Can anyone beat Brodeur?
Yeah, Buffalo.
Claude Julien was fired as the Devils head coach and replaced by GM
Lou Lamoriello with less than a week to go in the regular season. I
feel this was a huge mistake. Watching them against Tampa, I
thought they played with LESS intensity than they did at the
end of the regular season.

Ottawa just scored 2 minutes into game one, with out too much of a
problem. I'm thinking that NJ doesn't get passed the Senators. Edited by: C Darwin

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Brodeur will bounce back.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
C Darwin said:
I'm thinking that NJ doesn't get passed the Senators.

This will be the season when the Stanley Cup finally returns to Canada.

Realgeorge

Mentor
It's midway through the second round of the playoffs. How many negro players are left?

I count four:

1) Mike Grier, Sharks
2) Ray Emery, Senators
3) Jonny Oduya, Devis (born in Sweden ... gag!!)
4) Kevin Weekes, NYR (goalie, not playing much)

Did I leave out anybody?

It's been an excellent playoffs so far, a banner year for the NHL. The biggest blessing in disguise? No friggin' ESPN to contaminate the television coverage. NBC is doing a great job on weekends, Versus on weeknights. The NHL! An excellent antidote to the black-dominated other sports in USofA

Bear-Arms

Mentor
The Cup will go to a Western Conference team. Other than Buffalo, I can't see an Eastern Conference team beating the Ducks, Sharks, or Detroit.And I don't think Buffalo is physical enough to beat a Western Conference team.

Kevin Weekes, NYR (goalie, not playing much)

Kevin Weekes is still in the league? That's surprising.

Edited by: Bear-Arms

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Devils went out with a whimper in five games tonight against Ottawa. It was their last ever home game in the Meadowlands arena (I can't remember the corporate name of it now). Next season they play in a new arena in beautiful downtown Newark -- good luck with that one!

Ihad beenrooting for Ottawa to win the Cup after they knocked off the Penguins, because it's been so long since a Canadian team has won it, but will be rooting now for Buffalo or the Rangers to knock them off. Why? Because Ray Emery-mania keeps building.

The Senators are deep and very talented. Emery is the weak link. He's played well in the first two rounds of the playoffs, but the Penguins and Devils didn't really test him that much either.

Emery made a glove save toward the end of the game tonight, which caused one of the Versus announcers to squeal in delight, "Now that's the epitome of athleticism!" Emery's "athleticism" is praised over and over, probably more than that of all the white goaltenders in the league put together.

And who was it who was so thrilled with Emery? None other than John Vanbiesbrouck, he of the 20 year NHL career as a goalie. In 2003, Vanbiesbrouck resigned under pressure as the coach and general manager of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League, and also sold his 25 percent ownership of the team, after he was"outed" for using the n-word to describe a black player on the team in a private conversation.It wasn't a public utterance but was used in a private conversation. Vanbiesbrouck used the wordwhile visiting the residence of players Mike Amodeo and Jeff Doyle, so it was one of those two white players who was a despicable snitch-bitch and ran to the media, which of course ran with it.

Vanbiesbrouck is obviously now bending over with hosannas for Emery, doing his penance since he has been "rehabilitated" by being given an announcing job.

The longer the Senators remain in the playoffs, the more media coverage, what little there is, will focus on Emery. BTW, Emery was in a mysterious car crash yesterday while on his way to the airport to catch the team flight to New Jersey. Apparently he overslept and would have missed the flight anyway. Since he was uninjured, maybe the "accident" was merely the excuse he (and team execs and the media) thought up to deflect criticism from him for sleeping in for a playoff game.Edited by: Don Wassall

Realgeorge said:
It's midway through the second round of the playoffs. How many negro players are left?

I count four:

1) Mike Grier, Sharks
2) Ray Emery, Senators
3) Jonny Oduya, Devis (born in Sweden ... gag!!)
4) Kevin Weekes, NYR (goalie, not playing much)

Did I leave out anybody?

Yes, Jonathan Cheechoo is another one. He's a Native player. Mike Grier is a decent player though. He's not the greatest skater in the world, but he plays a clean game and he works hard for his team. Ray Emery is playing very well, as yesterday's game so vividly displayed.

However, Kevin Weekes of the Rangers couldn't stop a beachball in goal. My theory is that the Rangers onl have him in the line-up for "diversity", being that they are a New York team. The Devils did the same thing with Scott Gomez at first, because of New Jersey's (my home) large hispanic population. But, as it turns out, Gomez developed into a very good player anyway, so the Devils lucked out....just not in yesterday's game...lol.Edited by: Ground Fighter

Don Wassall said:
Emery made a glove save toward the end of the game tonight, which caused one of the Versus announcers to squeal in delight, "Now that's the epitome of athleticism!"  Emery's "athleticism" is praised over and over, probably more than that of all the white goaltenders in the league put together.

Emery is a good goalie, but Ottawa's team is so strong overall, they could have a house-league goalie in net and still win.

Its a shame that the Capitals didn't make the playoffs this year. Alexander Ovechkin would have pissed all over Emery one on one.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think Gomez considers himself white. The media tried to make a big deal out of him being one of the first hispanic players in the NHL and he didn't want anything to do with it. Good for him.

Realgeorge

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
I think Gomez considers himself white.  The media tried to make a big deal out of him being one of the first hispanic players in the NHL and he didn't want anything to do with it.  Good for him. 

I've been impressed with Gomez for just that reason. Most definitely he doesn't wear "Aztlan Forever!" on his hockey sweater. And he played excellent during the playoffs, scoring most of N.J.'s goals. Would not be surprised - no not at all - if the NY media pins Gomez with the blame for the Devils' middle-round playoff exit. Since he's not sufficiently White-hating, bitter, arrogant, and PC, he's a target.

And Gomez is a free-agent next year. Hope he defects, preferably to my team! Top-line pivots (center icemen) are at a premium these days.

And Yuck! Downtown Newark for a hockey stadium! Even Yankee Stadium and The Bronx will be safe by comparison

cslewis1

Guru
I absolutely agree with RealGeorge, it's been a fantastic year for the NHL! If I hear ESPN mention again that noone watches it below the border, I'm going to kick my TV. (I don't get Versus! I'm going to next year, don't care what teh wife says
smiley2.gif

The NHL is building some superstars. I live near the Wash Caps and got to see Ovechkin and Semin quite a bit. They're phenomenal.
Never liked the Pens but good to see them generating interest. I actually like Buffalo and Ottawa this year in the Eastern Finals. I remember a couple years back I think these two teams met in the finals and both played a trap style, if I recall correctly. that was horrible.

I guess you've got to go for Detroit vs. SJ, again the name recognition equals NHL hype. But Anaheim vs. SJ, an all Cali final would be kind of cool too.

I had my fingers crossed for a Rangers-Redwings final. But the NHL had a couple good weeks of at least some big market teams being involved.

I'll be pulling for the Sabres though. Great fans, great speed and fun to watch. And Buffalo deserves it.

Let's hope the next three series go 7.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
I'd like to see Gomez as a Penguin. I hope he leaves the dreaded New Jersey Devils (who the hell would want to play in Newark anyway) and goes somewhere where his offensive talent can truly be exploited rather than playing in New Jersey's boring trap system

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Guess I'll be rooting for the Red Wings now, like I always did when Steve Yzerman was playing. Dominik Hasek is still playing great at 42, and so is Chris Chelios at 45.

Forty-flippin'-five!! Absolutely amazing! Is Chelios the best American-born player in NHL history?

Get ready for the deluge of the Ray Emery stories ad nauseam. He's the greatest goalie ever,next to Grant Fuhr! The NHL needs more goalies of color!!!
smiley11.gif
Edited by: Blue Eyed Devil

hedgehog

Mentor
During the second game of the series, the announcer called Ray Emery an "athletic goal tender". Meanwhile in Detroit the other night Hasek flips off his back spins around and blocks a "sure goal", but I guess he is not athletic.

(I read somewhere that Emery has a picture of Mike Tyson on his helmet, is that true? To me it looks like Elvis Presley with boxing gloves)

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately it's still looking like I was right earlier when I predicted an Ottawa Cup win. Emery's been solid, but it's Ottawa's depth and great talent at forward and defense that's been making the Senatorspretty much unbeatable thus far.

sunshine

Mentor
Senators are looking incredible but in the end I think the Ducks have too much raw talent for anyone.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The paltry media coverage the NHL playoffs receive has hardly mentioned Hasek, who just recorded his 14th playoff shutout. Any hockey historians out there who know whether there has ever been a great goalie who was still playing at such a highlevel in the playoffs at42 years of age?

Hasek is yet another great white athlete whose recognition level among the general sporting public is negligible. And didn't Hasek originally retire about a decade ago? What a story this would be rather than Ray Emery if this country had alegitimatepress.

Don Wassall said:
Guess I'll be rooting for the Red Wings now, like I always did when Steve Yzerman was playing.  Dominik Hasek is still playing great at 42, and so is Chris Chelios at 45. 

Forty-flippin'-five!!  Absolutely amazing!  Is Chelios the best American-born player in NHL history?<!-- Message ''"" -->

Actually, I think that the Mullen brothers (Joe and Brian) were the best Americans to lace them up. One of them (I'm not sure which one) was the first American player to ever score 500 career goals. Not bad for two guys who grew up in the Hell's Kitchen section of New York City...born and raised there too. Although I, myself, did not make it nearly as far as they did, it was nice to hear about two guys coming from the same kind environment as myself, and still made it to the NHL.

Being a hockey player in an urban setting is like being a squre peg in a round hole...you just don't fit. These guys faced real adversity, but they still made it, so I am happy that they had the careers that they did. And thats why I think they are the best Americans to ever play the game. I have a tear in my eye.
smiley19.gif

sunshine

Mentor
I think the playoffs this year have been kind of dry--but things picked up in game 4 Ducks-Detroit. look for this one to be a battle royale ala Spurs -Suns. Ducks get big Pronger back for game 5.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
Am I the only person who is not impressed with the Ducks? Besides their crappy new logo (they never should have gotten rid of that bad ass looking duck mask) they havent exactly performed that well against Detroit. Detroit could have very well beaten them in 4 games but a fluky goal in game 2 as well as Giguere carrying the entire team on his back in game 4 have netted this series at 2 games a piece. I expect Detroit to come out on top in this one. They are simply the more talented team

sunshine

Mentor
Detroit has outplayed the Ducks and were pressing the Ducks in the third period like crazy in game 4. That said the Ducks have been flat but they have talent up the ying yang. The best D in the biz I mean Pronger and Captain Scott Niedermayer are two studs and Giguere is a great goalie and Selanne, Perry, Getzlaf,Scott's brother Rob and speed demon Mcdonald are a formidable bunch of scorers. Right they haven't played up to potential but if they do watch out.

Realgeorge

Mentor
Ducks got a lucky goal and beat Wings in OT. Rats.

And yes, the Ducks have the most asinine uniform in the NHL. Their PR folks should be shot rather than fired

Yuck, we will have to put up with Ray Emery for another whole series. And the Finals, no less. Doubtlessly he will show up for interviews in his standard Pimp costume