Super Bowl XIV On NFL Network

On Saturday, May 29, the NFL Network is showing Super Bowl XIV Between the Steelers and the LA Rams at 8 PM ET, with a repeat at 12 AM ET. The Steelers were trying for their fourth SB win. The Rams were heavy underdogs but led early in the 4th quarter. This is the game Ram DE Jack Youngblood played with a broken ankle.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
SH, I believe former pro "wrassler" Leon White (aka "Big Van Vader") played for the Rams during/in SB 14.
smiley2.gif

Big-Van-Vader-professional-wrestling-4199537-800-600.jpg

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

DixieDestroyer said:
SH, I believe former pro "wrassler" Leon White (aka "Big Van Vader") played for the Rams during/in SB 14.
smiley2.gif

Big-Van-Vader-professional-wrestling-4199537-800-600.jpg

White was drafted by the Rams in 1978, but was never on the active roster in either the regular season or the playoffs.

They showed the game into early in the 3rd quarter when the Steelers went ahead 17-13. They then stopped as if they had lost the tape. Then 15 minutes of the 1995 Cowboys are shown. Now, they are showing the 2009 Saints-Viking NFL Championship. Where is Super Bowl XIV? No explanation given by the NFL Network.

Now they are back with Super Bowl XIV at Bradshaw's 73 yard TD pass to Stallworth. You miss a quarter and a half. No apology or explanation.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
SH, thanks for the clarification. I used to be a big "pro wrasslin" & a fan of White (aka - "Vader") known for his in ring "stiffness".
smiley2.gif

The repeat showing had the whole game in sequence. The reasons the 70s Rams never won a Super Bowl were on display, first of all, the special teams. With one exception, the Steelers ran every Ram kickoff back to nearly mid-field.

Ram placekicker, Frank Corrall, came in with 9 straight misses from 30 yards and over. On this day, he missed an extra point, which always hurts in a close game. Each of the Ram kickers during the decade, Ray, Dempsey, Septien, and Corrall, could miss from any distance. Ironically, Rafael Septien, did better with the Cowboys after being cut in favor of Corrall in 1978.

Ram safety Nolan Cromwell dropped an interception. The ball hit him right in the hands with nothing between him and the goal line. It would have put the Rams up 26-17 midway in the third quarter.

After Terry Bradshaw hit John Stallworth with the long TD, the Rams drove into Steeler territory. Ram QB Vince Ferragamo, who had started around half a dozen games, had been playing as well or better than Bradshaw. Unfortunately, he threw a bad pass right to Steeler MLB Jack Lambert. This broadcast didn't show it, but Billy Waddy was wide open in the end zone.

Another oddity is that the Rams were only 9-7. Of their 7 divisional winners from 1973-79, this team was the weakest and the only one to make the Super Bowl. Super Bowl XIV was considered with its several lead changes the most exciting up to that time.

foreverfree

Mentor
Were there any overt expressions of negritude in SB XIV? Did negritude run nearly as rampant 30 years ago as today?

John

guest301

Hall of Famer
DixieDestroyer said:
SH, thanks for the clarification. I used to be a big "pro wrasslin" & a fan of White (aka - "Vader") known for his in ring "stiffness".
smiley2.gif

Vader is probably the quickest and most agile 400 pounder I have ever seen wrestle. He played the "heel" role pretty well and was good on the mic.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
DixieDestroyer said:
smiley2.gif

Vader is probably the quickest and most agile 400 pounder I have ever seen wrestle. He played the "heel" role pretty well and was good on the mic.

Indeed. Vader was one of my favorite heel "wrasslers" (along with Sid Vicious, Rick Rude, Flair, Nikita Koloff & "Captain Redneck" Dick Murdoch
smiley2.gif
).

The NFL Network is running the live broadcast of Super bowl XIV at 1am ET tonight. The Rams won 7 straight divisional titles from 1973-79, but 1979 was the only year they made the Super Bowl. Oddly, the weakest team of the seven made the big game.

In the regular season that year the Rams lost to Tampa Bay and Dallas by blowouts on the road. They defeated both on the road in the 1979 NFC playoffs. The Rams lost their starting QB, a starting OT and both WR's by injury. Several other players had injury problems. Perennial all-pro DE Jack Youngblood played the NFC Championship game and the Super Bowl with a broken leg. Despite all this, the Rams led after 3 quarters and might have won.

In 1978, the Rams had some morale problems, partly from losing every year in the playoffs, also for other reasons.

Linebacker Isiah Robertson criticized his teammates in a magazine article. The white Ram players hated Robertson's guts. He lost his OLB position to Bob Brudzinski in training camp in 1978, but was given back the job after George Allen was fired after two preseason games, a move disliked by the Ram white defensive players.

Robertson got into a fight with Center Rich Saul. Robertson lost the fight. John Cappelletti thought that Lawrence McCutcheon didn't block for him the way he did for McCutcheon. This caused a tense situation in the Ram locker romm in 1978.

The above information came from 1978 Pro Football Weekly issues, the October 1979 Pro Football Monthly, and Sport Magazine articles.

By 1979, Robertson had been traded to Buffalo. Cappelletti was injured and out for the season and would be traded to San Diego. Wendell Tyler replaced McCutcheon as the main ball carrier.

Vince Ferragamo had only started a few games going into Super Bowl XIV, but played well until the interception in the 4th quarter.

The NFL Network has a program called "Fan's Choice" on Saturday nights. This Saturday night, June 4, Super Bowl XIV Steelers-Rams is on at 8pm ET. Super Bowl XX, the Bears 46-10 blowout over the Patriots, is on at 12am ET.

Borussia

Guru
Hey SH, I really appreciate these historical antecedents; I find them fascinating.
There is always some sort of back story and context for a lot of football teams, including complex locker room politics, roles and yes, racial relationships/loyalty.
Some teams and players have it better then others obviously.
It may be cliche, but some teams have a certain principle of true loyalty to the team. This I propose is due to historical precedent and often ownership ideology.
It's all very, very subtle.

Things in the locker room have changed drastically in the last 20 or 30 years, as society in general has clearly changed for the worse (read more anti-White)...there are glimmers of hope and people 'in the know' become a sort of unwritten about, invisible 'holy warrior' carrying the mantle of strong White Manism.

Bob Kraft and NE are generally a subtle example of fostering a fair and balanced locker room.

Do you know its not uncommon for certain NFL teams to have 'White Boy' Wednesday for the locker room/weight training music?

Most of the time, it's hip hop and gangsta rap.
Of course there exists a social hierarchy that is not always based upon internal racial politics.
Yet this is rare and you are talking about the elite of the elite or 'kings' if you will of the team: Brees, Manning, Brady, Favre (before the last couple years debacle).
Hillis has the potential to enter this realm.

SH, any comments of the 70s Vikings teams? They were overall quite White friendly, of course the front 4 were the leaders. I understand that Page, Marshall, and Eller were all very respected and fair with everyone.

Is this true?

Borussia said:
Hey SH, I really appreciate these historical antecedents; I find them fascinating.
There is always some sort of back story and context for a lot of football teams, including complex locker room politics, roles and yes, racial relationships/loyalty.
Some teams and players have it better then others obviously.
It may be cliche, but some teams have a certain principle of true loyalty to the team. This I propose is due to historical precedent and often ownership ideology.
It's all very, very subtle.

Things in the locker room have changed drastically in the last 20 or 30 years, as society in general has clearly changed for the worse (read more anti-White)...there are glimmers of hope and people 'in the know' become a sort of unwritten about, invisible 'holy warrior' carrying the mantle of strong White Manism.

Bob Kraft and NE are generally a subtle example of fostering a fair and balanced locker room.

Do you know its not uncommon for certain NFL teams to have 'White Boy' Wednesday for the locker room/weight training music?

Most of the time, it's hip hop and gangsta rap.
Of course there exists a social hierarchy that is not always based upon internal racial politics.
Yet this is rare and you are talking about the elite of the elite or 'kings' if you will of the team: Brees, Manning, Brady, Favre (before the last couple years debacle).
Hillis has the potential to enter this realm.

SH, any comments of the 70s Vikings teams? They were overall quite White friendly, of course the front 4 were the leaders. I understand that Page, Marshall, and Eller were all very respected and fair with everyone.

Is this true?

Yes, as far as I can determine the Vikings had a good team chemistry. Bud Grant stayed with his veteran players a long time, although he and Alan Page had a falling out that led to Page being dealt to the Bears in 1978. There was nothing "racial" about it as far as I know. Bud Grant thought Page had lost too much weight to play the defensive tackle position.

Fran Tarkenton was traded back to the Minnesota in 1972 and played through 1978. Tarkenton was not especially well-liked by his teammates (both black and white), but they played hard anyway. I have read this several times.

The Vikings of that era are known for losing 4 Super Bowls. They didn't play well in any of them. In four games, the Vikings never scored a point in the first half. In Super Bowls VIII, IX, and XI they were killed on the ground as their famed front four couldn't stop the run.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Sucks that is the only footage people get to see of Craig James, his team played horrible, with the only qb to start a Superbowl and not complete a pass. He only had 5 rushing attempts that game. The two previous games he had back two back 100 yard games, very underrated back. Edited by: dwid