Teddy Atlas

freedom1

Mentor
Pride, the Chamber of Truth, and Why Teddy Atlas won't let Povetkin fight Klitschko!
By Dave Cacciatore - The biggest risk in life can be the one not taken. You might wonder if Teddy Atlas has ever heard this old saying. As it seems puzzling that his charge, a soon to be 31 year old, Olympic gold medalist, with an undefeated professional record is turning down a shot at the consensus World Heavyweight Champion Wladimir Klitschko and the largest payday of his career. To ask the question in Staten Island vernacular, what gives Teddy?

You have to doubt that even Alexander Povetkin has the answer to this question. After bursting onto the professional boxing scene his star has begun to wane.. Early victories over tough veterans and a streak of decisive wins in 2007 and early 2008 over a very good fighter in Larry Donald, a former world champion in Chris Byrd, and a top young contender in Chris Chambers seem like a distant memories now. The career progression has fallen off. Povetkin has gone back to fighting the same solid veterans that he began his career fighting. Included in the Povetkin wane is the unexercised IBF mandatory challenger designation that he earned in January 2008.

Further Povetkin is no longer the new sports car speeding off the lot in the heavyweight division. Younger fighters like Denis Boytsov, Robert Helenius, and even Odlainer Solis are starting to make noise. But without question former cruiserweight champions David Haye and Tomasz Adamek have stolen Povetkin's momentum. Even HBO with their recent anti-heavyweight stance has admitted that a potential Klitschko versus Haye fight would be a draw that they would be willing to open up the checkbook to see. While at the same time they were unwilling to even show a tape delay broadcast of the proposed Klitschko-Povetkin fight.

What can be done about it? Nothing! The clock is not going backwards for Povetkin. He had a long amateur career for a heavyweight and is now approaching his twentieth pro fight. Who Povetkin is as a fighter is set. Minor adjustments and strategy aside, this is as good as he is going to get. Povetkin is a normal sized 6'2 and 225 pound heavyweight. Those size fighters have shorter shelf lives at the top than the taller outside fighters who can control the action at distance. In the words of the great Emanuel Steward, he is a youth and aggression fighter. And someone needs to break it to Alexander that his youth is fading.

And while his youth is fading, so are his chances at big paydays. Aside from the Klitschko brothers, there are no other big money fights out there for him with the possible exception of the reluctant David Haye. If boxing is a business then you have to wonder about the management of Mr. Povetkin. The name of the game is to make money and win world titles (and in that order!)

To be sure, Povetkin's odds of defeating either Klitschko would be long. However, this is as good it is going to get if you really want to be a world champion. There is nothing that additional fights against the likes of Javier Mora and Taurus Sykes are going to do to prepare him.

The true test of any teacher is not what they say but what they do. And when it comes to Teddy Atlas we seem to hear one thing and see another. How many times has the boxing public heard Teddy Atlas on TV bemoaning fighters that are not being stepped in class? If Alexander Povetkin were someone else's fighter this would be that moment Teddy Atlas is so fond of talking about. It is the moment when you enter that chamber of truth with the number one fighter in the world and we find out how good you really are.

Yet recent history teaches us that Teddy is much more anxious about seeing other fighters make that big step up than his own. Elvir Muriqi never made the move to the big time under Atlas. Michael Grant fought a parade of clubbers before being knocked out by a solid fighter in Dominick Guinn. And now Atlas seems to have put Povetkin on the same steady diet of journeymen. Why is Teddy Atlas doing this?

If the answer is that it is clearly not best for Mr. Povetkin, then the only conclusion is that it must be what is best for Mr. Atlas. A man whose ego is as fragile as it is opinionated. A man who was the son of a prominent New York doctor. A man who has spent the better part of his life trying to prove that he is a tough guy from the toughest city in the world. The decision not to fight Wladimir Klitschko has everything to do with protecting the psychological health of the man with towel over his shoulder and not the one with the gloves on his fists. The myth of Teddy Atlas sage trainer and tough guy must be protected at all cost even if that means that Alexander Povetkin loses the biggest opportunity of his life.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
We all knew Atlas would screw Alexander. The cowardly Jew will destroy him! As Parody mentioned Atlas is an idiot who has been around boxing for decades yet doesn't know how to score a fight accurately!

This fits the Jews agenda perfectly. Make sure the next great white heavyweight has no future.
Edited by: whiteathlete33

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
That's a very good article.
smiley20.gif

I was pleasantly surprised to see something so honest about Teddy Atlas on eastsideboxing.

freedom1

Mentor
Yeah, despite what the Jewish controlled media leads people to believe, the Klitchkos are all time greats. Atlas knows as good as Povetkin is, he can't beat Wlad, so for Teddy to save his own pride, he prevents Povetkin from the experience and the pay day. This is a chance for Povetkin to get some rubles put away for when he's done boxing and get valuable experience fighting one of the most talented boxers who has ever lived.

From my own selfish standpoint, I was happy not to see Wlad and Povetkin clash. I'd get more personal satisfaction seeing the much improved Wlad beat on the declining Peter, and see Povetkin take over later. After reading this article, I think this may be wrong, self centered thinking.

Povetkin has earned a shot, and I hope he gets it soon.

The Hock

Master
I didn't realize Povetkin was that old. At this point he pretty much is what he is.

Several posters predicted things would get weird for him with Atlas in his camp. They were right.Edited by: The Hock

JReb1

Mentor
If Wlad fights until he's 40 than AP will be 38 and too old to take over the HW division. AP is the 3rd best HW right now and it's TIME to see if can at least be competitive with the #1a or 1b KlitschkO's.

If AP can get a decent money and more winnable fight with Haye or Adamek only then would avoiding the Klits make ANY sense. Those would be 2 really good matchups for Povetkin IMO.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I really don't get this blame Teddy crap. AP is a grown man and experience fighter. He should have fired Atlas and got a new trainer, say Freddie Roach or Roger Bloodworth. Then follow through on the Wlad fight. I know alot of you hate Atlas with some reason, but trying to blame his soley without any falling on AP is laughable.

I forgot, who is the employer and employee. If AP never gets a shot at the title, he has no one to blame except himself.

JReb1

Mentor
If AP doesn't think Wlad is a winnable fight for him he should go after the much more winnable fight with (the so-called paper champion) Haye. If AP thinks he can beat Wlad than he should just take the fight regardless of what Teddy says. I'm sure AP will have no problem finding another trainer to train him for a Championship fight if TA doesn't want too...
Edited by: JReb1

Westside said:
I really don't get this blame Teddy crap. AP is a grown man and experience fighter. He should have fired Atlas and got a new trainer, say Freddie Roach or Roger Bloodworth. Then follow through on the Wlad fight. I know alot of you hate Atlas with some reason, but trying to blame his soley without any falling on AP is laughable.

I forgot, who is the employer and employee. If AP never gets a shot at the title, he has no one to blame except himself.
It's not that easy, As many in the business world have found out.

boxing is a business, if Povetkin has put his name on a contract with Atlas, he can't just say "Your fired!" you can have a "breach of contract" and a court can award damages to Atlas..........

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I knew Atlas would screw him. How did Teddy do for Donny Lalonde, Michael Grant and Elvir Muriqi? Why did all these guys leave Teddy?

Povetkin should have taken the payday, gained experience and learned from the fight. Alex is a small heavyweight and could well get upset by a Boytsov, Dimitrenko or Helenius.

I wish Povetkin the best but fear time is passing him by. Fighting Robert Hawkins/Taurus Sykes type journeyman 2 or 3 times a year is not doing him any good.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
JReb1 said:
If Wlad fights until he's 40 than AP will be 38 and too old to take over the HW division. AP is the 3rd best HW right now and it's TIME to see if can at least be competitive with the #1a or 1b KlitschkO's.

If AP can get a decent money and more winnable fight with Haye or Adamek only then would avoiding the Klits make ANY sense. Those would be 2 really good matchups for Povetkin IMO.

He's the third or possibly 4th best heavyweight. Adamek needs to be in mix too.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
I knew Atlas would screw him. How did Teddy do for Donny Lalonde, Michael Grant and Elvir Muriqi? Why did all these guys leave Teddy?

Povetkin should have taken the payday, gained experience and learned from the fight. Alex is a small heavyweight and could well get upset by a Boytsov, Dimitrenko or Helenius.

I wish Povetkin the best but fear time is passing him by. Fighting Robert Hawkins/Taurus Sykes type journeyman 2 or 3 times a year is not doing him any good.
smiley123.gif

I knew when I first read Povetkin had hired Teddy that he'd made a big mistake. Povetkin was eager to fight Wlad before he hired Atlas, and was fighting decent opponents like Chambers and Estrada. Since then, he's fought backed out of fighting Wlad and fought just two clubfighters, Mora and Nolan. Sasha is wasting his prime.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
If he's not ready for Wlad now then when will he be ready? When he's in his mid-thirties? He already has 19 pro fights under his belt and a good amateur background. He's in his prime right now. Atlas is a brain damaged moron.

JReb1

Mentor
whiteathlete33 said:
JReb1 said:

He's the third or possibly 4th best heavyweight. Adamek needs to be in mix too.

True but I give the slight edge to AP right now because he's been a HW longer and has beaten better HW's than TA has IMHO. I like them both though and think a match between them would be extremely exciting and I would make AP a slight favorite but I wouldn't be surprised if TA won.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Adamek has 42 pro fights and Povetkin has only 19 though his amateur background is impressive. It's tough to call whose the better fighter between the two of them. Only a fight would give us a definitive answer to that question.

JReb1

Mentor
lost said:
Westside said:

It's not that easy, As many in the business world have found out.

boxing is a business, if Povetkin has put his name on a contract with Atlas, he can't just say "Your fired!" you can have a "breach of contract" and a court can award damages to Atlas..........

Povetkin doesn't have to fire Atlas, he can just tell Teddy that he's fighting AP whether he likes it or not and Teddy will have to choose to either train AP or quit, so their contract is irrelevant if AP wants to fight Wlad against Teddy's wishes.

ww

Guru

Liverlips said:
I knew Atlas would screw him. How did Teddy do for Donny Lalonde...

How did he do for Lalonde?  He procured a handgun and went looking for him with the intention of murdering him.  He admitted this.  Atlas is a psycho street criminal with a  long arrest record.  The only thing that kept him from a long stretch in the pen is his rich Jewish doctor daddy, and rich daddy got him on tv too, just like Little Bug Eyes' rich Jewish daddy.  Atlas fits right in with the criminal world of those who run boxing.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
True, but Teddy also pulled a gun on Mike Tyson when he found out Tyson was trying to molest underage girls, which I give him credit for.

white is right

Hall of Famer
It's well known that Atlas put a gun to the head of Tyson after Tyson tried to physically assault his underage sister in law. Tyson froze and backed off course. After that incident Atlas was out and Rooney was in as the main trainer of Tyson.

ww

Guru
"Theodore A. Atlas, Jr. (b. 29 July 1956, in Staten Island, New York) is a well-known boxing trainer and fight commentator. The son of a doctor, Atlas grew up in a middle class neighborhood in Staten Island. By his own admission, Atlas was a somewhat troubled, rebellious youth. He dropped out of school and was arrested several times, once serving time on Riker's Island..."

"Atlas became an assistant to D'Amato, and he occasionally helped in the training of protege Mike Tyson. However, Atlas felt Cus D'Amato ought to discipline the young Tyson for his frequent bouts of petty thuggery and clashes with police. He finally took matters into his own hands after Tyson had allegedly tried to force himself on Atlas' 13 year old niece. Atlas confronted Tyson and put a gun to the 15 year-old's head, firing off a bullet. Atlas was 26 at the time, and D'Amato threw him out of his upstate camp."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_Atlas

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Hot lead trumps a monsterous uppercut every time.

Teddy Atlas treats the Klitschko's in many ways the same way his co-tribesman treat hardworking white gentile men in the real world. Whereas in the real world white gentile men keep all your various western developed countries (CODE WORD FOR WHITE COUNTRIES)functioning and are then belittled and harangued by those same forces that benefit the most from that work.

It is no surprise that the majority of the products (meaning people) of this defective modern day white western culture from England to Australia and everything in between despise these two white wariors.

The Klitschko brothers in many ways are everything that whitemen once were, but are no more in all too many cases. (Although I believe our people still possess that greatness)

For the men who own our respective media these two brothers are the worst thing that has happened in boxing.

I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that if you had a coal black Heavyweight Champion from Nigeria routinely destroying blonde hair blue eyed challengers that it would be plastered on the frontpage of the sports section for ALL white sports fans to admire. In fact, I believe not only would a hypothetical black Champion have his fight results on the front page......you can also bet that the whiteman he had beaten would be photographed on his back or on his knees for all the world to see. Image is everything, and the powers that be LOVE to show the whiteman inferior any way they can. What defines that better than a photo. On a sidenote: Even the publications that cover the victories of the klitschko brothers will rarely EVER show a pic of Wlad pumping his arms in victory with a black opponent broken and beaten lying at his feat. You just won't see that image relayed to the world. It is the exact opposite of the image that is desireable for our would be masters.

Edited by: aussieaussie31

aussieaussie31 said:
Teddy Atlas treats the Klitschko's in many ways the same way his co-tribesman treat hardworking white gentile men in the real world. Whereas in the real world white gentile men keep all your various western developed countries (CODE WORD FOR WHITE COUNTRIES)functioning and are then belittled and harangued by those same forces that benefit the most from that work.

It is no surprise that the majority of the products (meaning people) of this defective modern day white western culture from England to Australia and everything in between despise these two white wariors.

The Klitschko brothers in many ways are everything that whitemen once were, but are no more in all too many cases. (Although I believe our people still possess that greatness)

For the men who own our respective media these two brothers are the worst thing that has happened in boxing.

I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that if you had a coal black Heavyweight Champion from Nigeria routinely destroying blonde hair blue eyed challengers that it would be plastered on the frontpage of the sports section for ALL white sports fans to admire. In fact, I believe not only would a hypothetical black Champion have his fight results on the front page......you can also bet that the whiteman he had beaten would be photographed on his back or on his knees for all the world to see. Image is everything, and the powers that be LOVE to show the whiteman inferior any way they can. What defines that better than a photo. On a sidenote: Even the publications that cover the victories of the klitschko brothers will rarely EVER show a pic of Wlad pumping his arms in victory with a black opponent broken and beaten lying at his feat. You just won't see that image relayed to the world. It is the exact opposite of the image that is desireable for our would be masters.
Good post! I remembr after Ray Mercer knocked out Tommy Morrison, ESPN showed the highlights over and over for a week or more, it was also on the cover of the Ring, and i believe KO mag too...Edited by: lost

The Hock

Master
aussieaussie31 said:
in the real world white gentile men keep all your various western developed countries (CODE WORD FOR WHITE COUNTRIES)functioning and are then belittled and harangued by those same forces that benefit the most from that work.

/QUOTE]

You're absolutley right Aussie. We're being flooded by leeches, parasites, and wannabes. And then they have the nerve.

How much longer we're gonna play along with them, I don't know.

Edited by: The Hock