Texas vs The Nation game

Gi-15

Mentor
seems like D. Amendola is doing good at practice!

nfl draft guys report

Danny Amendola, Texas Tech

Showed terrific natural hands, great ability to throttle down and burst out of breaks, outstanding body control, good routes with good footwork and no false steps, quicker than advertised. Made up for lack of physical gifts with heady play - really looked like a clone of Wes Welker.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i'm liking it!
smiley32.gif

devans

Mentor
A good write up. But even a positive write up of a white player has to mention the obligatory "lack of physical gifts", and making up for that with "heady play". I wish I had had Amendolas' lack of physical gifts when I was in my twenties!
How can you have great ability to throttle down and burst out of breaks, outstanding body control, good footwork and no false steps, and be quicker than advertised. But still have a lack of physical gifts?
Is there a college somewhere were all these journalists and scouts are trained?
Or am I missing something? Perhaps this writer is correct. Is he painfully thin, or perhaps 5 foot seven inches tall, does he have only one eye? What is he lacking exactly?

backrow

Hall of Famer
well, according to his draft profile, his 40 is 4.48, so if he is quicker than advertised he must be even faster than that!
smiley2.gif
how's that for this "giftless" athlete.

Gi-15

Mentor
I don't think it's much of a deal, those are the usual cliché, I'm happy to see that he is standing out, because he is pretty much off the radar on every draft site

Mike

Guru
Usually I hate it when one white wide receiver is compared to another, but considering Welker was another under-the-radar TTU guy and they both really do play the same kind of game (precise in and out of breaks, quick in the open field, sure hands) the comparison is more than appropriate. Amendola is a guy who is going to become one of those real popular late round sleepers because of what Welker proved in the NFL this year. a lot of credit has to go to Mike Leach I think; the guy really gets wide receivers ready to play.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Good analysis Mike, but I think Amendola is faster than Welker. Welker ran a 4.61 at his Proday I believe. I expect Amendola to run around a 4.50-4.55 at the combine which times slower than Prodays b/c of the surface and the fact that it is electronicly timed. Comparing Amendola's quickness and route running ability to Welker is definitely a plus though, I agree.

Welker very well may be the quickest player in the league in my opinion. Welker lead the league in yards after catch even though he only averaged 10.5 yards per catch. Welker is basically a shifty-lightning-quick scat back playing WR.

You don't hear scouts say shifty-lightning-quick scat backs Amhad Bradshaw of the Giants or Brian Westbrook of the Eagles "lack physical gifts" even though they are small and only ran a 4.55 at the NFL combine. There is a clear double standard between the cliches of white and black players.

devans said:
A good write up. But even a positive write up of a white player has to mention the obligatory "lack of physical gifts", and making up for that with "heady play". I wish I had had Amendolas' lack of physical gifts when I was in my twenties!
How can you have great ability to throttle down and burst out of breaks, outstanding body control, good footwork and no false steps, and be quicker than advertised. But still have a lack of physical gifts?
Is there a college somewhere were all these journalists and scouts are trained?
Or am I missing something? Perhaps this writer is correct. Is he painfully thin, or perhaps 5 foot seven inches tall, does he have only one eye? What is he lacking exactly?

Very astute observation. It seems that it is obligatory for a writer to note that a white athlete "lacks speed", "lacks athleticism", "lacks physical gifts". Are not the ability "to burst out of breaks" and "outstanding body control" physical gifts, or did i miss something in my sport science classes? This writer must have gone to the same school as the nitwit who wrote that Brian Hartline, who was a double state champion in the hurdles, "lacks breakaway speed". Why does he lack "breakaway speed"? My guess is only because he is Caucasian. i sincerely doubt that it would have been written if Hartline were Negro.

Also, this is very appropriate for the "Media Stereotyping and Racism" thread and should, ideally, be posted here AND there.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Danny Amendola led all receivers in the game with 3 catches for 72 yards and a TD, Corey Lynch had an interception!
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Cool deal backrow! I'm glad Danny had a good game.