Sporting or Pathological Liar News?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
The Pathological Liar News:
Sporting News is probably the most caste football magazine out there today. Let's take a look at how differently they treat white players. I found several outright lies in the two pre-season issues (one was fantasy football)

First let's start with the Pre-season preview:
1. Quote : "Veteran Joe Jurevicius was miscast as the No. 2 wideout in 2007, but now that Stallworth has been added, he can slide to his ideal role as a No. 3."

My take: What? What evidence leads them to the for done conclusion that Jurevicius can't play #2 WR. He fits that mold perfectly. #3 is often the slot WR and many teams are going smaller for their number 3. Jurevicius played brilliantly in Seattle and even last year played solid while battling injury.

2. "The Colts may have gotten the bargain of the draft in RB Mike Hart. He will be a highly productive No.2 back who makes plays whenever he has the ball in his hands, though Hart lacks size and explosiveness to become a feature back."

My take: Hmmm, a small 5'9 195 lb. RB who runs a 4.67 and even lacks ideal burst will surly become a highly productive backup? If Hart were white, he would have been mini-camp fodder. And he surely would never have started at Michigan. To the sporting News lack of speed only matters if you are white. If black, you can be slow AND small.

3. "Breakout Candidate Eric Weddle" ... but notice all the backhanded compliment caste-speak in the synopsis. "Weddle played nickel, free safety and strong safety at times in 2007 and now becomes the starter at free. The Chargers gave up a lot to get him, and no one knows yet just how good he might be. They'll find out now. THE WAY HE PLAYS ALMOST DEFIES PHYSICS. WEDDLE IS NOT BIG OR TERRIBLY FAST. HE IS SIMPLY ALWAYS WHERE THE BALL IS, LOVES TO HIT AND KNOWS THE GAME."

My Take: Wow, a player that ran the same 40 time as 2 CBs drafted in the first round this year and has the second fastest 10 yard dash time in the last 10 years at the NFL combine and held Calvin Johnson to one catch while matched up against him at CB, is just an overachiever to them?

Now to their Fantasy Football Preview:

On Brian Leonard:
"Leonard was largely unimpressive in Steven Jackson's absence last year, which explains why the Rams are asking him to bulk up and play fullback."

Now here is what these caste bigots have to say about 4th round draft pick Antonio Pittman cut by the Saints.

"Pittman unseated Brian Leonard last season to become Steven Jackson's top backup."

My take: Leonard was put in an impossible predicament last season. Leonard started 3 games with 3 and then 4 starting offensive linemen out. QB Marc Bulger was injured as well and WR Issac Bruce missed at least 2 of Brian Leonard's 3 games started. Leonard finished the season with these pretty unimpressive, but not so shabby rushing numbers for a rookie considering the situation:

86-303-3.5-0 TDS; and respectable receiving numbers 30-183-0 TDs.

However looking at the early season when the Ram's were less decimated by injuries Leonard was matching Steven Jackson with 3.9 yards per carry.

Pittman actually had more of his handoffs than Leonard over the season in better situations with Bulger back in the lineup and the WRs healthy to open up the offense. So how much better did Pittman do with his carries than Leonard to "unseat" him? Here are his final stats

38-139-3.7-0 Tds.

Pittman is also clearly much less suited than Leonard to be a receiving option. Pittman finished the season with 3 catches for 15 yards.

How about their biased dismissal of Jacob Hester as told by their favoring of Marcus Thomas.

"LaDainian Tomlinson has proven to be very durable over the years, and Darren Sproles will battle Thomas and Jacob Hester for the backup job....Thomas isn't interesting unless he wins that backup job."

My Take: So what is the problem with this write up I may ask...Well, they don't even have a player capsule on Jacob Hester in the RB section, casting him off like one of the scrubs that aren't worth mentioning. Yet they find room for not only veteran Sproles, but 5th round pick Marcus Thomas as well...Something is clearly fishy here. Marcus Thomas was a 5th round pick. They traded up in the first round to get Hester giving up a lot. Hester had equal stats to Thomas and better overall measurements at the NFL Combine and played against a tougher schedule than Thomas as the main RB on the NCAA champion team...Hmmm so what is really going on here?

On Jordy Nelson:
"Nelson started his career on defense before moving to receiver at Kansas State. He had122 receptions and 11 TDs while earning All-America honors last season. NELSON IS AN OVERACHIEVER who will have value in the return game....Nelson has a lot to prove on a team loaded at WR."

My Take: How the hell is the former 100 meter Kansas state champ who burned Aqib Talib on that famous play who also consistently played like a Biletnikoff finalist an overachiever? Jordy ran a 4.49 40 yard dash at the NFL combine without speed school training for the event. That is "at least equal" to your average "starting" WR in the NFL. Plus Jordy Nelson was in the top 5 agile WRs in last years draft class in a 6'3 215 lbs body.

Now listen to what they say about Kevin Walter and I'm not kidding:
"Fantasy Source Spin: A very poor -man's version of Wes Welker, with value in points leagues."
My take: WTF, do they have to compare every white player to a white player. This has got to be the most caste whorish PC football publication out there. They just can't be creative with their comparisons, plus Welker and Walter are not very similar anyway.

Now listen to how they have already made their minds up that Troy Williamson is a better WR than Matt Jones.
"The Vikings traded Williamson to the Jaguars after three uninspiring seasons. He'll catch an occasional deep ball, and his career might get a jolt from working with David Gerrard...(but) Williamson stays on the waiver wire."

Ok, so what do they say in their write-up of Matt Jones, who has in fact been more productive than Williamson so far, despite being drafted a little later and learning an entirely new position, dealing with injuries and more QB switches than Williamson?
"Jones hasn't even reached 1,500 receiving yards in 3 years' worth of work. He is a chronic disappointment for owners. The Jags have been trying to unload him for more than a year. Fantasy Source Spin: You won't have that problem if you don't draft Jones.

My take: Geez, it sounds as if they are being much harder on Matt Jones underachieving, but maybe that is because Matt Jones is an anomaly to them. Any other WR that is even in the league is a huge "overachiever."

Caste-footballers, please do not support this magazine and speak out against it. Only buy it for research as evidence against the caste system. We cannot support caste-whore journalists and these guys are the extreme of the extreme.

smiley7.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

guest301

Hall of Famer
I have a subscription to that magazine. It runs out at the end of September, I won't be renewing it and I will tell them why. Thanks Riggs. I have noticed all this before but I am so used to all the crapola out there that I didn't think about making a stand. I would cancel now but this year is already paid for.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I've been subscribing to The Sporting News (now called just Sporting News) since I was 12 years old. It used to be a very serious newspaper that was about 90 percent baseball content. It was great for hard-core baseball fans. It ranevery single box score -- even every spring training game box score -- and every other baseball statistic imaginable, and had lots of incisive analysis and commentary. It has since "evolved" like the rest of popular culture and is now at about the level of "Entertainment Tonight," 90 percent pap and fluff, designed for today's 30 second attention span.

I read it for the occasional useful tidbit of information, just as I am constantly reading all kinds of mainstream and alternative media material on politics and other issues. But I don't take Sporting News seriously and don't find it any more offensive than any other sports media source; they all march in politically correct, pro-Caste Systemlockstep. Reading anything "mainstream" these days is like reading a combination of Pravda and National Lampoon.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
They actually were fairly fair to Kevin Curtis. Other than saying the Eagles need a good redzone target and failed to get the top-flight WR McNabb covets, they actually said he is statistically the second best WR in the McNabb era and has good deep speed.

They also say that Jordan Dizon plays fast and seems to always be flying to the ball or something. But other than that they really seem to treat white players worse than other publications. Plus I think Dizon might be part Hawaiian, so that might have helped him.

I didn't include their criticism of Drew Bennett as a lie b/c I thought it was fair b/c they at least mentioned Bennett's injury last year and a banged up offense. But it is ridiculous that for basically every white skill player there were lies on the table.
smiley11.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
well the other fantasy publication I read, USA TODAY FOOTBALL PREVIEW seemed significantly more fair Don. I do think Sporting News slants in the caste direction, but maybe these days, not by much. Anyhow, time to watch McGuffie and Michigan!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
They had better be fair to Kevin Curtis. He is easily one of the fastest players in the NFL. He showed what he was capable of last season going over 1000 yards in his first year starting. If he had started in St Louis he would have gone over 1000 yards every year.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The pitiful piece of print puffery that goes by the once proud name of the Sporting News has an article this week asking a panel of 23 former NFL wide receivers, among other things, "Who's the most overrated wide receiver in the game today?" Three of the 11 mentioned by the panel are white. Yes, we all know how much unwarranted hype white receivers get.
smiley29.gif

The notorious "Over-Rated Three" are Wes Welker, Kevin Curtis and Matt Jones. Of Welker, Brett Perriman is quoted as saying: "With the system New England runs and Randy Moss alone drawing double and triple coverage, (Welker) runs 5-yard option routes. I can send a below average player to do the same thing and you will get the same results."

Of Matt Jones, Chris Burford says: "Matt Jones is all sound, no picture."

Hey, Brett, Herman Moore just said the same thing about you!

dwid

Hall of Famer
if you can send a below average receiver to do Welker's job then why dont more teams do that? Randy Moss draws double coverage on deep plays, hes not good on short routes.

If teams focus too much on Moss, Welker will kill them on the short routes with yards after the catch. Teams have to focus just as much attention on Moss as they do to Welker.

They cant just throw a deep pass to Randy Moss every drive. They would be scoring too quickly and their defense would be too tired. Most teams have a deep threat.

and when Cassell struggled to hit Moss deep at first, Moss struggled, he wasnt doing so well on the shorter routes. He wasnt drawing double coverage. Welker was still getting at least 6 catches a game.

and how is Curtis overrated? most people dont even realize that hes good.Edited by: dwid

whiteCB

Master
Does it ever stop? Out of a position of players,WRs, where 95% of the pool of athletes are black 3 out of 11 are white when asked which players are overated! Give me a break! If someone were to conduct a poll of which accountants are the most overrated and 3 out of 11 were black there'd be a nation wide protest sceaming,"Racism" led by Jesse Jackson!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
whiteCB said:
Does it ever stop? Out of a position of players,WRs, where 95% of the pool of athletes are black 3 out of 11 are white when asked which players are overated! Give me a break! If someone were to conduct a poll of which accountants are the most overrated and 3 out of 11 were black there'd be a nation wide protest sceaming,"Racism" led by Jesse Jackson!

It's even more ridiculousbecause white wide receivers are constantly negatively stereotyped and often outright ridiculed. Kevin Curtis had an excellent season for the Eagles in 2007, yet in the offseason following that year he was often viewed as the weak link on the offense. Many still view him as a slot receiver rather than a split end simply because Wes Welkeris white and is a slot receiver.

Curtis and Welker had to go through hoops for years before finally getting a chance to start. Jones of course was drafted by the worst possible team and when he came on strong last season he was still almost universally despised. The NFL should be filled with white receivers; very few ever get an opportunity due to being so "over-rated." What an upside down media world we live in.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The terrible treatment of white receivers continues. A few guys who I think got screwed the most in the past 10 years are Travis McGriff,Danny Farmer, and Keith Poole. McGriff was a monster at Florida and despite scouting reports that he "isn't fast" he had good deep speed. He got very little playing time and that was it. Farmer could have been a Joe Jurevicius type but only played three seasons. Finally we have Keith Poole who was allowed to start one full season. He only ended up with 42 catches but a huge 19 yard average. He always went out for the deep ball. Maybe if he played for a decent team other than the Saints he would have had more success.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
dwid said:
Keith Poole was one damn fast receiver from what i remember. What exactly happened to him? Saints fan say he was fast as hell but couldnt stay healthy, but i dont put stock into what they say.

From CF's Archives:

KEITH POOLE

(8/22/02) Should rank near the top of the voluminous list of white receivers who have never been given a fair chance in the NFL. Immensely talented, was a dominant receiver at Arizona State. Is tied for first for career TDs at ASU (25), had 139 career receptions for 2,681 yards (third all-time in each category) for an outstanding 19.3 average per catch. Made first-team all-PAC 10 in '96 and was also a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award, given each year to the country's best receiver.

Poole's nickname at Arizona State was "White Rice,"Â￾ for Jerry Rice of course, quite a compliment indeed. He was just as much a potent offensive weapon as his quarterback, Jake Plummer, but it was Plummer who received all the accolades and hype while Poole played in relative obscurity. Why the disparity between how white quarterbacks are treated and analyzed and white receivers? Could it be that whites, with few exceptions, are supposed to excel only at quarterback and the blocking positions ? Nah!

Plummer was drafted in the first round by the Arizona Cardinals, while Poole was drafted in the fourth round by New Orleans in 1997. In four years with the Saints, Poole saw limited action. The only season he was utilized as a semi-regular, 1999, all he did was lead the NFL in yards per reception with 19.0 (42 receptions for 796 yards).

One would think that such obvious ability would be developed as much as possible and that Poole would be hyped by the media as a superstar in the making. But no, Poole's playing time actually decreased in 2000. That was the year Mike Ditka was replaced by Jim Haslet, a fervent proponent of all-black rosters. Poole immediately fell into Haslet's disfavor and his stats fell to 21 receptions for 293 yards in '00. In '01 Poole was summarily dispatched to the Broncos, that NFL haven for backup white receivers, where he had exactly 5 catches in '01. (It must be added in fairness that Poole has too often imitated the Tim Dwight/Ed McCaffrey style of taking the most vicious hit possible on every reception rather than knowing when to go down when his forward progress is up, thus leading to concussions, broken ribs, etc. ; he has also had persistent hamstring problems.)

Poole was released by the Broncos and signed with the Buccaneers for 2002, but has apparently retired from football. His career yards per catch average after five NFL seasons â€"- a mere 18.1. Do you know any black receivers who have a higher one? And do you ever recall hearing or reading anything extolling Keith Poole, especially after leading the NFL in yards per catch average in 1999?

Edited by: Don Wassall

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Um, I've seen every Patriot game since Moss and Welker came to NE in 2007. I can assure you that Randy Moss, who is certainly a great player, has never once been "triple covered." It would be true lunacy for any defensive coordinator to dream this up.

The great sports media truely believes that they are free to exaggerate like this and none of the drunken white peons will even notice. For the most part, they're assumptions are correct.

Articles discussing who's "overrated" is normally the perfect vehicle for the mystique of black players to grow....and the hate for white player to blossom. After all, if it's printed in a magazine (who the f*ck reads magazines?), it must be the gospel. Wes Welker, overrated? Come on, even the twits on NFL Network admit he's the best #2 option in the NFL. Also, instead of picking Matt Jones....what about his wimpy, millionare teammate, Jerry Porter? Oh wait, that wouldnt "fit the script," now would it?

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
The "Snorting" News has become typical pro-caste propaganda, with such invalid analysis (as above).

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Does anyone know where I can find combine information on Keith Poole online? I usually check sports illustrated for that information but I believe they don't anything on Poole. I could swear he was one of the faster receivers in the NFL.