six white starters above average, five below

referendum

Mentor
I believe last year there were about 170 white starters in the NFL, which amounted to a pathetic 5.3 starters per team. So, using that as a criteria, a team with 6 and up is relatively white friendly, 5 or less relatively un-white friendly. Obviously, a starting white QB or WR, or white cornerback or safety, is more significant for us at CF than a white right guard, but I'll use the number 6 as a starting point for assessing a teams friendliness to white players.

backrow

Hall of Famer
TJR and the college guys had a pretty good system of rating the recruiting classes, i think something similar might work better as a formula here as well.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
6 sounds about right to me for a bare minimum of fairness. All NFL teams are racist against whites but some are worse than others.

devans

Mentor
6 out of 22 sounds a bit low to me. Here is my reasoning of what sounds reasonable to me.
Offence
80% of QB's, 80% of offensive linemnen, 25% Wide receivers, 50% Tight ends, 20% of RB's and FB's. Averages out at about 50% = 5.5 players
Defence
45% of linemen, 45% of linebackers, 30% Safeties, 10% of cornerbacks averages out of at about 33% = 3.5 players
Total = 9 players out of 22.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
where are you getting your numbers, gentlemen?

devans

Mentor
Sorry - should have been more clear.
I am not satisfied that 6 out of 22 is "fair" or "white friendly". Ok it is better than 3, 4 or 5, but still low in my opinion.
Those percentages that I came up with (for example 80% of QB starters = white) are just made up by me. It is my opinion of what percentage of all starting NFL QB's would be white if they picked the best man for the job right now, with the players available right now.You may think 80% is a bit low and think 85% or 90%.
So if you combine all these percentages (weighting the percentages for offensive linemnen because there are 5 of them, etc) then you can get overall percentages for 22 starters and then work out how many this makes out of 22.
I came up with 9.
So my definition of a team being fair is 9 white starters.
I don't think this is unreasonable. For example imagine a team with just 1 white safety, a white linebacker a 2 white defensive linemen, a white QB a white TE, and3 white offensive linemen and you are there.
Hope this explains things.
Edited by: devans