The Foley incident

Freedom

Mentor
Did the shooting of Steve Foley propel the Caste System?
From the way it was reported, it seems like a tragedy and a terribly malicious decision by the police officer. I feel sorry for Foley.

If Foley is replaced by a white player(not gonna happen), the media will tear it up. Racism!

This is already assumed to be a hate crime.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Freedom said:
Did the shooting of Steve Foley propel the Caste System?
From the way it was reported, it seems like a tragedy and a terribly malicious decision by the police officer. I feel sorry for Foley.

If Foley is replaced by a white player(not gonna happen), the media will tear it up. Racism!

This is already assumed to be a hate crime.

Bad decision by the officer???? It seems more like it was just bad aim. Let's see, a huge drunk black guy resists arrest, a guy who has already assaulted a cop, then charges at a cop and the cop shoots him. Sounds like a GOOD decision by the cop. Hate crime? Sure, who doesn't hate drunk black football players that attack cops????

From news report:

It happened around 3:30 Sunday morning..when an off duty Coronado police officer started following a man who was driving erratically. Police say the driver is Chargers linebacker Steve Foley.
The officer identified himself several times as a police officer, but Foley would not pull over. Foley then drove to his own neighborhood in Poway where he got out of the car and his girlfriend got behind the wheel. Police say Foley came at the officer who fired a warning shot. The woman then drove the car at the officer. The officer fired into the car, then shot Foley. But police say Foley kept coming, and the off duty officer shot him several more times.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I thought you guys were talking about Axel Foley.....
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Look at the site from where you obtained your information: CBS News.

It doesn't suprise me in the least that they, and the rest of the MSM, would try to spin this into a hate crime and racism on the part of the off-duty police officer, as they do in most such incidents regardless of the facts.

The ESPN article I read and posted concerning this incident in the "Crime Thread," now in Happy Hour, included more details of the story than the CBS article. I have a habit of not accepting anything I read in the MSM but instead seek out alternative sources, even using Google to find articles in the local papers about incidents like these.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Marty Schottenheimer has been quoted in two separate news stories.His comments made me laugh. Boy, how times have changed. Tells you how out of whack these clowns are. Not one word of condemnation or disgust. You'd think Foley was injured rescuing invalids from a nursing home fire. I'm surprised the mayor didn't show upto get his autograph.

"All we're worried about is that he's OK," Schottenheimer told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

AP-- Foley was at Sharp Memorial Hospital. He was visited briefly on Monday by coach Marty Schottenheimer. Trainer James Collins and the Chargers security director, Dick Lewis, also were seen at the hospital.

"I would say he's doing pretty well, given the circumstances," said Schottenheimer, who declined to comment on Foley's condition. "It was good to get a chance to see him again. We're anxious to see him recover as quickly as possible."

bigunreal

Mentor
Close to ten years ago, Redskin RB Terry Allen led police on a high speed chase (up to 130 mph) through three states, ending only when he ran into a barricade. Miraculously, he wasn't hurt, and neither was anyone else. Then Redskin GM Charley Casserly's public comments on the incident were akin to Schottenheimer's; "we're just glad Terry is okay." No words about how glad he was that no innocent bystanders were hurt as a result of Allen's incredibly reckless actions. BTW, it was matter of factly announced in a newspaper article on this incident that Allen had collected SEVEN drunk driving arrests while in college. That's right- SEVEN! So, this would have been at least his EIGHTH drunk driving arrest. Funny, I don't recall Mothers Against Drunk Drivers commenting publicly on this incident. I would bet that none of their members sat outside the courtroom and tried to pressure the judge to throw the book at Allen, the way they have for many, many non-celebrity drunk drivers over the past few decades. Shockingly enough, Allen suffered no real penalty (the usual "celebrity special"- community service and/or suspended sentence), and missed no playing time. I'm also betting that he is still a licensed driver. Okay, enough ranting.

Bart

Hall of Famer
bigunreal said:
Funny, I don't recall Mothers Against Drunk Drivers commenting publicly on this incident. I would bet that none of their members sat outside the courtroom and tried to pressure the judge to throw the book at Allen, the way they have for many, many non-celebrity drunk drivers over the past few decades.

You're right about MADD, they are very selective.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Foley had a blood alcohol content of .233 when he charged the cop, impressively high. Note that the article mentions his "history of aggressive and even violent contact with law enforcement." Guess this means his teammates and announcers for Chargers games will go out of their way even more now to "honor" this great man than they have already.
smiley11.gif

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2587718

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Foley had a blood alcohol content of .233 when he charged the cop, impressively high.

WOW!!! I literally laughed out loud in amazement, mouth agape and eyes wide open, when I read his BAC level. That is jaw-droppingly high.

Considering that .08 is the legal limit, Foley's BAC was just under 3x the legal limit. THREE TIMES!

From wikipedia:
Unless a person has developed a high tolerance, a BAC rating of 0.20 represents very serious intoxication (most first-time drinkers would be passed out by about 0.15), and 0.35 represents potentially fatal alcohol poisoning. 0.40 is the accepted LD50, or lethal dose for 50% of adult humans. For a long-time, heavy drinker, those numbers can at least double. In extreme cases, individuals have survived BAC ratings as high as 0.914.

Another few drinks and Foley might have suffered potentially fatal alcohol poisoning!

backrow

Hall of Famer
Prosecutors suspect LB Foley used steroids

NFL.com wire reports

SAN DIEGO (Sept. 14, 2006) -- Prosecutors suspect Chargers linebacker Steve Foley was on steroids when he was shot three times by an off-duty police officer.

"His history of aggressive and even violent contact with law enforcement indicates the possibility of more than mere alcohol involvement," wrote criminal investigator Dan Nordell in an affidavit for a search warrant. "(Steroids) can cause erratic behavior in those that use them. This has been given names like 'roid rage for the uncontrollable outbursts and violence experienced by some users."

Prosecutors requested a sample of Foley's blood from Sharp Memorial Hospital, where he was reported in fair condition earlier this week.

Authorities have no evidence Foley was using performance-enhancing drugs but want to test his blood because the linebacker has had previous run-ins with law enforcement, according to the affidavit.

Foley's attorney, John G. Phillips, did not immediately respond to a phone message.

Investigators already have asked prosecutors to charge Foley with misdemeanor drunk driving. In the affidavit, an investigator said Foley's blood-alcohol level was 0.233 percent, nearly three times California's legal limit of 0.08 percent, when he was shot Sept. 3 outside his home in suburban Poway.

Foley was shot three times -- twice in the back of the left leg and once on the outside of the left thigh -- by an off-duty Coronado police officer near his home. San Diego County sheriff's officials said the officer followed Foley's car on suspicion that the driver was drunk.

According to the sheriff's department, Foley got out of the car and began walking toward the officer, who said he was armed and fired a warning shot. The officer shot Foley after the linebacker reached into his pants with his right hand.

The officer, Aaron Mansker, has been placed on paid administrative leave.

Since 1999, Foley has been arrested at least five times, including cases that police say involved alcohol and confrontations with officers.

In April, he was arrested for investigation of resisting arrest after police said he scuffled with officers. He also was booked for investigation of battery on a police officer and public drunkenness, but the district attorney's office decided there wasn't enough evidence to bring charges in that case.

Before that, Foley pleaded guilty to drunken driving in Louisiana in 1999 and received probation.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

that's from NFL.com... how is it possible that thugs like him are not only running free but also making huge money from playing pro football?

Bart

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
Another few drinks and Foley might have suffered potentially fatal alcohol poisoning!

This is one time a bartender should have said, " You haven't had enough."

bigunreal

Mentor
Foley will not suffer any real punishment. Athletes (and other celebrities) never do. If any working stiff had the record Foley had, and had somehow remained on the streets in order to contribute this latest incident to the record books, they would face a long, long prison sentence. Mothers Against Drunk Drivers would be aghast that someone with a record like that was out driving on our roads. Police organizations would be going nuts over the fact that someone with a history of violent confrontations with police was still free to add another one to his list. His employer would instantly fire him and he'd lose any pension he had. Our injustice system is truly a thing of wonder.

Bart

Hall of Famer
As far as I know MADD, didn't make a stink when a black judge, threw out evidence allowing Steve McNair to walk. Farcical system.

[url]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/titans/2004-08-0 7-mcnair-case_x.htm?POE=SPOISVA [/url]
<DIV =intro-copy>NASHVILLE (AP) â€â€￾ A final ruling in the DUI case against Titans quarterback Steve McNair ended a year of legal wrangling which saw a judge toss out key evidence that crippled the prosecution.
A judge formally dismissed the DUI and illegal gun possession charges Friday, after earlier ruling that police didn't have sufficient reason to pull over McNair in the first place.
McNair was arrested in May 2003 while driving his sport utility vehicle in downtown Nashville. His blood alcohol content registered at 0.18%, almost twice the 0.10 level then used to define driving under the influence, according to a police report. The DUI threshold has since been lowered to 0.08%.
Judge Cheryl Blackburn had ruled that a police video didn't show McNair's vehicle weaving outside his lane of traffic and that officer Shawn Taylor did not have a reason to stop him. That ruling meant all evidence gathered after the stop, including a gun found in McNair's car and the blood alcohol test, was excluded.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's another article on the Hero of San Diego. Snippet:

Foley, who is from Little Rock, said, "You shot me in the knee," but continued approaching the off-duty Coronado police officer, Aaron Mansker. The officer shot at least three more rounds at Foley before the player "went down" and fell unconscious, the report said.

Sounds like Foley was in a Rodney King-like condition.

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/15/bc. fbn.chargers.foleysh.ap/index.html [/url]