Sports announcers

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Aren't Shannon Sharpe and Michael Irvin two of the worst possible people you could put in front of a microphone? Both of those guys sound like their mouth is full of marbles or something. Their diction and enunciation are so poor you can hardly understand what they're saying, and Michael Irvin is so fond of ebonics patois that its almost like he is speaking another language.

And speaking of sports announcers, today on the Dan Patrick show he asked Irvin who were his picks for the top 5 quarterbacks in the NFL. Patrick listed Manning, Brady, and Roethlisberger, and tossed Irvin a bone with Brees and Carson Palmer. As Irvin mulled it over, going between the two, Patrick asked what about Daunte, McNabb or Vick, would those guys make your top 5? Its like he HAD to bring them up, even though none of those guys are anywhere near the level of the aforementioned five.

Irvin's pick? Drew Brees - because the three black quarterbacks run too much and Irvin wouldn't have a chance to 'get mines,' he'd have no way of "getting good stats fo my hunert milyan dollah contrack." So, he'd have to take Brees over one of his 'homeboys.'

Its ridiculous that either of these men (Sharpe and Irvin) can even be considered for employment in broadcasting, and its equally ridiculous that Irvin's typical me-first attitude towards quarterbacks and the game is all about money, is accepted and allowed to flourish.

guest301

Hall of Famer
White Shogun..I think it's interesting though that Irvin was honest enough to say he prefers Brees instead of one of his "homeboys". If you remember, TO said he preferred favre to McNabb. I think alot of black wr's and even white ones prefer white qb's because they will tend to throw more downfield and not just take off with the ball or dump it to running backs and tight ends.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
guest301 said:
I think alot of black wr's and even white ones prefer white qb's because they will tend to throw more downfield and not just take off with the ball or dump it to running backs and tight ends.

I learned a long time ago in fantasy footballto draft wide receivers who have white quarterbacks throwing them the ball because they are much more productive on average. There have been exceptions to the rule-- Joe Horn, Derrick Mason --but not many.

guest301

Hall of Famer
or not taking white wr's(bennett, finneran) who have black Qb's throwing to them(mcNair,vick)LOL.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
White Shogun..I think it's interesting though that Irvin was honest enough to say he prefers Brees instead of one of his "homeboys". If you remember, TO said he preferred favre to McNabb. I think alot of black wr's and even white ones prefer white qb's because they will tend to throw more downfield and not just take off with the ball or dump it to running backs and tight ends.

In a sense he was 'honest' enough to choose a white quarterback over one of the black quarterbacks mentioned, but only because of money. You can bet that if one of those guys was half as good as the other five he would have chosen that Qb instead. Its the nature of the beast that blacks stick together more than whites, even if they stand to lose by doing so.

guest301

Hall of Famer
White Shogun...for the most part I agree with your last sentence. If anything, that is a trait to admire about blacks(how they stick together).When our cause is right, white people should "stick together more" too. I still say that black wr's want white qb's throwing to them even if most won't admit that publically. Do you think Hines Ward wants Seneca Wallace throwing to him instead of Big Ben? That's probably not the best example because of the talent differential between the two..but the point is the same.

whiteCB

Master
WR are greedy people playing a "me first" position where its all about getiing the ball. They're toogreedy not to state the truth and say they want the better QB regardless of skin color.

JoeV

Guru
I don't mind Shannon Sharpe, he might not talk exactly perfect, but his insights are not that bad sometimes. Michael Irvin on the other hand is the worst thing to happen to the broadcast booth since Eric Dickerson's failed attempt to be sideline reporter. Irvin's wardrobe looks like it comes from the Deion Sanders reject pile, and the guy is about as articluate as a musk ox. Give me Tom Jackson any day of the week over that buffoon.