Soccer 2021 thread

Phall

Master
We're a bit few and far between in the soccer subforum, so this thread can be a catch-all for general soccer news.

In today's World Cup Qualifiers, the Polish national team players refused to kneel for "racial justice" like their clownish opponents from England.

Ex1J3IzWgAUZSCD

Lewandowski is out for a month with injury, but hopefully Poland can earn a result on the road. England is actually playing an extremely white-friendly lineup today (8/11 starters), but I'll support the team that turns its nose up at the bizarre and offensive global agenda.

Phall

Master
Also in today's WC Qualifiers, Germany lost 2-1 to perennial powerhouse Northern Macedonia. I am recently very down on the composition of the Bayern Munich team, but they may in fact just be mirroring the national team player pool at this point. There were five non-white starters and two foreign substitutes brought on. I imagine none of them would sing even the revised national anthem, although I'm not sure who took a knee. Internationalist coach Joachim Low is really revving up the engines for his successor (he pledged to retire last year but has stayed on for the flu pandemic).

U88z

Also in today's WC Qualifiers, Germany lost 2-1 to perennial powerhouse Northern Macedonia. I am recently very down on the composition of the Bayern Munich team, but they may in fact just be mirroring the national team player pool at this point. There were five non-white starters and two foreign substitutes brought on. I imagine none of them would sing even the revised national anthem, although I'm not sure who took a knee. Internationalist coach Joachim Low is really revving up the engines for his successor (he pledged to retire last year but has stayed on for the flu pandemic).
Germany will have a bid downfall if they shove these these non whites to appease pc bridge,im from Germany and i don't feel any attachment with the team whatsoever

TheBigDawg

Damn sad to see Germany start to turn into a team will start non whites over whites. Hopefully it is only for this game

U88z

Damn sad to see Germany start to turn into a team will start non whites over whites. Hopefully it is only for this game
Bayern Munich lost in quarterfinals vs psg
As the Bayern squad darkened so did the results,last year champions out in quarterfinal.

clement

Guru
neymar names 5 players who he thinks are the most skillful:

-messi
-hazard
-de bruyne
-verratti
-thiago

4 whites, 1 brazilian

clement

Guru
i suspect that this years' results must be really meaningless because of covid
in the french league PSG didn't win the title this year
lille won it, with the grand total of 4 white players who have played at least once over the season :campeon::lol:
2 white starters, both central defenders

Phall

Master
Nice to see Messi get his first international win as the pale-faced Argentine team defeated Brazil's mystery mutants 1-0 in the Copa America final tonight. Argentina's center backs (Otamendi, Romero, Pezzella) were excellent. I was impressed that both teams could threaten so quickly on counterattacks - it made the game seem very wide open even as Brazil put the squeeze on at the end to push for an equalizer. But good grief, these players aren't ashamed to dive. Neymar wasn't necessarily poor, but I never understood the decade of hype as one of the world's best. Messi, on the other hand, is a legend, and sadly missed putting away an easy clincher by his standards on a run that was initiated by his own passing brilliance.

Matra2

Master
Messi had a poor match but a very good tournament overall. The pitch was in bad condition with lots of bobbling. This seems to be a common problem at Copa America tournaments.

Phall

Master
The CONCACAF Gold Cup is a second-tier tournament that often draws a young, third-tier roster from the USA due to its timing in between other fixtures. Last night, the USA’s “C-minus team” routed Martinique, with all five goals and an own goal) coming from black players. The team started just four whites and ended the match with three (two outfield players and the goalie). This bodes very poorly for both the 2022 World Cup squad** and future iterations of this “national” team. It is hard to watch let alone support. This is a total racial overhaul from the 1990s teams that pioneered an international presence.

If we’re counting our blessings for the table scraps, I’m glad that Jackson Yueill (young DCM) seems to have solidified a backup role and Paul Arriola (experienced, versatile central/wide midfielder) also appears to be rated as a safe commodity. Matt Turner has been the best goalie in the MLS for a couple of seasons now and has been overdue for a national team debut. I hope that he and Ethan Horvath (now with Nottingham Forest in the EFL Championship) will be given a true chance to compete against Zach Steffen, rather than appointing the latter permanently for the next ten years.

** they may of course fail to qualify again

clement

Guru
giroud transfered to ac milan from chelsea
i think he should have played in italy instead of england but he probably got offered more money
people who are not from the same region as him might be surprised to see him say he's proud to be of partly (northern) italian descent but that's the norm in the region
hopefully he can secure a place in the french national team for the upcoming years by getting more playing time at his new club and become the all time top goalscorer, as he's getting really close

Matra2

Master
The CONCACAF Gold Cup is a second-tier tournament that often draws a young, third-tier roster from the USA due to its timing in between other fixtures. Last night, the USA’s “C-minus team” routed Martinique, with all five goals and an own goal) coming from black players. The team started just four whites and ended the match with three (two outfield players and the goalie). This bodes very poorly for both the 2022 World Cup squad** and future iterations of this “national” team. It is hard to watch let alone support. This is a total racial overhaul from the 1990s teams that pioneered an international presence.

If we’re counting our blessings for the table scraps, I’m glad that Jackson Yueill (young DCM) seems to have solidified a backup role and Paul Arriola (experienced, versatile central/wide midfielder) also appears to be rated as a safe commodity. Matt Turner has been the best goalie in the MLS for a couple of seasons now and has been overdue for a national team debut. I hope that he and Ethan Horvath (now with Nottingham Forest in the EFL Championship) will be given a true chance to compete against Zach Steffen, rather than appointing the latter permanently for the next ten years.

** they may of course fail to qualify again

Maybe clement can answer this but what happens if a Martinique or Guadeloupe player becomes good enough to play for France? After all, each is a département of France so presumably they can be called up for the national team. If I'm not mistaken once a UK player has played for one of the four home nations at senior level they can't play for any other UK nation.

clement

Guru
Maybe clement can answer this but what happens if a Martinique or Guadeloupe player becomes good enough to play for France? After all, each is a département of France so presumably they can be called up for the national team. If I'm not mistaken once a UK player has played for one of the four home nations at senior level they can't play for any other UK nation.

they are fake teams (not official), like the basque national team, so you can play for both france and this one
but i didn't know that they were represented in tournaments like this

clement

Guru
after missing his penalty in the 2020 euro champs final, black player sandro becomes the most expensive transfer of the summer transfer window so far by signing for manchester united

i think it is bad news for black flop anthony martial, who was the most expensive teenage player when he was bought by united and then flopped
he will have to compete with him so he will probably play much less
it cements him as one of the biggest flops of the past seasons in my opinion

united also has paul pogba, most expensive player ever, who while not as bad a flop as martial has disappointed

second most expensive player of the transfer window is arab marketing player hakimi so far

clement

Guru
today the match between the winner of the french league (surprise winners lille) and the winner of the french cup (super rich arab owned club PSG) was won by lille, 1-0
only goal was scored by white player xeka

lille started 4 whites and PSG 3 whites

the match was played in israel and aparently the arab marketing player hakimi won't win PSG any fans in israel, because he supported palestine on social media, so he was booed for the whole match
but israel is only a small part of the middle east and many arab nations will watch and support PSG because of hakimi

Last edited:

clement

Guru
messi signs for PSG, it will be interesting to see him in a new club and new league
the spanish clubs look less competitive now that ronaldo and messi are gone unfortunately
and madrid might sign mbappe now who for some reason seems to be unhappy about playing with messi and wants to leave PSG
it will be interesting to see how PSG perform in champions league this year

Phall

Master
messi signs for PSG, it will be interesting to see him in a new club and new league
the spanish clubs look less competitive now that ronaldo and messi are gone unfortunately
and madrid might sign mbappe now who for some reason seems to be unhappy about playing with messi and wants to leave PSG
it will be interesting to see how PSG perform in champions league this year

This really just sucks. Apparently Barcelona called La Liga's bluff about salary rules and they stuck to their guns. The team really didn't think the league would let Messi walk away. In American sports leagues, a team would have scrambled to renegotiate other players' contracts to fit in their star.

Messi isn't without some stink after this affair after he ultimately joins the LeBron James Space Jam team. He could have played in MLS or even an average English club. He's not exactly challenging himself here while demanding his elite wages.

I was surprised to learn from Clement that France's top league finisher was Lille (yes?) with barely four whites to their first team sheet. PSG is obviously overloaded as France has yet to inhibit its Arabian investors with any prohibitive spending policies. Amazing that such a super-team did not previously dominate - surely this year will be different. Frankly I'm surprised that Juventus persevered in Torino with its sustained success - part of that has to do with owning its own stadium, but that's another topic I don't know enough about.

clement

Guru
This really just sucks. Apparently Barcelona called La Liga's bluff about salary rules and they stuck to their guns. The team really didn't think the league would let Messi walk away. In American sports leagues, a team would have scrambled to renegotiate other players' contracts to fit in their star.

Messi isn't without some stink after this affair after he ultimately joins the LeBron James Space Jam team. He could have played in MLS or even an average English club. He's not exactly challenging himself here while demanding his elite wages.

I was surprised to learn from Clement that France's top league finisher was Lille (yes?) with barely four whites to their first team sheet. PSG is obviously overloaded as France has yet to inhibit its Arabian investors with any prohibitive spending policies. Amazing that such a super-team did not previously dominate - surely this year will be different. Frankly I'm surprised that Juventus persevered in Torino with its sustained success - part of that has to do with owning its own stadium, but that's another topic I don't know enough about.

in MLS he wouldn't play champions league, in an average english club either
i think that's the challenge here, to bring PSG to champions league success

Phall

Master
Messi could "play Champions League" for 30 other teams, and for what? he got his domestic trophy this year.

I am not excited to watch the PSG superteam manage their egos. I hope they lose early.

clement

Guru
Messi could "play Champions League" for 30 other teams, and for what? he got his domestic trophy this year.

I am not excited to watch the PSG superteam manage their egos. I hope they lose early.

but is PSG really worse than those other big clubs like chelsea or manchester city with their very rich owners too?
the thing is it's more noticeable in the french league to have a club spend this much because it would be impossible without huge foreign investment (because the taxes are too high in france) but is it really worse than the other big clubs

Phall

Master
you are changing the goalposts a bit, my friend :)

is Messi worse off than at an English side? He would at least have to perform against other conglemerations of billionaires five times on the road and five times at home. (realistically all 19 owners are billionaires though)

the french league sucks, it is an all-black league, maybe there are steps to rectify this but probably not because it would be racist. PSG isn't even the top league team and they clearly only care about champions league, as they should.

i still would say he should have gone to MLS, played in Miami, made the same money, pulled other players up with him.

clement

Guru
you are changing the goalposts a bit, my friend :)

is Messi worse off than at an English side? He would at least have to perform against other conglemerations of billionaires five times on the road and five times at home. (realistically all 19 owners are billionaires though)

the french league sucks, it is an all-black league, maybe there are steps to rectify this but probably not because it would be racist. PSG isn't even the top league team and they clearly only care about champions league, as they should.

i still would say he should have gone to MLS, played in Miami, made the same money, pulled other players up with him.

i don't need to move the goalposts since i don't really think one way or another about this, i'm just going to hope messi can be successful because he is the best player ever and i want him to succeed even more

i think an english premier league club could have signed him but they seemed too busy with other players and the big clubs have to limit their spendings too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Financial_Fair_Play_Regulations

Sean89

Mentor
I was disappointed with Messi signing for PSG. Bit boring for me, the league isn't top tier and PSG main concern is the Champions League. Which for all its allure is still a knock out cup competition essentially.

Glad he didn't go to MLS just yet, but in some ways I'd of actually preferred he went to that retirement league than sign for PSG.

A few years back he asked his agent to check the feasibility of a move to Arsenal, that was under Wenger and Arsenal have free fallen the last few years.

English Premier League was the only other league were he would have stayed in the prime time spotlight weekly. As big a star that Messi is , he's on the tail end of his career and the Premier League Brand is undisputed.

The problem with a move to England was Man City had invested in Grealish, Man Utd in Bruno and Chelsea have Kai and other young talent to nourish.

Sean89

Mentor
Pulisic scored in a dominant Chelsea win. Reyna on target for Dortmund along with Haaland and Hazard .

Dortmund a really good club for young talent .