Slow Black Running Backs Play Forever

Kaptain

Master
Wow! a little defensive about Brett Favre are we? I do have to laugh because I live in Minnesota and run into a lot Packers fans who are the same way. Favre is a hall of famer and should have made the pro bowl instead of Ron Mexico last year.

In your adoration of Favre why so critical of Bill Shroeder? Not getting offered a contract is the same as saying see you later. As I believe Don wass pointed out on this site much earlier, he did not drop a lot of passes, in fact, he dropped the least amount according to official stats. Its easy to criticize him and say look at what he did after he left GB but the same could be said of any rejected reciever playing for Detriot or Tampa Bay. All Shroeder did was be the leading reciever for the three years that he was given the opportunity to start. There is no grand conspiracy against Brett Favre or the GB Packers. He is probably the most adored white football player of all time. His father died, his wife has cancer, he's considering retirement, and he's getting a hair cut on Thursday. We get updates daily on him and his greatness from the media; now can we please stop talking about him.

speedster

Mentor
It's bad enough we have this constant man-love for Favre,but what is worse is the myth about the greatness of the Green Bay Packers.The most overated so called,great franchises of all-time.The Packers were easily the best team of 60's,but where were they at the end of that decade,and during the 70's and 80's and early 90's.Nowhere.They were one of the worst franchises out there for a long time.I don't know how you can turn a blind-eye to that.Guys like Chris Berman would have you believe the Packers were in constant contention from the start,but that is not true.By the way,Berman is the best PR man the Packers have,he established the myth with constant references to Lambeau field and the dominance of the great Packer teams.Secound best PR man is Madden who keeps talking about the great history of Lambeau,yet can anyone remember any other game played there,besides the Ice Bowl,that was considered historic.I laugh at their so-called great playoff record at Lambeau.The Packers were too busy losing regular season games at Lambeau,so they weren't able to host many playoff games.I guess the two most important men in their history would have to be Lombardi and Favre,since they stunk for a good decade before Lombardi's arrival and stunk for two and a half decades after he left,which brought us to the Favre era.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Man, this thread's taken on a life of it's own, spinning off little rabbit trails. Highwayman, let me make your day with a critique of Bill Schroeder. I never said he was the best thing since sliced bread. He was not very durable, seemed to be hurt often and had a hard time playing thru injuries. But the incident with Mike (the strangler) Holmgren started the intense scrutiny which made it very difficult for him to play. Every mistake , miscue or gaffe was magnified to absurd proportions, never did he get the benefit so many of his peers enjoyed.

If he started a game with a good catch or play , he was off to the races, you could see the confidence build and he would often make highlight film grabs. If he started slow or with a drop you could just see by the look on his face, it was not going to be a good day. He was under so much scutiny, he knew he'd be the whipping boy in every sports show for the week. No, I don't think he handled pressure well at all, he was too tightly wrapped. That said, I always cheered him on and watched the game hoping he would do well. If he was arrogant or brash he certainly didn't approach the levels of a Keyshawn Johnson, or Moss, or Owens or a hundred other guys. Finally... a local boy I could root for!! I make no apologies for favoring him.Edited by: Bart

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'll sum up my thoughts on Brett Favre by saying he is a Great PC Quarterback. He is great, no doubt. He is definitely a throwback. He is still better than most QB's. He does know how to play the PC game and does it when he needs to.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Highwayman, I just realized I missed some of your post.

You wrote:He had a few good years for the Packers and wanted to cash in, I can't blame him and being a local boy I'm sure he might have given us a Packer discount

What is so hard to understand?You imply hestiffed the Packers, bolting for another team to get big bucks. He was in no position to give a Discount, they told him to take a hike, along with Bradford, Lee and then Freeman. Besides , he never made any dough, he was only at the minimum for most of his career, finally working up to about 700-800 K.

If he was a big ticket item, Ican understand having huge expectations and disappointments. But for gosh sakes, he was always the lowest paid guy even for the numbers he produced. For what they paid him, relatively, he was a huge bargain.He gets dumped, Detroit offers him more cash than he's ever made and you think he screwed the Packers? That's just nutty.! What does itmatter to you any way if the Packers everrun into cap troubles? You claim your man would play for free, well ask him to, for the team. Be sure to tell me what he says.

Highwayman

Bart I don't wanna fight with you. I liked Billy Schroeder too and enjoyed him playing for the Packers but came to the conclusion we weren't winning with him. Maybe it was the fault of our HoF QB, whatever, I don't wanna get into it. If I want that sort of discussion any number of Vikings or Eagles sites will tell me what a pathetic POS Brett Favre is. I'm sure they're delighted you agree with them.