Southern schools are the biggest problem

The biggest sources of "black NFL" talent (used loosely in some cases) are the SEC/ACC/Big-XII-South triumvirate. From the lists here, these seem to have lower %s of white players than the typical NFL team. I know the populations of blacks are much higher in the Gulf-Atlantic (cotton) states, but it still only amounts to 1/3 of the state at most.

I think southern coaches may just be bigger caste-whores than northern and western coaches. Just look at how black Zook has made Illinois in a few years. Compare that to the whiter Big Ten teams. Zook is a former SEC guy, so it could be due to be more regional "coaching culture" than anything. Even Fisher DeBerry was a southern guy likely brought up in southern school coaching ranks. Though he had one of the whitest teams around, his comments expressed a desire to recruit more blacks into the military academy.

Also, it seems that the only teams west and north that recruit abnormal amounts of blacks are struggling schools. Schools like USC, Ohio State, and Nebraska tend to have a healthy amount of white players, though the castes are still observed for extremes (QB, FB and OL for whites; CB, WR and HB for blacks). One notable exception would be Michigan; but with Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland all close by, it's probably too much of a temptation for most recruiters. But even they usually have white QB, OL, TE, and possibly a few white defenders.

I know guys like Saban and Les Miles are northerners, but what I'm saying is the southern coaching culture supersedes past notions of talent evaluation. What might be 1st or second degree caste-ing in the north and west is 3rd or 4th degree (worse) caste-ing in the southeast.

The NFL may have its own caste system, but I honestly believe it's nothing compared to that of the SEC, ACC, and Big XII-South. Mostly the NFL just gets the guys from the top colleges. If there were more whites in the highest college ranks, there would be more in the pros. Even back when AFL coaches like Hank Stram and Al Davis started raiding HBCs, it was a relatively small number compared to what is taken out of the big schools today.

Maybe the problem should be fixed in the southern colleges before worrying about the NFL. College coaches tend to be a different species of coach than pro coaches. Crossovers are rarely successful.

Edited by: FieldThrower

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones are two more examples. We've mentioned it before here, but I-A programs and NFL teams are in a perverted sense a kind of modern incarnation of the Southern "plantation" with the white "mastuh" benignly presiding over his (multi-millionaire) black charges. J. B. Cash wrote an excellentarticle comparing the way (the mostly black) players are measured, prodded and ogled at the Combine to the selling of slaves. Everything is set up to benefit the black player over the white,yet the patronizing and pandering to blacks also reflects a deep-seated belief thatblacks are not up to white standards.

Deus Vult

Mentor
The southern schools -- the SEC, in particular -- had a great tradition when the teams were all-white. LSU, for example, did not have one black player, not one, until the 1970s. Y.A. Tittle, Billy Cannon, Jim Taylor, Bert Jones, Tommy Casanova, etc., did not have black teammates.

Integration was forced upon the South by Northerners.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes, quite a sad change from those days until now. Alabama had no black players until 1971, Ole Miss until 1972, and LSU the last to integrate in 1973.

whiteCB

Master
Deus Vult said:
The southern schools -- the SEC, in particular -- had a great tradition when the teams were all-white. LSU, for example, did not have one black player, not one, until the 1970s. Y.A. Tittle, Billy Cannon, Jim Taylor, Bert Jones, Tommy Casanova, etc., did not have black teammates.

Integration on college football teams was not forced upon by the north you idiot Deus Vult. Give me a break. As far as putting black players on college teams in the south was all on their own and now they have taken it to the extreme. So go cry me a river!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
whiteCB said:
Deus Vult said:

Integration on college football teams was not forced upon by the north you idiot Deus Vult. Give me a break. As far as putting black players on college teams in the south was all on their own and now they have taken it to the extreme. So go cry me a river!

I think when the President orders in federal troops to forcibly integrate a school it's OK to use the phrase "forced upon" in regards to integration.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
whiteCB said:
Deus Vult said:

I think when the President orders in federal troops to forcibly integrate a school it's OK to use the phrase "forced upon" in regards to integration.

Thanks for that jaxvid! Its good to know that the truth doesn't infuriate some people to the point that they can't accept it. Deus Vult is right and whiteCB, you need a history lesson. I bet you didn't know the NFL was completely integrated thanks to the Fed Gov as well. The Redskins were all white until JFK's administration intervened to make them hire blacks in 1962. The same thing happened in SEC schools. There would have been court orders for them to let in black players had they not done so when they did.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

cslewis1

Guru
Colonel_Reb said:
The Redskins were all white until JFK's administration intervened to make them hire blacks in 1962. The same thing happened in SEC schools. There would have been court orders for them to let in black players had they not done so when they did.

Is that true, or are you being sarcastic? For real, I didn't know this.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes sir, cslewis1 its true, you can look it up. JFK and his cronies were responsible for the Redskins being integrated. At the same time, his administration was forcing Ole Miss and Alabama to integrate their hallowed halls.

Deus Vult

Mentor
whiteCB said:
Integration on college football teams was not forced upon by the north you idiot Deus Vult. Give me a break. As far as putting black players on college teams in the south was all on their own and now they have taken it to the extreme...

White CB, were you under the impression that southerners chose to integrate the public schools? Congress and Presidents Eisenhower and Kennedy did not break the South and force integration?

The second part of your statement is true: in the south, things have swung to an ugly extreme. But the South's own culture was broken by the DC regime, led by creeps like Kennedy (MA) and Humphrey (MN), whose own constituents were far removed from the reality of race-differences but nonetheless eager to force the South into racial-integration. We (the South) are still under the yoke of the Voting Rights Act, which treats southern states like parolees.

SEC squads do tend to have a great many black players, probably double their representative demographic status per state. LSU for example, has around 2/3 black players on the roster, whereas blacks makeup (a little less than) 1/3 of Louisiana's population (thanks to Katrina). I think that's a bit better than squads like those at Minnesota or Wisconsin.

whiteCB

Master
You guys are totally missing the point of what I am saying!!! Yes, the government forced upon integration of southern schools; that's not what I am arguing. What I'm saying is the government didn't come in and say start recruiting black players on your football teams. That was all done by white coaches who fell in love with the black athlete, while completely ignoring the white ones. That my friends is what I meant in my above post. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
smiley5.gif
Edited by: whiteCB

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Sport historian, myself, and others have posted on the rise of the Caste System in the SEC for a long time. It is true that many SEC coaches began to think that to win titles they must have some blacks, but their were other outside factors too, and these often influenced the decisions coaches made on whether to integrate their teams.

I believe the biggest reason why coaches began to think that way was pressure from the government, media, and the rest of the country to conform and integrate. Many people believe the 1966 Alabama team was denied the national title because they were all white, instead Notre Dame got it. Had they won it that year, they would have been the first ever back to back to back champions in modern football. By and large, the South's eagerness to rebel evaporated after the forced integration of most public places including high schools and colleges in the late 50s through early 60s. Resistance was seen by most as futile by 1970, and even some of the staunchest defenders of segregation began to back off by that time. The South, I believe, has been bent and broken so much by events like this in history that most people in the region became complacent on such matters. Even though they did not like integration, they had fought it and lost and saw no reason to waste their time further, and no way to succeed at turning it back. The coaches were no different.

I maintain that had they not integrated when they did, lawsuits would have integrated the entire SEC in football just as they did the entire SEC in the classrooms. These coaches, seeing the handwriting on the wall as far as segregation was concerned, began to recruit blacks to save themselves from trouble later down the road with lawsuits, court orders, more federal troops occupying campuses, and such. I don't think we can honestly throw the blame on all SEC coaches for forgetting the white athlete and scrambling to turn their rosters coal black. They were part of the Caste process no doubt, but there were many other factors at work, both before and during that time.

Don Wassall said:
Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones are two more examples. We've mentioned it before here, but I-A programs and NFL teams are in a perverted sense a kind of modern incarnation of the Southern "plantation" with the white "mastuh" benignly presiding over his (multi-millionaire) black charges. J. B. Cash wrote an excellent article comparing the way (the mostly black) players are measured, prodded and ogled at the Combine to the selling of slaves. Everything is set up to benefit the black player over the white, yet the patronizing and pandering to blacks also reflects a deep-seated belief that blacks are not up to white standards.

I made this connection before coming to CF, glad I'm not the only one that sees it. Come to think of it, white slaves (oh, I mean "indentured servants") were similarly discriminated against. So discriminated, in fact, that some wish to deny their existence at all. If it wasn't white slaves being discriminated against, poor white sharecroppers were, in favor of work done by slaves on plantations.Edited by: FieldThrower

johnnyboy

Guru
whiteCB said:
You guys are totally missing the point of what I am saying!!! Yes, the government forced upon integration of southern schools; that's not what I am arguing. What I'm saying is the government didn't come in and say start recruiting black players on your football teams. That was all done by white coaches who fell in love with the black athlete, while completely ignoring the white ones. That my friends is what I meant in my above post. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
smiley5.gif

i completely agree with you whitecb. blaming it on the government is a cop out. white coaches could have recruited a few blacks (preferably ones that werent too ghetto) and played them based only on their athletic merit. instead they let in a few. a couple of those that they let in turn out to be good. then all of a sudden, a bunch of coaches across the nation are recruiting them in droves. a couple of the programs that recruit blacks do well and then the flood gates are completely opened. thats how college football works. everyone copies everyone. look at the spread offense this year. and next year, if air force were to win the national title then two years from now half the teams in fbs would be running the wishbone.

you can't blame integration bc integration was inevitable. there was no way the abuse the blacks faced in the south was going to last forever. no im not wigger or a black lover, i just dont think its feasible to have an established second class citizenry in the south in perpetuity. that wasn't the government's fault. that blame lies with the southern plantation owners and politicians who preferred to convert humans into beasts of burden rather than simply agreeing to pay white men an honest wage for honest work.

99% of the world's problems are due to money or the pursuit there of.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
No arguments here about the love of money being at the root of slavery and segregation, but lets not make the mistake of lumping all slaves into the borders of the South, or acting like everyone had them. Less than one quarter of the men in the South owned even one slave. There were thousands of slaves in the north when The War broke out and, contrary to popular belief, when it was over. That fact in and of itself diffuses the sectional argument about the immorality of southern people. Most of those planters in the South were indebted to northern lenders who were all to eager to let them borrow money to extend the life of slavery in this country. Most of the real money made from slavery was centered above the Mason-Dixon line. Yes, after the war ended and sharecropping took over, the remaining planters and new politicians made decisions that we are still feeling the repercussions of. However, Jim Crow segregation began in northern cities before the war. It wasn't exported into the South en-mass until the 1890s.

As for the SEC coaches being so horrible, yes they did let a lot of dummies in, but some of the first black SEC players were decent acting people. You have to remember, the SEC was the last conference to integrate, not the first. It seems as though you are blaming them for something that was resisted there longer than elsewhere in the country. Oklahoma and USC's 1971 teams had quite a few blacks on them, while Ole Miss and LSU were still all white. Yeah, there is no difference now, but don't throw all the blame on the SEC for something that started elsewhere. If the rest of the country hadn't accepted the black athlete so fast, maybe the SEC would have held out a while longer too. As for me, my knowledge of history, and my experiences, blaming the government isn't a cop out, but a true statement of what part of the problem was. It may be a bitter pill to swallow for some, but hey, at least now you know a little about what it is like to be a southerner.

johnnyboy

Guru
Colonel_Reb said:
No arguments here about the love of money being at the root of slavery and segregation, but lets not make the mistake of lumping all slaves into the borders of the South, or acting like everyone had them. Less than one quarter of the men in the South owned even one slave. There were thousands of slaves in the north when The War broke out and, contrary to popular belief, when it was over. That fact in and of itself diffuses the sectional argument about the immorality of southern people. Most of those planters in the South were indebted to northern lenders who were all to eager to let them borrow money to extend the life of slavery in this country. Most of the real money made from slavery was centered above the Mason-Dixon line. Yes, after the war ended and sharecropping took over, the remaining planters and new politicians made decisions that we are still feeling the repercussions of. However, Jim Crow segregation began in northern cities before the war. It wasn't exported into the South en-mass until the 1890s.

As for the SEC coaches being so horrible, yes they did let a lot of dummies in, but some of the first black SEC players were decent acting people. You have to remember, the SEC was the last conference to integrate, not the first. It seems as though you are blaming them for something that was resisted there longer than elsewhere in the country. Oklahoma and USC's 1971 teams had quite a few blacks on them, while Ole Miss and LSU were still all white. Yeah, there is no difference now, but don't throw all the blame on the SEC for something that started elsewhere. If the rest of the country hadn't accepted the black athlete so fast, maybe the SEC would have held out a while longer too. As for me, my knowledge of history, and my experiences, blaming the government isn't a cop out, but a true statement of what part of the problem was. It may be a bitter pill to swallow for some, but hey, at least now you know a little about what it is like to be a southerner.

Colonel Reb, im not blaming only the SEC for what has transpired over the last 40 some-odd years. to tell you the truth, im just venting man. i see LSU win bowls and Alabama struggle these past years and i get sad (im not an lsu or bama fan) bc i think that great tradition of having great white athletes represent the SEC is gone. probably forever. its like 80 percent darkness on the field now. and while im not saying theres not a lot of great black players in the SEC right now, i am saying that there should be some white representation on the field as well. every time i watch LSU a part of me is praying to see a "Galloping Ghost" running out of the backfield. and im not even an LSU fan, i just watch old games or documentaries on ESPN classics and i cant help but wonder what it was like to have predominately white championship teams. that must have been a sight to see.

anyhoot, i always appreciate your post bc they're inciteful and bc u dont automatically call me a troll if i happen to have a difference of opinion.

take care.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
No problem Johnny Boy, just trying to educate when I can.
smiley4.gif
I too long for those days, and hey, we have a white SEC RB that went over 1,000 yards in Jacob Hester. Thats the first time that has happened since 1970 and 71 when Johnny Musso from Alabama did it twice. If things are to change, it will take a while, but I see some progress at the college level this year. Whether it will keep going over the next several years and translate into a reversal of the last several decades of anti-white bias, I don't know, but all we can do is hope and get the info out there. I'm not an SEC fan anymore. I rooted for Jacob Hester and Craig Steltz this year, but I am no LSU fan and I have never been an Alabama fan. There is really just one team I root for in 1A, and that is Air Force. Having said that, I would love to see the SEC become majority white again too, as well as every team in the country. There is no good reason why they shouldn't be. I know how it is to need to vent, so its cool. Keep your head up man, as we still have plenty of great white athletes to follow until we expose the Caste System and turn back the black tide from our favorite sport.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Anyway there would be virtually no black players at any college if they stuck to following the rules for grades and admissions. The only way to have a lot of black athletes is to lower standards, ignore acedemic rules, and debase the whole educational system.

That's why the service acadamies and the IVY league have majority white teams, they follow their own rules for admissions and grading.Edited by: jaxvid

jaxvid said:
Anyway there would be virtually no black players at any college if they stuck to following the rules for grades and admissions. The only way to have a lot of black athletes is to lower standards, ignore acedemic rules, and debase the whole educational system.

That's why the service acadamies and the IVY league have majority white teams, they follow their own rules for admissions and grading.

I agree with you that athletes shouldn't get scholarships unless they would otherwise be admitted to the school. But, the fact is that a lot of schools out there are not hard to get into. Several states require publicly funded universities to accept anyone who has graduated high school. By virtue of this, many blacks do meet the minimum requirements at a lot of schools. But I absolutely agree, schools like Marquette or Stanford or Notre Dame that are very hard to get into should not have as many blacks as they do on their teams.

Also, the vast majority of black athletes do meet the eligibility requirements. Athletes need a cum GPA of 1.8 their 1st and 2nd year, and at least 2.0 the remaining years. Also, it must be mathematically possible to graduate within five years. If they took all electives and got a 1.8 they'd be eligible for their 2nd year. But if they kept doing they'd be ineligible because even if they had the GPA, they wouldn't be able to meet all their degree requirements within the time frame. And trust me, they do make athletes ineligible based on these.

Of course the athletes can take easy majors like African-American studies, but even then there are certain real classes they'd have to do like basic college math and writing courses. Don't get me wrong, there is a ton of help in the way of tutors, freshman year mentors, required study hours, etc.But this help is made available to all athletes and believe me lots of intelligent white athletes use these resources as well.

I understand that there have been athletes and tutors who have cheated the system where the tutor virtually does the assignments for the athlete. Some of them have been caught, and punished though.

I understand what you're getting at though. Black athletes who don't meet minimum admission requirements shouldn't be at the school in the first place. But I know from experience that all athletes have to follow the requirements, and the ones who don't are in fact ineligible until they once again meet the requirements.

I'm not trying to stand up for black athletes or anything. Just trying to explain the system. Some might be surprised thinking it's harder or maybe easier than they thought to be eligible to compete under NCAA rules. Edited by: Electric Slide

johnnyboy

Guru
wait i always thought notre dame and stanford boasted that their entrance requirements were the same for students and student athletes. is that not the case? i could have sworn i saw an interview w Bob Davie where he talked about that. its always been a reason i root for both stanford and notre dame. any info would be greatly appreciated guys. thanks.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Electric Slide said:
Also, the vast majority of black athletes do meet the eligibility requirements. Athletes need a cum GPA of 1.8 their 1st and 2nd year, and at least 2.0 the remaining years. Also, it must be mathematically possible to graduate within five years. If they took all electives and got a 1.8 they'd be eligible for their 2nd year. But if they kept doing they'd be ineligible because even if they had the GPA, they wouldn't be able to meet all their degree requirements within the time frame. And trust me, they do make athletes ineligible based on these.

Of course the athletes can take easy majors like African-American studies, but even then there are certain real classes they'd have to do like basic college math and writing courses. Don't get me wrong, there is a ton of help in the way of tutors, freshman year mentors, required study hours, etc.But this help is made available to all athletes and believe me lots of intelligent white athletes use these resources as well.

Electric Slide, i know from personal experience that "the system" doesn't work like it is supposed to.

when i was teaching as a grad student at the University of Arkansas, i had a "phenomenal shutdown corner" in one of my classes. it was a basic speech course. this player, Orlando Green, was only taking 9 hours. he failed my course after only bothering to show up three times all semester.

that left him with a maximum of 6 possible hours to pass during the fall semester, which isn't sufficient to stay eligible according to NCAA guidelines.

however, Orlando Green never missed any games, he was never declared academically ineligible until the following year, when it became readily apparent that he couldn't cover a wide receiver with a circus tent. so, does that sound like he had to abide by regular academic standards?

another vivid example, also while i was at the University of Arkansas, is Derek Hood, a highly touted member of the Razorback basketball team. Hood was claimed to be highly intelligent. he was also allegedly a mathematics major. why is this significant?

because when Hood finally used up his collegiate eligibility, he had never, i say NEVER passed Calculus 2. this is strange, because Cal 2 is an pre-requisite class for Math majors and doesn't even count toward their class load in the department.

i find it odd that a MATH MAJOR hasn't passed a basic-level class in his major after using up 4 years of athletic eligibility yet NEVER was declared academically ineligible. don't you? seems like he played by a different set of rules than regular folks.

one last example was Razorback basketball player Kareem Reid. he not only was able to enroll at the U of A with a 13 on his A.C.T., but he was also able to "major" in something that wasn't even in the regular student handbook. that's right. he scored a 13 AND he maintained his eligibility IN A MAJOR THAT DIDN'T EXIST.

so, do you still really think colleges play fair when it comes to their negro afaletes?

White Power

Mentor
Jimmy great post I got one story better their was a UF football player that wanted to add oil to his new car. He did not know that you have to open the hood first, and poured it on the hood of the car I kid you not. This student was allowed to play for the gators with out any common much less book sense. It simply is amazing how stupid some affletes are that make it to college campuses and are allowed to survive without any attending of classes at all. If the NCAA really enforced the rules then most affletes would not qualify to play and the play of the teams would be better with competant players in my opinion. Unless some one brings this to light I'm afraid that the afflete will continue to get an undeserved free ride.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
Electric Slide, i know from personal experience that "the system" doesn't work like it is supposed to....

one last example was Razorback basketball player Kareem Reid. he not only was able to enroll at the U of A with a 13 on his A.C.T., but he was also able to "major" in something that wasn't even in the regular student handbook. that's right. he scored a 13 AND he maintained his eligibility IN A MAJOR THAT DIDN'T EXIST.

so, do you still really think colleges play fair when it comes to their negro afaletes?

Avery informative post. Very frustrating.

Jimmy Chitwood said:
Electric Slide, i know from personal experience that "the system" doesn't work like it is supposed to.

when i was teaching as a grad student at the University of Arkansas, i had a "phenomenal shutdown corner" in one of my classes. it was a basic speech course. this player, Orlando Green, was only taking 9 hours. he failed my course after only bothering to show up three times all semester.

that left him with a maximum of 6 possible hours to pass during the fall semester, which isn't sufficient to stay eligible according to NCAA guidelines.

however, Orlando Green never missed any games, he was never declared academically ineligible until the following year, when it became readily apparent that he couldn't cover a wide receiver with a circus tent. so, does that sound like he had to abide by regular academic standards?

another vivid example, also while i was at the University of Arkansas, is Derek Hood, a highly touted member of the Razorback basketball team. Hood was claimed to be highly intelligent. he was also allegedly a mathematics major. why is this significant?

because when Hood finally used up his collegiate eligibility, he had never, i say NEVER passed Calculus 2. this is strange, because Cal 2 is an pre-requisite class for Math majors and doesn't even count toward their class load in the department.

i find it odd that a MATH MAJOR hasn't passed a basic-level class in his major after using up 4 years of athletic eligibility yet NEVER was declared academically ineligible. don't you? seems like he played by a different set of rules than regular folks.

Jimmy, I understand I'm totally with you with on Kareem Reid should not have gotten into the school with those kind of scores. To the first situation you're referring to, here's how it goes. If indeed the athlete was taking less than 12 credit hours, then yes he should have been ineligible, unless the rules have changed since then. One thing you have to remember is that NCAA rules permit being credited with 2 hours for participation in a varsity sport. So someone would only have to take 10 "real" hours, and by virtue of playing a sport they get 2 more hours to meet the minimum of 12. Based on what you're saying he would still be short one hour. But because of the fact that he didn't withdraw your class it seems that he needed to take the E simply to keep the minimum number of hours.

Now, I do have to correct one thing, 6 is the minimum number of hours that need to be passed to remain eligible the following quarter or semester. This is as long as the cumulative GPA remains at least at a 1.8 for 1st and 2nd year, and 2.0 for 3rd, 4th, and 5th year athletes. Also the athlete would not have been declared ineligible until after the grades had come out for that quarter or semester, which is usually after the football regular season. Even then, he'd still be eligible for post season play (bowl game) even without passing 6 credit hours and/or dipping below a 1.8/2.0 cum, as long as he didn't get a 0.0, which is the only thing that causes immediate ineligibility.

As far as not having passed the Calc 2, I know this may sound absurd but yes technically he could have still finished within 5 years. Theoretically, if he had completed all of his non-major requirements by the end of his 1st semester of his fourth year (end of football season), he could complete 40-45 hours of math major courses in the last year and a half. Remember too that courses taken during the summer also count towards degree progress, but only up to 9 hours per summer (36 total).

Now it seems like there's a lot of loopholes, but really there isn't because there's also hour benchmarks at the the beginning of each school year. For some that needs 120 semester hour, or 180 quarter hours, they would need 20% of those hours completed by the start of each year before being eligible to play. Say some takes only 12 hours one semester/quarter their freshman year, they would need to take 18/33 hours before they can play their sophomore year. You can see how this gets harder is someone needs to withdraw from a class, and make up those hours later. That can make for some heavy course loads in the off-season, or taking class during the summer in order to stay eligible or regain eligibility if classes had been failed.

Either way, I understand that the rules have been cheated, but it is very hard even for the star athletes. While on the teams there are some notable retarded black athletes, a majority of them are actually capable of basic college level work. Now, obviously on average they're at a lower level than white college athletes, but so is the average white college student (at state colleges and smaller private schools). Again, not trying to say it's right if something is going on. Just think there might be some confusion to what the rules are.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
*fantasy alert*
Wouldn't it be great if this site had the resources to hire reporters/researchers into situations like this and get all these academically ineligible affaletes expelled. it would be a way to take on the system without having to go through the media and fans.