Spike Lee whines at Clint Eastwood

[url]http://news.aol.com/entertainment/movies/movie-news-story/ar /_a/spike-lee-rips-eastwood-for-wwii-films/20080521131109990 001?ecid=RSS0001[/url]

Spike Lee is slamming Clint Eastwood over his two recent Iwo Jima movies, saying the filmmaker overlooked the role of black soldiers during World War II.

Lee {snip} said Eastwood's 2006 movies "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters From Iwo Jima" were whites-only affairs.

"He did two films about Iwo Jima back to back and there was not one black soldier in both of those films," Lee said Tuesday at the Cannes Film Festival {snip}.

"Many veterans, African-Americans, who survived that war are upset at Clint Eastwood. In his vision of Iwo Jima, Negro soldiers did not exist. Simple as that. . . ," Lee said.

One black veteran of the 35-day battle aired his grievances about the Eastwood movies in a 2006 interview with The Guardian, a UK newspaper.

"Of all the movies that have been made of Iwo Jima, you never see a black face," said former marine Thomas McPhatter. "This is the last straw. I feel like I've been denied, I've been insulted, I've been mistreated. But what can you do? We still have a strong underlying force in my country of rabid racism."

McPhatter said he even had a part in raising the first American flag on the island. "The man who put the first flag up on Iwo Jima got a piece of pipe from me to put the flag up on," he told the newspaper.

Almost 900 of the 30,000 marines that stormed the island were African-American.

Even at his advanced age I bet Clint could still beat some sense into that overrated white hating midget.

Edited by: Trooper Thorn

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
McPhatter said he even had a part in raising the first American flag on the island. "The man who put the first flag up on Iwo Jima got a piece of pipe from me to put the flag up on," he told the newspaper.

He wants his role in a war documented because he gave a guy a piece of pipe??

That is, they were less than 3% of the Marines engaged in taking Iwo Jima.

I'm sure Spike will make his own WWII movie in which all of the heroes are black.

Poacher

Mentor
There were actually about 110,000 marines used to take Iwo which means that the 900 blacks amounted to well under 1% of the force.

The pipe was on the ground. It was part of a destroyed radio tower.

Solomon Kane

Mentor
Especially annoying because Eastwood is always (excessively IMO) promoting black stars in his films (mario van peebles, morgan freeman, etc.)

white is right

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:

He wants his role in a war documented because he gave a guy a piece of pipe??

That is, they were less than 3% of the Marines engaged in taking Iwo Jima.

I'm sure Spike will make his own WWII movie in which all of the heroes are black.
You mean altering history. You know like having an African in Roman times being a noble character who was free, when 90+ percent he would have been a slave of some sort. Or having a black free man being a vocal organizer at the Boston Tea Party. Or having a gay guy a black guy a native guy and one white guy storming the San Juan Hill.......
smiley36.gif

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
Spike Lee has exactly one decent movie to his credit, and it was only good because Danny Aielo and John Turturro were in it.

He needs to learn when it's time to shut up. Even at 70-odd years old I bet Clint wouldn't be averse to helping Spike catch a beatdown.

At the end of the day, Clint will still be a Hollywood icon, and Spike Lee will still be a gay little black midget who looks like Urkel.

bigunreal

Mentor
Sooner or later, politically correct fools like Eastwood are going to learn just little it pays to irrationally worship black people. Eastwood has tried his best to push black superiority in his movies, but that doesn't help him one bit when a prominent black decides he didn't do a good enough job of it in this film. Hillary learned this lesson the hard way; despite a lifetime of fighting for special rights for blacks, when a black candidate opposes her, she gets less than 10% of the black vote. Geraldine Ferraro seems to have gotten the point. Hopefully others will.

I've never liked Eastwood. Back when VCRs were first invented, Eastwood led the charge to ban them, claiming that they would destroy the movie industry by letting viewers tape and watch them for free. He also made the ridiculous "In The Line Of Fire" movie, which was almost a direct response to Oliver Stone's "JFK." Eastwood even used the Secret Service as consultants for his film, and certainly glamorized them. In fact, the Secret Service in Dallas made the assassination of JFK possible, by basically standing down and not reacting at all to the obvious sound of gunfire.

I can't stand Spike Lee, but Eastwood is getting a dose of poetic justice.