Street Fighting/Defense "Myths"

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Here's a good (but lengthy) list from Bob Pierce at TRS Direct on Street Fighting/defense "myths"...

Fight Myths

First let's start with some entertainment that doubles as education. I've listed some "fight myths"Â￾ that have been floating around for years. You'll now be one of the few people on earth who knows with 100% certainty that these "truths"Â￾ are really ugly rumors, urban myths, and just plain ol' damned lies.

Here they are:

1. Martial Artists Win Streetfights: Listen: I don't like to "knock" the martial arts. They all have something valuable to offer. We owe them a debt of gratitude for getting us where we are today, and they're better than nothing. BUT...unfortunately, many of the arts being widely taught today are ancient arts, developed for another time and place in history, for specific conditions and circumstances that simply do not exist in the world you'll be fighting in today.

As one instructor put it: "Martial Arts is what you do with somebody while street fighting is what you do to somebody." I wish I could take credit for that quote.

Okay"¦. There are really 4 types of martial arts schools out there:

* True Martial Arts - This is learning the "art"Â￾ for its own sake. Think of it like learning to sculpt or paint because you enjoy it as an artistic discipline â€" not because you're looking to become a highly-paid advertising mogul"¦
* MMA Schools â€" Refers to "sport fight"Â￾ training â€" which is NOT the same as studying street fighting. Remember that the ultimate goal in sports combat is NOT the same as a real street fight. In street fighting the goal is to "end the threat as quickly as possible"Â￾ â€" in MMA it's to "make money as quickly as possible"Â￾. Promoters don't want every fight to end in 3 to 6 seconds (as most street fights do), so they strip away the most effective fight moves.
* Martial Combat â€" This is the type of training (also known as true street fighting) that I cover in this guide. Martial Combat has one goal in mind â€" to end the threat as quickly as possible. There are NO rules â€" and every confrontation could end in serious injury or death.
* "Belt Factory"Â￾- I'm betting this is the kind of training with which you're most familiar. Which boy hasn't dreamed of one day emerging from a Dojo wearing a black belt and kicking ass on anyone who dares cross him? Which parent hasn't believed that the local dojo will help their son learn to defend himself? Well that's just plain false security because "belt factories"Â￾ aren't teaching an invincible Martial Combat streetfighting system. Nope"¦ sorry"¦ they are teaching Martial Arts. Nothing wrong with that, but one has little to do with the other.

Statistics show that your average "store front"Â￾ black belt does not have a much better chance at winning a street fight than any other average guy.

Shocked? Well don't be. Most martial arts concentrate on discipline and complicated "fine motor"Â￾ techniques that go straight out the window when "crunch time"Â￾ hits. And many martial arts techniques are simply no longer useful. Breaking pine boards in half for example was originally developed to train warriors how to shatter an opponent's protective wooden chest plate. Can't think of many street thugs today wearing that. The high flying roundhouse kick was developed to knock a man off his horse. Might work for a guy on his Harley"¦

2. The 5-Minute Fist Fight. This is a big one and it's important that you get this Hollywood version of fighting out of your head. We've all been exposed to movies where the hero is endlessly fist-fighting. Yes, one big-gulp and a large popcorn later, he's still going at it. But here's a reality check for you. Nearly every actual street fight lasts for no more than 3 to 8 seconds! That's right. It's all over with in less time than it took for you to read this paragraph. Once you understand this, you can appreciate just how little time you have to recognize what's going on and take decisive action to win. The key is what you do in the time leading up to that 3-8 seconds burst.

3. The One-Touch Death Move. This is a close cousin to the "One Touch Knock Out"Â￾, both of which are very misleading. It's time to stop concentrating on specific fight techniques and begin focusing in on key targets and strategies.

For example, it'd be tough for someone to sell you a "trademarked death blow"Â￾ that was nothing more than a simple shove -- wouldn't it? Yet this would indeed be a highly effective "death move"Â￾ if your opponent happened to be standing at the edge of a high cliff.

You see my point. Yes it is possible to kill an opponent with one punch. In fact, as there are situations where as little as 5-pounds of pressure can end up in death. But what I'm teaching you here is what's "probable" and not "possible"Â￾.

It's why you don't see basketball players taking most of their shots from half court. Sure, it's possible they'll make it, but a good driving lay-up is far more probable. If you follow some basic fight principles (which I'll cover in a little bit) it'll be highly probable that you'll win.

Oh"¦ and by the way"¦ there are no "trademarked"Â￾ fight moves â€" only trademarked fight names. And anyone can trademark a name. In fact, I'm considering trademarking that shove-em-off-the-cliff move as the "Bob Pierce's One-Touch Death Move"Â￾.

4. The Predictable Reaction. I hear this nonsense all the time and what's scary is that plenty of fight systems on the market today are based on this myth. It goes something like this; Hit him here, and he'll do this"¦ then strike him here, and he'll do that"¦ then throw a blow here, and he'll drop to the ground like a sack of potatoes. And that's it"¦ you win. Don't believe it. My research shows that you're in for a big surprise if you buy into this regimented "step-by-step"Â￾ theory of fighting. People â€" especially those facing a threatening and volatile situation â€" are wildly unpredictable.

5. The Man-To-Man Fight. Another grand illusion. Most guys imagine (and train for) a fight against one man. Well you can't depend on that. Stats prove that more times than not your opponent will have "back up"Â￾ â€" friends willing to help take you down and kick in your head. This is why it's critical that you first make quick and effective decisions early on to end the as fight quickly as possible and prepare for more than one adversary.

6. The Convenient Fighting Environment. Dojo training often lulls one into the sense that you'll always have plenty of fighting room"¦ that your opponent will calmly approach you, bow, and ask if you're ready"¦ and that the ground will always be nicely padded. The reality is different. I've found that most fights occur in tight quarters (a bathroom, between cars, etc), with little or no room for flying kicks or fancy moves. They'll be no light, furniture in the way, and rough concrete floors to strip meat off your bones. Ouch!

7. The "Undefeatable"Â￾ System. This is another good one. A series of fighting techniques that can't be beat -- yeah right. Don't believe it. As I've pointed out, fighting has more to do with proper target acquisition (i.e., hit him in the side of the neck where all the blood and nerves to his brain run), than it has to do with any specific moves and techniques (i.e., a spinning roundhouse kick). So the idea that a collection of techniques is "undefeatable"Â￾ just isn't possible.

Here's a question: What happens when two students of this "undefeatable system"Â￾ meet in a fight? Hmmm.Guess that means they'll be kicking their own asses.

8. The Floating Warrior. More Hollywood cult crap that you shouldn't buy into. There is simply no internal meditation or external training method that can defy the laws of physics. I've seen companies actually selling videos on how to "will"Â￾ yourself lighter (or heavier) so that you can float away, or can't be picked up, or some such thing. Well here's a shocker"¦ there's never been ANY proof that any of those techniques have ever worked.

But hang on"¦ the laws of physics are different than the laws of the human mind. Because surefooted confidence, clearly telecast "alpha signals"Â￾, and forcing an opponent "back on his heels"Â￾ can go miles to (1.) persuading an adversary (especially a "Predator"Â￾) that he shouldn't mess with you or (2.) ending the fight with YOU on top. I'll talk more about this in a bit, but for now, forget about floating through the treetops.

9. Most Fights Go To The Ground. Most guys are surprised to discover that this is a myth -- but it is. In fact, most street fights and personal combat situations do NOT end up on the ground. Yes, someone ends up on the ground alright, and it's the loser â€" with the winner (or winners) standing over him stomping on his head. So why is this myth so common? Well, it comes from the study of police reports. You see, most cops who struggle with an adversary end up on the ground.

Now hold on â€" doesn't that contradict what I just said? No, it doesn't. Because the goal of law enforcement is to "contain, control, comply"Â￾ (also known as the 3 C's) â€" which, by the way, requires more skill than simply winning a street fight. In other words a cop can't simply eye jab, ear slap, then move in for a knock-out head butt because a dangerous criminal is resisting. No, an officer's goal is NOT to end a fight in 3 seconds, but instead to use "reasonable and proportionate escalation of force"Â￾ to control and contain his subject.

This is different than what happens in a real world street fight and it's why the stats on "going to the ground"Â￾ have been skewed. Cops' rules of engagement are different â€" so, of the 70 DVD titles I've produced, about 15 of them are designed to help law enforcement address the more complex and highly effective "contain, control, and comply"Â￾ techniques.

Use these techniques on your drunken brother-in-law when you want him out of your house but don't want to hurt him too bad. When he sobers up he'll thank you for not landing him in the hospital.

10. Bullies Are Social Deviants and Cowards: On the contrary, recent studies suggest that the majority of bullies are often socially popular and often considered "successful"Â￾ in life. They typically are NOT outcasts, but in reality are often confident and popular. Over the course of a year, statistics show that 14% of boys have been a victim of bully threat or attack. I suspect the true percentage is much higher since there's a good number that won't raise their hand and gladly volunteer this information. "Oh yes... I've been humiliated. That's me."Â￾

You get the picture. This 14% represents boys who admitted being a victim.

Bullies get much satisfaction by hurting and humiliating people who don't accept their dominance. They WILL fight when challenged â€" so giving someone advice to "stand up to a bully"Â￾ will almost certainly mean a physical fight. That doesn't mean you shouldn't stand up to a bully, but it's good to know what you're in for. In other words â€" never bluff with a bully. If you stand up, you better be ready to fight. And bullies usually have some fight experience.

11. Diplomacy Works Best â€" It's a nice thought, but unfortunately your adversary is rarely a reasonable person. First let me cover the three types of opponents you'll face and what motivates them â€" then maybe you'll understand where diplomacy will work â€" and where it won't.

* The Bully â€" We covered this a bit already, but his primary motivation is to dominate you and prove that he's the "top-dog"Â￾. In other words, bullies pick fights to either protect or improve their "perceived"Â￾ social standing. Submitting to a bully's wishes can get you out of a fight, but if you're in a position where you need to demonstrate your own authority (a cop, a firefighter, a soldier leading men in combat, etc), simply submitting to a bully may not be a good option for you.
* The Predator â€" This is someone who's not necessarily looking for a fight, he's looking for something you've got. You have money... a car... a woman... something... and he wants it. Or perhaps you're caught up in the random violence of a gang "initiation"Â￾. Stats show that once you're targeted by this guy, you won't be able to "reason"Â￾ your way out of a fight. You've got two choices: 1.) give him what he wants, or... 2.) fight. If it's your wallet, throw it one way and run the other. If it's your wife or girlfriend he wants... well... I suspect you'll want to fight. And I'll cover some specifics on that topic in a bit. The predator is the least likely to be drawn into "diplomacy"Â￾.
* The "Emotionally Hijacked"Â￾ â€" Also known as a "badger"Â￾. This is the guy who explodes in anger because you cut him off in traffic... dinged his car... slighted him in front of his girlfriend... or told him he couldn't drink your last beer. It's likely that more than one person has suggested that he take on "anger management"Â￾ counseling (which he got angry about), as his behavior often runs to extremes. The good news is that the badger is one character who responds well to specific "reasoning"Â￾ methods. I cover those techniques in great detail in this book.

12.Your friends will back you up. Ha! I'm sad to say this is not true. We'd all like to believe our buddies will back us up, but research shows that they're more likely to pick their noses than pick a fight. In fact, crowd behavior studies show that the more friends and bystanders are hanging around, the less likely it is that you'll get help in a fight.

The technical term for this is "dilution of responsibility"Â￾, but I think they should change that name to something less technical like: "I thought someone else would take care of it"Â￾.

Now, on the other hand, if you have just ONE friend and no crowd of bystanders, you actually may get some help. But the facts have shown over and over that individuals inside a crowd are less likely to act.

A "gang"Â￾ mentality is different. They will back each other up because it's part of their "job"Â￾.

13. Ignore them and they'll go away: This is a common tactic, especially with women who feel they're being followed. They simply put on the blinders and hope for the best. "Oh goodness, I hope that bad man goes away"Â￾. Bad tactic. Don't ignore a predator you suspect is "scoping"Â￾ you. Believe it or not, your best bet is to let him know that you ARE aware of him.

Look at him directly. Watch him. Let him know you're aware of his presence. Once a predator suspects you know his real intentions, it strips away much of the motivation to attack since the element of surprise has been taken away â€" and surprise is one of the predator's most powerful tools. He knows he can't surprise you, and now you're perceived as less of an easy mark.

Of course eyeballing a bully will have the opposite effect and will probably result in the "what are YOU looking at?"Â￾ response. So this tactic is to be used when you suspect a predator.

14. Police are there to protect you: Now with all due respect to law enforcement, they are not your personal body guards. They can't be. Here are three reasons we have cops.

* Deterrence â€" This is their main purpose. They patrol the streets and convince less-than-stellar citizens that criminal activity is a bad idea -- not because it's wrong, but because they might get caught. Deterrence depends on people's reluctance to take a chance. It's like the store owner (and this is a true story) who kept getting robbed and ripped off, so he placed an obvious cardboard cutout of police officer in a highly visible part of his store. It completely eliminated the robberies and dramatically reduced shoplifting. It worked not because anyone was afraid of a cardboard cutout, but because it placed a seed of doubt in the mind of the potential criminal.
* Mop up â€" Okay... this sounds lousy, but much of a cop's time is spent traveling to crime scenes, talking with victims, writing up reports and "mopping up"Â￾ the blood. Now this has almost nothing to do with preventing crimes, except for the fact that good police work can eventually lead to getting specific criminals off the streets.
* Apprehension â€" Here's where cops earn their paycheck. It takes guts to put your ass on the line and hunt down a dangerous criminal. Most of us avoid this kind of confrontation, but cops purposely put themselves into it. In reality the mop-up and apprehension are both just another form of deterrence. The idea that a cop will investigate and try to catch them is a powerful reason many people don't get involved in crime.

Most people are shocked to discover that the police do not have the ability (nor the legal obligation) to protect individuals. Existing by the simpleton motto of "let the cops handle it"Â￾ is a risky way to live. The harsh reality is that YOU are responsible for your own protection -- and for that of your loved ones â€" not the cops.

15. All You Need Is One (Or Two) Fighting Techniques â€" This is a common theory that has some truth to it. But I want to dispel the foolish notion that knowing less is better than knowing more. This just isn't true. Because following this kind of logic would indicate that, for example, you'd be better off using an uneducated bag-lady as your investment broker than a guy with a Master's Degree in Finance. I'd put my money on the Master's degree â€" but that's just me.

Well, the same is true with fighting techniques. You're better off knowing more than less, as it gives you the flexibility of using multiple methods to attack specific targets. Remember... one of the most crucial keys to fighting and winning is proper target acquisition. In other words, you'll be far more effective with a crudely executed, but accurate, kick to your opponent's nut-sack than you'd be with a really pretty roundhouse kick that missed the mark.

Okay... maybe it sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but I'm not. Stay with me here.

Because the reason that many "store front"Â￾ martial artists and "dojo educated"Â￾ fighters LOSE against an experienced street fighter is that, in the heat of battle, they are trying to use and remember specific MOVES (typically complex fine motor skill techniques) rather than targeting. They should be viewing their opponent as a group of vulnerable targets, and then take advantage of the most exposed targets as quickly as possible by any means necessary (something called Target Awareness).

Many make the huge mistake of thinking about technique before target. They display their "swooning crane"Â￾ technique and a couple seconds later, the experienced streetfighter has them demonstrating the "unconscious crane"Â￾ technique.

On the other hand, a completely inexperienced fighter will typically have 1 or 2 moves. They are:

* Right hand "haymaker"Â￾
* Left hand "haymaker"Â￾

C'mon... you can do better than that. In fact, I've got over 70 titles that'll quickly show you tons of moves and sneaky "dirty trick"Â￾ attacks. Your adversary won't know what hit him.

Because, after countless interviews with some of the most dangerous fighters on the planet, I discovered that ALL these fighters were very quick to see open targets, (or to make them open), then utilize any one of an arsenal of techniques to attack those open targets. Having more fighting tools simply allows a fighter to more quickly exploit "open"Â￾ targets.

So it comes down to this.

You must have more than 1-2 techniques. You want at least a few dozen ways to attack your adversary's targets...

You need to have at least a handful of techniques for each of the "four ranges"Â￾ of fighting, including:

* Long Range â€" pick up on 3 good long kicks. Like I said, we've got an arsenal of kicks to choose from â€" use the ones that fits you best.
* Medium range â€" choose 3 good punches and short kicks and learn the ear slap, eye jab, and the palm in the face. These simple techniques can (and often do) end the fight in a couple of seconds, but you should never count on it. For instance, I've personally seen a fight where the guys' eyeball was hanging from his head and he still kept fighting. Drugs, alcohol, and just plain insanity can mean that you'll have to keep going to end it. (This brings up another important point... you NEVER want to stand back and "evaluate"Â￾ how the fight's going).
* Close Range â€" This is where you'll be able to end it. There are a lot of vicious and devastating techniques I can show you in this range, including specialized knees shots, wicked elbow strikes, and fight-ending headbutts. Experienced fighters typically use special tactics to get in close, and then use one of these brutal techniques to end it. It's lights out, game over.
* Grappling â€" Yes, I said that research shows that most fights don't go to the ground unless you're in a "contain, control, comply"Â￾ mode. But it does happen, so you need to have some aces up your sleeve. We've got a number of excellent ground fighting dvds.

16. All Military Fight Systems Can Be Trusted. Let me tell you a "dirty little secret"Â￾ about some military combat systems being sold today. Recently there's been a rash of "experts"Â￾ who've "trained"Â￾ the military in their secret system.

Here's the scoop. They've offered a few military guys some free training in their system. That's it. Free seminars or workshops to military personnel is almost always a marketing ploy and a "resume building"Â￾ exercise. They can now turn around and advertise that their system is used by "military experts"Â￾. Keep your eyes open for this nonsense. Just because someone trained military people does NOT make it special.

Another thing, most soldiers will admit that much of the hand to hand stuff is absolutely worthless to them because 100% of their job is to fight at a distance using hi-tech weaponry -- NOT hand-to-hand systems.

This is exactly why I've personally sought out special military units that indeed depend heavily on hand-to-hand fighting.

And believe me, these guys exist. I even got some of them to talk. They sneak around behind enemy lines quietly "taking care of business"Â￾ without firing weapons and drawing a bunch of attention to themselves. Real live bad-asses that'd make Rambo look like a pussy.

17. Sport Fighting Is Just Like Personal Combat. Many think that a trained boxer, cage fighter, Mixed Martial Artist, or Kickboxer is the same as being a trained street fighter. Not true. Let me ask... who do YOU think would win a spontaneous street fight -- a champion MMA fighter or some ex-con street-brawler raised in the toughest area of east LA?

I'd put my money on the ex-con. Because as brutal as it may appear, an MMA fight really IS different than a street fight.

First, a pay-per-view "cage"Â￾ fight (also called a mixed-martial-arts or MMA fight) is about making money for the promoters. They can't allow every fight to be over within 3-8 seconds. They'd lose their audience -- and advertisers -- fast. So, in an MMA fight there's no quick "fight ending"Â￾ moves allowed -- which is what a street fight is ALL about.

Also, promoters have got to take some effort to protect the fighters. They wouldn't be "sanctioned"Â￾ for long with a continuous stream of dead bodies being hauled out of the ring.

So, here's 16 moves that are outlawed in most sanctioned MMA fights -- but used in most street fights:

* Eye gouging.
* Groin strikes (the ever popular "sack-attack"Â￾)
* Throat strikes (which can easily be lethal).
* Grabbing the trachea
* Biting (alright... Tyson DID try this once).
* Clawing, twisting, or pinching the flesh.
* Stomping, kneeing or kicking a grounded opponent.
* Strikes to spine or back of head (also easily lethal).
* Striking downward, using the point of the elbow.
* Head butt (think of a "bowling ball in the face"Â￾).
* Hair pulling.
* Kicking the kidney with the heel.
* Grabbing the clavicle.
* Small joint manipulations (such as fingers).
* Weapons and improvised weapons.
* Multiple attackers (except in WWF).

"I dislike death; however there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger."Â￾
â€"Mencius

Okay, like I said, maybe there are some exceptions to this in "World Wrestling"Â￾ situations. I mean they DO use folding chairs and multiple attackers while the ref "isn't looking"Â￾.

But seriously... what wins a "match-fight"Â￾ is strength, size, speed, endurance, and skill. In "personal combat"Â￾ or street fighting, it's the use of deception, distraction, disruption and destruction (the four Ds) that wins.

Think about this. When Mike Tyson went to prison â€" they separated him from the general prison population for his own protection. Why? I mean bad-ass Mike Tyson was the most feared Heavy Weight boxer at the time â€" what did he have to worry about? Well, even Tyson knew that the fight rules in prison were different than in the ring. In fact, just like on the streets, there are NO rules. Anything goes, and you've got to be resourceful to survive.

Now granted, some skinny little con would have little chance at beating Tyson in the ring under existing boxing rules. But a sport fighter who doesn't understand the big "Four Ds"Â￾ is at a serious disadvantage in any street fight. This is why size, strength, and endurance are not huge factors in a street fight â€" it's about your skills in the Four Ds.

***Reference article (1st page)

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Interesting read. Thanks for posting this, Dixie.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Nice article Dixie. I will have to look into this more.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
while i can't speak to the accuracy of the statistics he uses, this guy makes a lot of sense. he pretty much nails several, er, encounters that i've had in my life.
the most recent fight i was in turned out to not be a fight at all, as i didn't even throw a punch. i had been playing basketball at an outdoorrec center and one of the dudes there had decided he was gonnateach me a lesson... well, it didn't work out quite that way. he swung a big haymaker which i avoided, i grabbed his shirt with both hands, and flung him onto the asphalt with my body weight as added incentive. his head hit the asphalt and his brain hit the snooze button ... it was a bloody mess, but i was unhurt which is far more important to me.

as the guy above said, real life doesn't usually happen on padded floors.

second, when i was in college this one time i was leaving a party with some "friends" and a carload of non-Whites pulled up and started some trouble. when i turned to deal with the predators, my "friends" turned tail and took off. needless to say, that's the last time i ever talked to those useless cowards.

you better know you can count on the people you are with (which is why i use the word "friend" very carefully) or you're gonna be on your own.

finally, what the guy says about "alpha signals" is spot on. i don't know how many times i've been involved in potentially serious confrontations (often with much bigger blacks, as i am a short guy who plays a lot of basketball) and i didn't have to get violent simply because the other guy(s) knew i wouldn't be easy meat. this is true at the location where i teach, as well. (it sounds bad, but it's true.) strength is all these people respect, and fear of destruction is all that might stop them ... and even then, once in a while you'll find some crazy dude who simply doesn't care. those guys are the real dangerous ones.

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
Here in Oregon we have concealed carry permits
smiley1.gif

GWTJ

Mentor
In BJJ, because it is groundfighting, one of the first things they teach you is to bring the opponent down as hard as possible. The fight may end before it even starts. It's no secret or super strategy, just part of everyday BJJ. And I would put my money on the BJJ(or MMA) guy anytime against the street fighter. Knowledge and technique win fights, not gauging, biting and pinching.

Every BJJ person whom I know through training who found himself in a fight had no problem getting the fight to the ground and applying moves that ended the fight. And the opponents did try to do the dirty things like biting, pulling hair, etc. etc.

This guy seems to be selling the 'secrets of dirty fighting video'. I doubt it has much substance.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Very interesting read. Judo is one of the most overlooked of the "martial arts", since it's not "pretty". In actual real-world practice, the techniques of judo are simply leverage principles designed to bring someone down HARD, effectively ending the confrontation. It's the only real streetfighting martial art.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
If you ever get into fight with someone just give them a karate chop to the shoulder or back of the neck, Maxwell Smart did this all of the time and it always worked.

guest301

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
If you ever get into fight with someone just give them a karate chop to the shoulder or back of the neck, Maxwell Smart did this all of the time and it always worked.

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
or the Vulcan grip on the shoulder that Spock used in the Star Trek series.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
smiley36.gif
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good stuff!
smiley36.gif
So judo is the martial art to learn if you want to learn something that will help you in a real fight? Interesting. I can't help but thinking of Barney Fife.

GWTJ

Mentor
jaxvid said:

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
Edited by: GWTJ

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
GWTJ said:
In BJJ, because it is groundfighting, one of the first things they teach you is to bring the opponent down as hard as possible. The fight may end before it even starts. It's no secret or super strategy, just part of everyday BJJ. And I would put my money on the BJJ(or MMA) guy anytime against the street fighter. Knowledge and technique win fights, not gauging, biting and pinching.

Every BJJ person whom I know through training who found himself in a fight had no problem getting the fight to the ground and applying moves that ended the fight. And the opponents did try to do the dirty things like biting, pulling hair, etc. etc.

This guy seems to be selling the 'secrets of dirty fighting video'. I doubt it has much substance.

As a purple-belt in BJJ (who's been in 2 dozen + street fights), I can say that you DON'T want to go to the ground in a street fight...unless it's "isolated" to you & ONE opponent. If you go to the ground, your opponent's pals with likely stick some kicks or stomps to your head (unless your pals hold them off). BJJ is great in the cage or mat, but not always practical in a street fight. My mix is MTKB, Krav Maga, some 101 judo throws, freestyle & catch wrestling with BJJ (IF it goes to the ground).

Guys, judo throws are even more devastating in street fights, as you're tossing your attacker onto cement, etc. It's good to know 6-12 throws...

101 Judo Techniques

Drop Shoulder (No Gi)

Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi

Karo Parisyan on Judo Throws (in MMA)

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Menelik

Mentor
As someone who is proficient in combatives and tae kwon do I would recommend to REALLY protect yourself you need to do two things:

1. Learn how to maintain proactive situational awareness. In the military its called IPB or intelligence preparation of the battlefield. Always know what terrain/surroundings you are traveling in and the implicit threats.

and for the big one

2. Buy you a hangun, become proficient in its use, and get you a c and c license.

I can't think of any better way to protect yourself then this.

GWTJ

Mentor
Dixie, I noticed none of your suggestions included trachea grabbing, liver kicking, hair pulling or any other of the weak ideas this author was offering as fight strategies.

I like your suggestions but for a guy like me, who is only 5' 7", it doesn't make sense for me to stand toe to toe with a bigger, stronger, perhaps younger opponent and slug it out. I am going to do what I know, which is use my BJJ technique to level the playing field. Even if my opponent has friends, I have a better chance of subduing him with a quick neck crank on the ground than I do of standing and fighting.

I also believe there is no fighting system in the world that will prevent you from a beating if you are facing multiple opponents who are serious about hurting you. This isn't Hollywood and getting out of the area(or avoiding the situation in the first place) is still the best defense against multiple opponents.

Dixie, I thought big guys didn't get messed with. How the heck have you managed to get into so many scrapes?
smiley2.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
GWTJ, Good question you posed there. I look forward to Dixie's answer.
smiley2.gif
I am guessing a mix of youthful indiscretions, self-defense, sticking up for friends and family etc...

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
GWTJ said:
Dixie, I noticed none of your suggestions included trachea grabbing, liver kicking, hair pulling or any other of the weak ideas this author was offering as fight strategies.

I like your suggestions but for a guy like me, who is only 5' 7", it doesn't make sense for me to stand toe to toe with a bigger, stronger, perhaps younger opponent and slug it out. I am going to do what I know, which is use my BJJ technique to level the playing field. Even if my opponent has friends, I have a better chance of subduing him with a quick neck crank on the ground than I do of standing and fighting.

I also believe there is no fighting system in the world that will prevent you from a beating if you are facing multiple opponents who are serious about hurting you. This isn't Hollywood and getting out of the area(or avoiding the situation in the first place) is still the best defense against multiple opponents.

Dixie, I thought big guys didn't get messed with. How the heck have you managed to get into so many scrapes?
smiley2.gif

Good points GWTJ. If you're defending yourself from a mugging/robbery attempt, then a chop, punch or grasp of the windpipe is great. Also, eye gouges, headbutts & hair-pulling (for control) are solid. Kicks or knees to the nards are effective too. However, I'd not recommend the MMA "illegal" techniques in a "family fight" or minor altercation (road rage, etc.)...because it's not worth getting charged with simple battery, having to hire an attorney, going to court & paying restitution.

GWTJ/G301, to answer your question about the # of scraps I've been in, that's a rough estimate calculating from grade school up until about 8-10 years ago. When I was younger & still filling out, I'd have some older guys test me (think I was their age)...and my short fuse usually lead to punches. In HS, there were often after school & after football game brawls (rival HS's, etc.). In college, there were frat parties & clubs...both usually had alotta dudes with "liquid courage". When I was drinking the whiskey, I'd get a little vicious at times...and yes, I started a few brawls in my day.
smiley9.gif
However, since getting married & having kids, I've mellowed way out. I don't go to any "nightclubs" or wild parties these days & folks don't mess with me.Apart from work travel, the gym, BJJ training, hunting & watching a few UFC PPVs or football games...I rarely leave the family.
smiley2.gif

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

I studied Goju style karate and Ju-Jitsu as a young man. I also got in a lot fights as I had a mouth that usually beat my brain into gear and a hair trigger temper. I usually won the fights I got into. If the fight was lts you and me step outside I usually won with Goju techniques because my opponent either had no training or substandard training. I was fortunate enough to be able to study in the Orient while on military duty. I have never lost a serious one on one fight except for one where a jealous rival hit over the head with a beer bottle; even then I managed to use a Ju-Jitsu technique to take him down and then roll under a table. when he got up he ran and no I did not chase him. What I consider a serious fight is when you are attacked and are not expecting trouble. In these situations if I ever used the Karate it was in combination with the Ju-Jitsu The goal of Ju-Jitsu is to extract you from a combative situation with no or minimal damage. There is a catch. You must practice regularly to maintain skill