Strong correlation between being stupid and saying college athletes should be paid.

Fortitud3

Guru
CA9z8XnUMAA6rpQ.png:large

Majoring in a sport they play. Really who could be that stupid?

davidholly

Mentor
A basic look at the economics will show how stupid it is. They get room and board in a usually mid-major city paid for them. That's like $1500/month. They get an education, that's like $20k/year.

So let's do some quick math:
1500*12+20000=38000/year

Now on the other hand if universities had to pay athletes they'd probably cease doing all that. So let's think about how much the average college athlete is worth.

The AFL minimum salary is $31,000 but the median is like $45,000. Keep in mind that many of the AFL's players are former college standouts. The average college football player isn't a standout though, you're more likely to be a bench warmer than a standout.

So the average CFB player is worth signifigantly less than $45,000/year. Even being generous and saying they're worth $25,000/year on average, they're still significantly worse off than they were before.

Now let's focus on college basketball:

The NBA D-league pays it's players a max of $25,000/year but an average of $19,000/year. Housing is provided for them though so let's say they get a total of about $37,000 per year.

Just like the AFL, the D-league is filled with college standouts. Just like college football college basketball has far more bench warmers than standouts.

So let's be generous again and say the average CBB player is worth $19,000, once again they're worse off.

davidholly

Mentor
What a lot of these athletes don't realize is that the consumer isn't watching the sport for them. They're watching the sport for their team and the sport itself. Outside of athletes like Tebow or Manziel most players are easily replaceable.

icsept

Master
It's real simple: if you don't want to be a college athlete with free room, board, tuition, meals, coaching, tutors, trainers, health care, pussy, travel, gear/swag, publicity, and notoriety...then quit the team and get a job at McDonald's.

..a lot of these athletes don't realize the consumer isn't watching the sport for them. They're watching the sport for their team and the sport itself...

Great posts ^. I think your point's especially valid during this time of year. Seems like a big component of the March 'Madness' is spectators watching to see unknown players & squads upset favorites. Outside of partisan alumni, fans seem actually more interested in watching the small names over the regular season stars.

I also agree w/your point that college athletes are generally getting good compensation for their play. Likely a better deal than they would out in the regular world, working somewhere fresh out of high school. So it is kinda hard to empathize with those who complain. But I do think the rules for the NFL draft should create an option for guys to take a chance of bypassing the collegiate farm system, and going straight pro if desired. I think now they're denied that chance to make big $ right away. You'd still have a great college level without pay.. with a door open for select guys who can go straight to making $. But I may not understand all the current conditions for NFL eligibility (?)