Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Cormier

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Here's the card for tomorrow's Strikeforce HW World Grand Prix final in San Jose, CA....

Main card (Showtime)

Preliminary card (Showtime Extreme)

http://www.strikeforce.com/event/Strikeforce1

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Strikeforce-Barnett-vs-Cormier-Preview-42761

***The Dixieland outlaw will be pulling for Barnett (vs. afrolete Cormier), Thomson (vs. mestizo Melendez), Spang (vs. afflete Burrell), Vallie-Flagg, Mehmen, and Terry (vs. afflete Green).

Hawkeye2

Mentor
While I think Barnett would destroy Overeem, I think he is going to have trouble with Cormier just because his superior wrestling.

Zeus

Guru
I believe that Josh will completely dominate and destroy that fat piece of joke that Cormier is. I consider Josh one of the greatest Heavyweights ever, he has a very unique set of tools that would give a problem to any heavyweight in history, including a prime Fedor.
Cormier is going to be emasculated, just my opinion.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Barnett should win but he is getting a bit old and has been in some tough fights.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Good night so far for our guys. Vallie-Flagg edged Cavalcante and Spang KTFO Burrell in round 1! Didn't see it but heard if was pretty violent - with knees.

James Terry lost a split decision to Green but MMAJunkie had our guy winning.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Thompson-Melendez another war! Josh almost had a rear naked choke in the 4th. Anyone's fight going to the final round.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Damn - Melendez won a split decision. Whites need to get KOs or taps to win close fights. The judges are not our friends.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Yeah, just hoping he catches him with something. Cormier is exhausted so we will see.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Cormier would have done the same to Fedor. His striking is good, but alot of that has to do with the fact that is wrestling is so good.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Oh well, maybe Mir can upset Dos Santos.

Otherwise, heavyweight is looking pretty bleak for whites.

Anak

Mentor
Oh well, maybe Mir can upset Dos Santos.

Otherwise, heavyweight is looking pretty bleak for whites.

Mir's not great. Any top 10 HW can beat him. If he becomes champion there will be great parity and he will for sure lose the belt anyway.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Mir is a top ten heavyweight.
I'm not crazy over Cormier by any means, I think JDS beats him, and apparently Cain dominates him at AKA. Comier is also 33 and has some health problems, so I don't know how long he is going to last. This is going to be a tough year because it is an Olympic year, so a lot of potential white talent is in the Olympics. Heavyweight wrestler I think could be in the UFC include Steve Mocco, A wrestling All-American and Judo Black Belt, Tervel Dlagnov, Les Sigman, Jared Zabriskie, Zach Rey, and Tony Nelson.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Here's the full card results...

Main card (Showtime)

Cormier defeated Barnett via unanimous decision (49–46, 50–45, 50–45) to become the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Tournament winner. :embarrassed:

Melendez defeated Thomson via split decision (47–48, 48–47, 48–47) to retain the Lightweight Championship. :icon_rolleyes:

Cavalcante defeated Kyle via submission (guillotine choke) at 0:33 of round 1.
Spang defeated Burrell via TKO (knees) at 3:25 of round 1. :thumbup:
Preliminary card (Showtime Extreme)

Vallie-Flagg defeated Cavalcante via split decision (29–28, 29–28, 28–29) :shy:

Inocente defeated Zwicker via unanimous decision (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)
Villante defeated Mehmen via unanimous decision (29–28, 30–27, 30–27). :icon_neutral:

Mulhern defeated Villefort via split decision (30–27, 28–29, 29–28).
Green defeated Terry via split decision (28–29, 29–28, 29–28).

I was worried that Hawkeye's suspicion that Cormier wins was correct...he was right. :embarassed:

frederic38

Hall of Famer
I mean isn't Dos Santos white? If I am not mistaken a good 48% of Brazilians are pure whites and Dos Santos himself has said on an interview that he's of Portuguese descent.

Well I have noticed before that when it comes to "whiteness" of people, I don't see eye to eye the issue with some of the members in here.

Some people separate white Latinos, Arabs, Albanians or even Turks (that I dislike with a passion for obvious historical reasons) but truth is that today only a 30% of Turks are descendants of Mongols, rest are either Armenians, Greeks, Bulgarians, Romanians etc aka white people who were stolen as young babies from their families during the Ottoman Empire and were raised as Muslim Turks. One could check that online, this thing was called "παιδομάζωμα". That's why you see Turks who look like Ozyl aka Mongol which is the minority and then you see Turks who have no difference with an Italian, Greek or a Spaniard or even blonde with blue eyes.

Anyways, back to the main topic, I do not think that the Heavyweight division is problematic for our guys, the top 10 is filled with our guys and Latinos ala Werdum and Velasquez who have a majority white blood in them obviously. There are only two Negroes in the top 10 and the one should be ousted since he got caught doing steroids.

I don't worry for most divisions in the UFC or Strikeforce, there are fighters from our guys who will become champion soon or later, the only division I worry is Light Heavyweight, it's full of Negroes, especially the champion who doesn't seem to lose anytime soon.
Hopefully Henderson can pull an upset, which I don't see.

brazilians can be white if they come from the south of brazil (like dos santos) otherwise they are just white looking mestizos
the 48% is exagerated and a great part of these 48% must be these white looking mestizos

for example these 2 identical twins: one is counted as white by the brazilian law, and the other as black

branco-pobre.jpg

the truth is that none of them is white

Zeus

Guru
Just finished watching Barnett's fight, really disappointing. :dizzy:

Barnett will never be a top level fighter again, the guy is done.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Dos Santos is white. But to the general public and DWFs he is "Hispanic." I like Junior a lot and was happy when he beat Brown Pride.

But perceptions are everything and to a DWF or general white sports fan watching in a bar while munching chips, guzzling cheap beer and wearing a Michael Vick jersey, Mir will be "the white guy."

Mir's dad is a white Cuban and his mom is Eastern European (I think Russian). With his blue eyes, tattoos and pale skin he is like any other white American. Plus, his persona is that of a biker and he has a white wife and kids. Most of his friends are white too.

I also disagree that Mir has no shot. If it goes to the ground Junior is in trouble. Frank's big weakness seems to be big, strong wrestlers (Brock, Carwin). Junior is a 240 lb striker with very good takedown defense but he is not a wrestler who can hold Frank down.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Josh broke his hand in the first round. Not sure how much difference it would have made but one judge gave him the first round and he had Cormier in trouble near the end of the round.

Barnett will not be UFC champion but he will beat most guys not in the top 3-5. One guy I'd give him a very good shot at beating is Overoid.

Anak

Mentor
I also disagree that Mir has no shot. If it goes to the ground Junior is in trouble. Frank's big weakness seems to be big, strong wrestlers (Brock, Carwin). Junior is a 240 lb striker with very good takedown defense but he is not a wrestler who can hold Frank down.

That's a weakness. He also is not great at striking, just good, but JDS is probably the best HW MMA striker by a wide margin. Mir was rocked hard by Big Nog and it was Big Nog that took it to the ground trying for a submission after he had Mir hurt. I rather doubt Nog is as good of a boxer as JDS and I doubt JDS will try to submit Mir rather than ground and pound or keep it on the feet.

Mir could win, but realistically he really shouldn't.

frederic38

Hall of Famer
Frederic, personally I wouldn't consider any of these two white, to me they both look Mixed people. I have been to Brazil twice and I believe that 48% might be realistic mate. You can find whites everywhere, literally.

I am referring to Brazilians who look white, now if some of them have 10% Amerindian I can't know, but when I see a guy like Kaka or Dos Santos or Shogun or the Brazilian of Chelsea last night (with the funny Afro hair) I see white men.

all the brazilian you mentionned are either from the south of brazil, or from sao paulo (except kaka, who is upper class so i don't know where he comes from)

the south of brazil is german+veneto+portuguese
the sao paulo area used to be mainly italian inmigrants
and in the rest of brazil, there are no real, legit whites