Silvia vs. Couture...Who Do Ya Like?

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Who do ya'll like Big Timmy vs. the Natural? I think if Tim's take-down defense is solid, he might drop Randy. I have a gut feeling Silvia wins by decision or KO/TKO. What say ya'll?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I hate to say it Dixie, but I pick Big Timmy, too. I think he KO's Randy. But I've been wrong before, and I hope I am again.

Either way, Randy or Timmy, the winner gets KO'd by Cro Cop.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Rooting for Couture but think Sylvia tko's him in the 2nd round. Ditto to Shoguns comment about Cro Cop. He's the cream of the crop(no pun intended) among the UFC heavyweights.

dkr77

Guru
I'm going with Tim Sylvia via KO of Randy Couture. I think Randy is going to find it very difficult to get close to Sylvia (due to his jab/reach) and if he does manage to get close I think Couture is going to have a hard time getting Tim down and keeping him down.

I'm also curious about the Franklin / McDonald fight. I'm impressed with McDonald but I think Franklin will win with his striking. If McDonald get's it to the ground though Franklin maybe in for a long night.

Lastly, I think Hughes put's a beating on Lytle (although I really like Lytle). Anyone know what other fight's are taking place on the card?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
UFC 68: MARCH 3, 2007 IN COLUMBUS, OHIO (Nationwide Arena)

Main Card Bouts:
-Tim Sylvia vs. Randy Couture
-Matt Hughes vs. Chris Lytle
-Rich Franklin vs. Jason MacDonald
-Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Jason Lambert
-Martin Kampmann vs. Drew McFedries

Preliminary Bouts:
-Jon Fitch vs. Luigi Fioravanti
-Matt Hamill vs. Rex Holman
-Gleison Tibau vs. Jason Dent
-Jamie Varner vs. Jason Gilliam

I don't know why Kampmann v McFedries is a main card bout. I'd rather see Fitch v Fioravanti.

Honestly, I'm drawing a blank on most of these guys. I haven't taken the time to look up their records on Sherdog. I recognize Hamill from TUF of course, the rest of their names are familiar but I can't think of who they've fought or what I thought of those fights without research.

I expect Babalu v Lambert to be more competitive than Hughes v Lytle. I think Sobral submits Lambert, Hughes crucifies Lytle, and Franklin beats MacDonald. Too much too soon for the TUF Killa.

Basically, I'm picking all the favorites to win, and you know that rarely (never) happens, so one of those guys will lose Saturday.

Troy_Bruno

DixieDestroyer said:
Who do ya'll like Big Timmy vs. the Natural? I think if Tim's take-down defense is solid, he might drop Randy. I have a gut feeling Silvia wins by decision or KO/TKO. What say ya'll?

Well I know one thing: My money is on the white guy. yeah, brathuh

nhl411

Guru
just out of curiosity, how come it seems everyone here doesn't like sylvia? isnt he white?

dkr77

Guru
I like Sylvia. But some people complain about him being boring and just fighting to win instead of knocking his opponent out. I would also imagine that so many people admire Randy Couture that they simply root for Couture instead of against Sylvia. Whatever the reason both of these guy's are great competitors and good men. I certainly enjoy watching both of them compete.Edited by: dkr77

dkr77

Guru
The Kampman / Mcfedries bout may turn out to be a back and forth war. Kampman looked to have sound muay thai skills, but questionable power, and the mulatto Mcfedries seemd to be able to take a pretty good punch when he fought Sakera. I think this may be one of the better fight's and I'll take Kampmann as the winner. Kampmann by third round KO.

I'll also go with Babalu over Lambert. Babalu looked bad against Chuck Liddell but then again Liddell make's a lot of people look bad. Babalu by submission.

Mark Hamil has great wrestling skill's but so far I have been unimpressed with him. I know nothing about Rex Holman but I'm still going to pick him to beat Hamil. Holman by third round TKO.

The rest of the fighter's I know little or nothing about so I'll leave it at that.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
I think Sylvia is too big for Couture who is now too old. Couture has a better chance with Sylvia than he did with Liddel because Sylvia is easier to get close to, in my opinion. But Couture is no Fedor and Sylvia's ground game seems good enough to stifle Couture's.

Alpha Male

Mentor
I thought Tim Sylvia was a heavyweight while Randy Couture was a light-heavyweight. Did Randy bulk up for this fight?Edited by: Alpha Male

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Couture has held both titles. He has and will put weight on for this fight. He cannot, however, gain 60-70 pounds or make himself taller.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I don't know what Tim Sylvia's ethnicity is for a fact, but he certainly looks white enough, although a bit neanderthal.
smiley2.gif

Sylvia used to be a serious bad a**. Frank Mir broke his arm and Sylvia kept on fighting. Herb Dean saw the break and stopped the fight and Sylvia was pissed the fight was stopped. He said later that he learned in that fight to avoid serious injuries like that, and unfortunately for us fans, it shows.

I think he was also banned for a short time for steroids. He claimed it wasn't to boost performance but to improve his physique. He is one ugly, gangly dude, too, so I can see why he would want to improve his looks. I'm just not sure steroids without weight lifting and cardio is the way to do it. Nor am I sure that Sylvia's physique can even be improved. He just has a weird shape.
smiley5.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
nhl411 said:
just out of curiosity, how come it seems everyone here doesn't like sylvia? isnt he white?
I respect Sylvia and I think he is a very good fighter. The problem is I like almost all the other heavyweights better, Couture is a legend and a class act, Cro Cop is the best heavyweight in the world after Fedor and unlike Sylvia, he is cut and sculpted, same for Arlovski, and I really like Heath Herring and I hope his recent showing is a abberation and not indicative of his future in the UFC. Sylvia is a acquired taste that I haven't acquired yet.

JD074

Master
Speaking of Herring, isn't it weird that Brad Imes is his next opponent? I think that's so strange.

guest301

Hall of Famer
If he doesn't beat Imes, so long Herring. Back to Japan, if they will have you. I am a fan of his. I love the past fights in Pride that I have seen him in, his ring entrance,charisma and personality. But if he doesn't beat Imes......
smiley5.gif

dkr77

Guru
I think Imes will give Herring a lot of trouble and probably beat him. I'm also very interested in Antoni Hardonk the dutch muay thai fighter. This is a big stout guy with impressive skill's and I hope the UFC put's him in with someone like Chieck Kongo. I love watching the brutha's get beat on
smiley36.gif
Edited by: dkr77

dkr77

Guru
"I don't know what Tim Sylvia's ethnicity is for a fact, but he certainly looks white"

Shogun, Sylvia is very proud of his Scottish heritage and often wears a kilt to the cage.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
dkr77 said:
"I don't know what Tim Sylvia's ethnicity is for a fact, but he certainly looks white"

Shogun, Sylvia is very proud of his Scottish heritage and often wears a kilt to the cage.

I forgot about that!!
smiley9.gif

I never doubted he was white, but there were others asking about it further up on the thread.

Poacher

Mentor
Can't wait to see Hughes and Franklin back in the cage. Would have liked to have seen Fitch but he isn't getting much attention from the UFC for some reason. Not going to shell out 40 bucks for it on ppv. Going to a sports bar/ tavern to watch it for 5$. Watched the last one this way and it was alright.

dkr77

Guru
I think he will outstrike him and just generally outmuscle / outwork him. I don't remember Herring being stopped before so my guess is a decision for Imes. However, my crystal ball has a tendency to cloud up every now and then
smiley5.gif