The Best Postseason Running Backs

I found this article (http://www.sports-central.org/sports/2011/03/22/the_best_postseason_running_backs.php) a few days ago. The writer names eight runners. Steve Van Buren is the only one from pre-Super Bowl times. The others were Super Bowl MVPs. The players are listed in chronological order:

Steve Van Buren
Larry Csonka
Franco Harris
John Riggins
Marcus Allen
Ottis Anderson
Emmitt Smith
Terrell Davis

A summary of each player's career is given. He feels Terrell Davis is the best playoff runner of all time:

"Because his career was so short, Davis doesn't have the big numbers like Franco Harris and Emmitt Smith do, but there is an argument to be made that he is the greatest postseason runner of all time. Not only was he the last of the great postseason backs, the final player at his position to put a team on his shoulders and carry it to a title, but his per-game averages are off the charts, easily the best player on the list. Only Riggins is even in the same ballpark."

By the way, the HOF selectors have so far declined to induct Davis on the grounds he didn't play long enough.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Although I think that Terrell Davis was an outstanding RB before his career was cut short with injuries, I'll go ahead and "de-justify" his accomplishments the same way that the media and DWFs would do to a white player:

He played behind an outstanding offensive line that used a "new" zone-blocking scheme that defenses had not yet adjusted to (complete with tons of career-threatening cut blocks that also kept defenses on their heels) and played with a HOF QB that took a good percentage of the attention from him.

I found this article (http://www.sports-central.org/sports/2011/03/22/the_best_postseason_running_backs.php) a few days ago. The writer names eight runners. Steve Van Buren is the only one from pre-Super Bowl times. The others were Super Bowl MVPs. The players are listed in chronological order:

Steve Van Buren
Larry Csonka
Franco Harris
John Riggins
Marcus Allen
Ottis Anderson
Emmitt Smith
Terrell Davis

A summary of each player's career is given. He feels Terrell Davis is the best playoff runner of all time:

"Because his career was so short, Davis doesn't have the big numbers like Franco Harris and Emmitt Smith do, but there is an argument to be made that he is the greatest postseason runner of all time. Not only was he the last of the great postseason backs, the final player at his position to put a team on his shoulders and carry it to a title, but his per-game averages are off the charts, easily the best player on the list. Only Riggins is even in the same ballpark."

By the way, the HOF selectors have so far declined to induct Davis on the grounds he didn't play long enough.

Interesting list, and I don't really disagree with much, other than putting Davis over Riggins. None of those players could have run a 4.50 forty in his prime, yet the forty is a huge caste tool (until a white guy runs a good one, then all objective criteria get tossed). In fact, that group is noteworthy for its lack of blazing speed. Lots of toughness, good vision, very little fumbling. Not much shiftiness either. I would love to hear a caste enabler explain the "loose hips" of Marcus Allen or Terrell Davis.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Merrill Hoge had two outstanding playoff games back to back in 1989 against Houston and Denver, both on the road. He went over 100 yards rushing in both of them, and had triple digits against the Broncos by halftime of the AFC championship game.

Not saying Hoge belongs on the list because it was only one season and the Steelers didn't make it to the Super Bowl, as the Broncos came from behind in the fourth quarter to knock off Pittsburgh, but that was a very interesting Steelers team to follow. They started off 0-2, losing to Cleveland 51-0 at home and then were similarly clobbered by the Bengals the next week before starting to turn it around and ended up making the playoffs as a wildcard entry at 9-7 when an unlikely scenario of wins and losses by various teams in the final game of the season allowed them to get in.

They looked like a team ready to resemble the Steelers of the 1970s with Hoge and QB Bubby Brister being key components, but then Chuck Noll brought in Joe Walton after the '89 season to completely redesign the offense, which turned out to be a miserable failure and wound up being a key factor in ending Noll's long reign as head coach. The Steelers failed to score a touchdown in any of the first four games of the 1990 season and quickly slipped back into the mediocrity that characterized Noll's teams for most of the 1980s. Noll stepped aside after the '91 season, replaced by the ultra-aggressive young wigger Bill Cowher, and Hoge, Brister, and most of the rest of the team's White players were quickly Caste aside. But for two playoff games in 1989, Hoge was at his best and it was great to see the underdog Steelers nearly prevail in back to back playoff games on the road.

Interesting list, and I don't really disagree with much, other than putting Davis over Riggins. None of those players could have run a 4.50 forty in his prime, yet the forty is a huge caste tool (until a white guy runs a good one, then all objective criteria get tossed). In fact, that group is noteworthy for its lack of blazing speed. Lots of toughness, good vision, very little fumbling. Not much shiftiness either. I would love to hear a caste enabler explain the "loose hips" of Marcus Allen or Terrell Davis.

How do you put Riggins over Davis? Riggins had six 100 yard games out of nine. Davis had seven out of eight. Riggins' team was 1-1 in Super Bowls (and Riggins was 26-64 in the one he lost), Davis' 2-0. Riggins averaged 4 yards a carry, Davis 5.6, on total yardage respectively 996 for Riggins and 1140 for Davis.

Both Riggins and Davis had more big games out of fewer playoff appearances than Franco Harris and Emmitt Smith.

Although I think that Terrell Davis was an outstanding RB before his career was cut short with injuries, I'll go ahead and "de-justify" his accomplishments the same way that the media and DWFs would do to a white player:

He played behind an outstanding offensive line that used a "new" zone-blocking scheme that defenses had not yet adjusted to (complete with tons of career-threatening cut blocks that also kept defenses on their heels) and played with a HOF QB that took a good percentage of the attention from him.

Didn't Riggins have the "Hogs" blocking for him? Gibbs also placed him deep in the I formation.

Elway didn't play on a Super Bowl winner until he had Davis with him. He had played in three losing Super Bowl in the 1980's.

We should remember that nobody ever wins a Super Bowl by himself.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I was just making a tongue-in-cheek observation, a reverse of what a DWF would say if a white player was given accolades. This Terrell Davis infatuation that you have suddenly is very interesting. Perhaps you've been hanging out with Deadlift a bit too much. :wink:

I was just making a tongue-in-cheek observation, a reverse of what a DWF would say if a white player was given accolades. This Terrell Davis infatuation that you have suddenly is very interesting. Perhaps you've been hanging out with Deadlift a bit too much. :wink:

I apologize. No offense intented. It is harder to gain yardage during the playoffs. Barry Sanders, for example, did a lot less in playoff games than during the regular season.

My interest in Davis concerns his being unable (so far) to get in the HOF.

Kaptain

Master
How do you put Riggins over Davis? Riggins had six 100 yard games out of nine. Davis had seven out of eight. Riggins' team was 1-1 in Super Bowls (and Riggins was 26-64 in the one he lost), Davis' 2-0. Riggins averaged 4 yards a carry, Davis 5.6, on total yardage respectively 996 for Riggins and 1140 for Davis.

Both Riggins and Davis had more big games out of fewer playoff appearances than Franco Harris and Emmitt Smith.

I would put Riggins over Davis, but I'm biased. Davis played for an offense that put up a lot a points and had a much more potent passing game. It's also a difference between the modern offense and one that was old school. Heck, we all know the numbers in all offensive categories have sky rocketed since the Riggins Era. Players are judged or should be judged in context to the Era they played. Riggins was the Washington offense. His 4th quarter performances and his 4th quarter game sealing run in the Super Bowl were epic. I don't remember a similar moment for Terrell Davis. He put up great numbers and was very explosive, but my vote is for Riggins.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I apologize. No offense intented. It is harder to gain yardage during the playoffs. Barry Sanders, for example, did a lot less in playoff games than during the regular season.

Don't worry about Terrell Davis and the HOF, he's got the "right" skin color, he'll get in eventually. Especially as years go by and DWF's look back longingly at his years of exception.

dwid

Hall of Famer

The Hogs were great but not on the same level as the efficient zbs that Davis ran behind, the same scheme that has produced multiple no name 1k rushers.

Elway was a better qb than Theisman, yeah he didn't win the big one until Davis, but Marino never won any, so we are going to discredit him as well?

Yeah they lined up Riggins in the "deep i" although when looking at footage its lots of single back sets with him around 5 yards behind the line on a good deal of plays, with modern backs closer to 7 yards back which helps them with their vision and choosing a hole.

Not saying that was the case on every single play but they did mix it up. Not sure why he wasn't in the i more, because every play they put him in there he seems to gain a huge chunk (it seems like these are the main ones in highlights of him), with getting like 3 to 5 yards on most plays in the single back set, not to mention the fact they weren't the only team running these concepts.

Running was much harder in the 80's, you didnt' see linemen getting pushed around like ragdolls constantly like you see these guys today (mostly black sumos), guys could tackle better as well, better form etc, not afraid to try and take someone down.

Not to mention Riggins wasn't even in his prime with those teams, he was in his 30's (almost a decade older than Davis during the playoff runs) after knee injuries, yet he performed great and its not like he was some workout warrior that stayed in peak physical condition. But we can't just use the fact that he happened to be on a better team with his skillset being used closer to its fullest at such an old age so we have to look at other things.'

So excuses aside most of the plays designed for him were power plays, designed to pick up a few yards, hell the big run in the Superbowl was a play designed to get short yardage, they were looking for one, he did what his offense asked him to do and he did it extremely well.

With the zbs you have backs not getting touched until 4 to 5 yards for many plays which is why guys like Alfred Morris can look decent. I mean where is Steve Slaton? 1k runner and just disappeared.. (Kubiak was a coach on those Denver teams). Shanahan knows the guys he has now are expendable as well. I mean the offfense is pretty much plug and play, although I don't think anyone at that time could have came in and put up the stats Davis did during the postseason, they still probably could have remained effecient enough to keep things rolling which seperates him from the others.

Another thing that separates Davis is the fact that he ran for 2k behind that kind of line but I can't put him above Riggins either.

I agree that you just can't compare from two different eras by stats alone. We have guys averaging 6 like Sproles and Charles (Sproles averaged 6.9 last year and Charles 6.4 in 2010) and I wouldn't put them in the greatest of all time debate because 25+ years ago averaging 6+ ypc just in one season is a different story. Schemes evolve as well as the way the game is played and it always seems to benefit the offense. Pretty much every team uses some zone blocking plays now because they work so well, multiple gaps to choose from, although only a few teams run it very well, like the Texans. Kind of curious how well they do with going mostly sumo. They are one of the few teams that has a top back and a potent passing attack. Most teams go one way or the other now.

Craig James had one good postseason run until the Superbowl. Unfortunately in the Superbowl the Patriots had the only qb to start one without completing a pass, by the time they changed qbs it was a blowout and James didn't get a chance to run, maybe 5 attempts?

but yes we are biased, we do support the White athlete but even with everything considered it could go either way without bias, it can be spun both ways. I just think Riggins is proof that Whites can be featured guys. We have a 30+ year old (The years he was considered dominant) White guy who wasn't in top shape (knee injuries, recovery different than now) doing great in a time when the league started becoming blacker. From what I have read he was never serious about training, reports that he drank heavily, even a rumor about him doing shrooms before a game. For some reason reading about him reminds me of that movie Great White Hype, where supposedly the black heavyweight champion is so great and didn't train to fight the White guy, got fat etc and still won (the movie considered a White heavyweight contender as a joke), except this actually happened in real life. A guy that never took himself seriously, treated the game for what it was, a game. He came to play on Sundays but I dont know exactly what he did during the week, perhaps others know more, the only thing that comes to mind is that he had team meetings in a shed drinking unless I am remembering wrong and still he he had a great career. He could have had a much, much better career, those early years he could have done much better imo, but it is what it is and he is still one of the greatest with one of the best postseason performances, imo the best but you have a valid argument for Davis, however he did fail to score a td in the 2nd Superbowl, Riggins scored in both, and it was his team's only td in that loss and then the only tds in their playoff loss the next year.

The Broncos' scored 34 points in the 2nd Superbowl, Davis contributed 0 of those points. Its a team game (your words were "no one can win it by themselves) but then quote the 1-1 vs 2-0 as if he had the upper hand, the 9th postseason game he still scored 2 touchdowns and was 35, Theisman was 35, both would decline the following seasons, yes Joe got injured but threw like the double the interceptions.

Last edited:

jaxvid

Hall of Famer

This, to me, is an example of the problems of the caste system. Not to pick on sports historian-a valuable poster with lots of good insight, but really discussions of this type are the meat and potatoes of sports. You can never "really" determine who was better in this situation, Riggins or Davis, but that is the whole idea. Who you choose to defend says a lot about who you are and how you think.

You can go on and on about who had the better line and who was more important in their teams winning or losing and what happened there, and it's even worse if you throw in statistics, number of yards (were they important yards? did they come at a needed time? in garbage time?) avg number of yards, and less importantly what team won-something that could be totally out of the control of one guy--the running back.

So it would seem to me that a CF guy would look at the situation and think--Riggins, probably the best White running back ever, Davis--another of a long series of black running backs that had some good years but not the longevity--hey c'mon, Riggins every time. But NO, I have to be "FAIR", for some reason I will look at the same stuff other guys do and determine that to be "FAIR" the black guy is better.

Let's not try to be so fair, let's be more partisan, it's just a game!

dwid

Hall of Famer
So it would seem to me that a CF guy would look at the situation and think--Riggins, probably the best White running back ever, Davis--another of a long series of black running backs that had some good years but not the longevity--hey c'mon, Riggins every time. But NO, I have to be "FAIR", for some reason I will look at the same stuff other guys do and determine that to be "FAIR" the black guy is better.

I was fair....and still chose Riggins. Its actually a valid argument no matter what board you are on. Regarding post season success, there isn't a long series of black runningbacks. Out of the 8 that he mentioned, 3 are White which goes to show that most these precious affletic backs aren't helping with post season success with a larger percentage of White backs enjoying post season victories, at least getting close to the Superbowl/Championship, which is supposed to be the ultimate goal. Riggins and Davis were the only ones to reach multiple records without playing that many games (everybody else reached records playing more way more, Davis had 8, Riggins had 9).

but regarding your post, I understand what you are trying to say.

Last edited:
This, to me, is an example of the problems of the caste system. Not to pick on sports historian-a valuable poster with lots of good insight, but really discussions of this type are the meat and potatoes of sports. You can never "really" determine who was better in this situation, Riggins or Davis, but that is the whole idea. Who you choose to defend says a lot about who you are and how you think.

You can go on and on about who had the better line and who was more important in their teams winning or losing and what happened there, and it's even worse if you throw in statistics, number of yards (were they important yards? did they come at a needed time? in garbage time?) avg number of yards, and less importantly what team won-something that could be totally out of the control of one guy--the running back.

Thanks for the comment. Perhaps I should explain what I try to do in my posts on historical topics. There are two ways of looking at history. One, is to be a partisan. Two, is to look at both sides of the issue. While I am pro-white athlete, I look at both sides. If I think Davis' playoff performance was a little better than Riggins', I say so.

In the years I've posted here, I have mentioned white athletes others had never heard of. For example, when I posted that Keith Lincoln was on a Top 10 list, a poster said "who's he?"

On a career basis, I rate Riggins ahead of Davis.

white is right

Hall of Famer

There aren't any 2-14 teams in the playoffs. The year Jamal Lewis rushed for 2K. He had 400 against the expansion Cleveland Browns. He went from an excellent 1600+ yard season to an outstanding 2K season off of one team. Also you have poorer weather in northern cities which in the past limited offenses.

Don't worry about Terrell Davis and the HOF, he's got the "right" skin color, he'll get in eventually. Especially as years go by and DWF's look back longingly at his years of exception.

John Riggins was admitted to the HOF in 1992, his second year of eligibility. Terrell Davis has been eligible since 2007 and hasn't come close.

Because the league has been heavily blackened since 1985, white HOF candidates, except for an occasional QB, are going to be rare. There won't be that many white Seniors nominees either as time goes on.

There aren't any 2-14 teams in the playoffs. The year Jamal Lewis rushed for 2K. He had 400 against the expansion Cleveland Browns. He went from an excellent 1600+ yard season to an outstanding 2K season off of one team. Also you have poorer weather in northern cities which in the past limited offenses.

At the PFRA Forum, some posters of which are close to the HOF selectors, they say Jamal Lewis will never be seriously considered for the HOF even though he once rushed for 2000 yards. Neither will Eddie George, Ricky Watters, or Herschel Walker.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
At the PFRA Forum, some posters of which are close to the HOF selectors, they say Jamal Lewis will never be seriously considered for the HOF even though he once rushed for 2000 yards. Neither will Eddie George, Ricky Watters, or Herschel Walker.
That's a relief!

wile

Master
Barry Sanders got -3 yards in a playoff game versus GB, sucks to be on a bad team if your great.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Barry Sanders got -3 yards in a playoff game versus GB, sucks to be on a bad team if your great.

Pack got smart. The year before that in another Wild card game he scorched them for 169 yds. The Pack also won that game though on a 40 yd strike from Brett Favre to Sterling Sharpe with 55 seconds left. Part of the Favre legacy. It was the only good game for Sanders in his 4 post season appearances. He never played well in big games it seemed, not like the Lions had many. Teams would key on him exclusively although I'm sure they do that with every good running back.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
That list isn't too bad, except where's Paul Hornung? IMHO, Csonka and Riggins are the best.

You have to mention both Paul Hornung and Jim Taylor on a list like this. Hornung won the Sport magazine car as MVP of the 1961 NFL Championship game. He gained 20-89 yards with one TD, plus 3 field goals and 4 extra points.

Taylor was MVP of the 1965 championship win over the Browns. Hornung had 18-105 that day and Taylor was 27-96 and kept moving the chains.

Jim Taylor went over 100 yards in the Packers 1960 championship loss to the Eagles and scored the only TD in the 1962 win over the Giants. He always had a good day in title games as well as Super Bowl I, in which Taylor scored the first rushing TD in a Super Bowl game.

Terrell Davis recently signed a two-year contract with the NFL Network as a "reporter and analyst." He will supposedly have more to do than in a previous stint with the network.

I recall Don writing that nearly every "name" black player gets hired by the NFL Network after he retires.