his times aren't as impressive as Gehret's or Farmer's.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
A report from a high school invitational meet in NY this wkend:
"Patrick Farmer (St Anthony's) comes from last at 100 to win the 200 in a blazing 21.64 (+2.9)"

I can't to see what this kid will do in another year or two. He started running track this year or last year....

trackster

Mentor
An AMAZING set of performances by the indefatigable Gehret this week. In one day, he wins the long jump by two feet, run's the nation's best time in the 400 (lopping three seconds off the meet record!), and still has enough energy to win the 200 in a sparkling 200. He would have won the triple jump (where he was number one seed), but couldn't participate, on account of a rule limiting him to four events (he ran the relay).

Now let's see if Patrick Farmer can keep up that pace (in the race to be the Next Jeremy Wariner).

From an article:

Gehret began things innocently enough by winning the long jump with a
distance of 23-6, nearly 2 feet better than the next closest
competitor. Then the Mountain Lion star covered the quarter-mile in an
amazing 46.39 seconds, winning the event by more than 3 seconds and
breaking the standard set by Branden Adams of Altoona in 1999 at 49.24.

That
set the stage for the faceoff with Kenney in the 200. Gehret finished
in 21.12 seconds, a hundredth of a second better than his record time of
last year. Kenney wasn't far behind at 21.58.

Gehret, who
finished off the meet by helping post a 3:21.59 in the four-by-four,
said he was most happy with his performance in the 400.

"I came
out there looking to get the number-one time in the nation,'' Gehret
said, "and that's exactly what I got. I'm really excited about that.

"The
past two weeks, I've been going at it really hard training-wise, and it
definitely all paid off.''

Of course, most of those in attendance
showed up to see Gehret and Kenney go head to head. It was only the
second time the pair of Penn State recruits - Gehret for track, Kenney
for football - have gone up against each other this season in the event.

Gehret
missed an opportunity to run the 200 against Kenney at the West Central
Coaches Invitational earlier this month after he, Endress, Beiswenger
and Mike Harf were suspended for a violation of team rules; Kenney set a
meet record in Gehret's absence and was seeded first at districts.

"I've
been looking forward to this race for a long time. After the 400, it
was going to be a lot closer, because I was tired. But it was a great
race. He really got out there,'' Gehret said.

trackster

Mentor
The exploits of these two boys just go on and on. Patrick Farmer, running in his league championships, dropped down and tried the 100. The result: 10.67. Who knew he had that kind of speed in a short sprint? He also won the 400 in 48.89, although that wasn't one of his better times.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Farmer has some serious wheels on him. I wonder what he could to if he just trained for the 100 & 200 fulltime? Regardless of where he runs, he is so talented. Reminds me alot of Wariner in how he looks like a natural. He was born to run!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
The news about Brady Gehret at Penn St., made me wonder what has happened to Patrick Farmer.
Apparently, he's at the University of Virginia, but haven't found any indication that he's run any races yet.
Let's hope he's out on the track soon.

trackster

Mentor
Hi, Jacknyc,

Patrick Farmer has run in only one meet so far this season, even though UVA has competed in two, so he may be nursing an injury. Pretty pedestrian times in the first meet, so I'd say an injury is a pretty good guess. Like you, though, I'm anxious to see him get out there and show what he can do.

trackster

Mentor
In the meanwhile, we've got another freshman making a splash. Neill Braddy, who won the 100, 200, and 400 state champs in Arkansas last year (I believe he has his own forum topic) is a U of Arkansas freshman this year. He's been moved around a little. Hasn't done anything special in the 60 or 200 but ran a superb 47.58 indoor 400 in an Arkansas/Texas dual meet, winning over juniors and seniors. Given that it was his first race, we should add him to the "Next Wariner" list (and Laura Roesler to the "female Wariner").

white lightning

Hall of Famer
We might have to do that but let's wait till outdoors. I need to see Neill run as well as Laura. It's great to have some fresh new faces coming into the college scene. I hope this trend continues.

trackster

Mentor
Brady Gehret won the 200 and finished second in the 400 at a meet with quite a number of schools. His 200 time was not his best, but he had to run it after the 400, which is one heck of a tough double for an afternoon.

trackster

Mentor
Oh, and as for Neil Braddy, the Arkansas freshman, here's a quote on yesterday's meet:

"I also want to mention the 4x4. This was something we lacked last year
and Coach Case has done a good job of bringing life back into that event
for us. We had a freshman anchor in Neill Braddy
and he did a phenomenal job. He really showed the kind of competitor he
is running step-for-step with probably the best 400-meter runner in the
country (Tabarie Henry of Texas A&M)."

trackster

Mentor
This could be premature, but along with Gehret and Braddy, both of whom are running this weekend (Patrick Farmer has disappeared, perhaps injured), I think we should keep an eye on the young Brit Jack Green. He'll be running at the Aviva British championships in the 400 and, aside from taking the silver in the 400hurdles in the world junior champs last year (a Serb finished first--haven't seen his name lately), he has run a superb personal best in the 400 flat this indoor season. It appears he may be dropping the hurdles to specialize in the flat race.

trackster

Mentor
Gehret (not surprisingly) is emerging as the most advanced of the baby Wariners. Last night, he finished fourth out of 75 collegiate runners in the 400 at the Tyson Invitational. He ran a very solid 46.25 (remember, that's indoors). And he's just a freshman.

Fellow freshman Neil Braddy ran an uncharacteristically slow 48.03. Perhaps he slowed up at the end or something went wrong. But for now, I think we have to say that Gehret is the main man to watch in the stakes to succeed Wariner.

As for Laura Roesler, she ran a 2:06 indoor 800, which was okay, but she has been showing more talent at the 400 than the 800 all year. I'm not sure if her coach will ever notice that.

trackster

Mentor
Neil Braddy was on fire yesterday. Smoked a 46.03 indoor 400 in the qualifying rounds of the SEC championships. That means he wrested away the title of fastest freshman from Brady Gehret, who had run a 46.25 a few weeks ago. Based on his relay work, I'm not surprised that Braddy had this time in him. Now it looks like the battle for the mantle of "Next Wariner" comes down to Braddy v. Brady.

Brady Gehret was in action yesterday, too. He took it easy, coasting into qualification for the 400. The time was nothing special, but then again the goal was simply to finish first (which he did) and save energy for his other events: the 200 (where he also finished first in his heat to qualify), the long jump, and the 4 by 400. Gehret is an ironman, but I almost wish they'd lighten his load a little so that we could see what kind of time he really has in him.

Back to the SEC, only two upperclassmen managed better qualifying times than Braddy. One was his teammate, Marek Niit with a sub-46 indoor 400! (I bet that was a Lithuanian record, too, Lightning!).

On the downside, Patrick Farmer, who hardly seems to have raced this season, was listed as DNS for Virginia. He must have a nagging injury of some sort.

trackster

Mentor
I just stumbled upon a link to the SEC championships and enjoyed watching Braddy in the finals, along with Niit and Ben Skidmore. He didn't win, but that would have been a tall order, given the SEC's strength in that event and the fact that Braddy is a skinny, underdeveloped freshman, but man, he's fast. He ran another brilliant time 46.05, which would have won most conference championships. Skidmore actually finished slightly ahead and Niit slightly behind. Great times for all three. Believe me, we should all be pulling for Arkansas's 4 by 400 team at the NCAA.

Back to Braddy, it's almost unbelievable that such a scrawny little fellow could run the times he has. He reminds me of a young Sebastian Coe. I don't know if he'd ever consider it, but, looking at him, he could win the Olympics in the 800 someday. To be able to generate that kind of speed with such a lightweight, whippet body, the sky would be the limit for him in the two-lap.

trackster

Mentor
The hits just keep coming! Arkansas (with Skidmore, Niit, and Braddy) just ran the fastest 4 by 400 in the world this year. They were actually in second until Braddy took the baton for the anchor leg and blew past his competition. Man, that kid is fast. I tell you, he's the next Sebastian Coe if he wants to be.